Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rirse posted:

Wasn't Yamauchi the one who had a grudge against Square after they left to work on the Playstation, to the point he wouldn't let them put anything out on the console until he stepped down?

It was the other way around, I think - Square conspicuously cut themselves out of the picture around the time of the N64 but they eventually came back after they lost a ton of money on initiatives like Spirits Within and their shareholders demanded they reconcile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Fun irony fact, Yamauchi donated a shitton of money to make a cancer treatment centre.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
This is hitting me as a hard as a family member dying. He was right there, with Miyamoto and Reggie as the faces of the greatest video game company in the world.

With him gone, I seriously wonder where Nintendo is going to go. :smith:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Iwata pretty much continued to run Nintendo like Yamauchi did anyway, just with a smile instead.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

loving hell I'm going to be a wreck tomorrow at work.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

homeless snail posted:

Iwata pretty much continued to run Nintendo like Yamauchi did anyway, just with a smile instead.

There were definite shifts but they're not as pominent as you might think because Yamauchi had basically checked out a few years before he officially stepped down and Iwata's clique was running things in the background.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

-Fish- posted:

Just realized

Balloon Fight was probably part of the Nintendo World Championship this year just so Iwata could see people loving it one last time

:smith:

Hoooooly fuuuuuuccckkkkkkkkkk

:smith:

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
let us stomp out cancer for good

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Anime Curator posted:

Today we are one step closer to a world where no one is suffering from cancer.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Is this real?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Please understand that Iwata is only preparing us for the sadness that is the day Miyamoto goes.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, it was real, they deleted it and replaced it with a really bad picture of Iwata.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

homeless snail posted:

Today we are one step closer to a world where no one is suffering from cancer.

God dammit I needed a joke this dark. Thank you.

I hope whoever does take over as President decides to take the company in a new direction. It's not that the company needs it, but I think getting too hung up on "How Iwata would have done things" could just chain the company down in the long run. It'll be interesting to see where Nintendo goes from here.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Crabtree posted:

Please understand that Iwata is only preparing us for the sadness that is the day Miyamoto goes.

Miyamoto won't die. He knows the infinite 1-up trick.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

miss me yet?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

I'm wearing this shirt tomorrow:

I hope everyone remembers the importance of Bein' Friends.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Came expecting goatse, left sad and confused. :(

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Skaw posted:

The only Nintendo exec who will never die is Masahiro Sakurai, so long as the portrait that ages for him remains intact.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

between this guy and satoshi kon i think god has it out for japanese pop culture visionaries and auteurs

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

icantfindaname posted:

between this guy and satoshi kon i think god has it out for japanese pop culture visionaries and auteurs

beat takeshi will beat death

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Skaw posted:

The day Miyamoto dies the entire internet will go dark for hours I can guarantee you that.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Calaveron posted:

The day Miyamoto dies the entire internet will go dark for hours I can guarantee you that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I thought it was but apparently it isn't. The poo poo headline is real but the attached pic was always the Iwata one they used. Polygon changed the headline. The slightly-less-awful headline meant a new url and so the old tweet was deleted because the article title is part of the url on polygon.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 13, 2015

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

beat takeshi will beat death
Thanks to the souls he collected of those that failed Takeshi's Challenge.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Rocketlex posted:

The only Nintendo exec who will never die is Masahiro Sakurai, so long as the portrait that ages for him remains intact.

No kidding there's this very old picture with photos of young Iwata, Miyamoto and Sakurai with a Kirby drawing by each. Sakurai doesn't look a year older now.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
With his dying breath, Gackt will will them all back into existence.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Commander Keenan posted:

Twitter's blowing up. This one got me.

made it a gif

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Never thought I'd be hit so hard by the loss of a CEO, but under Iwata Nintendo had a perfect PR thing going on with this likable, silly bunch of people who loved their games. I don't mean to infantiilize him or anything, but that playful and open attitude Nintendo has exuded the past few years is such a refreshing thing to look to with the rest of the industry as it is. As a kid, Sonic and the Dreamcast was my introduction to gaming, but as the DC died I jumped ship to GameCube for Melee. My primary experience with Nintendo basically began under his leadership...of course, Pokemon Silver was a huge title for me a little before that, and what do you know, thanks to him, that game went above and beyond and alongside Melee cemented my love for video games. It sounds so stupid to type that out, but through this dumb hobby I've met incredible people I can share it with, and those people have opened up wonderful experiences and opportunities for me.

I can only hope that the successor continues Iwata's vision, even if it's not the most financially successful vision. Pouring some glasses tonight and playing some of his games.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Anime Curator posted:

This is a good thing to take care of this century if possible, please.

I will miss Iwata's fun attitude toward the business side of gaming, and reminding everybody this is all silly poo poo. Things won't be the same, he'd want us to be optimistic though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zTsvPRwKZg

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 13, 2015

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
:(

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

fits posted:

made it a gif

:gbsmith:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Endorph posted:

Eh, I think Gunpei Yokoi would also qualify. He died before internet reactions could really be a thing, but he was absolutely as important as Iwata.

I was moved by Dany Bunten's death too having basically played MULE, Heart of Africa and Seven Cities of Gold for months.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rocketlex posted:

I hope whoever does take over as President decides to take the company in a new direction. It's not that the company needs it, but I think getting too hung up on "How Iwata would have done things" could just chain the company down in the long run. It'll be interesting to see where Nintendo goes from here.
From investor interviews for the last I dunno, 2-3 years(?), it seemed like they were in the middle of changing things up (and of course the recent one with DeNA was pretty major), and the stuff he said seemed reasonable enough. Granted it was also vague enough to leave things open to interpretation, but it wasn't them being stuck in the mud. Anyway my fear is that the next president fucks things up one way or another, either going with the plan and not necessarily understanding it fully, or just coming up with some bad shortsighted plan. Or being successful financially but losing what makes Nintendo Nintendo, i.e. becoming like any other boring dev.

Rocketlex posted:

If you look at his pictures through time he's more like Benjamin Button...not that I saw the movie but he dies as a baby or something I assume.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Jesus Christ, I didn't know he was sick. gently caress cancer forever. :smith:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Rocketlex posted:

I think they'll stay the course because Iwata made three of the biggest decisions for Nintendo long term which was (a) opening the company's IPs up for licensing out to third party partners, (b) launching the amiibo line which is practically saving the corporation right now, (c) creating a mobile game partnership but continuing to develop dedicated gaming hardware and software.

Those three things alone are already a new direction for Nintendo, the only 'new' direction they could go from here would be to retreat back into their shell and stay insular.

They're not going to become a more Western or AAA-style or mobile-only corp ever because they're a super conservative japanese company and when in doubt stay the course even if everything's on fire.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jul 13, 2015

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDD5JHRVPPM

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It just now hit me how much I'm going to miss listening to this guy speak, either onstage or in Nintendo Directs. :( He's been the face of the company for about as long as I've bothered keeping up with gaming news and conferences, the idea of him not being around anymore is just bizarre to me, it doesn't make sense.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

g-g-g-ghost

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
Unbelievable.

This is one of my favorite videos of him, explaining Nintendo's philosophies...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AkPdAWfFjI

:japan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

He worked hard, but in the end it was in heaven's hands.

• Locked thread