Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

fatherdog posted:

Willie "Capulet" Gates just ruined a Montague

I didn't watch the fight because I forgot it was on but this makes me happy because WIllie Gates looked really good against John Moraga a few months ago. Flyweight is getting a decent crop of guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
that.... was sweet

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Tyree posted:

Id like to see wonderboy rematch brown.

this is the second time posted in this thread and I'm not sure why. Matt Brown would hurt Thompson really badly this time I feel. Stephen Thompson is cool but Matt Brown is impervious to pain and then he murders people with offense. You either need to wrestle him down to control the demon or fight a really dangerously close fight like the one he had against Robbie, who showed last night in the Rory fight that he's even crazier than Matt Brown when it comes to being fueled by pain.

tl;dr: Stephen Thompson is cool and if you want a sweet meaningful matchup you do him vs Magny for "new legit welterweight of 2015." That's what I think. Let the freak pain demons Robbie/Brown/Condit fight it out for the belt for a few years.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Matt Brown sounds pretty soft spoken in that interview right there. Mostly because he had a tough fight, but also because he hadn't gone on his 7 fight winning streak yet + gone toe-to-toe with the future champion which is why he's confident as hell right now. Stephen Thompson has gain some confidence too and I'm not saying it would be a bad rematch but Matt Brown imo turned poo poo on in that Mike Pyle fight. That's when he genuinely realized "i'm one of the best in the division" when beforehand he was still trying to prove it to everybody, including himself. Now we all know.

if Magny beats Maia in a few weeks I still think that's the fight to do. Magny vs Thompson, Maia vs Ellenberger, Condit vs Brown where's my money UFC

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

vainman posted:

Mir looks like garbage

he did pass his drug tests so

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

this card is gonna be pretty good. watch it.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

SquirrelGrip posted:

yo so i missed holm/fergie/francisco due to *work*

do i go back and watch

The Holly Holm fight was much better than her first UFC bout but frustrating because she was landing good shots, she just never followed up on any of them. Watch the last ~20 seconds and you'll see what she should have been doing from the start. I think Holm is going to be one of the more "legit" challengers for Ronda after she wins her next fight.

Ferguson vs Thomson was great, one of the best fights this week. A lot of varied striking and submission attempts.

Mir vs Duffee was hilarious and short so yes. Also Frank Mir is going to get fatter and work his way to another title shot, it's destiny.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

i made it just in time to see Ilir smash someone. cool

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

this fight is cool

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

boo. Paddy should win anyways but he had Vaughan in trouble.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Smolka vs Holohan would be some cool poo poo to watch.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

fatherdog posted:

Bisping is the definition of gatekeeper. He loses every fight where the winner is going to get a title shot, but wins just about every other fight.

that's what makes the Leites fight so interesting since if Thales does win I think that puts him in there with either Yoel or Jacare for the next, next guy to fight for the belt. All three of those guys will have like 6 fight win streaks under UFC so they're all deserving. But nobody has been talking about that so Bisping might get the win over him despite it being scientifically impossible.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

manyak posted:

When everyone here was talking about liking Jojo a while ago i assumed they meant the champ, i didnt know there was another Joanna in this division that everyone likes, except apparenmtly this one kinda sucks?

same

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Joe Duffy is cool. Didn't expect a sub though. He's pretty talented.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

that was insane

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

oh, now ross decides to defend the takedown

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

well this fight got really lovely after the first round

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

fatherdog posted:

Honestly not sure who's gonna take that round. Almost nothing happened till the end. Probably Leites for ending the round on top?

that was my thinking. Leites landed a few good leg kicks, Bisping had a few good counters. Both were on top for about an equal amount of time.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

I personally have Leites up 3-0 but I wouldn't be surprised if the judges have it 2-1 for Bisping going into the 4th.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

fatherdog posted:

Most of these rounds had so little of consequence actually happen in them that who the judges give it to is kind of a crapshoot

Yep. I still thought Thales won the fight but I won't be shocked at all if Bisping gets the nod.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Saw that coming. lol

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Lloyd Boner posted:

Leites deserved to get robbed imo

I wouldn't go that far. He fought pretty well and was gunning for the finish at least twice. His main problem was giving Bisping too much respect and shaking his head too many times which probably swayed the judges opinions. Half the time he shook his head cause Bisping landed a shot, and half the time he shook it because Bisping whiffed a strike. When you do it so much they all look like they hit.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Le Saboteur posted:

So how good is Titan FC? Like does the UFC pick up dudes from them often?

actually it's kind of the other way around, Titan FC usually picks up ex-UFC guys. On tonight's card Pat Healy, Tim Elliot, Isaac Vallie-Flagg, and that Santos guy all fought in UFC last year. Mike Ricci was also supposed to be on the card.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

that knockout was one of the coolest things to happen all week

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Tim Elliot is a little too goofy for his own good, but I don't think UFC should have cut him.

• Locked thread