Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

quote:

Revival is the rebirth of the player-driven, sandbox, fantasy role-playing world. Player agency, world persistence, and absolutely zero compromises are the cornerstones of our quest for a living, persistent, dark fantasy role-playing world. Revival is much more than a game. It is, in fact, an ongoing drama where each and every player has an opportunity to enjoy a starring role. Revival is our effort to revive the promise of the virtual world, and bring back a truly open-world sandbox role-playing experience.

Features
Skill Based Combat | Take advantage of your natural talents in Revival’s action-based combat system, using mechanics that depend on player skill more than statistical superiority.
Natural Skill Development | Intuitive character skill development where practice really does mean perfect.
Living World | Immerse yourself in an ever-changing world of adventure, where each character has a life, a purpose, and an impact.
Live Storytelling | Do your part to make history playing hand-in-hand with Revival’s unprecedented Live Storytelling Team.
Real Economics | Do you have what it takes to corner the market and become a merchant prince of Theleston?
Active Crafting | Tired of the “to-do” list that stands as crafting in most MMO? Enjoy our immersive crafting system where player skill has to be developed to reach mastery.

Also features graphic sex and serial killing options.

quote:

Those of you with sex on the brain may find the latest Revival dev post enlightening. Before we get to the bumping and grinding, though, it’s important to remember that Illfonic is building a virtual world.

“We are not a theme park game. This is a living world that moves on without you,” the devs explain. “This also means we want total and complete immersion. You won’t see ultra hot tiny women with white teeth, perfect hair, and skimpy armor running around fighting evil creatures. This isn’t realistic in the world of Revival. This is a medieval time period. It is dirty, it is gross, and the people are gross within it.”

So gross, in fact, that things like “taking a poo poo, pissing, having sex, slavery, serial killing abilities, and more” will be in-game activities. Illfonic says that you can have “graphic sex” in Revival, and characters with healthy sex lives will have “strong perk bonuses.” As for the deed itself, it’s a cooperative minigame with appropriate animations that continues as long as both parties can “maintain.”

Q&A

quote:

Q: Is Revival Free To Play or Subscription Based?

A: The simple answer is both. (A common refrain here is “the designer answer is both” as you will no doubt see.) The majority of servers of Revival will be Free to Play. However, every region will have at least one “Gold Server” that requires a subscription. (more on this later) While early stages of development require purchasing something to get access to our content, Revival is built to be fun for players, whether they spend money or not.

Q: Is combat real time/physics based?

A: Mostly. Revival uses a mixture of both real-time combat and prediction based movements to ensure latency can be dealt with across most scenarios easily. Essentially, to make sure that massive amounts of players can play the game in the vicinity of each other, we have to blend the zero-latency first person combat you see in single player games with a slightly more predictive model of combat. In most cases, however, you won’t feel the difference and even in the worst cases, We ensure that Revival is primarily a player-skill based combat experience.

Q: What does a Sandbox RPG Mean?

A: In a nutshell, the term Sandbox RPG means it is a game set in a the world that is yours to explore and interact with as you wish. Things like gating mechanics (“You don’t have the ‘Open red doors’ skill yet!”) and forced linear progression don’t really exist in sandbox RPGs since they get in the way of that “do what you want” idea. A sandbox game is non-linear and allows free exploration in all directions, while the RPG aspect of the game means you have some amount of character growth and development that will occur as you play.

Q: What is a living world game then?

A: If the Sandbox portion of the game is what lets you explore as you will and interact with the world as you please, the living world aspect of the game is what makes that compelling. The technologies behind our living world system give NPCs their own lives, desires and modes of interacting by supplying them with sophisticated AI which allows them to sleep, eat, work or socialize as their own internal motivations dictate, just like players. It is likewise the element of the game that makes trees grow over time, cities shrink and grow and commerce wax and wane as markets fluctuate. The goal of the living world systems in Revival is to ensure that even if you’re the only player on the server for some reason, you will find yourself in the middle of a believable, immersive and bustling world filled with interesting people doing interesting things.

Q: When will Revival be finished?

A: Revival is never done. Our release schedule releases the game in chunks. The first glimpse of what Revival will truly be like is in Version 6, when we open the first main continent in the game.

Q: Are there any set dates for the versions?

A: Our development timeline is loose and since we are doing new and innovative stuff, we don’t have concrete dates on our features. Because Revival is such an ambitious title, it takes time to make sure things are right. We hope to be at Version 6 in 2017.

Q: Is everything super violent and dark in Revival?

A: The simple answer is no. While the theme of Revival is to encompass and create a brutal world where life is harsh, we embrace the beauties of nature. Seasons, beautiful vistas, and carefully managed color are not enemies of the world of Revival. In fact, beauty is often associated with that which is terrible. Likewise, while violence and death are real possibilities in the world, they aren’t guaranteed to be lurking around ever dark corner the world has to offer: we want you to feel that you’re not always going to be killed… so when you are slain, its keenly felt!

Q: How far does player customization go?

A: One of the most important things in Revival is the story and fiction. We have a precept called the Rule of World that basically says: Nothing goes into Revival which might jeopardize your sense immersion. Because of this, player customization is constrained by certain guidelines to keep things consistent with the world but the system still has a lot of freedom and thousands of possibilities to explore. Additionally, players will be able to decorate a lot of their own objects to very high levels of detail and uniquity. However, this is guided within constraints: we want to avoid people placing houses in the middle of fields, creating giant dick butt montages out of small objects in their front yards, and other things that can quickly spoil the sense of a real, vibrant world with its own history and rules. In essence, we want to give you the tools to encourage customization that won’t break the game’s fiction.

Q: What is a Gold Server?

A: Gold servers are Revival in its best possible form: They feature Live Storytelling 24/7, with a crew of game masters and storytellers working around the clock to add new content to the server that responds directly to player actions and to orchestrate large unique events for subscribers to participate in. the free to play base of Revival is the sandbox MMORPG we’ve all been waiting for, and Revival’s Gold Servers are the live-DM’d campaign version played out on top of them.

Q: What is Live Storytelling exactly?

A: Have you ever played a tabletop role playing game? If you have, then when we say “Live Storytelling is something like a DM’d experience” you will probably understand what we’re suggesting, but for those of you who haven’t had the fortune to experience a well DM’d experience, let us explain: Imagine if your MMO’s story was tailored to the players on your server, specifically. Imagine if, every moment the server was online, there was a team of designers, actors and game masters working together to deliver content that was purpose built to respond to your actions and your characters. This is Live Storytelling, our cornerstone feature of the Gold Server service. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, just such a team will be watching every server, possessing NPCs to interact directly with players, building new quests and adventures to react to what players have done and orchestrating events on a scale never before seen in an MMO.

Q: Why is Live Storytelling restricted to Gold Servers?

A: The time and effort of doing Live Storytelling is intense and, sadly, expensive. Because of this, it is left as a premium feature of the game. However, players who choose to not play on a Live Storytelling server will still be able to have an amazing time with Revivals core game mechanics, including its amazing sandbox and lush living world mechanics.

Q: What does purchasing a house get me?

A: In addition, of course, to the house itself, purchasing real estate brings with it numerous benefits: Players who own real estate in a city are considered a citizen of that city, allowing them to participate in city politics, trade in the local commodity market without tariff or penalty, join trade guilds and other city-based organizations and, of course, enjoy the full protection of the city’s guard. These in-game benefits will come online at various stages in our release schedule, but they are not the only benefits a homeowner has, they are coupled with some “meta-benefits” as well. Home owners will have access to the game from its first proof of concept release on, being the very first to access the game.

About the developer

Interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVRwN93XLT0

quote:

IllFonic, LLC is a video game studio based in Denver, Colorado that specializes in Next-Gen game development. Started in 2007, IllFonic grew from a small team working in a garage into a fully staffed triple A studio. In 2012, IllFonic released Nexuiz on PC and Xbox 360. Since then, IllFonic has worked on various projects across multiple platforms, some unannounced, some released and some [Redacted] (Star Citizen FPS).

Throughout the years, IllFonic has continued to push the envelope with each project the studio takes on. However, we’ve often felt that something was missing from the realm of computer gaming.

This something has grown to become the idea behind Revival. An online role-playing experience like nothing ever done before. Revival is an unprecedented game that can only be done by an unconventional team like the one at Illfonic. It reflects our style, speaks our language and is true to our IllFonic methodology

:siren:Go buy a house before a prototype is complete/playable:siren:
https://www.revivalgame.com/store/housing

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
What.

I mean I've anyways wanted to be a sex addicted serial killer in a mmo, much tidier than IRL.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
game is weird

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Alexander DeLarge posted:

:siren:Go buy a house before a prototype is complete/playable:siren:
https://www.revivalgame.com/store/housing

I refuse to believe anyone has done this. This is pretty brazen, at least Star Citizen had people pay for fake space ships they could dream about and get into heated internet arguments about what ship is gonna beat what. Ain't no one getting in internet arguments about what neighborhood to buy into.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Sorry we hosed up that raid my character just had to take a poo poo during the last boss and the poo poo pants debuff ruined it but I'm ready to try again so lets have a quickie before the next fight.

quote:

Q: When will Revival be finished?

A: Revival is never done.

Only believable part here.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
does the sex minigame support BDSM futa grandma fetishes?

asking for a friend

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What is this nonsense?

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
oh wow loving people for buffs it's just like my magical elder scrolls sex mods! already bought 2 estates!!

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
We should partner up now so it saves organising on release. Everyone pick a fuckbuddy

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
:nexus: modders are making an mmo.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I'm disappointed in the team that made one of the most fun OS quake/UT clones known as Nexuiz. Wait unless these guys are the people who made the bad remake of Nexuiz that wasn't open source in which case gently caress these jabronis.

Ah yes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nexuiz_%282012_video_game%29
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nexuiz

This is indeed made those same jerks which explains a whole lot.

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
How can this be Lovecraftian?There is no sex in Lovecraft, except implied with your wife who is also her own grandpa and when yog sothoth comes to town he really comes to town.Either way you ain't walking or breathing again afterwards.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i saw 'mature' in the topic title and was going to make a joke about in MMOs how that always means they want to include explicit sex, but it turns out the devs beat me to it by implementing it

bravo i guess

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I don't think they thought through what would happen when a whale (big money player) discovers their expensive house can be destroyed during a world event.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Ground Floor

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
But can you poo poo and sex at the same time?

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
This sounds cooler than Hellmoo.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

At least these developers have the balls to do poo poo like this with their kickstarter. It's gonna be awful, but the attempt is going to be great.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Alright guys, tonight we're facing the orgy boss in the Mannerfield Estate. Did everyone use their enemas before we started? It'll make it a bit harder if you didn't. Remember to only gently caress the succubi, we need to drain their power, but I don't think anyone will complain if people end up sharing the love ;) ;)

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
how do I get rid of the syphilis debuff the game says to use leeches but it's not helping.

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
I just want good crafting with individualized outputs and randomized resource/subassembly effectiveness.

But no, gotta add in all the cthuloid public pissing mangle-faced serial killing, making GBS threads dick-nipple-waving medieval grandma rape simulation-ball room dancing systems.

I just want to craft.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
I can't believe this thing is still around. I remember reading about it in some random post on a forum awhile back.

At the time I don't believe they had the "sex and poo poo" features to appeal to the unwashed masses. Instead it was just a bunch of crap about being the first true gritty lovecraftian MMO with permadeath or something.

Even then though the whole thing was just a bunch of theory crafting that let you buy houses in advance.

Baller Time posted:

But can you poo poo and sex at the same time?

gently caress that. What I want to know is whether or not I can sex up the poo poo. Priorities, people! :colbert:

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
drat im crazy immature, i dont think i should be looking at this...

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

quote:

So gross, in fact, that things like “taking a poo poo, pissing, having sex, slavery, serial killing abilities, and more” will be in-game activities. Illfonic says that you can have “graphic sex” in Revival, and characters with healthy sex lives will have “strong perk bonuses.” As for the deed itself, it’s a cooperative minigame with appropriate animations that continues as long as both parties can “maintain.”
loving incredible

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It's like the team behind a Neverwinter Nights social server got delusions of grandeur and the money for an MMO(?). This game will be awful if it ever even gets made.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
oh i assure you they have no money for this

Das Gray
Jun 26, 2015

Wishes life was in Everquest classic graphics.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah this one gets to sounding a little more ridiculous each update. Will I be able to break into a house and offer them the options of A) bend over and grab their ankles and let me make sex by them or B) steal their poo poo? I get shivers thinking how creepy this game could get.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
Why couldn't I have though of a scam like this.

1 part "hardcore" + 1 part lovecraft + 1 part real money exchange = sucking money out of lonely spurglords.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
Somewhere, a Skyrim modder pauses from designing making GBS threads dicknipples and sniffs uncertainly at the air.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im glad of this

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
Oh wait, these are the Star Citizen FPS guys. Guess they're putting that toilet tech to good use.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
Does it have Roguelike elements or Dwarf Fortress inspired procedural generation?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Star Citizen thread brought me here.

Not sure which game is never happening more first.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Oh wait, these are the Star Citizen FPS guys.
oh my god you're not kidding

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

“IllFonic, LLC is a video game studio based in Denver, Colorado that specializes in Next-Gen game development. “

Well, thanks for warning me about who to avoid when I'm applying for jobs next year.

Wait, I almost forgot! I guess you could say these guys are giving new meaning to the term "hardcore MMO" :v:

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 13, 2015

The Marauder
Dec 1, 2013

Why walk out when you can outrun?

Doctor Schnabel posted:

oh my god you're not kidding

The invasion has begun and the game isn't even out yet.

Seriously though I'm not sure what to think of this. I get that they are selling virtual houses, but it seems like there are going to be many servers. How the gently caress is that going to work? What if both I and some other nerd purchase #69 Harlot Ave? Or does this mean you own that pixel space ship house on every server?

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer
Excellent. Another thread to follow!
I'm like a kid in a candy store with all these awesome games being made. Can't wait to see what those excellent coders at Illfonic do with this!

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I sincerely hope Star Citizen money is funding this game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Marauder posted:

The invasion has begun and the game isn't even out yet.

Seriously though I'm not sure what to think of this. I get that they are selling virtual houses, but it seems like there are going to be many servers. How the gently caress is that going to work? What if both I and some other nerd purchase #69 Harlot Ave? Or does this mean you own that pixel space ship house on every server?

this is one of those questions that gets sorted out after they have your money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
what the hell is this lol

• Locked thread