Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Plasma-F torpedoes hold for free and start the game armed. Each Ready Rack holds an additional charge. They are armed like any other Plasma-F (3 turns of 1-1-3 power). Assume every Gladiator you see is armed with a Plasma-F.

Why yes, Hydrans are hilariously good at arming their Fusion Fighters. And they bring oh so many to a fight.

EDIT:

I just double checked - I've overloaded 4/6 of my Hellbores, and I can't de-overload them to fire past range 10. Oh well, onto ships they can go!

berryjon fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I'm back, but I won't be able to run the turn until tomorrow. Thus, order deadline is 24 hours.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Shoeless, do you want to make any changes to the movement plot, or shall we keep diving in while keeping the same Break Conditions?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

berryjon posted:

Shoeless, do you want to make any changes to the movement plot, or shall we keep diving in while keeping the same Break Conditions?

Keep going.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Gnoman: You heard my fellow!

Keep moving Straight ahead,, while keeping the same Breaks as before.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Impulse 2

Anarchist launches a fighter

Fighter Launches from Small Auxiliary Carrier

Uncloaked War Eagle (This was never cloaked to begin with, which I think I overlooked in some of my updates, it is directly south of the #2 C8) transports 2 crew to D6 #2

Uncloaked War Eagle (This was never cloaked to begin with, which I think I overlooked in some of my updates, it is directly south of the #2 C8) transports 2 crew to D6 #2

Impulse 3

Impulse 4

Impulse 5

Impulse 6

Fighter Launches from Small Auxiliary Carrie

Impulse 7

Impulse 8

Romulan War Eagle in arc R from all Hydran ships, range 4

Romulan War Eagle in arc LF from all Hydran ships, range 20
Romulan War Eagle in arc LF from all Hydran ships, range 20

KF5 Frigate in arc LF from all Hydran ships, range 17
KF5 Frigate in arc RF from all Hydran ships, range 27

KR+ Cruiser in arc LF from all Hydran ships, range 22

BREAK CONDITION "Detection of a romulan unit within 10 hexes" triggered.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Could we get another copy of the picture but with labels turned on please?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Gnoman posted:

That's not good. Hey Shoeless, want to make a sharp right and go subhunting?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Shoeless posted:

Could we get another copy of the picture but with labels turned on please?

I've been leaving the labels off in this scenario because the board's so cluttered. I can change that policy if you like.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

We don't need to see the names of the empty ships - except perhaps for one in each line up so we know which is which.

Edit - Shoeless, should I fire some my standard Hellbores at the incoming fighters? From the situation and our plans, most of our damage is going to come from Fusions, so I feel that it won't be a waste.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 25, 2015

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

berryjon posted:

We don't need to see the names of the empty ships - except perhaps for one in each line up so we know which is which.

It isn't easy to remove them - the token properties get all screwed up. Producing this

is possible, but I have to edit each individual ship if I don't manage to close Maptool before it autosaves or I lose the ability to turn them.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

berryjon posted:

Edit - Shoeless, should I fire some my standard Hellbores at the incoming fighters? From the situation and our plans, most of our damage is going to come from Fusions, so I feel that it won't be a waste.

berryjon posted:

That's not good. Hey Shoeless, want to make a sharp right and go subhunting?

I say we stick with the plan. Get to R8 of the freighters by the end of the turn and blast them. Let's not get distracted by the romulan ship in our R arc. As you say, you can afford to use the hellbores so firing off some of them at incoming fighters sounds like a sound plan to me.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Conditional Fire Order:

IF there are at least two Romulan Fighters within Range 15, and in my FA arc of the Anarchist, use 3 points of Battery (i.e. all) to raise my ECCM to 4. Fire a single standard Hellbore at the nearest Romulan Fighter (lowest launch number if tied). If it hits, (10 damage on a 2-7 on 2d6), then on the next impulse repeat with the next closest Romulan Fighter. If the first shot misses, then on the subsequent impulse fire the second standard Hellbore at the same target.

(ECCM to 4 cancels the +2 ECM inherent to fighters, and the +2 for the Small Target Modifier at this range for an even shot)

BREAK CONDITIONS
  • Detection or presence of a Romulan Fighter or Ship at Range 10 or less.
  • Detection of a Plasma Torpedo
  • Detection of, or activation of a Mine

Gnoman, is the above clear and easy to understand?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

berryjon posted:

Gnoman, is the above clear and easy to understand?

Quite clear. I'll get to the turn soon.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I've just realized that an error has been made. I did not check the Master Fighter Chart prior to the scenario, and the Stinger-I is only speed 12, not speed 15. It's too late to correct it in the scenario, so I will be treating this as a prototype upgrade.

Impulse 9

Anarchist shifts battery power into ECCM
Anarchist fires Hellbore C at Gladiator I fighter. Shot hits despite some remaining ECM effect. Gladiator I fighter destroyed!

Hellbore roll (with -1 malus): 7

Impulse 10

Anarchist fires Hellbore D at Gladiator I fighter. The shot misses cleanly!

Hellbore roll (with -1 malus): 11

Impulse 11

Impulse 12

Impulse 16

Orders for second half are due in 48 hours

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Gnoman posted:

I've just realized that an error has been made. I did not check the Master Fighter Chart prior to the scenario, and the Stinger-I is only speed 12, not speed 15. It's too late to correct it in the scenario, so I will be treating this as a prototype upgrade.

Don't fret! There is a St-1+ (a Stinger 1 with a ST-2 engine, or equivalent upgrade) mentioned in Captain's Log #21 - YIS Y168, 9BVP.

quote:

Anarchist shifts battery power into ECCM
Anarchist fires Hellbore C at Gladiator I fighter. Shot hits despite some remaining ECM effect. Gladiator I fighter destroyed!

Which source of ECM did I miss?

SHOELESS

We are now range 9 from the enemy fighters; did you want to start firing fusions from our ships on them (assuming standard loads), or wait until R8, and let me fire some more Hellbores?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

berryjon posted:

Don't fret! There is a St-1+ (a Stinger 1 with a ST-2 engine, or equivalent upgrade) mentioned in Captain's Log #21 - YIS Y168, 9BVP.
I'll still have to fluff it as an early prototype (much as I'm doing with the KR+, which was a similiar "Didn't check the book" error) as we're in Y165 because I wanted to kick off the General War a bit early.

quote:

Which source of ECM did I miss?

Carrier is lending 2 points - As far as I can, there's no Tactical Intelligence level that would reveal this.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

berryjon posted:

SHOELESS

We are now range 9 from the enemy fighters; did you want to start firing fusions from our ships on them (assuming standard loads), or wait until R8, and let me fire some more Hellbores?

I'll wait until R8, you keep on hellboring. If I can, I'd like to devote a few phasers taking out those admin shuttles. I imagine they're bringing crew to other ships.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Gnoman posted:

Carrier is lending 2 points - As far as I can, there's no Tactical Intelligence level that would reveal this.

The response:

quote:

Jon Berry :
Under (D17.26) the level of ECM is factored into the calculation of the level of intelligence gained. Since you need to know the ECM first, and absent a specific rule covering the situation, the only thing that can be done is to defer to (D6.315) and (D6.32) which require all EW to be announced immediately.

So, what's the EW status of everything we can see?

Shoeless posted:

I'll wait until R8, you keep on hellboring. If I can, I'd like to devote a few phasers taking out those admin shuttles. I imagine they're bringing crew to other ships.

Don't worry about the Admin shuttles. At most, they can hold 2 crew units, and the damage has been done.

I don't have any more standard HBs, so there's no option to fire now. But I can start firing off over loads at R8. Keep your fusions for ships, and phasers for anti-plasma work as there's no way I'll be able to kill all the fighters with my heavy weapons.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Alright. I'm tempted to have my fighters use their fusions against enemy fighters, though at these ranges it would take double charges.... The logic being, we don't have to worry about plasma torps from the fighters if the fighters are dead. While I know we couldn't get all of them, we could still thin them out to the point where our phasers have a much better chance of wrecking them. Thoughts?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Shoeless posted:

Alright. I'm tempted to have my fighters use their fusions against enemy fighters, though at these ranges it would take double charges.... The logic being, we don't have to worry about plasma torps from the fighters if the fighters are dead. While I know we couldn't get all of them, we could still thin them out to the point where our phasers have a much better chance of wrecking them. Thoughts?

Let me crunch some numbers in the morning - We can shoot them up with fusions (remember, we only need to do 6 damage, not 8 to mission kill them!), but with 23 fighters still in play, that's a lot of plasma. We may need to turn off and run them out (and whittle them down with the gatlings and side phasers) and come back in two turns to try again - after dealing with the armed plasma from the ships on turn 3.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Dammit - thinking about this too much.

GNOMAN: Vital question here: Are the ships on the line we are on Warbirds, or WB+ (YIS Y158)? And if we fire on them, will they be treated as normal ships for the purposes of damage (AKA, using the DAC, etc?)

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

berryjon posted:

Let me crunch some numbers in the morning - We can shoot them up with fusions (remember, we only need to do 6 damage, not 8 to mission kill them!), but with 23 fighters still in play, that's a lot of plasma. We may need to turn off and run them out (and whittle them down with the gatlings and side phasers) and come back in two turns to try again - after dealing with the armed plasma from the ships on turn 3.

Jesus, they had 12 each? Crud, they almost have numerical parity, though they're torpedo bombers rather than fighters at least. Yeah, with that in mind I think it's prudent to have our fighters attempt to cripple as many of them as possible while our ships fire upon the freighter at the end of the turn, assuming we don't have to turn away from incoming torpedoes.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

berryjon posted:

The response:

My version of D17.26 merely explains that the amount of ECM affects the tactical intelligence level. Further, D17.51 states "The only information a player always knows is the hex each target unit is in [except for units under G13.61 (the hidden cloaking rules)], facing, turn mode, and sideslip status (I will provide this on request), the total number of damage points it has recieved, and the unit's speed.

Just found D17.194, which states explicitly that you get EW information. My apologies - each fighter is using their built-in points, and is receiving 2 points of ECM from their carrier.

As for the warbirds, they are neither - they are YWB Veiled Warbirds. I'll record the shots for later use, but to make things simpler for me I'm just going to require a set number of damage points to kill all inactive ships (in the event they get damaged and then made active, I'll run the shots through the DAC.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

What is the arming status of the Fusions and Hellbores on Shoeless' ships? I know he mentioned he forgot to arm the Hellbores last turn, but verification is good.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

quote:

Given that we have 24 Stingers in play (2 Anarchist, 3 Dragoon, 0 Knight, 6 Lord Marshal, 4 Lancer, 9 Ranger), here is the plan:

2:17; The Ranger, Dragoon, Lord Marshal, and the Lancer will use 2 points of Battery to lend 2 ECCM to their respective fighters. The two from the Anarchist will not get this as it is out of reserve power.

On the five remaining Gladiators at Range 9, do the following:
Stingers 1 and 2 from the Lancer will fire both Fusions at the lowest number Gladiator (4 Fusion shots).
Stingers 1 and 2 from the Lord Marshal will fire both Fusions at the second lowest number Gladiator (4 shots).
Stingers 1 and 2 from the Dragoon will fire at the third lowest (4 shots)
Stingers 1 and 2 from the Ranger will fire at the fourth lowest (4 shots)
Stingers 3 and 4 from the Ranger will fire on the last R9 Gladiator (4 shots).
//Firing at R9, and not R10 due to the Small Target Modifier kicking in at that range.

2:18; The STACK will move forward 1 hex.
There should now be 6 Stingers at range 9, and survivors of the previous volley at range 8.

The Lancer will land the two empty fighters under their own power. The Lord Marshal will land 2 empty Fighters under their own power. The Dragoon will land 1 fighter under its own power. The Ranger will land 3 fighters under their own power.
//SHOELESS: Hydrans have something called 'Launch Tubes', which allows them to rapidly deploy fighter. However, they have to land at the normal rate. If you're confused, watch an episode of the new Battlestar Galactica where the Vipers launch.

Landed fighters will begin to reload using 2 DECK CREWS ON EACH. I want them loaded /fast/.
//SHOELESS: I'll explain why this is an important distinction to make later. Remind me if I seem to forget.

If there are surviving fighters at range 8, then the Lancer will fire one Overloaded Fusion beam into each surviving fighter. No doubling up on weapons. Yes, I know there will be an EW shift. If there are more surviving fighters than the Lancer has weapons, then the Ranger will fire fusions if they are armed, then the Lord Marshal will fire if those weapons are armed, and there are still fighters that need to be targeted.

On the Stingers at Range 9, do the following:
Stingers 3 and 4 from the Lancer will fire both Fusions at the lowest number Gladiator (4 shots).
Stingers 3 and 4 from the Lord Marshal will fire both Fusions at the second lowest (4 shots).
Stinger 5 from the Ranger, and 3 from the Dragoon will fire at the third (4 shots)
Stingers 6 and 7 from the Ranger will fire on the fourth. (4 shots).
Stingers 5 and 6 from the Lord Marshal will fire on the fifth.
Stingers 8 and 9 from the Ranger will fire on the sixth.
At this point, the only unfired fighter fusions should be on the Anarchist fighters.

BREAK CONDITIONs:
After weapons fire on 2:18. (I want both sides to have a chance to see the damage done and make revisions to their plans as necessary.)
Launching of a Plasma Torpedo.
Any Romulan ship begins to decloak, or is otherwise detected.

Shoeless, do you see any immediate problems with this plan of action for the next two impulses? Gnoman, is there any confusion about what I want to do?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

berryjon posted:

Gnoman, is there any confusion about what I want to do?

Just as a rules clarification (orders are perfectly comprehensible), are you able to use two deck crews per fighter because they have two fusion beams, or is there a rule that I'm not noticing that allows you to put multiple crews on the same task (as I originally posted, and retracted because I thought I was misreading things)? (The ruleset is big, and there's a lot to keep track of. Having somebody in the match that knows them as well is a big help.)

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Carriers typically have 1 Deck Crew per fighter - with more that can be purchased through Commander's Options. However, up to 2 Deck Crews can work on a single-space fighter at a time (J4.8712). And given that we have to reload as many Fusion beams as possible, I have made the decision to double-speed reload half our fighters at the expense of not arming any of the others until the first half is done. J8.433 notes that each 'charge' is a half-action, which means that 1 Deck Crew could load 1 Charge every 16 impulses, or 64 for all 4 charges. Using two deck crews, that becomes 32 impulses (Deck Crews work parallel, not serial, so it's still 16 impulses per charge, just doing two at a time and not 8 impulses per charge, one at a time.

Does that make things clear?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

berryjon posted:

Shoeless, do you see any immediate problems with this plan of action for the next two impulses? Gnoman, is there any confusion about what I want to do?

Looks good to me. It's quite refreshing to have someone who is taking the lion's share of the burden of figuring out contingencies and who knows the game well.

One thing that is confusing is that Gnoman said that the Stingers have 8 charges each, so I'm not sure why you want to land and recharge after only expending 4 changes on some of the fighters.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Shoeless posted:

One thing that is confusing is that Gnoman said that the Stingers have 8 charges each, so I'm not sure why you want to land and recharge after only expending 4 changes on some of the fighters.

The Ready Rack for the Stingers on our ships holds 8 charges worth of Fusion Beams. The Stingers themselves hold 4 charges (2 charges for each of two Fusion Beams). We reload the fighters from the charges in the Ready Rack, and can power charges into the Ready Racks during Energy Allocation.

Shoeless posted:

Looks good to me. It's quite refreshing to have someone who is taking the lion's share of the burden of figuring out contingencies and who knows the game well.

And I want you to ask questions of me when you need to. I know a lot of stuff, but you may not. So explaining it to you will help both of us out!

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Oh, right.Got that mixed up. Also, the Dragoon has, since it had excess power, begun charging some suicide shuttles this turn.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

berryjon posted:

Carriers typically have 1 Deck Crew per fighter - with more that can be purchased through Commander's Options. However, up to 2 Deck Crews can work on a single-space fighter at a time (J4.8712). And given that we have to reload as many Fusion beams as possible, I have made the decision to double-speed reload half our fighters at the expense of not arming any of the others until the first half is done. J8.433 notes that each 'charge' is a half-action, which means that 1 Deck Crew could load 1 Charge every 16 impulses, or 64 for all 4 charges. Using two deck crews, that becomes 32 impulses (Deck Crews work parallel, not serial, so it's still 16 impulses per charge, just doing two at a time and not 8 impulses per charge, one at a time.

Does that make things clear?

It does.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Berryjon, You have 4 fighters more than you thought - you have two of each destroyer (The Lancers are named Thought and Memory and the Knights are Inflexible and Indomitable), so as of now you have 28 fighters in play. It wasn't until just now that I realized you thought you only had one of each DD.

Impulse 17

Plasma Torpedo launch from Romulan Gladiator 1, strength 20

Hydran Weapons Fire

Fusion beam fire from Thought fighter 1 - 2 shots at RIS 0002 fighter 1
Fusion beam fire from Thought fighter 2 - 2 shots at RIS 0002 fighter 1
RIS 0002 fighter 1 DESTROYED

Fusion beam fire from Lord Marshal fighter 1 - 2 shots at RIS 0001 fighter 2
Fusion beam fire from Lord Marshal fighter 2 - 2 shots at RIS 0001 fighter 2
RIS 0001 fighter 2 DESTROYED

Fusion beam fire from Dragoon fighter 1 - 2 shots at RIS 0002 fighter 2
Fusion beam fire from Dragoon fighter 2 - 2 shots at RIS 0002 fighter 2
RIS 0002 fighter 2 DESTROYED

****ALL CURRENTLY EMPTY (weapon fired) FIGHTERS DESTROYED****
Fusion beam fire from Ranger fighter 1 - Two shots at RIS 0001 Fighter 3
Fusion beam fire from Ranger fighter 2 - Two shots at RIS 0001 Fighter 3
RIS 0001 Fighter 3 DESTROYED

Fusion beam fire from Ranger fighter 3 - Two shots at RIS 0002 Fighter 3
Fusion beam fire from Ranger fighter 4 - Two shots at RIS 0002 Fighter 3
RIS 0002 Fighter 3 DAMAGED
Rolls 5,3,6,4 for a total of 4 damage, need 6 to cripple

(Going to exercise GM privellige and veto your "plasma torpedo" turn break because it is only one more impulse until your "after shooting" break", and I don't want to stop it too often. Sorry about that, hope you understand.)

Impulse 18

2 Fighters land on Thought
2 Fighters land on Lord Marshall
1 Fighter lands on Dragoon
3 Fighters land on Ranger

Rearming of landed fighters begins
Plasma Torpedo launch from Romulan Gladiator 1, strength 2

Fusion beam fire from Thought fighter 3 - 2 shots at RIS 0001 fighter 4
Fusion beam fire from Thought fighter 4 - 2 shots at RIS 0001 fighter 4
RIS 0001 fighter 4 DAMAGED
(Rolls 6,6,4,6 for 1 damage, 6 needed to cripple)

Fusion beam fire from Lord Marshal fighter 3 - 2 shots at RIS 0002 fighter 4
Fusion beam fire from Lord Marshal 4 - 2 shots at RIS 0002 fighter 4
RIS 0002 fighter 4 DESTROYED

Fusion Beam Fire from Ranger fighter 5 - 2 Shots at RIS 0001 Fighter 5
Fusion Beam Fire from Dragoon fighter 3 - 2 Shots at RIS 0001 Fighter 5
RIS 0001 Fighter 5 DESTROYED

Fusion Beam Fire from Ranger fighter 6 - 2 Shots at RIS 0002 Fighter 5
Fusion Beam Fire from Ranger fighter 7 - 2 Shots at RIS 0002 Fighter 5
RIS 0002 Fighter 5 CRIPPLED
(Rolls 1,4,4,5 for 7 damage - 6 needed to cripple)

Fusion beam fire from Lord Marshal fighter 5 - 2 shots at RIS 0001 Fighter 6
Fusion beam fire from Lord Marshal fighter 6 - 2 shots at RIS 0001 Fighter 6
RIS 0001 Fighter 6 DESTROYED

Fusion beam fire from Ranger fighter 8 - 2 shots at RIS 0002 Fighter 6
Fusion beam fire from Ranger fighter 9 - 2 shots at RIS 0002 Fighter 6
RIS 0002 Fighter 6 Crippled
(Rolls 6,6,1,3 for 6 damage)

Overloaded fusion fire from Thought - 1 shot at RIS 0002 Fighter 3
(unless I missed something, Thought has no ECCM of it's own, so the total ECM is 4
Roll (with 2 malus) 8 - miss.

-TURN BREAK-

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Four Destroyers?

Pardon me, I need to go hit my head on the nearest ESG.

Anyways, that helps a little; but I won't be able to think things through until after work.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

berryjon posted:

Four Destroyers?

Pardon me, I need to go hit my head on the nearest ESG.

Anyways, that helps a little; but I won't be able to think things through until after work.

Sorry I didn't remind you sooner, it wasn't until you were posting an incorrect fighter count that I realized the rpoblem.

quote:

Lancer Class Destroyer
Ships in scenario
HMS Thought, HMS Memory

Knight Class Destroyer
Ships in scenario
HMS Indomitable, HMS Inflexible
Was that a bad way to show it?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Gnoman posted:

7 fighters destroyed, 2 crippled, 2 damaged

Holy crap. I didn't think fusions out at 3+ hexes would be anywhere near that dangerous! Did we just roll really well or is that par for the course performance, because :drat:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Shoeless posted:

Holy crap. I didn't think fusions out at 3+ hexes would be anywhere near that dangerous! Did we just roll really well or is that par for the course performance, because :drat:

Compare it to 4 disruptors (12 potential damage) or 4 photon torpedos (16 or 32) at each target, and it looks a lot less impressive (4 fusions will do between 0 and 16 damage at this range, but the variable damage per shot as opposed to being hit-or-miss really hurts). You did roll quite a few 1s, which helped, but the big thing was the sheer number of beams being fired.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Shoeless posted:

A massed strike at range 10 from fusion Beams is extremely dangerous. Yes, the Fusion Beam is the (second/third) worst Heavy Weapon in the game, but quantity has a quality of its own.

I'm still thinking, but at this point, I think we should empty our remaining heavy weapons and turn off. There will still be another dozen of so Plasma-F's coming our way, and who knows what the cloaked Romulan to our right is capable of. We start opening up the range now, the less we have to worry about with the Plasma.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Can we get another picture of the battlefield as it stands of this impulse, Gnoman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Shoeless posted:

Can we get another picture of the battlefield as it stands of this impulse, Gnoman?

Yes, please.

• Locked thread