Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
Add me to the list of people who had no idea he was this sick - or how much he'd accomplished before becoming Nintendo's president. His death is a genuine loss for everyone who grew up loving video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I can't imagine how the stress must have been affecting Iwata in the last few weeks. Just awful stuff.

The internet killed Iwata.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

http://i.imgur.com/SXxSRXj.jpg

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Time for Reggie to take his rightful place on the throne.

Announces merger with Yum! to distribute pizzas, marios, mountain dews, and taco bells to the willing masses.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You could tell Iwata loved his job and the company. He oversaw and pulled Nintendo out of its first slump in their history of making games.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Anime Curator posted:

I bet people still want Federation Force cancelled.

"A president has to take things really seriously, even if it doesn't seem like it. It's understandable if you lose weight from stress...but I get fatter instead. Nobody thinks I'm taking it seriously."

- Iwata talkin' to Samus over the phone.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Optimus Subprime posted:

Announces merger with Yum! to distribute pizzas, marios, mountain dews, and taco bells to the willing masses.

Worked for Activision.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

bog pixie
Feb 23, 2013

RIP

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBbRJoHTJAM

:gbsmith:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Not even Platinum could work out a troll about this.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
You know it's serious when even Kamiya is being a polite guy

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgk8YbNlALk

This for me was one of the main highlights of this year's E3 in the best way. Just so whimsical and weird and it's the freaking muppets how can you not like the muppets? This and the Nintendo World Championships 2015. I wonder how many games I played that Iwata worked on and I had no idea. I knew the first Smash Bros. was one.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I typed and deleted like a dozen different things I wanted to say here.

Rest in peace, Mr. Iwata.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Goku ‏@Goku 6m6 minutes ago
Just got word from King Kai. Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata has just passed through the Other World Check-In Station. #RIP

Carbolic Smokeball
Nov 2, 2011

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Goku ‏@Goku 6m6 minutes ago
Just got word from King Kai. Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata has just passed through the Other World Check-In Station. #RIP

Does this mean we can wish him back? :unsmith:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The mother series is bittersweet as poo poo.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Sad. Everyone, hug your family and friends and tell them you care.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I can't believe I was laughing at his puppet just a month ago. I had no idea he was in such bad health...

Cold Milk Bottle
Nov 19, 2012
Man, I was already heartbroken scrolling through Twitter and then I saw Kamiya's frowny face tweet and it gutted me. Iwata always felt like one of the more noble guys in the industry

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Geez I never thought I would be devastated by the loss of a CEO. :smith:

RIP Iwata-san.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I had no idea he had cancer, yikes. He definitely left a legacy that will be hard to follow.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Scyantific posted:

Geez I never thought I would be devastated by the loss of a CEO. :smith:

RIP Iwata-san.

Everyone always said not to worry if the day came that he was ever voted out at an investor's meeting or if they ever forced him to resign to save face; that like many of the higher positioned people in the games industry who have trouble befall them he'd get a golden parachute and get to live out the rest of his days in some giant mansion like a bunch of western industry higher ups have. He never even got to enjoy the notion of retirement though. He spent his entire career with his focus working for the company, for better or for worse.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
He should be the star of the next Luigi's Mansion.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
gently caress this gay direct earth

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

its nice to see my gif in the OP but im going to post it again

im very sad about this. iwata was super important to nintendo and HAL in a lot of ways and this is really unexpected. i hope his family is doing okay and i will miss seeing him in internet videos, he seemed very nice and cool

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Geoff Keighley just shared a story about Iwata on Twitter:

"I first met Satoru Iwata at TGS in 2005 when I interviewed him for G4. He spoke in Japanese and showed off the Nintendo Wii controller. So at the end of the interview, after the cameras were off, he turned to me and started speaking in English. 'Geoff, I really liked out interview. I can tell you are a gamer so I wanted to show you something.' He turned the controller sideways. He held it like an NES controller with D-pad and the A B buttons. He smiled, I think to hint at Virtual Console. I'll always remember that. I felt a great connection with him then, he wanted gamers to know that Nintendo would always think of us. He was such an honorable man."

EDIT: "His smile said so much. He was and is one of us. He loved game, and wanted to make the world a better place with them. And he did."

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Ugggh, whenever I think of how happy or whimsical Nintendo is, I think of Iwata. It really felt like he set the tone of that company. Even in the Directs, which are just commercials, I always ended up with a dumb smile on my face at some point. RIP.

I guess I should finally get farther than an hour into Earthbound.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Whizbang posted:

He should be the star of the next Luigi's Mansion.

He's taking luck to heaven now.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Satoru_Iwata

Here's a list of the games Iwata had a hand in throughout his career at HAL and Nintendo.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jiro posted:

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Satoru_Iwata

Here's a list of the games Iwata had a hand in throughout his career at HAL and Nintendo.
Balloon Fight isn't even on this list, what the gently caress.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Please rename Games to The Satoru Iwata Appreciation Station. Require all new threads to be about Balloon Fight. This will be a huge improvement. TIA.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Someone on /v/ of all places pointed out that the puppet show was probably a way to have Iwata without people seeing him as he dealt with loving terminal cancer

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Here's the list of games I'm playing today, cause who cares about what games he EPed

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dezinus posted:

I guess I should finally get farther than an hour into Earthbound.
Yeah. Use a guide if you need to, try to find a spoiler-free one. Earthbound can be a bit disorienting at times since it's not strictly stuck on a path some of the time, but it's absolutely a game I think everyone should finish. There's not been a whole lot like it. The overall bittersweet, somewhat melancholic tone to it, too, it's a beautiful game.

Giygas is hosed up though. Especially the backstory on the design for it.

Mad Fnorder
Apr 22, 2008
Programmer turned designer turned corporate visionary, and great at every role he took, with grace and a smile that seemed to say how much he loved his job. Even if he wasn't responsible for the careful crafting of little electronic packages designed to bring joy and wonder, not just fun, to people all over, I think he'd be missed. These are some huge shoes to fill, and 55 is too drat young. Thanks for everything, Iwata.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I always liked where Nintendo was because of him, he was polite, well meaning and generally just good spirited.
It served as a great contrast to all the other ugliness that gaming can be, I only hope that those aspects of him will be carried though Nintendo as it goes forward without him.

• Locked thread