Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
how would they be received? A lot of folks probably think a modern dude could wow the medieval peasants with their technology and knowledge, but i think they would basically view you as a retard cause you can't tell the difference between oats and barley or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
they'd probably die of the plague or something that we don't have any immunity against

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
i would get super rich by investing in AAPL or MSFT

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club
they'd die a week after their batteries ran out

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

Uhhh this already happened op it's a little thing you might have heard of called bill and ted's excellent adventure

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

killed by the shock of seeing many unkempt bushes during sex imo

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

they'd probably die of the plague or something that we don't have any immunity against

imagine trying to convince a bunch of medieval folks that diseases are almost all due to these invisible things called "viruses" and "bacteria" and can largely be stopped by washing your hands after you poo

Hell Yeah posted:

killed.o...or aroused?

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club

Hell Yeah posted:

what are you, a bush archeologist?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Would probably poo poo my pants to death from being exposed to hundreds of bacterial types that had been previously wiped out.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Keep Autism Wired posted:

what are you, a bush archeologist?

Minimum Syntaxing
Oct 29, 2008

He looks white, but he's the son of a black man!
I wanna bone a suit of platemail like a realdoll

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club

Harald posted:

imagine trying to convince a bunch of medieval folks that diseases are almost all due to these invisible things called "viruses" and "bacteria" and can be stopped by washing your hands after you poo

um how is that any different from thinking diseases are caused by invisible demons that hate soap and can be stopped by washing your hands after you do any unclean thing

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw7dzS8UJ4Q

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
It'd be pretty hard to communicate. Assuming you travelled through time and space, depending on what year it is, English will range from difficult to impossible to understand.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFriRcIwqNU

jgriffis0113
Jul 9, 2015

by Ralp
Nah soon as the person sent back in time landed in their new timeline they would most likely be dead inside of 3 or 4 days. The diseases we have built a immunity to in our time are nothing compared to what they were then.

Time travelling snot factory...and dead.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

I think we have more resistance to the plague now than we did back then. They were a totally naive population from an disease standpoint

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
If you think about it, we are descended from the people who survived all of the old plagues

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
we'd probably give them all a shitload of diseases we're asymptomatic carriers of and wipe out the human race

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

FordPRefectLL posted:

we'd probably give them all a shitload of diseases we're asymptomatic carriers of and wipe out the human race

Hell, aforementioned traveller would probably be radioactive compared to the background of that era.

Also yeah, disease/bad water would probably be a factor. As would not speaking the language. Maybe if you knew French? Has it evolved as much?

Future Mrs Booger
Jan 18, 2012
They would be burned at the stake for witchcraft moments after they arrived.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

I'd use my phone to impress some medieval pussy into letting me into her bed chambers while her husband is out tilling his Lord's crops and get cock blocked by my own sense of smell.

I'd also probably be burned alive for witchcraft.

RadioactiveKid
Aug 12, 2005

Gato Rebelde
the average modern person couldn't teach a medieval person dick without Wikipedia, and an educated modern person would probably be accused of being a witch and burned at the stake

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

Future Mrs Booger posted:

They would be burned at the stake for witchcraft moments after they arrived.

This is probably what would happen.

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

uh i'm pretty sure the opposite would happen

you would be a loving harbinger of death everywhere you went as you spread vastly more evolved forms of illness every loving where to people that have literally no chance of being immune to it.

also, you'd at least know enough to not drink the water and clean wounds and poo poo, even with just basic first aid skills you'd be the best doctor in town, of course, you'd also be killing everyone so....

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast

RadioactiveKid posted:

the average modern person couldn't teach a medieval person dick without Wikipedia, and an educated modern person would probably be accused of being a witch and burned at the stake

they didn't really burn people at the stake in the Middle Ages, that was a more modern thing sadly.

also you underestimate just how powerful a basic understanding of first aid and germ theory would be. I think you'd be pretty god drat impressed at what you could do for them with just basic conceptual understanding of things.

For example off the top of my head we understand how lift is necessary for flight, a pretty basic yet unknown at the time concept.

the real challenge would be being able to communicate at all, and not killing everyone by coughing.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Hmm so much for French:

Wikipedia posted:

French also shows enormous phonetic changes between the Old French period and the modern language. Spelling, however, has barely changed, which accounts for the wide differences between current spelling and pronunciation. Some of the most profound changes have been:

The loss of almost all final consonants.
The subsequent loss of final /ǝ/, which caused the appearance of many newly final consonants.
The loss of the formerly strong stress that had characterized the language throughout much of its history and triggered many of the phonetic deformations.
Significant transformations in the pronunciation of vowels, especially nasal vowels.

Looks like if you're time travelling you should hope you know 'classic' latin, Icelandic, or Lithuanian:
http://www.quora.com/What-language-has-changed-the-least

Start brushing up guys!

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

I think we have more resistance to the plague now than we did back then. They were a totally naive population from an disease standpoint

If you think about it, we are descended from the people who survived all of the old plagues

an Epidemiologist and Jean-Baptiste Lamarck walk into a bar....

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
i would spread my seed so that 99% of people could trace their ancestry back to me

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Make sure to teach them about vaccines, and that they're evil and cause autism while you're there

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They would venerate you as sky king and treat you as a god

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Keep Autism Wired posted:

an Epidemiologist and Jean-Baptiste Lamarck walk into a bar....

There's acquired immunity on an individual sense, and then there are the genetic changes that people as a whole have undergone over the last couple hundred years up through the industrial revolution that have allowed people to live in densely packed areas without always killing each other inadvertently with disease

Keep Autism Wired
Feb 22, 2009

Kristen Schaal Lub Club

There's acquired immunity on an individual sense, and then there are the genetic changes that people as a whole have undergone over the last couple hundred years up through the industrial revolution that have allowed people to live in densely packed areas without always killing each other inadvertently with disease

lets burn this witch

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
For example, in populations that have been urbanized for a long time, they have undergone selective pressure on the the SLC125(? Idk look it up) gene, which appears to confer some resistance to common crowd diseases

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I often think about traveling back in time to another era in human history but I always stop short when I realize that everybody probably smelled like poo poo any further than 150 years ago tops.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Dead Gay Romans posted:

also, you'd at least know enough to not drink the water and clean wounds and poo poo, even with just basic first aid skills you'd be the best doctor in town, of course, you'd also be killing everyone so....

i would watch this time travel comedy

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
even when it comes to something simple like cleaning a wound..yeah good luck getting iodine or hydrogen peroxide or whatver from the drugstore.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

If you were a carrier, for say, Small Pox, wouldn't the version you are carrying be the attenuated version you were once inoculated with? e.g. easier to resist?

Also telling people about germ theory is all well and good, but unless you track down medieval Robert Hook and can have him grind you up a microscope you're not going to convince anyone.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

i would watch this time travel comedy

It would be great of the protagonist was a lower level aide of some kind and the king's physicians are all wanting to bleed people for being hot blooded or applying rat feces poultices or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Scaramouche posted:

If you were a carrier, for say, Small Pox, wouldn't the version you are carrying be the attenuated version you were once inoculated with? e.g. easier to resist?

Also telling people about germ theory is all well and good, but unless you track down medieval Robert Hook and can have him grind you up a microscope you're not going to convince anyone.

I wouldn't tell them

• Locked thread