Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brinty
Aug 4, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Someone on /v/ of all places pointed out that the puppet show was probably a way to have Iwata without people seeing him as he dealt with loving terminal cancer

It's been a thing people were pointing to right from the announcement that he wasn't going to be at E3 at all. His health had been pretty poor for the past year, people were already noticing how he'd lost so much weight etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

homeless snail posted:

Here's the list of games I'm playing today, cause who cares about what games he EPed

what about pokemon gold/silver

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Endorph posted:

what about pokemon gold/silver
I'm not playing those.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I can't really put forth anything that hasn't already been said, so I'll just summarize my mood in stock game art.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

TheKingofSprings posted:

Someone on /v/ of all places pointed out that the puppet show was probably a way to have Iwata without people seeing him as he dealt with loving terminal cancer

You know, that thought struck me too almost immediately after I heard the news...I had just rewatched that puppet video today, too :smith:

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Iwata was a genuinely good guy in an industry rife with genuinely lovely people.

Cancer can eat a bowl of dicks.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

gently caress.

...gently caress.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
First thing that came to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo-fXMxfN8E

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm not nearly as much of a video game player any more, but man this one was a shock. His work brought me a lot of entertainment.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Nah that's for Miyamoto. Oh God, :gonk:

Arctos
May 10, 2008
Rest in peace.

The next awesome games done quick marathon is going to be huge.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Remember the good times, it's what Iwata would want you do to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63mG4k-VIyY

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
RIP Iwata. It is comforting to read the stories about how he was willing to make personal sacrifices for the sake of others in his company. Very atypical of a CEO. Here is to hoping that those who succeed him will retain the same vigor and care for their company. they won't :smith:

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Iwata always seemed like he had a real love for video games and was trying his best to keep Nintendo pure by making good games for everyone to enjoy, instead of your typical video game ceo who doesn't have much of a history with games and only cares about profits. Other game CEOs would have sold out the company years ago, with yearly sequels of questionable quality and making cash-shop mobile games. Near the end he was preparing for that, but you could tell he wanted to be very careful not to be too short-sighted.

He truly loved the industry and wouldn't compromise it for the sake of profits. It really is a sad day for all gamers.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Saw the news while my four year old was at my parents' house. Really sad and was dreading telling him about it. Little guy loved Iwata, watched and re-watched Nintendo Direct videos on the WiiU in the mornings and would excitedly tell us all about what Mr Iwata had to say in whichever video he watched that morning. We figured it'd be best to tell him ourselves in case Nintendo puts something up, better to hear it from us. Kid got really sad and asked if this meant Mario Maker wouldn't be coming out now since Mister Iwata wasn't alive to work on it any more.
:smith:

Peakay
Jun 29, 2013

Stealthy Simian of Trickery

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW207vR6Q50

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm wondering myself if the whole announcing the Nintendo NX earlier this year was him giving his seal of approval on the project before at the very least him having to step down from his position. Imagine the speculation if they announced the NX at E3 2016.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

-Fish- posted:

Saw the news while my four year old was at my parents' house. Really sad and was dreading telling him about it. Little guy loved Iwata, watched and re-watched Nintendo Direct videos on the WiiU in the mornings and would excitedly tell us all about what Mr Iwata had to say in whichever video he watched that morning. We figured it'd be best to tell him ourselves in case Nintendo puts something up, better to hear it from us. Kid got really sad and asked if this meant Mario Maker wouldn't be coming out now since Mister Iwata wasn't alive to work on it any more.

Dude I think you're kind of overestimating a 4 year old's reaction to a company CEO.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Assumed this thread was goatse.

Still wish it was goatse.

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015

Dehry posted:

I'm wondering myself if the whole announcing the Nintendo NX earlier this year was him giving his seal of approval on the project before at the very least him having to step down from his position. Imagine the speculation if they announced the NX at E3 2016.

I wouldn't doubt that. I'm genuinely impressed with the fact that he was able to power through some of those events, like the stockholder meeting, and continue working on Nintendo's future.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Not what it actually says, unfortunately.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

This is terrible. But at the same time, after hearing about the cancer, I'm hardly surprised that he seemed to look well before his sudden death. A family friend went through a similar process before passing away from cancer as well.

2015 is being really unfair in regards to celebrity deaths in nerd culture (Terry Pratchett, Christopher Lee, now Mr.Iwata...).

I only hope that Nintendo can remain in good hands.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Iwata after E3 you apologized and said you would work to better meet our expectations!

You lied!

this does not meet my expectations :(

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Barely two hours ago since the notice was posted. News certainly travels fast.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

“Even if we come from different sides of the world, speak different languages, even if we eat too many chips or rice balls, even if we have different tastes in games, every one of us here today is identical in the most important way: each one of us has the heart of a gamer.” - Satoru Iwata, Heart of a Gamer

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Argue posted:

Iwata after E3 you apologized and said you would work to better meet our expectations!

You lied!

this does not meet my expectations :(

All is never what it seems

https://youtu.be/DOSBb65n5Q4?t=21m18s

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Zuzie posted:

This is terrible. But at the same time, after hearing about the cancer, I'm hardly surprised that he seemed to look well before his sudden death. A family friend went through a similar process before passing away from cancer as well.

2015 is being really unfair in regards to celebrity deaths in nerd culture (Terry Pratchett, Christopher Lee, now Mr.Iwata...).

I only hope that Nintendo can remain in good hands.
Also Leonard Nimoy and composer James Horner. Rough year so far, to put it mildly.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Your avatar is pretty on point for this entire thread

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Dammit. This is really depressing news. Sayonara, Mr. Iwata.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
We love you, Iwata.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I am dedicating my first Mario Maker stage to Mr. Iwata.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

:sigh:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

For some reason I thought there would be a mushroom on the flag outside the headquarters.

Sad day indeed.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Goddammit

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Remember the good times, it's what Iwata would want you do to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63mG4k-VIyY

Man this totally made me smile. :unsmith:

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015

:(

I think it might be time to play EarthBound or something. If only to cheer up and appreciate his work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
It hit me. he is dead now

• Locked thread