Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Nagato posted:

chance of aliens exist is a+b+c+D+e+f+g but we dont se aliens??? what is wrong with maths

the earth is a zoo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
me + u + that alien = true luv

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

statistically im loving op in the butt

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Parallax Scroll posted:

statistically im loving op in the butt

in an unlimited universe he's also loving you in the butt

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

in an unlimited universe he's also loving you in the butt

whoa

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
i mean embracing the infinite universes infinite time paradigm it's impossible that you won't eventually gently caress your own butt

(lol if you can't already f yur own b)

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Necc0 posted:

no mention of the fermi paradox by page 2 wtf is wrong with you guys

i'm gettin a fermi in my underpants

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

chances are you like it too

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

Full Metal Jackass posted:

Spoiler: we aren't gonna find poo poo

That's still something

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
we're all just vibrating strings

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Moridin920 posted:

we're all just vibrating strings
Probably not no

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Strudel Man posted:

Probably not no

m theory is pretty cool though

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

Probably not no

b-b-but the data from LIGO is...pretty grainy! That m-might mean... something!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

m theory is pretty cool though
Yeah, well, so's norse mythology

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

sure aliens exist...but are they sexy????

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

numberoneposter posted:

sure aliens exist...but are they sexy????

[c]

echopraxia
May 22, 2015
Time is a flat titty

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

echopraxia posted:

Time is a flat titty

What's the analogy of the nipple?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
what are the statistics that aliens would exist in the same timeframe as humans?

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

You'd think that, but fermi paradox

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Fog Tripper posted:

what are the statistics that aliens would exist in the same timeframe as humans?

really good!

...anywhere even approaching the same place? really bad!

Un-l337-Pork posted:

You'd think that, but fermi paradox

there really is no paradox, or the answer to the paradox is 'we made bad assumptions'

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

The Protagonist posted:

there really is no paradox, or the answer to the paradox is 'we made bad assumptions'

Eh, I suppose. I guess only really a paradox if you expect to find star trek aliens -- that what you saying?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Early expectations had SETI and their ilk expecting to hear civilizations blasting out radio waves all over the place but it's all quiet on the 4π front.

Now we already see rumblings of long-distance communication phasing out old noisy methods for direct optical signaling and such, meaning in less than a century our whole civilization could go em-quiet. So the chances of listening in on someone in the short period we might even be able to hear them are drastically reduced just by the likelihood they won't be broadcasting like that very long.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
radio waves degrade rapidly anyway so our prospective range to hear anything intelligible is super low

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

radio waves degrade rapidly anyway so our prospective range to hear anything intelligible is super low

Yeah people tend to forget this.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

The Protagonist posted:

inventing hypothesis to resolve the paradox is why it's so fun

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
the real fermi paradox:

q = total number of cute kind girls that will never betray me
t = percentage of them alive right now in time
π = constant existence of a girl for me

science predicts that qtπ = 1 but why am i single?????

Your Rain
Nov 29, 2006
All those born beneath an angry star.
you should consider the time you're alive is basically 0 out of the infinite time scale and there is probably no aliens at this time

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Your Rain posted:

you should consider the time you're alive is basically 0 out of the infinite time scale and there is probably no aliens at this time
That is in fact accounted for in the drake equation, by way of the length of time for which we would expect a civilization to release radio signals into space

echopraxia
May 22, 2015

VendaGoat posted:

What's the analogy of the nipple?

Death

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Strudel Man posted:

That is in fact accounted for in the drake equation, by way of the length of time for which we would expect a civilization to release radio signals into space

specifically, radio waves playing Drake's 'Headlines'

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Necc0 posted:

inventing hypothesis to resolve the paradox is why it's so fun

hmm...

• we're completely alone in god's cruel apocalypse abyss
  • everybody is too far apart to notice or reach each other (it's this)
  • we've been found (by ancient autonomous robotic probes sending data back to the cooling gas pocket that once was their system of origin)
  • we've been found and quarantined (for entertainment/research, possible later invasion)
  • they created and subsequently hosed off to virtual space because the universe is a massive drag

what'd i miss?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

The Protagonist posted:

really good!

...anywhere even approaching the same place? really bad!

Aliens could realistically be looking at us from billions of light years away. Sadly, by the time the light/images got to them we no longer exist.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Your Rain posted:

Time only exists during the period I observe it. :colbert:

Nickelback Concert
Apr 28, 2015

Professor Shark posted:

like we won't ever meet them, but it's cool that they exist somewhere

this is true, right? i kind of just assumed based on math and science stuff i thought about

I meet them every morning at 7:00 a.m. in front of Home Depot.

echopraxia
May 22, 2015

Mozi posted:

specifically, radio waves playing Drake's 'Headlines'

The last sound in the heat-death ravaged wreck of the universe will be our post-human noncorporeal descendants listening to Marvin's room as they circle around the dying embers of brown dwarves for warmth and free energy shedding silent invisible tears

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Applewhite posted:

Yeah Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal is a good comic.

But the simulated universe with multiple levels thing doesn't hold up because each simulated universe would place an exponentially larger strain on the universe above. Even accounting for godlike futuristic computer technologies the math doesn't support us being a simulation.

yeah but like remember how nothing in our universe needs to exist until it's observed? fractals/noise algorithms are just sets of interacting formulas that take up practically no space at all and doing nothing interesting until you add a render function. through a renderer you have a virtual perspective giving you access to infinite scale and complexity from simple rules.

if you're a dumb retard then you've probably played minecraft so take that for example: the world is practically infinite (it's only not because of limits on the coordinate system I think?) and rezzed deterministically as you explore. only your changes to a block are stored: if you find a cool landmark and don't touch anything nothing is saved, but if you come back later it'll still be there. this huge world doesn't require huge disk space because it's just generated from a seed.

when i make a simulated universe to torture it will definitely work this way, so i dont see why ours wouldn't. that might also explain why physicists will never run out of weirder and weirder tiny particles to discover: if physics is top down in complexity instead of bottom up like everyone thinks then the harder you look the more poo poo you'll find, forever

all of this was revealed to me by a beautiful lady from neptune, telepathically, at the moment of orgasm. except the minecraft stuff which i probably read on a wiki

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

The Protagonist posted:

hmm...

• we're completely alone in god's cruel apocalypse abyss
  • everybody is too far apart to notice or reach each other (it's this)
  • we've been found (by ancient autonomous robotic probes sending data back to the cooling gas pocket that once was their system of origin)
  • we've been found and quarantined (for entertainment/research, possible later invasion)
  • they created and subsequently hosed off to virtual space because the universe is a massive drag

what'd i miss?

You got a decent amount of them. http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/05/fermi-paradox.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
OP is statistically a butt

• Locked thread