Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

:( https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/621952774184505344

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
From the WSJ:

quote:

Thousands of admirers and business associates gathered in Kyoto to say a final farewell to Satoru Iwata, the Nintendo Co. president who died of cancer on Saturday at age 55.

The Kyoto-based company held two days of funeral services for Mr. Iwata according to Japanese custom. At a temple, people wearing black and carrying umbrellas because of a nearby typhoon lined up to pass his coffin. Some even carried a Nintendo 3DS handheld game machine, which was introduced by Mr. Iwata.

Nintendo said more than 2,600 people attended in the first day, and 1,500 came on the second day.

Delivering a eulogy Friday, Mr. Takeda said that he and Mr. Miyamoto would strive to complete the work that Mr. Iwata started. Mr. Takeda said the seeds that Mr. Iwata planted would one day grow into flowers “that will make people around the world smile.”

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Did they bury him with a 3DS so I can streetpass him from beyond the grave?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

... Wow, loving hell. It is bizarre that the idea "wow, I'm never going to get another of Iwata's goofy miis" is actually something that left me feeling depressed.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just read about NeoGaf's admin having a meltdown about people wanting a Iwata banner for a day or whatever. What a douche :psyduck:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just read about NeoGaf's admin having a meltdown about people wanting a Iwata banner for a day or whatever. What a douche :psyduck:
NeoGAF is like if people actually thought there was a point to winning a console war

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

ImpAtom posted:

... Wow, loving hell. It is bizarre that the idea "wow, I'm never going to get another of Iwata's goofy miis" is actually something that left me feeling depressed.

Iwata helped me with killing the demon at the end of Find Mii. :allears:

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Cartoon Man posted:

He'll most likely be cremated and have his ashes scattered.

Imagine if they plugged in his 3DS at a museum like the Gulf War Gameboy and had it collect Street Passes.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Sunning posted:

He'll most likely be cremated and have his ashes scattered.

Imagine if they plugged in his 3DS at a museum like the Gulf War Gameboy and had it collect Street Passes.

I don't think they'd just let them scatter his sorrow to the heartless sea.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I don't think they'd just let them scatter his sorrow to the heartless sea.

We are Nintendogs.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

Sleeveless posted:

They burned through the mythical "war chest" that they built up over the Wii's lifetime in like two years and the only thing keeping the company afloat is whoring out their IPs to third parties, branching out into cell phone games, and selling toys that double as on-disc DLC while reassuring everybody that their new console is just around the corner and will totally turn things around. Just because they managed to pull out of their tailspin at the last minute doesn't change the fact that they were heading for bankruptcy.

Google their financial reports. Their war chest is still $10 billion and has barely dipped below that in years. It would take something like 50 more years of their recent losses to come close to bankruptcy.

Fleedar fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 21, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Link that poo poo dog!

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Link that poo poo dog!

Yeah, I genuinely don't believe that someone would hate a game company enough to get angry at the prospect of a tribute.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I believe it. I just want to read it :v:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Macaluso posted:

I believe it. I just want to read it :v:

Original
Archived

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

quote:

I did in fact ask my art team to create an Iwata memorial logo immediately upon hearing the tragic news, since the idea resonated with me and we were all deeply saddened by his passing. An appropriate memorial logo was created shortly thereafter.

It will not be used. Have a wonderful day.

It's sweet like candy

edit: The actual thread is a bit more obvious that the other posters are lovely too. poo poo all around!

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 21, 2015

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I can respect an admit that says gently caress you to whiny users.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Cutting off your nose to spite your face, clever

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Kyte posted:

I can respect an admit that says gently caress you to whiny users.

Yeah but then he goes and says "we were going to do something nice but now we aren't out of spite" so he is an immature turd.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Remember when EviLore groped a stranger when he visited Europe. Swell guy.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Now I want to read his rap sheet, what is his SA account again?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah but then he goes and says "we were going to do something nice but now we aren't out of spite" so he is an immature turd.

Spite makes the world go round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

TechnoSyndrome posted:

He also got scammed on a trip to Turkey and banned anyone who suggested it happened afterward.

He also stole and leaked nude images of another guy's ex-girlfriend

He's a nutjob that doesn't even post on his own forums anymore because they're so involved in the fight of social issues like feminism and transgender acceptance, despite his own troubling views on those issues.

• Locked thread