Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

The reformation is actually about ethics in popery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
as long as the twink is willing there's nothing wrong with bear baiting

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Toadvine fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 14, 2015

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Good point.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'd say I was from the kingdom of Prester John

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Angela Christine posted:

Lord wasn't the one who would have to haul extra pails of water from the town well to each hovel and privy. People will skimp like hell any time the lord isn't looking.

That's what nail and back of the ear inspection is for. You just need to set up a kapo to keep everyone in line.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
It would be cool to go back to medieval times and realise the people who you've seen statues of or in movies didnt look like , they looked like

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MeLKoR posted:

That's what nail and back of the ear inspection is for. You just need to set up a kapo to keep everyone in line.

no one in the middle ages would put up with that bullshit, these are people born before the invention of absolutism, totalitarianism, fordism, or even clocks. they did what they wanted on their own pace. you might be able to beat some grains or services out of them a few times a year, but for the most part you cant really regulate them very much

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Baracula posted:

"Look at that loving idiot retard bumpkin not having an opinion on the substance of Christ. What a dumbass loving moron human being." -some filthy butcher who shits in the street, 1200AD
Yeah I'm sure they'd really care about your views on transubstantiation.

You go to church to smell incense and pick up chicks, just like nowadays.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
the lords put a lot of pressure and attention on their peasants to give them the most work and productivity, but the lords also wouldn't give a poo poo about the peasants dying since they'd rather they were harvesting than washing their huts.

until the black death made peasant labour scarce and everything kicked off. the only reason we aren't still living in mud huts is because that disease killed half of the peasants in europe.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Saurus posted:

until the black death made peasant labour scarce and everything kicked off. the only reason we aren't still living in mud huts is because that disease killed half of the peasants in europe.

thank mr skeletal

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

i would make up the three shell method and beat demolition man by a 1000 years

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

seems like a lot of work, better just take some guns

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

SaltLick posted:

i would make up the three shell method and beat demolition man by a 1000 years

if everyone used the three shells we could save the amazon

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Nation posted:

seems like a lot of work, better just take some guns

this is probably the best answer itt. strap up, assert your dominance and MAKE the ignorant listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Maybe you could develop the sugar beet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_beet Depending on when and where you land, cane sugar can be rare and expensive.

You'd need to find some of the sweeter white beets, not the stronger flavored red beets, but those should already exist. Sugar beets were developed from fodder beets. A few decades of selective breeding will improve them substantially, but you can start with whatever is available.

The easiest production method is to cut them up small and boil them for hours, then squeeze the juice out of the mash. Feed the mash to pigs. Reduce the juice to a thick liquid similar to honey or molasses. This isn't a high quality sugar, but it is a proof of concept.

To get a better quality sugar you need Milk of Lime (AKA limewater, whitewash) to precipitate out the organic compounds, and then carbon dioxide to precipitate out the calcium from the lime. Carbon dioxide could be tricky, it looks like they didn't find reliable ways to produce it until the late 1700s. It looks like you can do it by dripping Oil of Vitriol (sulfuric acid) onto chalk. Eh, within the realm of possibility.

Easier than making good steel or safely making gunpowder or Greek fire. Instead of making warfare, you'll be introducing the medieval rich to the wonders of Type 2 Diabetes centuries early. There is no war but class war.

• Locked thread