Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Couldn't decide whether to tag this with Computer or Drugs. I think we need a new tag for both.

Anyway, Google scientists have done something. I don't really understand but a computer made this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyxSerkkP4o

I can't find a good explanation of this poo poo but enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echopraxia
May 22, 2015
Hastur
I'll see you in fair Carcosa

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

I can't find a good explanation of this poo poo but enjoy.

you feed an image into a computer and ask it to look for patterns it recognizes, like buildings animals faces whatever. it enhances those features, and then you feed the resulting image back in and run the same process over again. after this happens a bunch of times you get enhancements/visualizations of what the computer defines as whatever you were looking for

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Basically it's a dogfinder.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Enter the new realm of memes

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
thanks, now i dont have to blast my brain with serotonin for these effects

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
they made a program that puts animal faces over human faces

truly astounding

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

gnarlyhotep posted:

truly astounding

FurryVision

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
you have the Fagsight

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Blue Train posted:

you feed an image into a computer and ask it to look for patterns it recognizes, like buildings animals faces whatever. it enhances those features, and then you feed the resulting image back in and run the same process over again. after this happens a bunch of times you get enhancements/visualizations of what the computer defines as whatever you were looking for

the loving white noise ones are incredible

easily confused with creativity, but then what is creativity except noise in a neural network?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
So all those Nintendo cartridge glitches I saw when the cart had dust on it or was bumped are art. Huh.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

echopraxia posted:

Hastur
I'll see you in fair Carcosa

temba
his arms wide

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

gnarlyhotep posted:

So all those Nintendo cartridge glitches I saw when the cart had dust on it or was bumped are art. Huh.

sorry 'bout yer brain

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

The Protagonist posted:

sorry 'bout yer brain

oh, that's ok it's not your fault

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
Google writes a program to stick random eyeballs and dog faces in things and everybody goes apeshit

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Inevitable posted:

Google writes a program to stick random eyeballs and dog faces in things and everybody goes apeshit

google basically has a blank check to do whatever higher ups in the company think is neat at the time and lol if you're not brutally jealous of that fact

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
it's stress test software to test a program's ability to track, identify, and find matching objects for a random object. probably part of their bigger AI projects

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

Inevitable posted:

Yeah this is undergrad toy image processing fuckaround poo poo. Unimpressed. I like those evolutionary geometric image matching thingamashits better.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
What is the "correct" website to do these anyway? I searched and found one and tried to Deep Dream goatse but it's been going for like 3 days and nothing has been produced so far.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Robo Reagan posted:

google basically has a blank check to do whatever higher ups in the company think is neat at the time and lol if you're not brutally jealous of that fact

On the contrary, I think they will eventually hit on something good. They already have done a lot of really great stuff, the street-level mapping of most of the civilized world is amazing. This on the other hand is something that a college grad would do for recognition on his CV.

Sabel beat me to it :argh:

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Photomosaics are also cute toys.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
computers making art is pretty neat but hasn't happened yet. when a computer learns organically to understand te concept of "art" and then designates a pattern "art" of its own voilition (instead of just spitting out patterns and having a human decide which ones are art) then we will really be in the future

we will have two computers arguing about what art is and isn't, one computer makes a mirror and calls it art, another computer calls the first one a pretentious idiot, the first one tells the second one his concept of "art" is too small, and then we will finally have achieved our dream of getting artificial intelligence to imitate rich pricks

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

gnarlyhotep posted:

On the contrary, I think they will eventually hit on something good. They already have done a lot of really great stuff, the street-level mapping of most of the civilized world is amazing. This on the other hand is something that a college grad would do for recognition on his CV.

that and google earth owns really hard

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

OMGVBFLOL posted:

computers making art is pretty neat but hasn't happened yet. when a computer learns organically to understand te concept of "art" and then designates a pattern "art" of its own voilition (instead of just spitting out patterns and having a human decide which ones are art) then we will really be in the future

we will have two computers arguing about what art is and isn't, one computer makes a mirror and calls it art, another computer calls the first one a pretentious idiot, the first one tells the second one his concept of "art" is too small, and then we will finally have achieved our dream of getting artificial intelligence to imitate rich pricks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnzlbyTZsQY

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

gnarlyhotep posted:

truly astounding
Its not just animal faces, you could make it put dicks all over pictures too.

gnarlyhotep posted:

Its the stress release portion of an actual useful tool they use to judge reverse image search algorithm and data-bank robustness.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

lol

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i want to play this map

what game doesnt matter

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Al Cowens posted:

evolutionary geometric image matching thingamashits

link?

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
In my opinion, the first measure of true computer generated art will be in music and not the visual arts.

I say this because I find it hard to believe a current AI could generate anything like Bach or especially Chopin. Music that evokes a deep emotional reaction.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

:stare:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

gary oldmans diary posted:

i want to play this map

what game doesnt matter

no don't you see that's just nintendo glitch noise

gnarlyhotep posted:

In my opinion, the first measure of true computer generated art will be in music and not the visual arts.

I say this because I find it hard to believe a current AI could generate anything like Bach or especially Chopin. Music that evokes a deep emotional reaction.

That's kind of here. The music isn't evocative on that level, not even close, but people can't tell if it's made by a person or not.

Oh these. Yeah, s'pretty cool but the deep dream white noise stuff is better imo

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Another AI challenge is can we make AIs that are as dumb as humans? This is another reason Portal 2 is so awesome.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
I love computer graphic funnies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPAZvxmLfcQhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLKnCeeAW48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfelqZpapZAhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiARsQSlzDc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvUk8PCXa4E

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Billy Jack-ed up :stare:

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Al Cowens posted:

I love computer graphic funnies.

You forgot the best one