Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

We need 1 more to start the MFL10 I setup. For those not familiar with MFL10's, it's currently best ball and draft only. There's no in season management, trades, free agency, or setting lineups. Think of it as a mock draft with :10bux: on the line. It's not live drafting, you have 8 hours to make a pick. As you get closer to the start of the season they reduce that to 4 and stop the timer at night, but for now it counts continuously. You can input an overall ranking list or input a series of players you want to select with a given pick. Hopefully if there's enough interest I intend to create another once the previous has finished. They generally take 1-2 weeks to finish. This one has been a little slow to gather the 12 players but I assume as we get closer to the start of the season more people will show up. I'd love to get 5-10 in before the season start, I'd much rather play with goons even if the level of skill is likely higher.

http://football20.myfantasyleague.com/2015/public?O=12&ACTION=LIST&PASSWORD=goon2015

The website is slightly infuriating. Most importantly, to draft someone you go to My Team Page, the second bullet is Make a Draft or Pre-Draft Pick. I normally import a ranking list so that if I do miss out on a pick it gives me someone halfway decent. The default ADP can be pretty bizarre on the site. If you timeout on 2 picks in a row it moves you to autodraft, so make sure you consistently input a pick or set a pre-draft pick if you've missed 2.

I encourage the participants to post their pick and logic, especially for the first 4-5 rounds. I want to be clear that due to the buy in I have no special commissioner powers. I can't change picks if you messed up, facilitate trades or change anything about the scoring at all. As a high level summary, it's PPR with 2 RB's, 3 WR's and a flex position. There is no kicker position, just defense.

To keep this open to new people, people in the previous MFL will not have priority to be placed in the next one. As the current one nears the end I'll post a new league and the first 11 people to sign up are in. There's no wait list but if you want to message me your email I'll send you a message when the new link goes up. If there's enough interest I'm happy to create more than 1 or have someone else do so. I think it's a great way to hone your draft skills and get some semi-serious experience in before drafting for other leagues at the end of August.

Resources: I strongly encourage you to listen to the Ross Tucker and Evan Silva's Fantasy Feast podcast from July 8th with Jason Phelps of Draftsharks. He is a very experienced programmer who's taken the last 2 years of data for every MFL league and done some fascinating analysis. It provides some great rules of thumb as to when to take certain positions and how many to take for each. When I listen to it again I want to take notes, so I'll post the cliff notes here eventually. I haven't seen any MFL specific rankings, but you do need to do some thinking as to how the best ball setup changes the relative value of certain players. For example, whack-a-mole players become more valuable, as you don't need to worry about consistency.

1st MFL hopefully starting by this weekend: millertime3250, Azhais, genius384, Quarterroys, drizzle, Varg, weas, Rcarr, spacejung, jmkrisko and papes.

One more thought. As the season gets closer they do have regular MFL10, 25, 50 and 100 where you have free agency and set lineups. I'd be happy to setup a few of those, including 1 or 2 at higher stakes like $50 or $100. We could also do 1-2 that are draft only with higher stakes.

EDIT: Second goon MFL10 draft only league is recruiting now, as we're in something like the 16th round of the first one. It'll start once we have 12. As a reminder if you want to see how many people are left go to where you'd join a public MFL, below them you'll see the private ones you joined.

http://football20.myfantasyleague.com/2015/public?O=12&ACTION=LIST&PASSWORD=goonsquad2015

Its Miller Time fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

89 posted:

Whoa, heyo. I signed up, my name isn't listed!

Any chance you were the 12th man? I'm sorry to hear that. I have no control and can not make any manual changes to the participating teams. All I can offer is a guaranteed slot in the next go around. Contact MFL for an explanation. If there are enough problems we could do a free MFL league and handle payment through Leaguesafe or another service, then we'd cut out MFL and the commissioner would have the ability to change teams, players, scoring etc. I saw Beer did one in May and offered to switch a pick if you timed out and wanted someone the next person(s) didn't select yet. By the way, it's $100 for first place and a $10 credit to play another MFL10 next year for second place. So they're taking :10bux:. If you play an MFL25 ($25 entry fee) it's $200 for first, $50 for second and a $25 credit to play another MFL25 for third, which means they take $25. Seems like their cut is 1 entry fee at each level.

We finally filled the league. In descending draft order:

1. James G
2. Ryan C
3. Phil P
4. Karl V
5. Rockabilly Lives
6. Micah N
7. Dan M
8. Jeff K
9. Josh M
10. Axelord
11. V G
12. Brett D

Draft starts 10AM PST/1PM EST tomorrow, Sunday the 12th.

Its Miller Time fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jul 12, 2015

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

1. Antonio Brown
2. Le'Veon Bell
3. Jamaal Charles

Certainly not a typical start.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I'd take Brown with the 3rd or 4th pick.

1.09: I took Julio Jones. With the first tier of RB's off the board I figure some decent RB has to fall to me at #16. I considered D. Thomas, Dez and Julio. I have Thomas in a lot of leagues and am concerned about Kubiak and Peyton's age. I kind of flipped a coin and looked at rankings for Dez vs. Julio. They finished next to each other last year.

Its Miller Time fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 13, 2015

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Forte in the 2nd is to me tremendous value. Looks like I started a WR run. I was very happy to see Foster, someone I briefly considered taking 9th, fell to 16th.

2.4: Foster

2.3 Jordy Nelson, GB WR
2.2 Matt Forte, CHI RB
2.1 Alshon Jeffery, CHI WR
1.12 Calvin Johnson, DET WR
1.11 Dez Bryant, DAL WR
1.10 Demaryius Thomas, DEN WR
1.9 Julio Jones, ATL WR
1.8 Marshawn Lynch, SEA RB
1.7 Adrian Peterson, MIN RB
1.6 Odell Beckham, NYG WR
1.5 Eddie Lacy, GB RB
1.4 Rob Gronkowski, NE TE
1.3 Jamaal Charles, KC RB
1.2 Le'Veon Bell, PIT RB
1.1 Antonio Brown, PIT WR

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I encourage everyone to post a sentence or two of logic behind your pick.

Craziest thing I saw in Beer's May MFL - someone insisted they don't draft defenses because it reduces the number of sleepers they can take. He cited ownership statistics from last year that suggested he played in a lot of MFL's too. He said the average defense scores 6-7 points. I've tried to think this out. The (potentially flawed) way I look at it in my head is if you get a WR1 from nowhere, you can shift your other players down a spot. So if you expect 15 from a WR1, 10 from WR2 and 7 from WR3 you'd go from 15,10,7 to 15,15,10. It still seems pretty ridiculous to forego any position entirely, what are the odds you draft someone with significant impact in the 19th or 20th round?

Its Miller Time fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 13, 2015

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Cervixalot posted:

Can't pass up Frank Gore here at 3.7. Ahmad Bradshaw put up great numbers in the Colts O last year while healthy, and Gore is poised to have an oustanding year in a this high powered offense. He's also got really nice PPR upside now that the Greg Roman shackles have come off and he'll catch some passes.

Frank Gore is my favorite player this year.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

What's a hot total loss.

The two picks I wanted, Cooks and Gore, were taken right before me so I took Ellington. If he's healthy he could be good.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Timed out to Sammy Watkins, not pleased. Should have imported a list.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Who's got the best and worst team through 5 rounds?

Its Miller Time fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 15, 2015

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Spoeank posted:

I grabbed Big Ben because if Bryant and Brown are gonna be so goddamned special then Big Ben should be a'ight.

Down with this.

I took Steve Smith Sr. My logic is that someone has to catch passes on the Ravens. Flacco throws for 4k and you have Forsett, Smith and 2 rookies, Perriman and Maxx.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Patriots players would seem to be good for best ball. Every game 1 of them has a huge day because of the game plan. Good luck guessing who.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

8.4 Chris Ivory - Finished #24 last year in PPR points for RB's last year.. Report came out former staff limited his carries, forcing him to split them with CJ2K. Still got 9.5 ppg. There's other RB's on the Jets but they don't offer a lot of diversification. Could be the feature back if he gets hot.

9.9 Pierre Garcon - Several reports have mentioned Gruden saying he wants to get him more involved, that he's moved from the left side to being split out wide to the right in the Z. Obviously 2013 was a lot of RG3 but he showed he's got talent. If he can get up to 80 catches, 1k yards, 5 TD's he'd finish in the top 25 and be great value.

10.4 Delanie Walker - I think he could be a sleeper TE prospect. Finished #8 last year with 12ppg.

11.9 Seahawks D - Autodraft pick, sorry. Not too mad though.

12.4 DeAngelo Williams - Primary back when Bell is out. If he produces as an RB1 for a couple weeks it will have been worth it.

13.9 Lance Dunbar - Early June reports said he's competing with Williams for the roster, now they're saying the Cowboys *actually* want to get him more involved. 3 Dallas beat reporters have said Williams won't make the roster and he's had knee swelling. Randle probably can't carry a Murray workload and they have a great offensive line. And if Randle gets injured, especially if they work him into the ground, Dunbar's looking great. And McFadden sucks.

Its Miller Time fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I've created another MFL10 for those interested, because we all know the fun lies in the first 4-5 rounds.

http://football20.myfantasyleague.com/2015/public?O=12&ACTION=LIST&PASSWORD=goonsquad2015

• Locked thread