Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

For all of those missing Mad Men, Masters of Sex offers a glossy period drama for your Sunday nights.

A quick recap from last season (spoilers ahead, if you're not caught up with the show):

Bill Masters - When we last left the show, Masters had turned his back on TV fame and kinda screwed over Virginia. In the past season he's built up his practice and started to develop bold new treatments for sexual dysfunction.
Virginia Johnson - The end of season 2 saw her lose custody of her children and her personal life has been a complete train wreck.
Libby Masters - Revealed that she's known all along about the Masters/Johnson affair, and had a stupid storyline with her maid. However, this ended with her sleeping with a black guy, the fallout of which should be interesting.
Betty DiMello - Spent season 2 being awesome, and was upgraded to regular. I'm hoping she'll be reunited with her girlfriend, Sarah Silverman.
Barton Scully -Wasn't around much after attempting suicide due to his sexuality. However, the promo shots show him with the main cast members, so we may get more of a resolution to his story.

The show has taken us from the uptight 50s through to the more liberated 60s, and we are right on the cusp of the sexual revolution. There are a few season 3 trailers online showing that we'll be seeing the characters entering a brand new world.

So, come and get excited about MoS in this thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
You'd think that a show about sex scientists would have fewer deeply repressed people, but obviously not. This show's more Six Feet Under than Mad Men, IMO.

Like, Jesus, I can understand the logic behind not telling either of your wives (well, basically) that your step-daughter came on to you -- not that I'd condone that choice -- but when your other kid sees and gets the wrong idea, I think that choice has been made for you.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Yeah, I can see some Six Feet Under vibes. That episode was pretty messed up. It's no wonder they needed a disclaimer that the kids were fictional.

This thread is so empty! I know there are some MoS loving goons out there...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

So what the hell happened here? I recall last season's thread... not being completely dead. Does nobody watch it any more? Because the second episode was pretty good actually.

The first one... I was falling asleep and don't really remember anything about their kids. But apparently this poo poo's over - they just had to get it out of the way for some legal reasons (:iiam:)
http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/masters-sex-threes-crowd-221902

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

So what the hell happened here?

Who would have thought that two full episodes that were written mostly for legal purposes instead of actually telling an interesting story would be totally poo poo?

Hopefully the show gets back on its feet now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

The second one wasn't that bad at all, and I would've expected people to be actively bitching about it here, like with the TD thread :)

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
First couple episodes of any new season are going to be a bit shaky. They still managed to be pretty entertaining and interesting while laying the foundation for the rest of the season. I'm curious about this lawsuit and why they decided adding a couple of extra kids would be the solution. The only real life stuff I could find about Master's kids is that his son was arrested for exposing himself a couple of years ago.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I really miss the first season of this show. Last season was ok, but this season is kind of painful already. The giant time jump, and then big time jumps within episodes (with terrrrrible fade to black transitions, ugh), and it all seems disjointed and weird. Like every episode has been a completely different neat little plot and they aren't connected at all.

Very meh so far this season :(

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Really liked the premiere and thought it set up everyone nicely for new storylines.

And then we got a super-stock pregnancy storyline, that even had her deciding AT! THE! LAST! MOMENT! to stop the abortion to have the kid.

And a sham marriage with George, because why the hell not?

Very curious to know what crazy rear end hoops they had to jump through.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
I'm hoping that the next few episodes gloss over the fact that Virginia had a kid and got married - and that the baby is with George and we never have to hear about it again.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

courtney_beth posted:

I'm hoping that the next few episodes gloss over the fact that Virginia had a kid and got married - and that the baby is with George and we never have to hear about it again.

Looks like this turned out to be close enough, thankfully.Also, Virginia has a son old enough to serve in 'Nam??

And holy poo poo Tess :stare:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That monologue by the actress that ended with her ripping open her shirt was loving horrible.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
True. They already had the big power couple with the royals a couple of weeks back, so it felt a little repetitive.

It's good to have a bit of Lester, even if he did get back with Jane. Now we just need some actual Betty storylines, pleeeease!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I know in reality Masters was a terrible father and husband, but it'll be interesting if the show has him connect with the other kid like he's supposed to with his own son and realize how he needs to adapt his approach to his own kid. Masters "growth" as a human being has been pretty minimal in all things not his affair with Johnson and it'd be nice for some spark to take root in his mind about children and how to interact/raise them.

Also, this might be a spoiler, but I think the perfume guy is the man that Johnson was planning to marry in real life, and then Masters divorced his wife and married Johnson real quick to keep her around.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Maybe all these loving half-formed subplots will culminate in a climactic pie fight.

Edit: Oh god, I shouldn't post before I finish an episode. This gorilla thing is the dumbest thing this show's ever done. Can flashing the gorilla be the new jumping the shark?

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Aug 25, 2015

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
What the gently caress was that episode? Things I liked: Betty and Helen, the return of Austin without crazy blackmail sex.

Things that were dumb: gorilla flashing, Tessa and those eyebrows, Jane and the impotent gay guy, Libby heads towards another tiresome affair.

I'd hate to see this show cancelled before they get to tell the whole story, but with such bad viewing figures and critics starting to dislike the show, surely it can't last another season?

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Bill the Scientist was a metaphor for Gil the Gorilla. Thank you Showtime.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
The show was already renewed for another season , so hopefully they'll get better plots for next season.

Just happy that Teddy Sears is back - this week's episode will be great for sure!

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Thanks Masters of Sex for taking the time to explain what happened to Robert. I so gave a poo poo about that storyline. I feel like they're slowly turning Libby into a terrible character so that the audience will root for Bill and Gini.

Better episode this week though thanks to more Betty and sad, sleazy Austin.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Can we go back in time and cast Judy Greer as Libby?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

PostNouveau posted:

She really was great. Not sure even she could save most of the Libby plotlines though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ShakeZula posted:

She really was great. Not sure even she could save most of the Libby plotlines though.

Probably not the plots, but I'd settle for believable line delivery. Nobody really speaks like an actual human on this show, but it's especially pointed with whatever-her-name-is who plays Libby where every other line is like someone delivering a monologue in an acting class.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

netally posted:

Thanks Masters of Sex for taking the time to explain what happened to Robert. I so gave a poo poo about that storyline.

How'd he wind up in the same cemetery as the neighbor's wife? Not that I care but seems unlikely.

PostNouveau posted:

Best dinner conversation, love Judy's delivery.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Well, that was the season then. I enjoyed the last couple of episodes. The rest of it, not so much.

I'm glad it didn't end with a declaration of love at the airport or M&J deciding to elope. Leaves something to get excited about for next season.

Although if it were just the Betty and Barton show - all about the trials of being LGBT in the 60s - I'd be happy with that.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
That was a strangely underwhelming finale. Anyone who knows the real story of Masters and Johnson knows what's going to happen (and come on, it's obvious).

I always enjoy when Josh Charles shows up as ~*~Sensitive Love Interest~*~

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

tomapot posted:

Best dinner conversation, love Judy's delivery.

She was probably the best part of the entire season, which is a bit sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I finally watch the last half of the season, and I dunno, I thought it got progressively better over the season. I couldn't stand the giant time jumps and ginny's baby and sham marriage and all that, so once time moved at a reasonable pace and Betty was awesome some more things got better. I find the legal ramifications they're facing interesting and at least it's something new to keep the plot moving along and add suspense that isn't just another affair.

Also needs more Alison Janney, thought wtf was with her stupid weird polygamy plot thing goddamn

• Locked thread