Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Welcome to the home of golf.

The Open Championship returns to St. Andrews for the 29th time, where it visits every 5 years; the last time it was played here, in 2010, Louis Oosthuizen won by 7 shots.

The 2015 edition has a few interesting storylines:
-Defending champion Rory McIlroy is out with an ankle injury
-Jordan Spieth is going for the 3rd leg of the grand slam
-Rickie Fowler won last week's Scottish Open, going for his first major
-Tom Watson is playing in his last Open

Air Times (ET)
Thu/Fri: 4am-3pm, Encore 3-6pm, Best of 7-11pm all on ESPN
Sat: 7am-2:30pm ESPN, Encore 3-6pm ABC, Best of 7-11pm ESPN
Sun: 6am-1:30pm ESPN, Encore 3-6pm ABC

So basically golf around the clock :getin:. You can also watch on WatchESPN, and http://www.theopen.com will also have live video.

Marquee Tee Times (Thu/Fri ET)
3:33am / 8:34am Tom Watson, Ernie Els, Brandt Snedeker
4:11am / 9:12am Lee Westwood, Sergio Garcia, Patrick Reed
4:33am / 9:34am Jordan Spieth, Hideki Matsuyama, Dustin Johnson
4:55am / 9:56am Jason Day, Tiger Woods, Louis Oosthuizen
9:12am / 4:11am Adam Scott, Martin Kaymer, Jimmy Walker
9:34am / 4:33am Phil Mickelson, Henrik Stenson, Matt Kuchar
9:45am / 4:44am Justin Rose, Nick Faldo, Rickie Fowler

Odds
Jordan Spieth 6/1
Dustin Johnson 12/1
Rickie Fowler 16/1
Adam Scott 20/1
Henrik Stenson 20/1
Justin Rose 20/1
Louis Oosthuizen 25/1
Jason Day 33/1
Martin Kaymer 33/1
Paul Casey 33/1
Phil Mickelson 33/1
Sergio Garcia 33/1
Tiger Woods 33/1

My Top 5 Picks
Jordan Spieth
Rickie Fowler
Henrik Stenson
Louis Oosthuizen
Jason Day

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:black101: THE JORDAN SPIETH REIGN OF TERROR WILL CONTINUE :black101:

Scott, Louis, Fowler, DJ if you want 4 others.

Also it is going to be very cool to watch this all happening while live in Scotland myself :munch:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I'm loving that Sergio and Tiger have the same odds. Do I smell another wager??

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Suprfli6 posted:

On who misses the cut harder? :twisted:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

I might take up a bet but none of the golfers at 33/1 play the Pro V1x. :( Adam Scott and Oosthuizen do though. (Scott actually plays the Pro V1 but same point)

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

COME ON JORDAN

BE THE RIGHT CLUB

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EnsGDT posted:

COME ON JORDAN

BE THE RIGHT CLUB

lmao this rules

E: Yo ESPN/ABC you drat well better copy the one goddamn thing Fox did right for the US Open and keep live mics on all the players at all times and SHUT THE gently caress UP WHILE THEY'RE TALKING.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 13, 2015

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

DJExile posted:

lmao this rules

E: Yo ESPN/ABC you drat well better copy the one goddamn thing Fox did right for the US Open and keep live mics on all the players at all times and SHUT THE gently caress UP WHILE THEY'RE TALKING.

Also, protracers. Protracers everywhere.

Forecast looks damp and not too windy, I bet we see some low scores.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Oostie
Rose
Day

only picking 3

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Suprfli6 posted:

Also, protracers. Protracers everywhere.

Forecast looks damp and not too windy, I bet we see some low scores.

Yeah Protracers own.

Locals up in the highlands have said Scotland overall has had a super wet and relatively chilly spring, so I'd imagine conditions are somewhat soft, and approaches should check up to a degree.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DJExile posted:

Yeah Protracers own.

Locals up in the highlands have said Scotland overall has had a super wet and relatively chilly spring, so I'd imagine conditions are somewhat soft, and approaches should check up to a degree.

Tiger said the course seemed pretty soft but noted retard Geoff Shakelford said he doesn't agree with him.

I don't know who to believe.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

Tiger said the course seemed pretty soft but noted retard Geoff Shakelford said he doesn't agree with him.

I don't know who to believe.

They could be both right. A lot of courses over here are sand-based, so they'll still be harder than most of the soil-based courses you have back in the states, but all this rain has probably softened it up from what it can typically be like, where a ball can be driven 300 yards then run another 100.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Air Times (ET)
Sat: 7am-2:30pm ESPN, Encore 3-6pm ABC
Sun: 6am-1:30pm ESPN, Encore 3-6pm ABC

Are Sunday Morning Infomercials so sanctified that they can't be interrupted to have live coverage for the few of us who still can't get cable?

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Suprfli6 posted:

Hey man, I was looking forward to a little payday when Sergio nearly won the Players, and Tiger missed the cut while Sergio finished a respectable T18 at the US Open.

so I DUNNO MAN I DUNNO HOW THIS WHOLE BETTING THING WORKS ANYMORE.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I will wager Adam Scott vs. a non-Titleist staffer. If they finish better, I will order a dozen of the balls they play. If Scott finishes better, to equalize costs, last year's Pro V1x that's currently on sale will do.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I assume you mean a non-Titleist ball player? Because Oosthuizen games the Pro V1x but uses Ping clubs.

As for Scott specifically, he's gone T25, 2, T3, and T5 in his last 4 Open starts. But in the years they've played at St. Andrews...

2000 - CUT
2005 - T34
2010 - T27

Any takers?!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

I assume you mean a non-Titleist ball player? Because Oosthuizen games the Pro V1x but uses Ping clubs.

As for Scott specifically, he's gone T25, 2, T3, and T5 in his last 4 Open starts. But in the years they've played at St. Andrews...

2000 - CUT
2005 - T34
2010 - T27

Any takers?!
Ya, picking Spieth or Rickie is obviously unfair, and I would pick Oosthuizen but he's not a Titleist staffer so it defeats the purpose of BRAND SHOWDOWN.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yo the app is loving baller

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Duval defeats Watson in a playoff.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

sarehu posted:

Cocaine is hell of a drug DJ.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

Cocaine is hell of a drug DJ.

You called? :v:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

sarehu posted:

I'll have what he's having.

Although, I'd rather see Tom Watson prevail. What a story that would be. Final Open appearance for the guy, and that would make for SIX Open championships.

I still wish ill upon Stewart Cink for beating Tom Watson in that playoff in 2009. Cink should have just bowed out and let potentially the greatest story line in the history of the sport play out.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kameh posted:

I still wish ill upon Stewart Cink for beating Tom Watson in that playoff in 2009. Cink should have just bowed out and let potentially the greatest story line in the history of the sport play out.

Nope.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Dude, it's not even close. He would have been the oldest major champion by 11 years, and 13 years older than Nicklaus when he won his 18th. Until somebody breaks Nicklaus's record or records the calendar grand slam, Watson winning the Open Championship one more time would have been the top.

Plus, who likes Stewart Cink anyway?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sarehu posted:

I missed it but this prediction owns and sarehu owns.

Also Kameh owns and I am also super mad about Tom Watson barely missing it in 09.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kameh posted:

Dude, it's not even close. He would have been the oldest major champion by 11 years, and 13 years older than Nicklaus when he won his 18th. Until somebody breaks Nicklaus's record or records the calendar grand slam, Watson winning the Open Championship one more time would have been the top.

Plus, who likes Stewart Cink anyway?

Asking a guy to concede is just stupid but I guess since it's what Sergio has been doing in every big tournament in his career I can understand why you'd expect it.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Haha Kameh is getting Sergio burned in 100% of the SAS golf threads right now.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Shrapnig posted:

Asking a guy to concede is just stupid but I guess since it's what Sergio has been doing in every big tournament in his career I can understand why you'd expect it.

:nyd:

You'll see. You'll all see.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Added some marquee tee times. The most popular groups will be almost back to back!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Josh Lyman posted:

Added some marquee tee times. The most popular groups will be almost back to back!

Depending which Tiger shows up, that could make for a pretty embarrassing Thursday/Friday for him given Day's recent play and Oostie's last Open at St. Andrews.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

Depending which Tiger shows up, that could make for a pretty embarrassing Thursday/Friday for him given Day's recent play and Oostie's last Open at St. Andrews.

It's the same grouping as Chambers Bay when the three of them were like 27 over par on Thursday, I'm hoping all three of them get off to better starts.

Also apparently Sergio has a new putting coach and is using Aimpoint Express. Reeks of desperation. Wonder if he'll show up with the overspin putter too? It's got front wheel drive!!

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

Also apparently Sergio has a new putting coach and is using Aimpoint Express. Reeks of desperation. Wonder if he'll show up with the overspin putter too? It's got front wheel drive!!

Also, not sure if anyone noticed, but they have a live stream up and running over at http://www.theopen.com/

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Jordan, my fellow Exe, you must win this. K good talk

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Did I read it right that the tee times for Saturday and Sunday are at like 7AM?

The Open was amazing because you got to watch everything at night, this is the polar opposite.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ty1990 posted:

Did I read it right that the tee times for Saturday and Sunday are at like 7AM?

The Open was amazing because you got to watch everything at night, this is the polar opposite.

Funny thing about time zones...

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Scotland is 5 hours ahead of East coast time. I get to watch it at normal times while I'm over here :cool:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

I will wager Adam Scott vs. a non-Titleist staffer. If they finish better, I will order a dozen of the balls they play. If Scott finishes better, to equalize costs, last year's Pro V1x that's currently on sale will do.

Nobody took you up on it.

I will.

Sergio Garcia vs. Adam Scott.

Let's go.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

Nobody took you up on it.

I will.

Sergio Garcia vs. Adam Scott.

Let's go.
Titleist vs TaylorMade showdown :getin:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 16, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Speaking of wagers, I was THIS close to depositing some money with Bovada to place bets on Spieth at 9/2 and Rickie at 14/1. Let's see if I made the right choice to skip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

GUYS

GUYS IT'S ALMOST TIME

• Locked thread