Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Shite! I forgot one more thing:

A Plasma Torp on a ship is unique in that it can fire after the launching tube has been destroyed. It can fire as it is currently loaded (no using reserve power to change it) for up to 8 impulses after the system has been destroyed.

I'll add that to the Advantages above.

Shoeless, do you want me to do Hellbores or Fusions next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
I want you to do both, but in the interests of not driving you insane, let's go with Hellbores!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Shoeless posted:

I want you to do both, but in the interests of not driving you insane, let's go with Hellbores!

Your wish is my command!

Know Your Guns!
A Beginners guide to Star Fleet Battles weapons.

Part 3: Hellbore

Introduction
Hellbores (HB) are a middle-years weapon invented and deployed by the Hydran Kingdoms to work with their Fusion Beam equipped ships in fleet scale actions. It is only deployed on Hydran ships, or very rare and very well-equipped Orion Pirates.

Hellbores are also regarded as one of the best Heavy Weapons in the game, due to the way their damage is applied to ships. So much so that the Klingons and the Lyrans (the traditional enemies of the Hydrans) both have a refit and a system respectively to deal with the threat of the Hellbore.

The System
The Hellbore is a single-space Heavy Weapon with a 120' firing arc, usually FA on most ships, while some older classes have them in the LF+L/RF+R arcs.

To arm the Hellbore, three points of power must be spent on each of two consecutive turns. The Hellbore may then be fired at any point on the second turn of arming.

When fired, the HB rolls against the target number on a 2d6, rather than the typical 1d6. In fact, it is the only weapon in the Alpha Octant that uses this particular probability set-up. (There are other weapons outside Alpha that do so as well, such as the Iridani Focused Energy Beam, but that is extremely outside the realm of this guide.)

Hellbores also fire outside the normal weapon firing spot in the turn order. In (impulse):6D4, where weapons fire is allocated, HBs are given *two* chances to fire, before and after other weapons. Here, let me show you:
code:
Weapons Fire:
  1st Hellbore Firing Option
  Default Direct Fire Weapons
  2nd Hellbore Firing Option
What does this mean? Well, because of the way the Hellbore deals damage, having them fire before - or more importantly - after other weapons makes them better suited to their job. And the way damage is resolved means that each firing point - 1st/default/2nd - resolves its damage before the next advances (although weapons allocated to fire that impulse still do, this is an important distinction for the way damage is dealt to ships).

Hellbores deal their damage in two parts. First, all HB damage during a firing step is added together, then all general reinforcement is deducted from that total. Second, it is split into two halves. If there is an odd number left over, it goes into the first half, not the second.

The first half of this damage is applied to the weakest shield on the targeted unit. Even if that shield isn't facing the direction the ship is firing from! If there are multiple 'weakest' shields of the exact same strength, then this damage is divided as evenly as possible between them, with the defending player choosing where the damage goes. Now, if a shield has been given Specific Shield Reinforcement, then that counts towards the strength of the shield to determine which is weakest.

Example!

A Klingon D7 is having a bad day. They've just taken 44 points of Hellbore Damage, and they have two almost-down shields! One of them has 1 box left, while the other has 5! Normally, half the total damage (22) would go onto the 1 point shield, downing at and dealing 21 points of internals. However, the Klingon had allocated 5 points of reinforcement to that shield, which means its effective strength is 6. This means that all 22 points of damage goes onto the shield with 5 boxes on it, dealing 17 internals.

But if the Klingon uses a point of battery power to add to the 5-point shield, then that means there are two 'weakest' shields of equal strength, 6 and 6. The 22 damage is divided evenly between them - 11 each, and both shields drop and the ship takes a total of 10 damage.

The rest of the damage is distributed evenly across all other shields, and the defender gets to choose where the odd damage point(s) go.

ASIDE: I'm about to brag here, but I want to demonstrate something interesting about the Hellbore that I submitted as a Term Paper - basically a tactical note for SFB that can and did get published formally.

Most mid to late war ships have what are called "Pentagon Shields". That is, they have five shields of equal strength, and one more that is larger. I used the Klingon D5 as my example, which has a 30 point #1 (forward) shield, while the other 5 are all 24 points each.

I pointed out that against such ships, the first volley should use the Hellbores in the first firing option, instead of the second (and therefore after phasers and fusions) especially at mid to long range. Why? Well, look at how the damage is applied again, and against this target. 44 damage again. 22 and 22 spilt. Now, there are five equal 'weakest shields', so the 22 damage gets applied to those five - 4 points on each with two more at the discretion of the Klingon player.

So, what happens to the other 22? Well, that damage gets applied to the other shields. But there's only one shield left to take damage - the strong #1. Which just went from 30 to 8, while the other shields are 19/20 each. ASIDE END.

And what happens if all shields are equal (Square Shields)? Then the total damage is divided equally among all shields, with the defender choosing where the odd points go. If a unit has no shields, then the full damage is applied to the unit with no reduction.

Hellbores also utilize Rolling Delay as they cannot be held. Because it costs 3 points of power on two turns to arm, if you don't fire the weapon on the second turn, you can apply 3 points of power on the third turn - this 'rolls' the HB forward a turn of arming. The first turn is now ignored, the second turn becomes the first, and the new third turn becomes the second turn of arming.

Alternate Fire Modes

There are only two Alternate Fire modes for the Hellbore. It doesn't need more.
  • Overload: On the second turn of arming (or at the time of firing through battery power), apply an additional 3 points of energy (6 total). In this case, the HB deals an extra 50% damage, but cannot fire out past range 8. There is no change to the chance to hit.
  • Direct Fire: Usable at any range, and with no preparation required, firing in this mode turns the Hellbore into a more standard direct fire weapon. If it hits, it deals half the damage it could against the facing shield, with no 'enveloping' damage. You can fire an Overload in Direct Mode.

Advantages

Hellbores are amazing accurate - as in hit on a 2-7 on 2d6 out to range 15 -, deal enveloping damage, hit hard (although that damage is spread around), and is an amazing follow up attack after a fleet full of Fusions have obligingly knocked down a shield - on the same impulse, allowing for multiple Mizia strikes.

Look, Hellbores are plain awesome. So much so that they are one of the most restricted weapons in the game, especially in the tournament format.

Disadvantages

I would love to say none, but that would be a lie.

You see, there is a certain interaction in the game - perhaps one of the most complex that involves the Hellbore.

The Lyran ESG.

Let me sum it up for you: If an ESG is up, and a Hellbore is fired such that the path of the Hellbore from the firing unit to the target (including, say, an empty hex) would cross a hex in which an ESG occupies, then the Hellbore auto-hits the ESG at that range. The strength of the ESG is deducted from the strength of the Hellbore and vice-versa, and if there is still ESG strength remaining, then it stays up. But if there is still Hellbore damage remaining, then the remaining strength automatically hits the unit that had the ESG up in the first place. If there are multiple nestled ESGs, then they are all damaged by Hellbore fire, outer layer inward.

To whit: The Expanding Sphere Generator acts as an additional layer of shields against Hellbores. However, Hellbores auto-hit an ESG, no matter the range or the nominal to-hit change, and deal damage at the range from the firing unit to the ESG itself - not the initial target, or the unit generating the ESG. You can hit allied ESGs, and if on a Orion or WYN ship with an astoundingly poor choice of weapon options, hit your own ESG, damaging your own ship.

Oh, and they're a 'Heavy Weapon', so their accuracy against drones is pretty bad. They also take 25% damage reduction when firing through an atmosphere, and ground bases with only one shield take half of that damage as the rest is wasted against the planet.

Summary

Due to the enveloping nature of the HB, it is one of the best weapons in the game, and should not be dismissed at any level of combat, from duels to squadron to fleet action. Against ESGs, the exact rules interaction can be a little dense (I know I've had to ask questions about that myself), and there are very few points where "Should I fire the Hellbore?" is a complicated choice.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

berryjon posted:

To whit: The Expanding Sphere Generator acts as an additional layer of shields against Hellbores. However, Hellbores auto-hit an ESG, no matter the range or the nominal to-hit change, and deal damage at the range from the firing unit to the ESG itself - not the initial target, or the unit generating the ESG. You can hit allied ESGs, and if on a Orion or WYN ship with an astoundingly poor choice of weapon options, hit your own ESG, damaging your own ship.

Oh Orions~ :allears:

So it sounds like Hellbores actually are a pretty good way to deal with ESGs then. Giving you an autohit against them and damaging the generating ship if you do enough damage to bring down the field.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Sure, but the Lyrans get to control which ship takes the Hellbore damage, not you. It goes both ways, but I do agree - the Hydrans get the better end of that interaction.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

berryjon posted:

Sure, but the Lyrans get to control which ship takes the Hellbore damage, not you. It goes both ways, but I do agree - the Hydrans get the better end of that interaction.

I'm confused. You said that if your Hellbore goes through an ESG it autohits the ESG, and if it drops it and there's Hellbore damage left, it hits the ESG-creating ship rather than whatever its initial target was. How do they get to choose?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Shoeless posted:

I'm confused. You said that if your Hellbore goes through an ESG it autohits the ESG, and if it drops it and there's Hellbore damage left, it hits the ESG-creating ship rather than whatever its initial target was. How do they get to choose?

Simple - the decide who gets hit by deciding which ships are running ESGs at any given time. A couple of frigates running ESGs make a Lyran dreadnought immune to Hellbore fire.

Running the turn now.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Impulse 9
Lord Marshal, Thought, Inflexible report a War Eagle at range 10, RR
Anarchist reports a War Eagle at range 10, RR

Impulse 10
Lord Marshal, Thought, Inflexible report a War Eagle at range 11, RR
Anarchist reports a War Eagle at range 11, RR

Impulse 11
Lord Marshal, Thought, Inflexible report a War Eagle at range 12, RR
Anarchist reports a War Eagle at range 12, RR

Impulse 12
Lord Marshal, Thought, Inflexible report a War Eagle at range 13, RR
Anarchist reports a War Eagle at range 13, RR

Impulse 13
Lord Marshal, Thought, Inflexible report a War Eagle at range 13, RR
Anarchist reports a War Eagle at range 13, RR

Contact lost with War Eagle 1
Lock on lost!
Contact Lost with War Eagle 2
Lord Marshal retains lock on!
Thought Retains Lock on!
Inflexible retains lock on!

Impulse 14
Lord Marshal, Thought, Inflexible report a War Eagle at range 14, RR
Anarchist reports a War Eagle at range 14, RR

Lord Marshal, Thought, Inflexible report a War Eagle at range 10, RR

Impulse 15
Lord Marshal, Thought, Inflexible report a War Eagle at range 15, RR
Anarchist reports a War Eagle at range 15, RR

Lord Marshal, Thought, Inflexible report a War Eagle at range 11, RR
Tracking becoming more difficult!
Lord Marshal loses lock on!
Thought loses lock on!
Inflexible loses lock on!

Impulse 16
Lord Marshal, Thought, Inflexible report a War Eagle at range 16, RR
Tracking becoming more difficult!
Lord Marshal loses lock on!
Thought retains lock on!
Inflexible loses lock on!
Anarchist reports a War Eagle at range 16, RR
Anarchist loses lock on!

PLASMA TORPEDO 7 IN PROXIMITY RANGE! STRENGTH REMAINING 50!
45 points of energy above strength 5 - 27 Gatling pulses allocated
Tranquility fires 8 Gatling pulses - 31 Damage (Rolls: 6 2 2 1 2 5 1 3)
Indomitable fires 8 Gatling Pulses - 32 Damage (Rolls: 5 4 1 2 5 4 4 1)
Inflexible fires 8 Gatling pulses - 30 Damage (Rolls: 2 2 4 6 4 1 4 6)
Thought fires 3 Gatling Pulses - 12 Damage (Rolls: 5 3 3)
Plasma Torpedo takes 105 Damage, reducing strength to -2. Plasma Torpedo destroyed!
PLASMA TORPEDO 8 IN PROXIMITY RANGE! STRENGTH REMAINING 50!
45 points of energy above strength 5 - 27 Gatling pulses allocated
Thought fires 5 Gatling pulses - 20 Damage (Rolls: 6 3 1 6 6)
Memory fires 8 Gatling pulses - 31 Damage (Rolls: 6 3 1 3 2 2 2 1)
Lord Marshal fires 8 Gatling pulses - 29 Damage (Rolls: 5 3 6 6 2 4 3 6)
Chivalry fires 6 Gatling pulses - 22 Damage (Rolls: 4 5 3 6 4 6)
Plasma Torpedo takes 102 Damage, reducing strength to -1. Plasma Torpedo destroyed!
Gatling shots remaining:
Chivalry:2
Anarchist:8

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Gnoman posted:

Gatling shots remaining:
Chivalry:2
Anarchist:8

That's bad. That was also my bad. I should have accounted for the fact that the Plasma would drop to strength 35 on the next impulse, and done my math better. I wanted them to hit for low damage to determine which are fake, and which are not. Sorry, Shoeless. At least we just-barely over-killed them, and still have 10 shots left, plus heavier phasers. We can re-energize them next turn.

And Gnoman: What were the results of the Lab attempts at R2/R1? Seeing where those Plasmas were targeted could help. I really want to know on whom those plasmas at R2 are firing.

Once I have that information, I can plot out movement.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

berryjon posted:

And Gnoman: What were the results of the Lab attempts at R2/R1? Seeing where those Plasmas were targeted could help. I really want to know on whom those plasmas at R2 are firing.

Sorry, I forgot to do that. All 4 torpedos are targeted on Chivalry, the Ranger-class cruiser.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Gnoman posted:

Sorry, I forgot to do that. All 4 torpedos are targeted on Chivalry, the Ranger-class cruiser.

Yeah, looks like they're going for our carrier rather than the weaker ships.

Gnoman posted:

Simple - the decide who gets hit by deciding which ships are running ESGs at any given time. A couple of frigates running ESGs make a Lyran dreadnought immune to Hellbore fire.

Ohhhh, I thought you meant like, if you fire a Hellbore at something with the intention of hitting the ESG that they could somehow decide to not be hit. Yeah, of course they can do stuff like that... but then your Stingers and other weapons can still attack the dreadnought which doesn't have an ESG up, right?

berryjon posted:

That's bad. That was also my bad. I should have accounted for the fact that the Plasma would drop to strength 35 on the next impulse, and done my math better. I wanted them to hit for low damage to determine which are fake, and which are not. Sorry, Shoeless. At least we just-barely over-killed them, and still have 10 shots left, plus heavier phasers. We can re-energize them next turn.

It's alright, don't worry about it. I should have been picking up the slack a bit more instead of being so passive and dumping things on your shoulders. With that in mind, is there anything you'd like me to do now or next turn to take any of the pressure off? Anything I can do in my time to help in our turn?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Thinking then.... Time to break out the map and the rulers!

Not seen: over 90 minutes of plotting and planning.

Here we go:

The Ranger is the Target. Once again Shoeless, but I screwed up and over allocated weapons to deal with the Plasma. That is solely my fault, and I am hoping to mitigate the damage I have done to us with my error.

For this plot, the Torpedoes that start in 0913 are Plasma-Rs that were launched on 3:07. Because of over-kill, I have to assume both are real, and my maneuver this turn is designed to deal with these two more than others.
In 1114, Plasma-Rs that launched on 3:01.
In 1214, Plasma-Fs launched on 2:23ish. They've been in play for so long they won't hit anything.They can and will be ignored.
In 1315, Plasma-Rs launched on 3:01.

3:17: The Hydrans have no movement. The Plasma all advance one hex into 0812.
The Chivalry will fire 1 pulse into each plasma.
3:18: The Chivalry will move forward into 0611F. The rest of the Hydran Fleet will sideslip into 0612F. The Plasma will 0712.
3:19: The Chivalry will move forward into 0511F. The rest of the Hydran Fleet will turn into 0611A. The Plasma will enter 0611.
Now at Range 0, and the Plasma being in the "R" arc of the fleet due to order of movement, the following weapons will fire:
Plasma #9 will be fired upon by 1 Phaser-2(360) from the Knight Indominable, one Ph-2(360) from the Lancer Memory, 2 P-G shots (R+RR) from the Anarchist, 2 Ph-2s(FX) and 1 Ph2(R+RR) from the Anarchist, 2 Ph-2(FA+R)s from the Tranquillity.
Plasma #10 will receive the following fire: 1 Ph2(260) from the Inflexible, one P2(360) from the Thought, 2 Ph-2(FX) and 2 PG shots (R+RR) from the Anarchist, and 2 Ph2 (FA+R) from the Lord Marshal.
3:20: The Ranger turns to 0510A. The rest of the Fleet advances to 0610A.
IF the Plasma moves to 0511F, then the following weapons fire will take place:
Plasma #09 will be fired upon by 2 Ph-2 (FA+L) from the Lord Marshal and 2 PG (L+LR) from the Anarchist.
Plasma #10 will be fired upon by 2 Ph-2 (FA+L) from the Tranquility and 1 Ph-2 (LR+L) and 2 PG shots (L+LR) from the Anarchist.
IF the plasma moves to 0610A, then the following weapons fire takes place:
Plasma #09 will be fired upon by 1 Ph-2 (FA+R) shot from the Chivalry, and 2 PG (L+LR) from the Anarchist.
Plasma #10 will receive 1 Ph-2 (FA+R) shot from the Chivalry, and 1 Ph-2 (L+LR) and 2 PG (L+LR) from the Anarchist.

WE ARE OUT OF GUNS, unless we deploy fighters to act as a rear-guard. I don't like this option, as we'll leave them behind and they won't be armed with Fusions.

3:21: Plasma moves and impacts. I hope I haven't screwed us over any more and use all Batteries to mitigate the damage that comes in.

3:22: The Fleet rejoins when the Ranger sideslips into 0609A, and the Fleet moves forward into 0609A. The next plasma is in 0610 or 0710. Either way, we need to run away to deal with these guys, and we don't have much more to use. Here is where my previous frak up is really going to screw us over.

3:23: The Fleet advances to 0608. The trailing plasma has now moved 22 impulses and is in either 0609 or 0709. The further back Plasma-Rs are most likely in 0810.

3:24: The Fleet moves to 0607, while the nearer plasma is 1 hex behind. I cannot foresee any manoeuvres which will see us prevent the PLasma from impacting on the damaged shield next impulse.

3:25: The Fleet does not move, and the Plasma does. I hope and pray that all my efforts result in minimal damage to our ship. And I thank the Hydran Gods for the 27 point C enter Hull protecting our Shuttle Bay and Batteries.

3:26: The Fleet moves forward to 0606, while the Plasma is now on its 25th move and reduced to 5 points of damage.

3.27: The Fleet moves to 0605A

3.28: The Fleet turns to 0705B.

3:29: The Plasma could impact, but will do so on our #2 shield. I'm allright with this. It it kept to following in our footsteps exactly, then we will out run it completely, and I will stop marking its path for the rest of the turn.

3:30: The Fleet Sideslips to 0805F.

3:31: The Fleet moves forward to 0905F.

3:32: The Fleet sideslips to 1005F.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Shoeless posted:

It's alright, don't worry about it. I should have been picking up the slack a bit more instead of being so passive and dumping things on your shoulders. With that in mind, is there anything you'd like me to do now or next turn to take any of the pressure off? Anything I can do in my time to help in our turn?

For the rest of the turn? No. What I would like you to do is to start thinking about Turn 4. We are going to slow down massively due to needing to arm our Hellbores, as well as reload our phasers. Grab those EAFs I posted up thread and start filling them out for the non-Rangers for your ships. Assume all your phasers are empty, and start doing the following:
All power generation will be the same - no damage to them. Pay for House Keeping (Fire Control, Life Support, Shields), pay to arm just the Hellbores (3 points of power each), pay to reload all the phasers, then see how much power is left over for movement.

For the Ranger, we'll have to see the damage before we can see what needs to be done. At the very least, I can start walking you through Damage Control for ship's systems.

Then post them here so I can give feedback on what you've done and if there are any formatting issues.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
WAIT

I just remembered, I had each of my ships ready a wild Weasel from turn 1! The Ranger (Chivalry) should have it, if that would impact your plans.

code:
Game: Something Aweful Campaign
  Player: Shoeless
  Ship:   Lord Marshal

=================================================================
  ENERGY ALLOCATION FORM                 |  1 |  2 |  3 |  4 |  5 |
  ---------------------------------------|----|----|----|----|----|
  1.  WARP ENGINE POWER                  |    |    | 30 | 30 |    |
  2.  IMPULSE ENGINE POWER               |    |    |  4 |  4 |    |
  3.  REACTOR POWER                      |    |    |  6 |  6 |    |
  4.  TOTAL POWER AVAILABLE              |    |    | 40 | 40 |    |
  =======================================|====|====|====|====|====|
  5.  BATTERY POWER AVAILABLE            |    |    | ?? | ?? |    |
  6.  BATTERY CAPACITY DISCHARGED        |    |    | ?? | ?? |    |
  7.  LIFE SUPPORT                       |    |    |  1 |  1 |    |
  8.  ACTIVE FIRE CONTROL                |    |    |  1 |  1 |    |
  9.  CHARGE PHASER CAPACITORS        (6)|    |    |  3 |  6 |    |
  10. HEAVY WEAPONS  | Hellbore (A)      |    |    |    |  3 |    |
  -------------------|-------------------|----|----|----|----|----|
                     | Hellbore (B)      |    |    |    |  3 |    |
                     | Fusion (A)        |    |    |    |    |    |
                     | Fusion (B)        |    |    |    |    |    |
                     | Fusion (C)        |    |    |    |    |    |
                     | Fusion (D)        |    |    |    |    |    |
  11. ACTIVATE SHIELDS                   |    |    |  2 |  2 |    |
  12. GENERAL REINFORCEMENT              |    |    |    |    |    |
  -----------------------|---------------|----|----|----|----|----|
  13. SPECIFIC         1 |               |    |    |    |    |    |
      REINFORCEMENT    2 |               |    |    |    |    |    |
                       3 |               |    |    |    |    |    |
                       4 |               |    |    |  4 |    |    |
                       5 |               |    |    |    |    |    |
                       6 |               |    |    |    |    |    |
  14. ENERGY FOR MOVEMENT                |    |    | 27 |    |    |
      HET                                |    |    |    |    |    |
  15. DAMAGE CONTROL                     |    |    |    |    |    |
  16. RECHARGE BATTERIES/RESERVE WARP    |    |    |  2 |    |    |
  17. TRACTOR/NEGATIVE TRACTOR           |    |    |    |    |    |
  18. TRANSPORTERS                       |    |    |    |    |    |
  19. LABS                               |    |    |    |    |    |
      PROBE                              |    |    |    |    |    |
      CHARGE WILD WEASEL/SUICIDE SHUTTLE |    |    |    |    |    |
      ELECTRONIC WARFARE (ECM/ECCM)      |    |    |    |    |    |
  20. TOTAL POWER USED                   |    |    | 40 | 16 |    |
  21. RESERVE POWER USED                 |    |    |  # |    |    |
  PHASER CAPACITORS CHARGED              |    |    |  6 |    |    |
  PHASER CAPACITORS USED                 |    |    |  # |    |    |
Ranger, 16/40 power used with just the basics + Hellbores + Phaser capacitor recharge.

code:
  Game: Something Aweful Campaign
  Player: Shoeless
  Ship:   Dragoon

=================================================================
  ENERGY ALLOCATION FORM                 |  1 |  2 |  3 |  4 |  5 |
  1.  WARP ENGINE POWER                  |    |    | 27 | 27 |    |
  2.  IMPULSE ENGINE POWER               |    |    |  4 |  4 |    |
  3.  REACTOR POWER                      |    |    |  9 |  9 |    |
  4.  TOTAL POWER AVAILABLE              |    |    | 40 | 40 |    |
  5.  BATTERY POWER AVAILABLE            |    |    |  2 |  2 |    |
  6.  BATTERY CAPACITY DISCHARGED        |    |    |  0 |  0 |    |
  7.  LIFE SUPPORT                       |    |    |  1 |  1 |    |
  8.  ACTIVE FIRE CONTROL                |    |    |  1 |  1 |    |
  9.  CHARGE PHASER CAPACITORS        (6)|    |    |  2 |  6 |    |
  10. HEAVY WEAPONS  | Hellbore (A)      |    |    |    |  3 |    |
                     | Hellbore (B)      |    |    |    |  3 |    |
                     | Hellbore (C)      |    |    |    |  3 |    |
                     | Hellbore (D)      |    |    |    |  3 |    |
  11. ACTIVATE SHIELDS                   |    |    |  2 |  2 |    |
  12. GENERAL REINFORCEMENT              |    |    |    |    |    |
  13. SPECIFIC         1 |               |    |    |    |    |    |
      REINFORCEMENT    2 |               |    |    |    |    |    |
                       3 |               |    |    |    |    |    |
                       4 |               |    |    |  5 |    |    |
                       5 |               |    |    |    |    |    |
                       6 |               |    |    |    |    |    |
  14. ENERGY FOR MOVEMENT                |    |    | 27 |    |    |
      HET                                |    |    |    |    |    |
  15. DAMAGE CONTROL                     |    |    |    |    |    |
  16. RECHARGE BATTERIES/RESERVE WARP    |    |    |  2 |    |    |
  17. TRACTOR/NEGATIVE TRACTOR           |    |    |    |    |    |
  18. TRANSPORTERS                       |    |    |    |    |    |
  19. LABS                               |    |    |    |    |    |
      PROBE                              |    |    |    |    |    |
      CHARGE WILD WEASEL/SUICIDE SHUTTLE |    |    |    |    |    |
      ELECTRONIC WARFARE (ECM/ECCM)      |    |    |    |    |    |
  20. TOTAL POWER USED                   |    |    | 40 | 22 |    |
  21. RESERVE POWER USED                 |    |    |  # |    |    |
  PHASER CAPACITORS CHARGED              |    |    |  6 |    |    |
  PHASER CAPACITORS USED                 |    |    |  # |    |    |
Dragoon, 22/40 power used with just the basics + Hellbores + Phaser capacitor recharge.

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 16, 2015

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Shoeless posted:

WAIT

I just remembered, I had each of my ships ready a wild Weasel from turn 1! The Ranger (Chivalry) should have it, if that would impact your plans.

Negatively. Popping a Weasel here would lock down the Ranger - and the rest of the fleet in position as it would be stuck with no movement for the rest of the turn, and speed 10 next turn. With about 8 fighters still on the board, plus other cloaked ships in the area, we would be looking at fighting a defense around a fixed position - which is exactly what we shouldn't be doing. In this game, Speed is life, and that has been true since the day the game was released. Weasels aren't a "This problem goes away" solution, it just delays the problem until later.

Also, in the EAF I placed above, I aborted holding the WW. I'm sorry. I didn't realize you had one in the shuttlebay.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

berryjon posted:

Negatively. Popping a Weasel here would lock down the Ranger - and the rest of the fleet in position as it would be stuck with no movement for the rest of the turn, and speed 10 next turn. With about 8 fighters still on the board, plus other cloaked ships in the area, we would be looking at fighting a defense around a fixed position - which is exactly what we shouldn't be doing. In this game, Speed is life, and that has been true since the day the game was released. Weasels aren't a "This problem goes away" solution, it just delays the problem until later.

Also, in the EAF I placed above, I aborted holding the WW. I'm sorry. I didn't realize you had one in the shuttlebay.

It's fine. I just remembered "Oh hey didn't I have a Wild Weasel prepped just in case?" and figured I should let you know, so that you could decide on the course of action with as full knowledge of the resources at our disposal as possible. And definitely don't apologize for your filling out the EAF. It's my own fault for being a combination of busy, anxious and lazy and not filling them out myself. All this happening shows is I need to be more active in this battle and communicate better with you, and that's no bad thing.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Shoeless posted:

It's fine. I just remembered "Oh hey didn't I have a Wild Weasel prepped just in case?" and figured I should let you know, so that you could decide on the course of action with as full knowledge of the resources at our disposal as possible. And definitely don't apologize for your filling out the EAF. It's my own fault for being a combination of busy, anxious and lazy and not filling them out myself. All this happening shows is I need to be more active in this battle and communicate better with you, and that's no bad thing.

Then get cracking on Turn 4! ;) You're not going to finish it, as we need to see what damage comes to the Ranger, but unless something goes catastrophically wrong, we'll have still come out ahead on this exchange - about a dozen dead or crippled fighters for light damage to a cruiser? I'll take that.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
I did, I edited the EAFs into my earlier post alerting you to the WW. I hadn't seen your quick reply and didn't want to double-post.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Shoeless posted:

I did, I edited the EAFs into my earlier post alerting you to the WW. I hadn't seen your quick reply and didn't want to double-post.

No problem. I've stared at this enough for today, so I'll give them a once-over later. But we're looking at speed 18 at the most as that's the Dragoon's top speed at the moment but still dependent on what happens to the Ranger.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
We could still launch the Stingers again and use their phasers, right? Maybe.... I dunno, launch them, once their phasers are ready have them add their power to the torps and then do a High Energy Turn to meet back with the main blob? You mentioned before that doing this means that they get left behind, but if we use them this turn and then slow down next turn to say, speed 10 or 12, would the Stingers be able to catch up then? We shouldn't have to worry about more plasma torps so soon so having a turn of going a bit slower wouldn't hurt if it meant reloading the Stingers would it? (I'm probably wrong given that you just said speed is life but I'm still suggesting this, if only to understand why it's a bad idea. Learning!)

Edit: What I mean by us moving slower, is that by spending less power on speed we might be able to, in addition to letting the fighters catch up, charge some of the Fusions or other stuff.

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 16, 2015

berryjon
May 30, 2011

It's too late for them to be used against the next two volleys. If they are launched now, starting on 3:17, then they will be able to fire their weapons on 3:25 - on the impulse the second volley out there hits. And as movement (and hence the Plasma impact) occurs before weapons fire becomes a thing, then they will only be available to fire on the last volley - which will be ner dead by the time it hits.

It's a good idea, but the timing is off, and I would rather save them on our ships so we can fully re-arm them and use them against more important targets later.

With my movement plot for the rest of the turn to give you your start point, could you please make a prospective movement plot for Turn 4 that will have us approach the "North" Dock point using 15-18 hexes of movement? Having an idea of where we end during the turn will give us a better idea if we should be prepared to launch Stingers and fire them off that turn, or to save them for turn 5 when our Hellbores come online.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Okay, that does make sense then, yeah. If we could get them out and ready to fire before the second R hit I would say it's worth it, but if it's just gonna be stuff that's almost expended better to keep them rearming.

I'll get started on that movement plot. When you say north dock, do you mean the hex with the actual dock in it, or the end of the line of ships docked there?

Edit Just to be sure we're ending the turn facing B, right?

Right, so here's what I've got. Number indicates the movement number, the little dot indicates which way the ship is facing. Impulses as follows:

Impulse 3: Forwards B
Impulse 5: Turn C
Impulse 7: Sideslip B
Impulse 9: Forwards C
Impulse 11: Sideslip B
Impulse 13, 15, 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30 and 32: Forwards C

This is with Speed 15. If we go faster we can add more hexes to our closing with the dock.

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 16, 2015

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Shoeless posted:

I'll get started on that movement plot. When you say north dock, do you mean the hex with the actual dock in it, or the end of the line of ships docked there?

Edit Just to be sure we're ending the turn facing B, right?

The dock itself, and yes.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Edited it into above post.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Shoeless posted:

Edited it into above post.

Cool! Now for the complication - with that movement plot, determine how those fighters from the Romulans could intercept us. Remember their movement speed of 8, and we would be moving at speed 15 - and their Plasma at 32.

Use that movement chart I should have linked earlier in the thread to give you an idea of how that would work, and when it the next turn it would happen.

Yes, I have something in mind with all this, but I need to walk you through the steps first.

I don't need an impulse-by-impulse play, just the point where you think an intercept is likely - what our positions will be, and when in the turn it would occur.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Can do! Getting sleepy now, I'll get to work on this tomorrow. And thanks for helping me learn, Berryjon! I really do appreciate it, you've been incredibly kind and patient.

Edit: Gnoman could you tell us which of the Romulan fighters have already fired so I know which ones are "spent" and which ones aren't?

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 17, 2015

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Shoeless posted:

Can do! Getting sleepy now, I'll get to work on this tomorrow. And thanks for helping me learn, Berryjon! I really do appreciate it, you've been incredibly kind and patient.

Edit: Gnoman could you tell us which of the Romulan fighters have already fired so I know which ones are "spent" and which ones aren't?

Assume every fighter you see is armed.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Oh god. Well that's a problem for future me once I've given him sleep. Suck it future me, hahaha!

Wait hold on one thing! Do you want me to be planning moves for how the might intercept us for next turn or this turn? Because if the former then we should probably wait to see what the fighters' final positions will be. If the latter, why are we concerned with the fighter's plasma for the upcoming turn, they can't fire at us two turns in a row can they? It still takes 3 turns for their fighters to arm the torps right?

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 17, 2015

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

berryjon posted:

Thinking then.... Time to break out the map and the rulers!

Not seen: over 90 minutes of plotting and planning.

Here we go:

The Ranger is the Target. Once again Shoeless, but I screwed up and over allocated weapons to deal with the Plasma. That is solely my fault, and I am hoping to mitigate the damage I have done to us with my error.

For this plot, the Torpedoes that start in 0913 are Plasma-Rs that were launched on 3:07. Because of over-kill, I have to assume both are real, and my maneuver this turn is designed to deal with these two more than others.
In 1114, Plasma-Rs that launched on 3:01.
In 1214, Plasma-Fs launched on 2:23ish. They've been in play for so long they won't hit anything.They can and will be ignored.
In 1315, Plasma-Rs launched on 3:01.

3:17: The Hydrans have no movement. The Plasma all advance one hex into 0812.
The Chivalry will fire 1 pulse into each plasma.
3:18: The Chivalry will move forward into 0611F. The rest of the Hydran Fleet will sideslip into 0612F. The Plasma will 0712.
3:19: The Chivalry will move forward into 0511F. The rest of the Hydran Fleet will turn into 0611A. The Plasma will enter 0611.
Now at Range 0, and the Plasma being in the "R" arc of the fleet due to order of movement, the following weapons will fire:
Plasma #9 will be fired upon by 1 Phaser-2(360) from the Knight Indominable, one Ph-2(360) from the Lancer Memory, 2 P-G shots (R+RR) from the Anarchist, 2 Ph-2s(FX) and 1 Ph2(R+RR) from the Anarchist, 2 Ph-2(FA+R)s from the Tranquillity.
Plasma #10 will receive the following fire: 1 Ph2(260) from the Inflexible, one P2(360) from the Thought, 2 Ph-2(FX) and 2 PG shots (R+RR) from the Anarchist, and 2 Ph2 (FA+R) from the Lord Marshal.
3:20: The Ranger turns to 0510A. The rest of the Fleet advances to 0610A.
IF the Plasma moves to 0511F, then the following weapons fire will take place:
Plasma #09 will be fired upon by 2 Ph-2 (FA+L) from the Lord Marshal and 2 PG (L+LR) from the Anarchist.
Plasma #10 will be fired upon by 2 Ph-2 (FA+L) from the Tranquility and 1 Ph-2 (LR+L) and 2 PG shots (L+LR) from the Anarchist.
IF the plasma moves to 0610A, then the following weapons fire takes place:
Plasma #09 will be fired upon by 1 Ph-2 (FA+R) shot from the Chivalry, and 2 PG (L+LR) from the Anarchist.
Plasma #10 will receive 1 Ph-2 (FA+R) shot from the Chivalry, and 1 Ph-2 (L+LR) and 2 PG (L+LR) from the Anarchist.

WE ARE OUT OF GUNS, unless we deploy fighters to act as a rear-guard. I don't like this option, as we'll leave them behind and they won't be armed with Fusions.

3:21: Plasma moves and impacts. I hope I haven't screwed us over any more and use all Batteries to mitigate the damage that comes in.

3:22: The Fleet rejoins when the Ranger sideslips into 0609A, and the Fleet moves forward into 0609A. The next plasma is in 0610 or 0710. Either way, we need to run away to deal with these guys, and we don't have much more to use. Here is where my previous frak up is really going to screw us over.

3:23: The Fleet advances to 0608. The trailing plasma has now moved 22 impulses and is in either 0609 or 0709. The further back Plasma-Rs are most likely in 0810.

3:24: The Fleet moves to 0607, while the nearer plasma is 1 hex behind. I cannot foresee any manoeuvres which will see us prevent the PLasma from impacting on the damaged shield next impulse.

3:25: The Fleet does not move, and the Plasma does. I hope and pray that all my efforts result in minimal damage to our ship. And I thank the Hydran Gods for the 27 point C enter Hull protecting our Shuttle Bay and Batteries.

3:26: The Fleet moves forward to 0606, while the Plasma is now on its 25th move and reduced to 5 points of damage.

3.27: The Fleet moves to 0605A

3.28: The Fleet turns to 0705B.

3:29: The Plasma could impact, but will do so on our #2 shield. I'm allright with this. It it kept to following in our footsteps exactly, then we will out run it completely, and I will stop marking its path for the rest of the turn.

3:30: The Fleet Sideslips to 0805F.

3:31: The Fleet moves forward to 0905F.

3:32: The Fleet sideslips to 1005F.

Are these your orders for the turn?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Assuming I haven't screwed up again, that should be it. Please wait for Shoeless to confirm that he understands what I'm doing though first.

Do you have any questions or concerns?

Oh! Damage for the Chivalry: Fired phasers before unfired phasers , Gatlings before Phaser-2s please. I'd rather be cross if I lost a phaser I would be using to shoot more plasma with.

BREAK
  • Any new Plasma within R8.
  • Uncloaking Romulan

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Yes, I do:

Do you want me to be planning moves for how the might intercept us for next turn or this turn? Because if the former then we should probably wait to see what the fighters' final positions will be. If the latter, why are we concerned with the fighter's plasma for the upcoming turn, they can't fire at us two turns in a row can they? It still takes 3 turns for their fighters to arm the torps right?

Also, I do believe I understand what you're currently doing for this second half of turn 3- we're continuing to move away from the plasma as much as possible to decrease their warhead strength while also shifting and moving to present no angles so that more of our phasers can be brought to bare on them now that our rears are mostly spent.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Shoeless posted:

Do you want me to be planning moves for how the might intercept us for next turn or this turn? Because if the former then we should probably wait to see what the fighters' final positions will be. If the latter, why are we concerned with the fighter's plasma for the upcoming turn, they can't fire at us two turns in a row can they? It still takes 3 turns for their fighters to arm the torps right?

They launched 24 fighters. They didn't launch 24 plasmas. (Including the ones killed and crippled), those fighters still on the board and facing us still have their torps available.

quote:

Also, I do believe I understand what you're currently doing for this second half of turn 3- we're continuing to move away from the plasma as much as possible to decrease their warhead strength while also shifting and moving to present no angles so that more of our phasers can be brought to bare on them now that our rears are mostly spent.

Yep, exactly that. I'm just worried that I messed up a plasma move somewhere, and my plans will fall apart. Well, time to take the plunge there.

Gnoman, the orders above are valid. We're ready for the rest of the turn, or a Break.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

berryjon posted:

They launched 24 fighters. They didn't launch 24 plasmas. (Including the ones killed and crippled), those fighters still on the board and facing us still have their torps available.

D'oh! :doh: Yeah that's a drat good reason.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Shoeless posted:

D'oh! :doh: Yeah that's a drat good reason.

This is why we have both of us doing things! People forget!

How's that turn 4 plot coming along? I hope it's not too much work.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

berryjon posted:

This is why we have both of us doing things! People forget!

How's that turn 4 plot coming along? I hope it's not too much work.

I"m gonna be honest, I got caught up in a video game and now it's bed time.I'm sorry to sound like a procrastinator, but I'll have it by noon CST tomorrow.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Okay, awake now and ready to work and I realized I still don't know if you wanted me to plot out potential enemy fighter intercept courses for this turn or next turn.

Edit: You know what, I'll assume you meant next turn and work with that. If I'm wrong I just have to do it again.

Let me know if anything is unclear or you have any questions.

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 18, 2015

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I'll look at that in more detail when I get home from work.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Impulse 17
Plasma Torpedo 9 at range 1 - Chivalry fires 1 phaser-G pulse into it - 4 Damage
Torpedo reduced from 50 to 48 warhead points
Plasma Torpedo 10 at range 1 - Chivalry fires 1 phaser-G pulse into it - 4 Damage
Torpedo reduced from 50 to 48 warhead points

Thought reports a War Eagle at range 16, RR

Impulse 18
Thought reports a War Eagle at range 17, RR

Impulse 19
Thought reports a War Eagle at range 17, RR

Weapons firing at Plasma Torpedoes

Indomitable fires 1 Phaser-2 at Plasma Torpedo 9 - 5 Damage (roll: 6)
Memory fires 1 Phaser-2 at plasma Torpedo 9 - 6 Damage (roll:1)
Anarchist fires 2 phaser-G pulses at Plasma Torpedo 9- 8 Damage (rolls: 5,5)
Anarchist fires 3 Phaser-2 Shots at plasma torpedo 9 - 16 damage (rolls: 5,3,4)
Tranqility fires 2 phaser-2 shots at plasma torpedo 9 - 11 damage (rolls: 1,6)

Plasma Torpedo 9 reduced from 33 warhead points to 10

Inflexible fires 1 Phaser 2 at plasma torpedo 10 - 6 damage (roll: 1)
Thought fires 1 Phaser 2 at plasma torpedo 10 - 5 damage (roll: 5)
Anarchist fires 2 Phaser 2 at plasma torpedo 10 - 11 Damage (roll: 2,5)
Anarchist fires 2 Phaser G pulses at plasma torpedo 10 - 8 damage (roll: 1, 6)
Lord Marshal fires 2 phaser-2 at plasma torpedo 10 - 12 damage (rolls: 1,2)

Plasma Torpedo reduced from 33 warhad points to 11

Impulse 20
Ships move as ordered, plasma torpedos sideslip to follow
Only legal weapon orders are the phaser-G shots from Anarchist (torpedo entered hex from directly behind the ships, only LR or RR weapons can bear)

Anarchist fires 2 phaser G pulses at plasma torpedo 9 - 6 damage (rolls 6,6)
Torpedo reduced from 10 damage to 7
Anarchist fires 2 phaser G pulses at plasma torpedo 10 - 8 damage (rolls 1,3)
Torpedo reduced from 11 damage to 7

Thought reports a War Eagle at range 18, RR

Chivlary spends 4 batteries to reinforce shield 3!

Impulse 21
Plasma Torpedo 9 IMPACTS on Chivalry shield 3 - 0 Damage
Plasma TOrpedo 10 IMPACTS on Chivlary shield 3 - 7 damage! 4 Damage stopped by reinforcement!
Chivalry shield 3 at 83%

Thought reports a War Eagle at range 18, RR

GM Discretion turn break! (In this case, you had weapon fire orders I could not fulfill, so you have guns ready you didn't expect to - this is to allow you the option of using them)

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
"Whew, okay that was intense. Still, only 3 damage got through, and we're safe now!"

Look at the map.

"Oh god there's 3 more pairs."

And all those are Plasma Rs, correct? Or are there a couple Fs in there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Shoeless posted:

"Whew, okay that was intense. Still, only 3 damage got through, and we're safe now!"

Look at the map.

"Oh god there's 3 more pairs."

And all those are Plasma Rs, correct? Or are there a couple Fs in there?

2 R's, then 2 F's, then 2 R's. Alright, let's see where I went wrong with my planning... The F's can still be ignored.

I really need to know that. Gnooble, I would like a hex-by hex accounting of where those two groups of Plasma R's were moving over the past few impulses. Using the map I put into my orders for hex#'s, could you please fill this out so I can see what they were doing?

code:
Game:     Something Aweful Campaign
Turn/Imp: 3:17 to 3:21/BREAK
Player:   The Other Guys
Ship:     Romulan Torpeoes

=========================================================================
IMP  Pl-R  Pl-R  RANGR FLEET | ACTIONS
16   1114  1315  0712F 0712F |
17                           |
18               0611F 0612F |