Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

The Saurus posted:

that plan sounds like there's a lot of room for universe-destroying error

you seem like the kind of guy who thought it was totally awesome and legit when that weirdo in Dune turned himself into a giant worm

if closed time-like curves are possible in our universe then there must already be a zillion naturally occurring ones

if they can destroy the universe it has already happened and this is the resulting universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

chaosbreather posted:

lol look at this pansy rear end poo poo

yeah lets use my time machine to hang out with poo poo heads from the past either ensuring my non-existence or my eternal trapping in an alternate time line away from all my cool poo poo

here's what you do: you send a really good crazy tough computer back in time with a bunch of really long poo poo to figure out, into ORBIT, back in time. solar power has all the juice you need. then you signal your new centuries old satellite and get free thousands of years of computation. then if you got poo poo that's really interesting you have the satellite send its memory back in time to override the previous memory and you get a loop of infinite time which you get to stand after, allowing hypercomputation: the ability to solve any problem including impossible ones like the halting problem and you can cure tons of diseases and simulate entire virtual universes on there instantly. you'll know everything and rule the universe for a million years with your personal artificial Malament-Hogarth spacetime

but yeah you can go confuse some romans that's cool too i guess

I always figured the scenario assumed you didn't have control over where/when you travelled, and could only do it once.
Obviously if you had a time machine you could control you'd do the thing you said, but if you just got flung back in time on a one way trip to a random time period then confusing some Romans would prob be the best course of action.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
I'm too scared of being out of the realm of human experience to smoke salvia let alone become some sort of omniscient deity through supertechnology

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I also don't necessarily know why you'd want to use the ability to time travel to attempt to benefit humanity. Knowing what we know about history, maybe it would be best if we did shake things up or gently caress around because tbh human history thus far has been overwhelmingly poo poo and terrible for 99% of all people ever living and we tend to justify our existence based on the 1% that were exceptionally lucky.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'd start the ice bucket challenge so we wouldn't have to deal with it now. Actually all those weird one off fads: planking, pet rocks, tamagotchi, chia pets, democracy, etc.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
send me to the americas where all I gotta deal with is starvation and syphillis

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
actually send me to japan I wanna teach them how to anime

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I wanna be muhammad's dad

edit: 7th cuntury...

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

a hole-y ghost posted:

I must say, I am curious as to who would be the stinkier between a 4th century European and a goon.

My money is on for the first 2 weeks, it would be the 4th century people. Goon wouldn't be able to cope without AXE bodywash and modern dental care, though, and would rapidly become a smelly 4th-century pariah.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Just think how advanced our animes could be if we had another thousand years of experience

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Applewhite posted:

I always figured the scenario assumed you didn't have control over where/when you travelled, and could only do it once.
Obviously if you had a time machine you could control you'd do the thing you said, but if you just got flung back in time on a one way trip to a random time period then confusing some Romans would prob be the best course of action.

If that was the case it would be even sillier to go. The insanely vast majority of time and area on the earth is spectacularly unfriendly to human life. You'd end up in an ocean or on a glacier or in a lava field or something and the odds of running into a single human would be similar to a time machine just appearing on your doorstep tomorrow.

The advantage of my plan is you can do it on a single jump. You just download the dump of your computer before you send it back in time once. If alternate histories remain real then there will be an infinite numbers of alternate mes that thanks to the total physical isolation of the timeline change will be identical other than the contents of the transmission that they download into the satellite and send back in time but the prime non-spawning timeline will just have me receiving a solution to every problem I could ever have from a mysterious source.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

chaosbreather posted:

If that was the case it would be even sillier to go. The insanely vast majority of time and area on the earth is spectacularly unfriendly to human life. You'd end up in an ocean or on a glacier or in a lava field or something and the odds of running into a single human would be similar to a time machine just appearing on your doorstep tomorrow.

The advantage of my plan is you can do it on a single jump. You just download the dump of your computer before you send it back in time once. If alternate histories remain real then there will be an infinite numbers of alternate mes that thanks to the total physical isolation of the timeline change will be identical other than the contents of the transmission that they download into the satellite and send back in time but the prime non-spawning timeline will just have me receiving a solution to every problem I could ever have from a mysterious source.

Well ofc it would be silly to go voluntarily. I always figured it's like you accidentally fell into a wormhole or something.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
what if there is no time

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

what if there is no time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjU5lXY8wHE

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

chaosbreather posted:

Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff...

teabagging you for all eternity

time works the same way

Mathlete
Nov 30, 2005

It's hip to be a squared square.
Yeah all of that sounds nice at first, but there are just two problems. Think about it. How would you be able to speak anyone at all? Secondly, you would be carrying hundreds of viruses that people from the past have no immunity to. You have to stop for a second and consider these things before just waltzing off into the past.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Or, more likely, because you don't speak any known language on the planet (unless you're one of the like 1% of people who know Latin or ancient Greek).

i wouldn't need to speak, i would let the populace draw its own conclusions as to my intentions by analyzing who I chose to publicly torture and execute

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hogge Wild posted:

nah, there are two subjects that you could't teach anything new to greeks; abs and sodomy

i bet the greeks were tubby fuckers who never actually got laid and all the statues and poems about buttfucking are the ancient equivalent of photoshop and posting on SA about your date

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_Who_Came_Early

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

oh man the thread a few days ago about time travel made me hope there was a book like this

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Oh poo poo wikipedia has doxxed me. Wtf Jimmy Wales you money-grabbing oval office.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
I'm a Navy Seal IRL and I would kill any medieval motherfucker who looked at me the wrong way.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
i would wow them by inventing eggs benny 14 centuries ahead of schedule

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'd introduce New World fruits and vegetables like the potato and tomato and such. Maybe use my high school Latin to teach how to make a burger.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Well pretty much anyone here would be known as the fattest gently caress around. Also, how quickly would our health falter? I suppose we grew up with a lot of vitamins and benefits like vaccines but after several weeks wouldn't we be screwed, especially because the environment is different and no longer have access to things like toothpaste, or heating or good plumbing?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
The vikings kicked rear end and have their poo poo together in the modern era. Would probably help them take over the world with the help of advances in food preservation and metallurgy. I'd then sit back and get drunk and fat(ter) while the raiding teams go out and make me rich as hell.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Would a modern day person be less immune to 4th century diseases or does it only work the other way around?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Benny Harvey posted:

Would a modern day person be less immune to 4th century diseases or does it only work the other way around?

Other way around most likely

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Benny Harvey posted:

you're not going to have any real immunity to any disease you've never had contact with so people in the 4th century wouldn't have much immunity and your immunity would depend on whether or not those diseases had anything in common with what we have today

it'd probably play out about like Cortes and his adventures in the South American jungles as far as disease is concerned

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Robo Reagan posted:

you're not going to have any real immunity to any disease you've never had contact with so people in the 4th century wouldn't have much immunity and your immunity would depend on whether or not those diseases had anything in common with what we have today

This is not true. We would not have acquired immunity, but there's a good chance we could have some innate immunity

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
o okay, yeah then go with what the guy with the lusty germ avatar says

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I mean, I haven't tried it out so ymmv

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I've been thinking about this way too much over the last few days

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
let's do it. let's go there and see what happens

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Robo Reagan posted:

let's do it. let's go there and see what happens

We would need a good sampl size of goons, would have to abduct a sample of average people from that time, then drop everyone in a sterile environment and just expose everyone to the flu or something

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
We could also try ebola; both populations would be naive to the virus itself most likely, and would probably require some kind of innate immunity, so whichever group had more survivors after a few months would be the winners

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I guess it could go many ways. Maybe the people back then were exposed to some kind of very mild filovirus, which would get people a little sick but not kill anyone or hurt them enough so that they couldn't reproduce, but would inoculate them against ebola somehow. So, there would have not been enough selective pressure put on the population to give us some kind of innate immunity down the line, but it would have inoculated the people exposed directly back then. In which case we would be screwed I guess

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I think that when all is said and done, we would most likely give them the modern flu or modern TB and they would die

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Most likely, the diseases themselves back then were not as virulent as the ones we have now. If you are infecting people in a small village or isolated group of people, you don't want to kill them off too quickly. You need to have like a disease that can be latent for a long time, like the older version of TB, which can be mostly dormant, passed on from mother to child, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
When people became more mobile and settled in big cities, the pathogens themselves were allowed to become symptomatic more quickly. The more virulent form is now selected for, comparatively

• Locked thread