Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Suprfli6 posted:

I'm loving that Sergio and Tiger have the same odds. Do I smell another wager??

Hey man, I was looking forward to a little payday when Sergio nearly won the Players, and Tiger missed the cut while Sergio finished a respectable T18 at the US Open.

so I DUNNO MAN I DUNNO HOW THIS WHOLE BETTING THING WORKS ANYMORE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I assume you mean a non-Titleist ball player? Because Oosthuizen games the Pro V1x but uses Ping clubs.

As for Scott specifically, he's gone T25, 2, T3, and T5 in his last 4 Open starts. But in the years they've played at St. Andrews...

2000 - CUT
2005 - T34
2010 - T27

Any takers?!

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

sarehu posted:

Duval defeats Watson in a playoff.

I'll have what he's having.

Although, I'd rather see Tom Watson prevail. What a story that would be. Final Open appearance for the guy, and that would make for SIX Open championships.

I still wish ill upon Stewart Cink for beating Tom Watson in that playoff in 2009. Cink should have just bowed out and let potentially the greatest story line in the history of the sport play out.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Dude, it's not even close. He would have been the oldest major champion by 11 years, and 13 years older than Nicklaus when he won his 18th. Until somebody breaks Nicklaus's record or records the calendar grand slam, Watson winning the Open Championship one more time would have been the top.

Plus, who likes Stewart Cink anyway?

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Shrapnig posted:

Asking a guy to concede is just stupid but I guess since it's what Sergio has been doing in every big tournament in his career I can understand why you'd expect it.

:nyd:

You'll see. You'll all see.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

I will wager Adam Scott vs. a non-Titleist staffer. If they finish better, I will order a dozen of the balls they play. If Scott finishes better, to equalize costs, last year's Pro V1x that's currently on sale will do.

Nobody took you up on it.

I will.

Sergio Garcia vs. Adam Scott.

Let's go.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

poo poo, it just occurred to me that Sergio and Adam are on opposite sides of the draw, and Sergio's side is supposed to get much better weather. RIP.

:q:

Tiger just beating balls as fast as possible on the range. Looks like a man on a mission.

Or a weekend hacker who's running late to his tee time. We'll see in a bit!

I want to grow up to hit the ball like DJ. Is that too much to ask? So much power, and he makes it look so easy. I'll even take the shoddy putting.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Rumor was at the height of Tiger's dominance, he would free-hand a straight line on his ball while walking to the first tee.

He was just spotted using an alignment aid to draw his line. Pack it in, Tiger fans. He's done.

Edit - Getting NASCAR vibes out of Sergio's hat. I love that he's a company man, but it's a little busy, even for my garish tastes.

Edit 2 - I just can't get behind Hideki Matsuyama's swing tempo. The deliberate pause at the top is jarring to me. Almost like he's questioning his choice right before pulling the trigger.

Edit 3 - What the Christ, Tiger's sweating through his hat. What a range session.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jul 16, 2015

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Halo14 posted:

Let's go Jason!

Haha kinda looked like Tiger hit that fat. He also looks like poo poo, is he ill?

I wouldn't read too much into his sniffles. He's always sniffing and hocking up loogies on the course. But the crowd didn't applaud for his tee shot, that's true. I'm actually okay with a 120+ yardage in. Too many guys could get too cute.

Confirmed - 135 yards. And into the swilcan burn.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Halo14 posted:

There's like $30 worth of balls in that water!

Does anybody ever attempt to play out of it? Can you retrieve your ball after the hole is finished and use it on the next hole? I know he doesn't need it, but hey.

Edit - Since this will just be a stream of consciousness thread, if one player's poor play can affect a playing partner, Oost must not enjoy having to start play with Tiger for two straight majors lol.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Pretty amusing to see Johnson carry that hill by a mile, Matsuyama bounce off and over it, and Spieth to get rejected by it.

Edit - Tiger looking at 30 feet for par. My goodness.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Tiger ought to abandon his game plan and just rip driver on every hole.

If his internal dialogue has any volume, Tiger just screamed, "...FUUUUUUUCCCCKKKK" at about an 11.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
LOL

Johnson: "Too far."

Caddie: "...huh?"

Johnson: "Too far."

Johnson sounds bored, caddie sounds lost.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Halo14 posted:

Hit a loving driver Tiger you twat.

Irons only game, fats half his shots. Bold strategy.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Halo14 posted:

They were even saying how he's been trying out a new driver shaft and he has good confidence in it.

Exactly. It's hard to talk about how driver brings so much trouble in to play when Johnson is beating it out there with no problems.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Dottie Pepper: "Finally, something other than a long iron off the tee [for Tiger]."

Definite note of relief in her voice. I love Dottie.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Tiger, +2.

Tom Watson, -1.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

straight up brolic posted:

speith and dj are coming at eachothers throats right now

Let's keep it PG, please.

Tiger hoping to make his first par, Johnson rolling in the first eagle of the championship like he's bored.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I don't know who said it, but on ESPN, they showed some kid with his cap pulled all the way down over his face, being led around by the hand, looking completely lost.

Amidst laughter, somebody quipped, "You know, I sometimes feel like that, too. Especially after bogeying the first two holes."

:drat:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
DJ dropkicked his tee shot on the 6th, still flew the coffin bunkers at 271.

What a freakshow.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Halo14 posted:

You see Tiger, even if you hit it bad you're not miles away for your approach. Chin up mate.

Is he a featured grouping? They didn't show his cleanup for par on 3, haven't seen him since.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Halo14 posted:

Yeah those TM drivers sound weird most of the time anyway. Can't really tell what's happened. I like my Titleist, gives a satisfying crack if I get it right.

He 100% caught just a bit of ground right before the ball. Doesn't matter when you're swinging 120+ off the tee. He looked down, muttered, "drat it," then stepped on it before walking off.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Come on guys, don't fall asleep on me. Johnson two putts from the 9th fringe to get to -5. Tiger fails to get up and down on 7 to move to +4, one shot from "DFL."

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I would walk the course backwards. You'll see the course + many more groups instead of following just one or two groups like normal.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

Game on Kameh!

Not that I'm hoping for weather to ruin Scott, but Sergio was a little too steady-eddy for me in easy scoring conditions. Tomorrow is going to be a 10 hour torture session.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
:getin:

Edit for content - What's up with DJ? I didn't get to see coverage today.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

Come on Aussie!

Don't even try to play it cool. If you were able to see his approach, you probably shat your pants on that first hop short of the burn.

The day will be mine. :madmax:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Can't birdie them all if you don't birdie the first, Sergio.

Edit - ....yesssssssssss......

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
BBC needs to get their poo poo together. They keep teasing me by misnumbering Sergio's count on the second hole.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
So apparently it was actually not in the bunker? Two putt par. Okay SAS, y'all are the ones who need to get their poo poo together.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

DJExile posted:

Zach Johnson's presence is announced by air cannons.

Please respect Zach Johnson.

So true.

Garcia is keeping up with Scott. Waiting for someone to blink.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
So is that a 4 putt for Spieth?

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Garcia with an unfortunate bogey on that short par 4. Can't find a bunker off the tee with an iron, dude!

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
That's not a good place to be for Scott there.

And Baba Booey guy can get hosed.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Sergio... His putts haven't been arriving with much speed to spare. Need a touch more speed to hold their line. He's gonna have to get one back at that par 5 and play flawlessly the rest of the way.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Race to the bottom, Josh Lyman.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Haven't seen Garcia since his approach into 15.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I haven't seen Sergio in a long while. They even showed his amateur playing partner on 17. Not my boy though.

Edit - Must have made a bogey on 17. He's at -11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Good match, Lyman. :clint:

• Locked thread