Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It's friday, and that means it's time for another installment of dev fanfiction theater! :woop:

Today a guy plays with some lady's nob. She really likes it.

https://www.revivalgame.com/forum#/discussion/790/weekly-blog-update-42-a-day-in-the-life-of-a-weaponsmith

quote:

Ty wakes to the kvetch of seagulls bickering over scrap bait outside his wharf-front shop. After a quick prayer to Dehnno he moves from his bedroom to the storefront of his small Tide’s End house. Ty has a forge in the upgradeable room at the back of the house, and on any given day he may be in there hammering away at arrowheads, spearpoints, and common daggers or cooking implements as these are always in demand by player and NPC alike. They are, however, not very challenging, and it is rare that Ty can actually improve or learn new skills making these sundries day after day. Still, predictable wages are a comfort, so Ty spends a bit of time each week making a stock of one or another of these, but today there is really no need. So instead he can focus on a personal project.

Having purchased the recipe for a Valiri Court Dagger a month previous, Ty has been slowly but surely assembling the parts necessary to put it together. Each piece has been a challenge, and has cost a small fortune in materials, but he’s cast the pommel and handle already, so, once he’s got the hilt done, all that will be left is to locate a billet of Verdant Steel out of Valir, and save the month’s wages it will take to purchase it for the blade. Then comes the small matter of forging the blade itself, but that’s a worry for a different time. For now, his project is a swept hilt, preferably made from something a little more luxurious than common steel, though not as rare as Valiri Verdant.

Ty leaves his forge to make his way to the market, where he has no issue finding a few billets of fine metal for his project, and coal for his forge. Once he has returned, Ty fills his coal skip, pops open his journal and activates his weaponsmithing skill revealing a list of all of the recipes that he knows that use his forge, and that he’s got the knowledge, tools, and materials to make. Had he everything at the ready to make the whole dagger, Ty could select the recipe from his journal and step through every necessary step, in order, from pommel to handle, hilt and blade, making substitution choices where indicated, and where his on-hand parts allowed. Today, though, Ty selects the menu showing only hilts from his journal, chooses a swept hilt compatible with the dagger he intends to make, and the game of forging begins.

Ty heats the billet in the forge, and when it has reached cherry-red, moves it to his anvil, where he hammers each indicated spot, and when the form has cooled, it goes back into the fire. Curves are hammered and turned around the guides, and as Ty is a good smith, he has minimal failures, and creates a fine swept hilt.

When he has finished, Ty locks the hilt away in a chest in his storefront, just in time to greet his colleague, a swordswoman named Alexandra as she enters his shop. Alexandra has brought him a pommel, purported to be found outside Falcreek while chasing a legend with her adventuring companions. It is inscribed with a pattern of overlapping leaves and thorny vines that cover the whole of its brassy surface. Alexandra favors longswords, and would like a decent sword made to fit the pommel. Ty checks his recipes for longswords and, as it turns out, he needs only to forge the blade and handle, if he uses the swept hilt that he made earlier. He asks Alex if the additional cost of the finer hilt will bother her, and as she is just returned from a successful (and well-paid) job, she agrees to pay the higher cost.

Ty tells her that he will make it immediately if she would care to wait. Alexandra says OK, and Ty asks if she’d like to wait with him in the forge where they can chat, as he’s keen to hear the story behind the pommel. The next few minutes see Ty skipping the pommel creation step by choosing to substitute the artifact pommel that Alexandra brought to him, preparing a common wire wrapped handle, skipping the hilt creation step by choosing to substitute his swept hilt, then forging a blade by heating a billet of fine steel and hammering into the blade’s shape. All the while Alexandra relates her story, and Ty learns that the pommel came from a hoard recovered from a wild cult of Demma. He wonders what properties it will confer on the blade as he completes the final step, assembly.

The inclusion of an artifact pommel, and a custom hilt mean that this longsword is a variant of the recipe in his journal, and as it is the first time that Ty has completed the recipe, he now may name the variant as he pleases, or leave it simply “Longsword (variant).” Being one with a flourish for personalization, Ty chooses to name this blade ‘Woods Walker’ after the adventure that Alexandra told him about while he worked the forge.

The warrior is pleased with her new blade, and tips Ty well. Ty, on the other hand, warns Alexandra that an artifact like the pommel almost certainly conferred some unseen properties to the weapon, so it would be wise to have it studied by one with skill in symbology to find out. Likewise, had Alex had the pommel looked over before coming to see Ty, she could have also had an idea ahead of time. If she’d had the skill, there’s no reason that Alex herself couldn’t have identified it, but such academics are beneath her notice, so she’ll take her chances. Ty wishes her well as she goes.

With the extra cash he just earned Ty will easily be able to replace the swept hilt he just sold, and if perchance some of that rare Verdant steel rolls into town he’ll be able to snap that up as well. If, however, he doesn’t see any soon, Ty resolves to book passage to Valir himself, and find a smith willing to share or rent forge time to him until he can locate some sweet verdant steel and complete his court-dagger. He’s been thinking about the name for a month or so now, but he’ll wait until he’s finished to choose one.

After all, it’s the blade that chooses its final name, not the smith.
No word yet on how many thousands of times you get to fold your hanzo steel.

Today's blog also came with some concept art and another screenshot. What a time to be alive.

Can you feel the hype???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I liked the last dev diary because they unironically said the woman is really good at cooking, every type of cooking imaginable, except for grilling because that's what guys do. :laffo:

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I just did a survey and got paid $50 so I'm gonna buy a house. Wish me luck lads.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I just did a survey and got paid $50 so I'm gonna buy a house. Wish me luck lads.

The internet giveth, and the internet taketh away. :dawkins101:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

LOL. If you're serious spring for a cottage, not just a tenement. With a cottage you get a scrap of yard outside. If you get one of the cottages outside the city you even get a bit of farmland, and they don't even cost more than the ones inside the city. The Ghoratul gold server still has 5 of the $80 farm cottages left.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Or don't waste money on this poo poo pie in the sky game, mail it to me and I'll spend it on beer and pad thai.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Same but Thai curry

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I pressed F to use the lightswitch but instead I feel I am the one being used. Such is the life of Temporary Character.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

An interesting tidbit came up today. Since Revival is using UE4, and UE4 has native VR support, you can use an Oculus Rift in Revival. Piss and poo poo in virtual reality. https://www.revivalgame.com/forum#/discussion/797/revival-already-partially-works-with-virtual-reality

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
just like real reality. im incontinent.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
I'm not totally sure what their long term plans around for recruiting new people who don't throw money on buying a house once all the houses are bought up. Seeing this is something that most people are going to want long term are they just going to open more servers and segment their small population even more?

I think the answer is, this game is never coming out and they going release something so half-rear end no one will play.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Tormented posted:

I'm not totally sure what their long term plans around for recruiting new people who don't throw money on buying a house once all the houses are bought up. Seeing this is something that most people are going to want long term are they just going to open more servers and segment their small population even more?

I think the answer is, this game is never coming out and they going release something so half-rear end no one will play.

Given that they, an FPS company, had serious difficulties releasing an FPS using Cryengine, it'd take a miracle for this to be a real thing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Angela Christine posted:

It's friday, and that means it's time for another installment of dev fanfiction theater! :woop:

Today a guy plays with some lady's nob. She really likes it.

https://www.revivalgame.com/forum#/discussion/790/weekly-blog-update-42-a-day-in-the-life-of-a-weaponsmith

No word yet on how many thousands of times you get to fold your hanzo steel.

Today's blog also came with some concept art and another screenshot. What a time to be alive.

Can you feel the hype???

God drat this poo poo is loving ridiculous :munch:

They'd have a hell of a time just implementing these smithing features alone. A game where you go to market, buy materials, come home, manually fold your steel and hammer it and custom craft many different types of gear. (I think there's a full game already like that, actually)

But this is just one crafting system within a giant MMO!

Das Gray
Jun 26, 2015

Wishes life was in Everquest classic graphics.
Lipstick Apathy
I saw one dude refer to this game as God the other day. Deuche cringes.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Hype is a hell of a drug.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tormented posted:

You don't need a house to play the game. They say that they expect most players won't own houses. Owning a house gives you citizenship in that city, allows you to participate in neighbourhood politics, and gives you a set place to sleep and store your stuff. It's a bonus, not a requirement.

The only thing you NEED a house for is to have a guild. In order to charter a guild you need to designate a house to be the official headquarters. I don't think it needs to be any particular style of house though, so a $40 tenement should work. If the game ever exists and goons want an official guild with an in-game guild chat channel some goon will have to lay out $40+. Or we could just go without the official stamp of approval and use our own out of game IRC channel or something.

If people want more houses they won't need to add more servers though. Crown's Rock is described as a small town that comes with 500 player homes. Once the game exists they plan to soon open more cities, and each new city has more houses for sale. There are already dumb shits begging to be allowed to buy houses in other cities that don't even have concept art yet. https://www.revivalgame.com/forum#/...-looking-for/p1 This is the world we live in now.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Bieeardo posted:

Hype is a hell of a drug.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me three or more times shame on you.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Given that they, an FPS company, had serious difficulties releasing an FPS using Cryengine, it'd take a miracle for this to be a real thing.

In all fairness, Star Citizen's CryEngine was using new technology developed specifically for Star Citizen (artificial gravity that can change dynamically).

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
https://www.revivalgame.com/blog/44-weekly-blog-update-43-city-building

In cities, every building is enterable and every item in those buildings has a function. Also, ships that you can sail, bigger ships require a crew.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

In cities, every building is enterable and every item in those buildings has a function. Also, ships that you can sail, bigger ships require a crew.

Disappointing lack of fanfiction in this week's update. :mediocre:

Orv
May 4, 2011

In all fairness, Star Citizen's CryEngine was using new technology developed specifically for Star Citizen (artificial gravity that can change dynamically).

In all fairness, CryEngine is actually a terrible multiplayer engine, but I'm sure they have their own fuckups to account for.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Orv posted:

In all fairness, CryEngine is actually a terrible multiplayer engine, but I'm sure they have their own fuckups to account for.

Wow, how did that happen? DId Crytek bank on singleplayer or did something go wrong? Genuinely curious here, I thought it was a given that an FPS engine developer would at least pay attention to multiplayer

Orv
May 4, 2011
I guess that's being super reductive, to be honest. As with all third party solutions you're going to have a way better time if you figure things out for yourself, but in CryEngine's specific case the way it's built and functions, very specifically around the physics stuff, is real bad for multiplayer. It's why Crysis 1 and 2 MP was just a bog standard shooter and not the new Half-Life Deathmatch with physics guns and stuff. It's why Star Citizen is having to go "Oh hey, we uh, need to build a new system for CryEngine that'll let us handle all this crazy bullshit we promised you guys, but actually makes CryEngine poo poo itself if we try to do it out of the box, woops". That's not to say the Star Citizen people don't have the necessary chops to get around that stuff, but it's been a real concern for all the physics interactions SC wants to undertake all the way back when they said "We're using CryEngine for our physics driven space game" in the Kickstarter.

E: Again being reductive, but CryEngine was basically the second coming of the Source engine. They built it for physics and to look really goddamn nice, but the moment you put dynamic physics in any multiplayer system, regardless of engine, it gets extremely expensive very quickly.

Orv fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 5, 2015

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Excellent, more opportunities to stumble upon private erotic roleplaying while trying to find a vendor.

Orv
May 4, 2011
"Private".

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Do you go mad if you have sex with urban folk?

Because if not then it's not very lovecraftian imo

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Orv posted:

That's interesting about cryengine. Any dirty laundry about Unreal Engine 4?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
They are literally just copying star citizen to get money from people in exchange for dreams and pictures of things.

They worked on star citizen and learned from the master and now they're doing it on their own.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

hakimashou posted:

They are literally just copying star citizen to get money from people in exchange for dreams and pictures of things.

They worked on star citizen and learned from the master and now they're doing it on their own.

Yeah but does Star Citizen have poop tits
:pervert:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

hakimashou posted:

So is Shroud of the Avatar. That's how games work now.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Games without games. Just give us money and then imagine the game you would like to be playing. Post-modern gaming?

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Angela Christine posted:

Games without games. Just give us money and then imagine the game you would like to be playing. Post-modern gaming?

:perfect:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Week after week of devblog fanfiction probably has you wondering 'when do I get to write poo poo gently caress fan fiction?' Don't worry, Revival has a thread for you (unless you are Putty): https://www.revivalgame.com/forum#/discussion/500/poems-limericks-and-bawdy-song Yes, they are asking 'players' to contribute poems, limericks and bawdy song for possible inclusion in the game.

The offerings so far are . . . well, I'll let you be the judge.

quote:

There's a girl you should meet out in Leeside
She loves to show off her backside
Though stricken with pox
She'll knock off your socks
And leave you with change for the seaside

quote:

There once was a man from Skypass
Who could not take his eyes off of my rear end
His "leg" was so stiff
He fell off a cliff
And slid his way home through the dry grass.

quote:

She danced and swayed through shadowed lights
Her movements were depraved and twisted rights
We were lost in the pendulum movements of her -eyes
Each shoulder was bared, each kiss precise
Flesh clothed in darkness from primal nights
We were urged by mad lusts to crave her -guise
She smiled and crawled neath our hungry gaze
As one we groaned and sought her touch
In dreams we’d craved to feel as much
As when her moans became our highest praise
And when she lingered besides us to appraise
Not one stepped back to escape her clutch
We all sought only to feel sensations such
As when her talons began our -thighs to graze
The one she chose when she claimed her prize
We’ve envied since, we remember his cries
The one she takes with her never dies
Though in our visions..
Oh how he tries..

quote:

One witch on a starless night,
With a brain not so bright.

Decided to enter an abandoned house to take a bath,
Unaware of her ill-begotten path.

In she goes sneaking through the window,
Sliding in like a shadow.

She puts her black hat on a chair,
And lets loose her silky long hair.

Gently she removes her heels,
And sighs at how she feels.

She loosens her belt and shakes her hips,
giggling as her little skirt slips.

Swiftly she removes her shirt,
Dropping it right next to her skirt.

Craftily she removes her corset,
Liberating a glorious set.

Steadily, one leg, then the other,
She removes her panties with no bother.

She looks at the empty bath cold as ice,
Draws a circle with her fingers, twice.

Out of the circle hot water pours in a stream,
The bathroom now filled with steam.

She jumps in the tub with childish giggling,
Quickly to realize something is missing.

After all a bath is what she wanted,
and a soap she will be granted.

She chanted with a voice so clear,
And indeed a bar of rosy soap did appear!

Nothing was more lucky than this soapy soap,
Gently caressing every part of her figure,
Now now, dear reader, do not lose hope,
For one day you will experience this pleasure.
^^^This one has about 300 more stanzas. Ugh.

quote:

Old man Percy has a farm near the crypts
He tills his land at strange hours
Under the moonlight when no one suspects
He turns blood and bones into flowers

He gives them to ladies who've lost their first love
As they mourn and lament at the graveside
The freshly turned soil is so easy to dig
The evidence so easy to hide

So if you find the critics on SA to harsh for your poetic soul, you could try contributing to this exciting imaginary game. I bet Croberts never tried that!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Angela Christine posted:

No idea, the new UT runs fine when everyone has a decent ping but there's not much to it so it's hard to say. It doesn't suffer from texture pop-in at least? :v:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Is this the time travel module for Star Citizen

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Flesh Forge posted:

Is this the time travel module for Star Citizen

It's the future of Star Citizen. Cthulu and crew are space aliens who smacked humanity back to the iron age. One day someone is going to be exploring a spooky cave and wander into the dilapidated social module disco.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
sounds great is there a cap on how much you're allowed to buy in for up front because i have the brain aids settlement check in front of me and this souinds pretty good

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

sounds great is there a cap on how much you're allowed to buy in for up front because i have the brain aids settlement check in front of me and this souinds pretty good

Buy the most expensive home you can to act as Goon guild house and sign it over to me in your will in case you die from the brain aids. I will carry your intended legacy forward when building up the BDSM playrooms.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Angela Christine posted:

The way their graphics engine is built could mean it'll be impossible to use asynchronous shaders correctly, which is a thing that's coming with DX12, and is something console developers are starting to use on xbone/ps4 to gain nearly 30% fps over classic implementations (on lovely old console hardware, no less). The jury is still out on that, but it will be funny if it ends up being true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy

BDSM playrooms.

What is your policy on mandatory sex buffs?

• Locked thread