Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
That a was a nice mini combo by wonderboy. :lol: as a type

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Holy poo poo how did Ellenberger not die from that kick?

edit: dies from another kick as I type this :lol:

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
amazing drat

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....
knockout to two roundhouse kicks mortal kombat 2 style haha beautiful

cams
Mar 28, 2003

holy poo poo

a fighter i really like managed to win a fight

this hasn't happened in a while

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
That one will be shown on highlight reels for a while.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

That was loving rad.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Stephen Thompson is welterweight Conor McGregor and is super loving impressive.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

TWO IN ONE FIGHT

Wonderboy just gave us a hell of a deal

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
I screamed irl

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
that.... was sweet

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
That was loving awesome

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Wonderboy is so fun to watch

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Wonderboy sorta looked like he learned to wrestle a bit too.

Neat.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That was a fun fight

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Le Saboteur posted:

Oh man that knockout Thompson has where the guy starts drunkenly flailing and falling is pretty great.

yeah and he got another one!

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

That one will be shown on highlight reels for a while.

But Robbie Lawler just won LAST night???

So glad I paused Bobs Burgers to remember the main event was about to start.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
That was some top notch spinning poo poo.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
"He told me to spin, so I span"

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

It took his body a solid second to realize it'd been knocked the gently caress out

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Dad tells son to spam kicks like you're playing EA UFC and fighter wins.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Wow for some reason I thought Wonderboy had a lot more fights in the UFC

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Condit vs Wonderboy plez

Tyree
Sep 11, 2003

STRETCH

STRETCH

STRETCH
Id like to see wonderboy rematch brown.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Lloyd Boner posted:

Condit vs Wonderboy plez
this fight would be entertaining but i like thompson and do not want to see him get killed by my favorite cyborg fighting machine

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

He strikes me as the kind of guy who will destroy someone who's just a bit below his level, or be not so exciting against guys at or above (see his Cote fight). The best use of Wonderboy is for killing surging B-level guys. He would have been a great tool for getting read of Pendred.

Put him against Doomsday next. :commissar:

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I had no idea this was on tonight, did they even promo it more than once during the ultimate PPV? haha

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Tyree posted:

Id like to see wonderboy rematch brown.

this is the second time posted in this thread and I'm not sure why. Matt Brown would hurt Thompson really badly this time I feel. Stephen Thompson is cool but Matt Brown is impervious to pain and then he murders people with offense. You either need to wrestle him down to control the demon or fight a really dangerously close fight like the one he had against Robbie, who showed last night in the Rory fight that he's even crazier than Matt Brown when it comes to being fueled by pain.

tl;dr: Stephen Thompson is cool and if you want a sweet meaningful matchup you do him vs Magny for "new legit welterweight of 2015." That's what I think. Let the freak pain demons Robbie/Brown/Condit fight it out for the belt for a few years.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Bubba Smith posted:

tl;dr: Stephen Thompson is cool and if you want a sweet meaningful matchup you do him vs Magny for "new legit welterweight of 2015." That's what I think. Let the freak pain demons Robbie/Brown/Condit fight it out for the belt for a few years.

Thompson vs. Gunnar would be cool too

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

Le Saboteur posted:

Stephen Thompson is welterweight Conor McGregor and is super loving impressive.

What a shame they didn't have this fight on last night's main card. Thompson would be blowing up right now.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
i'm glad somebody took a cutting of the vitor plant and grew it tenderly in dbol so that it can lose in devastating fashion to like, cb dollaway and the laziest lightweight on earth

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

i'm glad somebody took a cutting of the vitor plant and grew it tenderly in dbol so that it can lose in devastating fashion to like, cb dollaway and the laziest lightweight on earth

I don't actually dislike Cezar Mutant but his association with Vitor and obvious prior steroid abuse makes those knockouts all the more satisfying.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

Bubba Smith posted:

this is the second time posted in this thread and I'm not sure why. Matt Brown would hurt Thompson really badly this time I feel. Stephen Thompson is cool but Matt Brown is impervious to pain and then he murders people with offense. You either need to wrestle him down to control the demon or fight a really dangerously close fight like the one he had against Robbie, who showed last night in the Rory fight that he's even crazier than Matt Brown when it comes to being fueled by pain.

I don't want to overrate him and be like that guy who is dazzled by a recent performance but I think Thompson would be a very good shot against Brown now that he's learned how to wrestle. He managed to knock Brown out twice in their fight last time and Brown gained control of that fight with wrestling. Thompson just outwrestled Jake Ellenberger... Definitely be an interesting rematch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtqJIY9U2h0

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Matt Brown sounds pretty soft spoken in that interview right there. Mostly because he had a tough fight, but also because he hadn't gone on his 7 fight winning streak yet + gone toe-to-toe with the future champion which is why he's confident as hell right now. Stephen Thompson has gain some confidence too and I'm not saying it would be a bad rematch but Matt Brown imo turned poo poo on in that Mike Pyle fight. That's when he genuinely realized "i'm one of the best in the division" when beforehand he was still trying to prove it to everybody, including himself. Now we all know.

if Magny beats Maia in a few weeks I still think that's the fight to do. Magny vs Thompson, Maia vs Ellenberger, Condit vs Brown where's my money UFC

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

squarerandom posted:

The time UFC comes to San Diego, and I'm in goddamn Maryland.

I trust you left SD for a good reason because good lord that's unfortunate

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

-Atom- posted:

I trust you left SD for a good reason because good lord that's unfortunate

:negative: OF course I did. Of course I did :negative:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Bubba Smith posted:

Matt Brown sounds pretty soft spoken in that interview right there. Mostly because he had a tough fight, but also because he hadn't gone on his 7 fight winning streak yet + gone toe-to-toe with the future champion which is why he's confident as hell right now. Stephen Thompson has gain some confidence too and I'm not saying it would be a bad rematch but Matt Brown imo turned poo poo on in that Mike Pyle fight. That's when he genuinely realized "i'm one of the best in the division" when beforehand he was still trying to prove it to everybody, including himself. Now we all know.

if Magny beats Maia in a few weeks I still think that's the fight to do. Magny vs Thompson, Maia vs Ellenberger, Condit vs Brown where's my money UFC

Same

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Put those three on the card with Aldo/McGregor and Frankie/mendes

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Time for some Wednesday Night Fight Action!

UFC Fight Night 71 — 10 p.m. ET July 15 on FS1

Heavyweight
Francisco Santos Mir III vs. Todd the Duffman Duffee

Frank Mir gets a lot of poo poo from goons for being a doofy weirdo. While he's not above unironically answering "myself" when asked who his toughest opponent in the Octagon was and has earned a bad rap by proxy when Joe Rogan became convinced he was the smartest fighter alive because he read a book once, he is also a pretty cool fighter. The winningest heavyweight in UFC history is also back in the win column after a four-fight skid that was, in no small part, due to his name value insisting he be booked against top-level competition despite being an old tired worn-down dustman who should retire. Fortunately for him, he is in heavyweight, where even people with that description can find the right guy to mess up real bad. (Thanks Bigfoot!) If he can't get past Todd Duffee, look for him to get "the talk" soon thereafter and be a Hall of Fame shoe-in within the next two years.

With his protruding jaw, bizarre teeth and obscure auto-immune disease, Todd Duffee is that over-exaggerated Frankenstein from a children's cartoon who seems menacing and frightening when he's first introduced but is actually just misunderstood and ends up helping the children defeat the wizard and release the unicorns. He's finally back to an active workload after taking a few years off to deal with his Parsonage-Turner Syndrome, and scored a 33-second KTFO in his return bout at UFC 181. He lost against Alistair Overeem back when that was ok, but before that he got KOd by Mike Russow, and I don't think there was ever a point in history where that was ok. He was also unceremoniously cut from the UFC his first run after complaining about fighter pay, so I'm sure I speak for everyone when we say we are thrilled to have him back in the Reebok Epoch.

Lightweight
Josh Thomson vs. Tony Ferguson

Josh Thomson has bird bones, hates gays and loves losing controversial split decisions. His first UFC run was way back in 2003, when there wasn't even a belt in his division. He went on to become a Strikeforce darling (thanks to the beneficial matchmaking afforded AKA fighters) where he fought for the belt against the likes of Clay Guida and Giblert Melendez, winning it once. He also fought in the Playboy Mansion a few times, which is just swell. Last but not least he is the first and only person to KO Nate Diaz to date, so he can't be all that bad.

Tony Ferguson has really put it together over the past few years to become a legitimate guy to watch at lightweight, despite fighting in a way that at one judge thought he lost to Danny Castillo. He was a huge drunken rear end in a top hat on the Ultimate Fighter, but his only UFC loss has been to the indomitably inconsistent Michael Johnson. He's a scrappy submission expert, so look for him to try and hurt Thomson on the feet before snagging a choke.

Women's Bantamweight
Holly Holm vs. Marion Reneau

Holly Holm did not live up to her hype in her debut. She was an exciting win away from the title shot fast track, but a tepid decision over Rocky Pennington leaves her here with Dana White saying she's got another several to go. The former pro boxer and Jackson-Winklejohn fighter might have a fire lit under her rear end now though, and seeing as she does have a couple of sweet head-kick KOs in other promotions, it does seem she actually possesses a decent enough toolset in MMA instead of just relying on her hands.

Marion Reneau is a PE teacher at the D6 Farmersville High School. She kicked an overweight Alexis Dufresne oyut of the UFC and got a pretty nice triangle on Jessica Andrade, and to the best of my knowledge we have not seen Holly Holm's grappling tested in any real way.

Bantamweight
Scott Jorgensen vs. Manny Gamburyan

If you like The Fighter Formerly Known as Scotty and you don't like Manny Gamburyan (i.e. every goon) don't watch this fight bc you'll probably cry

Lightweight
Kevin Lee vs. James Moontasri

Kevin Lee's only pro loss is a decision to Ragin' Al Iaquinta, which isn't a bad loss to have. He also doesn't really have any notable performances in the UFC. The most memorable thing is getting kicked in the balls by Jon Tuck. Don't become known for your damaged balls, Kevin. Achieve greatness.

James Moontasri has a cool last name. He lost in his UFC debut to Joe Ellenberger, Jake Ellenberger's even worse twin brother with a weird blood disease. He also beat Cody Pfister, who you might remember last weekend from a subpar fight on a much better card than this one. Both guys in this bout do have a decent list of finishes pre-UFC competition, so they might be on each others' level of bad enough that it can produce a fun fight.

Welterweight
Alan Jouban vs. Matt Dwyer

If he's not knocking people out cold with punches and elbows, (which are always cool), Alan Jouban is getting decisioned by TUF Brasil-alum Warlley Alves.

Matt Dwyer got one of the four performance of the night awards on the Mir Bigfoot card with a superman punch KO , which is also always cool. When he's not doing that, though, he's getting KO'd in a cool way of his own against Albert Tumenov. Basically probably someone's getting KO'd but it won't matter because neither guy will make a big splash in the UFC 170-pound division anytime soon. It makes for good watching tonight though, so stay tuned!

OTHER poo poo TO WATCH
FSI prelims which are technically a different thing, 8 p.m. ET
Featherweight Sam Sicilia vs. Yaotzin Meza
Women's Bantamweight Jéssica Andrade vs. Sarah Moras
Bantamweight Rani Yahya vs. Masanori Kanehara
Welterweight Igor Araujo vs. Sean Strickland

Fight Pass Early Prelims, 7 p.m. ET
Middleweight Kevin Casey vs. Ildemar Alcântara
Welterweight Andrew Craig vs. Lyman Good

Weigh-ins in half an hour
http://www.ufc.com/media/fight-night-san-diego-official-weigh-in-2015

This is probably the best of the three free cards this week, so if you only pick one, this is the one to pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Parsonage–Turner syndrome posted:

Some neurologists think that this is the most painful condition in neurology.
:gonk:

• Locked thread