Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gawain The Blind posted:

So many amazing Sam Raimi camera shots. Like the "Ash puts his face really close to obvious danger" shot.

You would think after 30 years, that loving cabin, and being warped to the Middle Ages* that Ash would learn not to do poo poo like this.

But nope, because Ash.

(* This happened, no one ever talks about it, and Ash himself doesn't see at as particularly unusual so he never brings it up. You can't convince me otherwise. :colbert:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

You would think after 30 years, that loving cabin, and being warped to the Middle Ages* that Ash would learn not to do poo poo like this.

But nope, because Ash.

(* This happened, no one ever talks about it, and Ash himself doesn't see at as particularly unusual so he never brings it up. You can't convince me otherwise. :colbert:)

he's just a glutton for punishment

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

etalian posted:

he's just a glutton for punishment

Or a tremendous clod with no pattern recognition skills

Or both

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
That was a lot of fun and I hope that future episodes can keep up that kind of pace, but am skeptical.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Chokes McGee posted:

I'd say Bruce Campbell kicking his own rear end but that's already happened.

Twice.

I just want to go back to this post and note that the series has already delivered.

Thank you and gods bless.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I'm glad some reviewers have already said the 2nd episode is as good as the first, I'm dreading it pulling a Walking Dead, because the first episode was fantastic.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
That was simply fan-loving-tastic! Far exceeded my expectations! :neckbeard:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Brown Moses posted:

I'm glad some reviewers have already said the 2nd episode is as good as the first, I'm dreading it pulling a Walking Dead, because the first episode was fantastic.

On the other hand, some reviewers have said that the 2nd episode isn't as good as the first. The important thing to remember is that there's six different directors this season, and Raimi only did the pilot.

Pilot: Sam Raimi
Ep. 2-3: Michael J. Bassett
Ep. 4-5: David Frazee
Ep. 6-7: Michael Hurst
Ep. 8-9: Tony Tilse
Ep. 10: Rick Jacobson

I'm not really gonna be bothered by a bit of fluctuation episode to episode though - Bruce Campbell can carry this show for miles if he has to. :shrug:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Nov 1, 2015

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I dislike Sam Raimi but I like Bruce Campbell

I will give this show a watch, to see what is up

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I just had to pause after 5 minutes and just yell into the forums void how much I loved that opening. This show is going to be amazing. It's like he never left

:goonsay: *and* my favorite podcast host, Sean Clements, is on the writing staff!

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:
It was OK. Nothing spectacular and quite a bit over-hyped. Not saying it was bad, but nothing that hooked me straight away. It's a shame, I expected more. I'm sure many of you are seeing it through rose-tinted glasses and if it didn't have the names of Bruce Campbell and Evil Dead attached to it you'd rip the show to pieces.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

^ Uh, obviously, we wanted an Evil Dead 4 and we got it by way of TV series.
No poo poo that this is going to be a nostalgia fueled ride?

Brown Moses posted:

I think it'd have to work very hard to be as bad as The Walking Dead, this is goofy slapstick while TWD is a piss poor drama.
Though, I suppose it could have a few trying-too-hard-to-be-funny moments and be cringey more than anything... :ohdear:

Deakul fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 1, 2015

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Caryna posted:

It was OK. Nothing spectacular and quite a bit over-hyped. Not saying it was bad, but nothing that hooked me straight away. It's a shame, I expected more. I'm sure many of you are seeing it through rose-tinted glasses and if it didn't have the names of Bruce Campbell and Evil Dead attached to it you'd rip the show to pieces.

Yeah, I guess you're right? But... it was Evil Dead, and it did have Bruce Campbell. That argument loving sucks.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Caryna posted:

You're dumb

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Caryna posted:

"Well if it didn't have an awesome, beloved actor in it you might not like it as much so there"

This was amazing. I was smiling from ear to ear by the end. Bruce Campbell is a national treasure

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

Caryna posted:

For as hard as Campbell and crew were selling it, what we got was definitely way overhyped and a letdown. Without the nostalgia goggles it was probably one of the weakest shows ever. It's not on par with any of the past films in any way. The CGI is jarring and everything felt kind of awkward, poorly edited and forced(not talking about Raimi's style shots, either). The soundtracks that were playing loving sucked. ValueMart chick(Kelly?) was awful. Overall it was just poorly done. With Raimi stepping back, hopefully they got all the nostalgia garbage out of their system and we can move on to a better second episode but how much better can get at only 30 minutes a pop? Who loving does that anymore? It felt like a webisode more than an episode of something. I'm saying it was bad.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
What was wrong with Kelly? She had a good scene when she was face-chatting with her father and kind of trying to look around him.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I mean, if you don't like it there's a billion other good shows to watch.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Invalid Validation posted:

I mean, if you don't like it there's a billion other good shows to watch.

Too few with Bruce.
That "I can call you that because..." speech slayed me.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

If you hate seeing Bruce kill deadites again then you probably aren't a fun person.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hopefully those that didn't enjoy the pilot will stop watching instead of bitching about how much the show sucks every week.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I can confirm that objectively the pilot owned.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Between this and Scream Queens it's a good time for batshit bloody horror-comedy on television.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Kelly is obviously going to go through some kind of arc, she's barely done anything yet. Same thing with the cop.

I don't expect future episodes to have Raimi's manic style, but if the writing/dialogue stays up to par and the inventive gore remains (which it should) then I'll be happy. Bruce covers everything else.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

GreenNight posted:

Hopefully those that didn't enjoy the pilot will stop watching instead of bitching about how much the show sucks every week.

Hi welcome to TVIV, this must be your first time posting here

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Saw it tonight, incredible! Pretty much the best episode of TV ever produced. Bruce let loose like this with this kind of material, directed by Raimi no less, that's some groovy TV!

I suspect the subsequent episodes will be fairly close in style too, with TV the showrunners and whatnot usually kind of set the tone and people stick with it. Take Joss Whedon's shows, many directors, but it was all pretty smooth, plenty of great episodes were directed by others while having a similar look etc. I'm sure we'll see Raimi's signature first person flying evil shot and whatnot plenty more times.

And just hot drat, Bruce Campbell unleashed like this, he is the master of comedy and badassery. This show is a gift.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Rocksicles posted:

Modding these dinguses has swallowed your soul

Don't blame it on us. The sickness is inside him.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm sure we'll see Raimi's signature first person flying evil shot and whatnot plenty more times.

I cannot possibly express how happy I am that evil still, still, has an outboard motor. :neckbeard:

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 1, 2015

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
My favorite bit was the magically refilling clay pots when Ash was smashing them into the doll. I'm a simple man who loves simple gags.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jamesman posted:

My favorite bit was the magically refilling clay pots when Ash was smashing them into the doll. I'm a simple man who loves simple gags.

The light bulb gag made me laugh the most for some reason.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Jamesman posted:

the magically refilling clay pots

:confused:

There were three unstacked pots at arm's reach, and he used them. Ash makes do.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

I liked it but really wish there was not CGI blood :(

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Alehkhs posted:

:confused:

There were three unstacked pots at arm's reach, and he used them. Ash makes do.

Are you sure? It looked like he was grabbing a pot off the shelf, leaving an empty spot on the shelf. The camera would pan back over to him hitting the doll with the pot, then he'd reach back over to grab another pot which was at the exact same spot as the last one he grabbed.

Coulda sworn that's what was happening. Quick, to the gifs!

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Jamesman posted:

Are you sure? It looked like he was grabbing a pot off the shelf, leaving an empty spot on the shelf. The camera would pan back over to him hitting the doll with the pot, then he'd reach back over to grab another pot which was at the exact same spot as the last one he grabbed.

Coulda sworn that's what was happening. Quick, to the gifs!

I wish that's what it was, because it would have made it much easier to gif.

Here's a better-looped one with just the last pot:

And here's some bonus Ash:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 1, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

X-O posted:

I... did not really care for that. And it makes me wonder if I was seeing the original movies again for the first time right now if I'd even like them because it seemed pretty in line with the movies. It's been a couple years since I saw them and now I almost don't want to watch them again in case I find my taste has changed so much that it would ruin my memories of them. I'm not sure I'll watch anymore of this show at this point and that's really sad. Again it's nothing the show did but I just didn't find myself enjoying it at all.

I'd definitely not go so far as to say I "didn't enjoy it at all" because I did enjoy it, it just feels very Now Raimi. Drag Me To Hell was okay, but not really all that good, and this felt in-line with that more than the old movies. I have faith that it'll get a lot better though, the pilot had to reintroduce all this old baggage (the universe I mean, not Bruce) and then from there it'll probably get good and crazy.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Hollismason posted:

I liked it but really wish there was not CGI blood :(

I wonder if in the next 10-20 years we're going to start seeing people who are nostalgic for obviously fake CGI blood the way people now are nostalgic for obviously fake practical blood.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Maxwell Lord posted:

There were definitely some fun Raimi visual flourishes throughout. Solid pilot.

Continuity wise it looks like they're fooling around with whatever makes a good story yet again- there's no indication he ever went back in time like he does at the end of EDII.

I figure they kept that out because that would have taken a lot of explaining. Way too much for a pilot. It'd been a mistake to get into it now, even if they ultimately keep it.

... it's honestly something probably better to ignore for the first season, if not forever.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

They don't have the rights to anything pertaining to Army of Darkness so they can't mention anything about it sadly.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Blazing Ownager posted:

I figure they kept that out because that would have taken a lot of explaining. Way too much for a pilot. It'd been a mistake to get into it now, even if they ultimately keep it.

... it's honestly something probably better to ignore for the first season, if not forever.

In interview Raimi said that the continuity is loose as always, and compared it to the Clint Eastwood Man With No Name movies. I don't worry about the continuity too much. Could also compare it to the Mad Max movies in that way.

I don't think ignoring it in particular is something they need to do, but I liked how somebody put it earlier in the topic, it's just no big deal to Ash so he doesn't bring it up these days. But considering this show is renewed for a second season and will probably get at least four or five seasons (if not five hundred), I could see him time traveling or something by season 4. But let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Deakul posted:

They don't have the rights to anything pertaining to Army of Darkness so they can't mention anything about it sadly.

He could always just make a nod or two to how medieval society was a bunch of primitive screwheads, or just have his gauntlet on a shelf, etc. From some earlier pictures of the show They end up at a Renaissance fair it looks like. I bet some jokes/references may occur.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I'm terrible at this, but I figured as long as I was looking at the flowerpots, I could try and make an avatar:

Someone can probably do this better than I. v:shobon:v

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 1, 2015

• Locked thread