Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
I recently started watching The Sopranos™. I'm on season 2. I can't tell if it's good or not. Some parts I really enjoy and some parts are literally the worst thing that's ever happened to me. how do you feel about The Sopranos ™?

does it get better?

does it get worse?

did you enjoy watching it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
Tony seems to have a nice family here why cant he just be happy

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I thought it was good. Watched it when it was new and this was a vibrant forum with game day threads too which might skewer my perception.

A Baroque Turd
Jul 10, 2015
Tony dies in the last episode also his therapist gets raped

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
It's actually probably the best show ever made. I mean it's not star trek sir goon, but it is good.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

A Baroque Turd posted:

k

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
it kinda feels like someone took goodfellas and injected a very healthy dose of soap opera

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
yet i want to keep watching

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
I love sopranos, but then theres so many scenes that are dumb as gently caress

like all the caracters that arent part of tonys fam are pretty much paper thin stereotypes of black ppl/intelectuals/whatevs

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
The gay stuff series 4 or whenever was the most stupid, ridiculous stuff ever.

Apart from that, my second favourite show after the wire.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
i love you johnny cakes

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

ROFLburger posted:

it kinda feels like someone took goodfellas and injected a very healthy dose of soap opera

the culminator posted:

I love sopranos, but then theres so many scenes that are dumb as gently caress

like all the caracters that arent part of tonys fam are pretty much paper thin stereotypes of black ppl/intelectuals/whatevs

Sopranos is basically a love letter to Martin Scorsese and other mob movies, and it suffers for it. I rewatched it with my girlfriend a few months ago (she ended up losing interest around the homosexual sub plot and we stopped) and it is amazing how bad many scenes in the first season are, especially the first few episodes.

Tony interacting with his family is the only redeeming part of this show.

Sopranos fans are pretty bad too, notable in the Sopranos Wiki where they have a Kill Count for each episode.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
i watched about as far as you have and i really didn't like it. i don't care about the domestic problems of a fat wog

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

A Baroque Turd posted:

actually hes alive bitch

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
theres some bad stuff in the first couple seasons. the episode where they insert livia via cgi is dumb. it's really good though. keep watching.

A Baroque Turd
Jul 10, 2015

XMNN posted:

actually hes alive bitch

gabagoulle

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think it's funny how Chase bitched out on the cliffhanger ending after Gandolfini died

:qq:TONY IS ALIVE, HE'S ALIVE SOMEWHERE... POSSIBLY INSIDE EACH OF US :qq:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
tony never woke up from his coma hes alive but a vegetable

its canon

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

logical phalluses posted:

theres some bad stuff in the first couple seasons. the episode where they insert livia via cgi is dumb. it's really good though. keep watching.

Lol when did this happen I don't remember THAT!

Verily I Shat
May 24, 2015

by Smythe
Tony Homo Soprano

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Lol when did this happen I don't remember THAT!
proshai livushka, the one where she dies because the actress had died

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club
i think it does get better with time. the characters change, especially the kids getting older. story arcs become very big with events in early seasons spanning their effects across the entire show

it's def one of the best shows, hope you enjoy it op

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club

britishbornandbread posted:

watching a lot of daily show clips from the last 20 years this month has reminded me with surprise how big of a scary deal homosexuality was in the early 2000's.

it was the hottest, scariest social issue, and was the issue that galvanized voters in 2004 and made them re-elect a retarded war criminal monkey after everyone figured out the war was a sham

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
the parts where the computer animated his mom in after the actress died look hideous now. great show tho.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Tony's coma and dream sequences were snore fests by the end.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Professor Shark posted:

Tony's coma and dream sequences were snore fests by the end.

Yeah that one season where he spent it in a coma was utter poo poo

The first season kinda sucked and it wasn't until maybe the fourth season where the show really hit its stride

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club

Toriori posted:

the parts where the computer animated his mom in after the actress died look hideous now. great show tho.

i seriously never noticed this

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Yeah that one season where he spent it in a coma was utter poo poo

The first season kinda sucked and it wasn't until maybe the fourth season where the show really hit its stride

i really liked the dream sequences, the surreal quality and heavy symbolism just made it feel like it really was oozing out of someone's subconscious

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
What was that whole subplot of him waiting to kill that bear? They spent so much time on it. Made it seem like it had some relevance and then they did nothing with it.

The ending was actually pretty good in that they're saying being in the mob sucks and isn't glamorous. They were showing you that he has to live in constant fear, even when doing something as mundane as going out for dinner with his family.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

Toriori posted:

Are you talking about this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS0DQKHMpM8

Thats not so bad IMO

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Keep Autism Wired posted:

i think it does get better with time. the characters change, especially the kids getting older. story arcs become very big with events in early seasons spanning their effects across the entire show

that's true, college meadow did get really hot

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Toriori posted:

I couldn't believe they thought the could get away with that, it always looked bad

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
it was a good show but at times it got a little too far up its own rear end imo

and wow i didn't realise at the time how bad CGI ma was

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004

britishbornandbread posted:

Yea why they have to show guys kissing and stuff. Yuck gross!

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club

Cool NIN Shirt posted:

Are you talking about this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS0DQKHMpM8

Thats not so bad IMO

yeah for real, a lot of the comments are saying this is horrible it looks like a cartoon yadda yadda yadda

i keep rewatching it and i still can't tell. I'm impressed considering how old it is

Macasaurus
Oct 12, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

(she ended up losing interest around the homosexual sub plot and we stopped)

same, but with my last threesome

:(

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

I like the Sopranos up until maybe the fourth season and then it plateaued like crazy and got super boring. I really don't understand why people still go apeshit over it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm about where you are OP and while I want to keep watching I find Christopher boring as day-old paint and the show is already leaning way too hard on his bullshit.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

tons of shows ripped off the 'soap opera family squabbles with murders' formula so it might feel like you've seen it before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

everyone who was on the Sopranos are dead now

• Locked thread