Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Hello, and welcome to Our Let's Play of Katamari Forever. We are very excited to get started, but We believe you should be educated on Our history first.

We think that Wikipedia might be able to produce an answer to this.

quote:

Katamari Forever, known in Japan as Katamari Damacy Tribute (塊魂TRIBUTE Katamari Damashii TRIBUTE), is a video game in the Katamari series. The game was released for the PlayStation 3 console in Japan on July 23, 2009, on September 22, 2009 in North America, and September 18, 2009 in Europe. A demo of the game became available on the Japanese PlayStation Network on its Japanese release date, and on the North American PlayStation Network on September 10, 2009.
Ah. Well. We don't think this is clear enough. Katamari Forever is the final console release of a Katamari Game. It includes 34 stages, only 3 of which are new. It is also a love letter to the entire series, featuring fan-favorite levels. It introduces a new mechanic to the series in the ability to jump, but retains the same gameplay from previous games. There, are you now up to speed on Katamari? What? No? Well We should fix that then.

Katamari Damacy: The Prince must rebuild the Heavens after We destroy the stars and moon.
We Love Katamari: The Prince must appeal to his fans in order to appease Us.
Me & My Katamari: The Prince must rebuild islands because We destroyed them.
Katamari Damacy Mobile: Apparently this is a thing that exists?
Beautiful Katamari: What is this horrible thing? Get it out of Our face.
I Love Katamari: Another mobile game, this time for iOS.
Korogashi Puzzle Katamari Damacy: A DSiWare Pac-Attack clone. Yes.
Katamari Forever: This game! We jump too high and bump Our head, so the Prince and his cousins build a RoboKing.
Katamari Amore: Another iOS game.
Touch My Katamari: We're just going to quote Wikipedia on this one:

quote:

One day, a boy asks his Dad "Who is more awesome, the King of All Cosmos or his principal?". When the dad is trying to make up his mind, the mom says they are both equally awesome. The king overhears the conversation. Shocked, he becomes a train wreck. Somewhere else, a slacker named Goro, who puts off studying for video games, television and the Internet, sees a news broadcast telling of the King's apparent depression. Goro believes that this is his moment to start his life anew, so he runs off to make a new lifestyle for himself.

So what was that about Cousins? Well, each Katamari game introduce a set of alternate characters to play as known as the cousins. We will be updating this post as We find them in the game.

Cousin Dangle: A cousin who has a fear of heights. Apparently, his hobby is observing ants' nests...
Cousin Honey: A cousin who messes up just about everything she does. Oddly, she never screws up when nobody is looking at her.

We have decided to allow co-commentators to grace Us with their presence. They have been given instructions to produce an image of themselves as a Cousin. We will update this section as new co-commentators join.

Blastinus graces Us with his... art.

We have but two royal decrees for this thread:
1: No spoilers. Not even in black bars. You are free to discuss levels after they happen, but We don't want anyone ruining some of the amazing levels in this game. The only exception is Cowbear. You are allowed to hate Cowbear.
2: Be chill. Just because someone doesn't agree that Cowbear is the worst level doesn't mean they're wrong. (They are wrong, but this isn't the place to discuss that)

With that out of the way, please enjoy the LP.

Episode One: Tutorial
Episode Two: Make a Star 1 - Playtime
Episode Three: Gingerbread House

poorlywrittennovel fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Blind "Fred Durst" Sally graces the thread with beautiful music
Nine-Gear Crow continues a theme
FPzero reminds Us of Our love of the Boss

Edit: I'd like to thank Nine-Gear Crow for all the lovely header images he made for me.

poorlywrittennovel fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 21, 2015

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Best of luck with this, PW and not because I have a vested interest in this LP for any reason. :patriot:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am excited, I love this game! And most Katamari games.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Looking forward to this! I've never seen a katamari game in action, but I've heard a lot about how silly they are.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I remember the Freelance Astronauts doing several streams of We Love Katamari though sadly only the first stream was recorded, here's the first video of that stream for anyone interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DeJX9zb2O0

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I suppose any retrospective of the series must include the infamous bearcows.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
This is one of my favorite Katamari games. This and We Love are the best ones.

Also I'm a big fan of most of the remixed / mashed up songs in this game.

Question: Are we allowed to record our own attempts at breaking your records? Can we all compete against each other in a friendly manner?

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

kalonZombie posted:

This is one of my favorite Katamari games. This and We Love are the best ones.

Also I'm a big fan of most of the remixed / mashed up songs in this game.

Question: Are we allowed to record our own attempts at breaking your records? Can we all compete against each other in a friendly manner?

Sure, go ahead. This LP is in no way a skilled run. I'm just going to try to show off the levels to the best of my ability.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

poorlywrittennovel posted:

Sure, go ahead. This LP is in no way a skilled run. I'm just going to try to show off the levels to the best of my ability.

gently caress yeah. Gonna go practice my more favorite levels.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I actually like Beautiful Katamari... It's the 4th best in the series that I have played.

The order I like is Katamari Forever, We Love Katamari, Katamari Damacy, Beautiful Katamari, Me & My Katamari, and finally I Love Katamari.

The worst level in all the games is the Cowbear level. Or the cow level. Or the bear level. They're not fun.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

IAmTheRad posted:

I actually like Beautiful Katamari... It's the 4th best in the series that I have played.

The order I like is Katamari Forever, We Love Katamari, Katamari Damacy, Beautiful Katamari, Me & My Katamari, and finally I Love Katamari.

The worst level in all the games is the Cowbear level. Or the cow level. Or the bear level. They're not fun.

My personal issue with Beautiful Katamari is that the 90% Idolmaster soundtrack is really bad compared to what the other games have, and that the offset control sticks on the 360 felt weird to play with. It's not a bad game, just a bit of a mis-step for the series.

Also because it might not be clear from the OP, while I do have some guests lined up, that doesn't mean I'm not willing to bring in folks from the thread. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i <3 katamari

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I played this game a lot on my roommate's PS3 back in college. We slowly made our way through the series (skipping Beautiful Katamari because we didn't have it) and this game was probably the best one, with the most variety. When I got a used PS3 of my own, I made sure to buy this game so I could play it by myself too. It's so much fun and so bizarre in the best way.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
This is one of the few reasons I'm interested in ever getting a PS3 again.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i hope the other reasons are Haze and Lair.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Hey guess what, it's Episode 2!

Updates from this point are going to be sporadic. Now that the basic mechanics have been covered every episode from this point on is going to have a guest in it. The OP has been updated with our new cousin too!

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
I have the first two Katamari games for PS2 and haven't played any beyond those due to not having the systems, so I'll be following this LP. If this game is like the ones I've played, then shooting stars are rewards for meeting a level's objective within a certain time. On their screens where you can look at the stuff you've made, the shooting stars for levels correspond to buttons on the controller and go by when you press them.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

...Have you seriously gotten this far without realizing that shooting stars come from beating the size requirement under a certain time?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The Katamari games and a few others (Muscle March, Cho Aniki, Seaman, Boong-Ga Boong-Ga, etc.) make me wonder, are Japanese game guys just loving with us? Like, do they make these games and chortle to themselves "ho ho the roundeyes are going to flip out over this one!" Katamari is a great game, make no mistake, love it. But it's just sandwiched with so much weirdness (essential to its charm) that I wonder how they come up with it sometimes.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Uhh, I dunno, I don't think anyone is thinking that, but is sure is a fun and beautiful bit of absurd video gaming.

Also, made this for the thread before someone else could beat me to the joke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNoiyP6juc4

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Page 1 and we already have an excuse to whip out the Fan Art banner. Congratulations PW! :toot:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I don't have a PS3 anymore but I'm so going to have to dig out We <3 Katamari now that I've seen this. I actually did 100% Katamari Forever so I guess I'm a crazy person.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

...Have you seriously gotten this far without realizing that shooting stars come from beating the size requirement under a certain time?

Nope, I never really correlated the two things together. Fun fact, until I went back to do some test recordings on my main save file, I didn't even have the present from this level on my main save file either :v:.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Nope, I never really correlated the two things together. Fun fact, until I went back to do some test recordings on my main save file, I didn't even have the present from this level on my main save file either :v:.

I'm figuratively dying. You're figuratively killing me.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Scaramouche posted:

The Katamari games and a few others (Muscle March, Cho Aniki, Seaman, Boong-Ga Boong-Ga, etc.) make me wonder, are Japanese game guys just loving with us? Like, do they make these games and chortle to themselves "ho ho the roundeyes are going to flip out over this one!" Katamari is a great game, make no mistake, love it. But it's just sandwiched with so much weirdness (essential to its charm) that I wonder how they come up with it sometimes.
Well, Boong-Ga Boong-Ga is Korean, but(t).

I think it just took one very creative guy with some amazing out-of-the-box ideas (Keita Takahashi) and a company that was willing to, ahem, roll with it. The base concept is unique enough, but yeah, sandwiched between all the graphics, offbeat opening movies, strange cutscenes, crazy music, and nutso soundclips (one of which, from We <3 Katamari, is my Windows critical stop sound) all come together to make one hell of a fun and special game. I applaud Takahashi for leaving the series after the first two games, before it got stale; his dream is to design playgrounds for children, and I bet those would be something else. :allears:

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

I think that the first two games are fantastic and are carried by how unique they are. As the series went on it seems like they just kept trying to up the scale of the games without really focusing on what made the series what it was. That's why I really like Forever, it would have been a perfect way to send off the series by going back to what made it work. I haven't actually played the Vita one, so I can't really speak about if they should have stopped at Forever or not though.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

[record-scratching noises]

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The sad/horrifying part comes when you realize that Fred and the King have the same facial hair :stonk:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Am I allowed to hate levels that were so bad they didn't copy them into this one? gently caress campfires. Cowbear is worse but it's a close race.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

The sad/horrifying part comes when you realize that Fred and the King have the same facial hair :stonk:

:captainpop: going in the fanart section.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012

1: No spoilers. Not even in black bars. You are free to discuss levels after they happen, but We don't want anyone ruining some of the amazing levels in this game. The only exception is Cowbear. You are allowed to hate Cowbear.

Then I'll go ahead and say gently caress COWBEAR and doubly gently caress any unique items that you have to deal with it to get. It singlehandedly kills wanting to go right for platinum achievment level on KF, which is a shame, because most everything else is wonderful, although even Cowbear isn't as bad as the tedium of the million roses in We ♥ Katamari.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I just loaded up my game after such a long time and the next level on my save file is Cowbear.

We are not happy.

e: oh man gently caress this level bullshit start

FPzero fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 16, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I kinda want to play this cowbear level for myself to see if it is actually as terrible as you say. Instead, I will probs just boot up the original Katamari again because I nabbed it for $1 on a sweet PSN sale a while back.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Blind Sally posted:

I kinda want to play this cowbear level for myself to see if it is actually as terrible as you say. Instead, I will probs just boot up the original Katamari again because I nabbed it for $1 on a sweet PSN sale a while back.

The level ends any time you pick up a cow or bear or anything that even remotely resembles one. You have 10 minutes to get really drat huge while narrowly avoiding all the cow spotted traffic cones, little tiny bear statues and other complete bullshit you can hardly see once your vision expands a couple times. All so you can pick up a flying Cowbear that roams around the map.

And there's dozens of unique cows and bears you can only pick up on that level.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 16, 2015

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

The level ends any time you pick up a cow or bear or anything that even remotely resembles one. You have 10 minutes to get really drat huge while narrowly avoiding all the cow spotted traffic cones, little tiny bear statues and other complete bullshit you can hardly see once your vision expands a couple times. All so you can pick up a flying Cowbear that roams around the map.

And there's dozens of unique cows and bears you can only pick up on that level.

Also the Cousin counts as a cow for the purposes of ending the level. She also gives you like no points and will inevitably ruin your score if you pick her up without thinking about it. It's made for some fun times trying to record a decent run of that level :shepicide:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I mentioned to poorlywritten early that the cowbear level sounds like a hilarious troll from the devs. I imagine it's mandatory, though, right? It wouldn't be as frustrating if it was optional?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Blind Sally posted:

I mentioned to poorlywritten early that the cowbear level sounds like a hilarious troll from the devs. I imagine it's mandatory, though, right? It wouldn't be as frustrating if it was optional?

I think it's mandatory, but at least in the first two games there is no minimum size requirement, so once you pick up that first cow-themed traffic cone you can basically skip the whole thing. It's only really irritating for completionists and for people who don't want the KoAC to berate them for underperforming.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's a double troll for completionists because of both the annoying super clear requirement and the previously mentioned dozens of unique cows and bears for your collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
Yeah, it's not hellishly hard to manage to just clear it, but for completionists it's probably the single worst thing between them and platinum. The worst part is learning each of the dangers and keeping them memorized.

The only reason it's not as tedious as the million rose roll is because that doesn't even have ANY challenge, effectively zero variety, and you don't even really noticeably grow there. Everything you do is better accomplished by several rubber bands around the analog sticks.

• Locked thread