Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

hah We need some sort of William T. Sherman smiley.

:sherman:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

:agreed: OP, saw a pickup truck with MA plates and a Confederate flag sticker on the way to Cape Cod for the Fourth and shook my head at someone's sense of racism overpowering their sense of good ol' Independence Day patriotism

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

You need to find a way to get your message out to dipshits in central Indiana with 4x4 trucks, but especially diesels. Seems as if diesels require a confederate flag either plastered on the back window or flying in the bed on the opposite side from the obnoxious, sooty stack.

Can't wait to see if this causes new rules for trucks with actual flags in the bed at local high school parking lots and how many parents come to school ready for a fistfight with the principal if they are banned. I mean little Johnny just wants to drive his shiny, new 4x4 truck from the burbs to school flying the Confederate flag to show his "redneck pride".

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

burritolingus posted:

Anyone flying the Confederate flag is a loving idiot.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Dead Gay Romans posted:

What is with all the loving morons who were born and raised in a Union state flying loving Confederate flags and pretending it has something to do with their "heritage"?

Like if I see a guy from loving Massachusetts driving around with the Stars and Bars, I can only assume he is even more racist then any Southern could be, because that's pretty much the only reason a Northerner would fly one; as a massive gently caress you to black people without even the flimsy guise of historical pride or whatever.

I'm seeing this poo poo all over and it's loving baffling. Dudes whose ancestors loving fought and died for the Union flying the god drat flag that killed their great, great uncle or whatever.

Share you favorite stories of amazingly racist cognitive dissonance! Does this poo poo happen in Europe?

just living in the north is a huge gently caress you to black ppl OP. they're not really allowed to live there except in ghettos, so its not surprising so many of the white northerners are racist... makes you think

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Moridin920 posted:

would gently caress the poo poo out of this dirty southern girl tho

e: wait SWEDISH fuckin BAIT AND SWITCH wtf still would but drat

lol the fact that she wasnt a 300 pound heffer didnt give it away?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

gently caress the ROW posted:

just living in the north is a huge gently caress you to black ppl OP. they're not really allowed to live there except in ghettos, so its not surprising so many of the white northerners are racist... makes you think

people keep going on about segregation in the north but I dont see black folk living in the trailer park

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

gently caress the ROW posted:

I've noticed that southerners are always really eager to expound upon how if you think about it <X thing> is more racist than the South

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

loquacius posted:

I've noticed that southerners are always really eager to expound upon how if you think about it <X thing> is more racist than the South

it's true, they may drag black people behind trucks in the south but on the west coast we live in *different neighborhoods* which is worse really

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
I can't wait until Clarence Thomas votes that it's Constitutional to fly the Confederate flag and Scalia gets to write on defending the 1st Amendment. That's gonna be loving awesome.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Not to belabor the point but this is the stars and bars, you ignorant Yankee swine

This is the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia- :heritage: -except it was actually square

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

burritolingus posted:

Anyone flying the Confederate flag is a loving idiot.

this really cannot be quoted enough

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Frackie Robinson posted:

Not to belabor the point but this is the stars and bars, you ignorant Yankee swine

This is the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia- :heritage: -except it was actually square
South Carolina gets owned by your technicality, they hung the wrong flag! Knowledge bombs in this thread

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

stars and bars, battlefag

same poo poo differetn stank

burn them all

kill johnny reb

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Frackie Robinson posted:

actually that's the first confederate national flag; the second (the "Stainless Banner") was the flag of the Army of Northern Virginia on a white field; when they realized it looked too much like a flag of surrender (lol) the third national flag added a red bar to the fly. the flag used in the smiley and which has become the most popular version of the ANV's flag is the naval jack.

way to be almost totally off base with the flag you've welded your loving ego to lmfao

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
jfc even taint reaper had this poo poo straight, you have no excuse

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

loquacius posted:

when you think about it, the north should be thanking the south for seceding and thereby ending de jure slavery outside the context of the prison system decades before it probably would have ended otherwise

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
who cares, flags are dumb in general

some are cool in patterns and stuff, but people dying for symbols and stuff and what they represent is general retardation and a backwards step in human evolution

they basically represent imaginary lines drawn on a map so there u go

gently caress all flags in general meaning more than just pretty colors

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Lastgirl posted:

some are cool in patterns and stuff, but people dying for symbols and stuff and what they represent is general retardation and a backwards step in human evolution

lotta words to say "hi I'm a millenial"

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

lotta words to say "hi I'm a millenial"

hi im a millenial, '89 here.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Hey I have an idea, lets enslave the South.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
Dear GBS, today I saw a colors arranged to resemble a bad flag. I whispered 'help help' and started trembling as hours upon hours of history lessons came flooding back to me. I had slept through most of them, but it had something to do with the bad flag, anyway.

There is no way the person responsible for this should not be hanged until dead.

No one would ever take up this flag just to provoke the fury of a sensitive soul like mine, would they?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

The Snark posted:

Dear GBS, today I saw a colors arranged to resemble a bad flag. I whispered 'help help' and started trembling as hours upon hours of history lessons came flooding back to me. I had slept through most of them, but it had something to do with the bad flag, anyway.

There is no way the person responsible for this should not be hanged until dead.

No one would ever take up this flag just to provoke the fury of a sensitive soul like mine, would they?

Nice straw man

E: I want to say, "Well, I'll just put on my totally-benign Hindu religious symbol and walk around a Jewish neighborhood, if they get mad at a swastika it's their own fault" but I see from your avatar text that you're dumb about that too.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 14, 2015

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

lol at least stand proud and say something about black people and crime statistics

all the closet cases going "heh, why do you care about a flag" is unbecoming of the rabble rousing south no wonder the liberals are spanking y'all

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Dead Gay Romans posted:

Share you favorite stories of amazingly racist cognitive dissonance! Does this poo poo happen in Europe?

Yeah, there are Slavs that have hard-ons for the Third Reich. Although even during the war, Croatia, Slovakia and Bulgaria allied with Germany.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janusz_Korwin-Mikke This guy was born in Nazi-occupied Warsaw yet has claimed Hitler was unaware of the Holocaust. OK, maybe not a full-on defence of Hitler but still.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famine_Song This song was originally an anti-Irish song in Scotland. As horrible as it was, it wasn't as moronic as Northern Irish Protestants (many of whom are of Scottish descent) singing it against Irish people in Ireland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrol_36 Israeli neo-Nazis.

Is it really any surprise that racists are dumb?

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Lastgirl posted:

this is some cutting-edge thinking, brah!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

opus111 posted:

this is some cutting-edge thinking, brah!

too forward, too progressive!

what would the flag of mars look like when humans land on it tho??

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

There was an Indian man who joined the BNP (racist party in the UK) because he didn't like Muslims.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/bnp-signs-its-first-nonwhite-member-1824108.html

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Lastgirl posted:

too forward, too progressive!

what would the flag of mars look like when humans land on it tho??

Probably the US flag with a picture of Mars where the stars are.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Benny Harvey posted:

Probably the US flag with a picture of Mars where the stars are.

thatd own probably

imo since we live in the future it should be neon colors and designed by Coogi

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

Pththya-lyi posted:

Nice straw man

E: I want to say, "Well, I'll just put on my totally-benign Hindu religious symbol and walk around a Jewish neighborhood, if they get mad at a swastika it's their own fault" but I see from your avatar text that you're dumb about that too.

That it was, it is a straw man. Quite possibly! Someone doing something as stupid as that shouldn't be killed though, and getting this upset over a flag is pretty drat silly whichever side of the argument you fall on.

Actually, I don't particularly care if it's never seen again in public (but gently caress you if you would purge it from museums and historical media) and I want the old Dukes of Hazard General Lee painted Navy Blue with flames going up the sides and renamed the General Sherman- but all of these people getting so loving excited over attacking a flag is the most pathetic thing I've seen since Gamergate started.

Let the idiots fly their flag and help ensure no one forgets the idiocy of the past, it only ensures the South will NEVER rise again.

Alternatively, you can wank yourselves off over how good a person you are to hate a bit of flappy fabric.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

*wants to be the black man fulfilling all those white women with white guilt fantasies*

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I like reading Somethingawful dot com but lol if letters on a screen make you mad

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

The Snark posted:

Actually, I don't particularly care if it's never seen again in public (but gently caress you if you would purge it from museums and historical media) and I want the old Dukes of Hazard General Lee painted Navy Blue with flames going up the sides and renamed the General Sherman- but all of these people getting so loving excited over attacking a flag is the most pathetic thing I've seen since Gamergate started.

the only people jacking themselves off over people seriously wanting to purge the flag Stalinist style are right-wing media outlets playing to their audience and working them into a froth

I don't hate the flag because I'm a "sensitive soul," I hate it because they're the deadliest enemy America ever faced in a war and started the war to perpetuate and spread racist slavery, they're a loving High Fantasy villain empire for God's sake

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Lastgirl posted:

thatd own probably

imo since we live in the future it should be neon colors and designed by Coogi

So, Pride flag with Mars in the corner? Or Mars in the middle of Goatse on top of the Pride flag.

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

the only people jacking themselves off over people seriously wanting to purge the flag Stalinist style are right-wing media outlets playing to their audience and working them into a froth

They should thank you for playing into their hands then, I suppose.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

I don't hate the flag because I'm a "sensitive soul," I hate it because they're the deadliest enemy America ever faced in a war and started the war to perpetuate and spread racist slavery

B-b-b-b-but what about States' rights?

All joking aside I'm glad the decision to take it down is being made by the states rather than Washington. Marriage equality should have been the same imo.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Benny Harvey posted:

So, Pride flag with Mars in the corner? Or Mars in the middle of Goatse on top of the Pride flag.

both :heysexy:

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

I don't hate the flag because I'm a "sensitive soul," I hate it because they're the deadliest enemy America ever faced in a war and started the war to perpetuate and spread racist slavery, they're a loving High Fantasy villain empire for God's sake

What purpose does hating the flag serve? How does it make the world a better place? The Confederacy is dead. They WERE a deadly enemy, they WERE drat near a High Fantasy villain empire but there is no one left alive who served in it or fought against it.

Now, it is only a history lesson best remembered so that it never need be repeated.

Let the foolish be that reminder.

Really, if you wanted to be spiteful to a slightly more productive degree- you'd keep them from discarding it even once it finally sinks in what precisely the flag represents.

The Snark fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

The Snark posted:

What purpose does hating the flag serve? How does it make the world a better place? The Confederacy is dead. They WERE a deadly enemy, they WERE drat near a High Fantasy villain empire but there is no one left alive who served in it or fought against it.

Now, it is only a history lesson best remembered so that it never need be repeated.

Let the foolish be that reminder.

let me turn it around on you then: what purpose does embracing the flag serve? if it's so culturally and historically inert, why is it such a huge wrench for it to be removed from public spaces and retired to museums and textbooks?

I'm also tired of this argument that history becomes irrelevant because nobody is left alive who experienced it. most Americans are, at most, only a couple generations seperated from someone who fought in the war, died in the war, or were enslaved during the war. 150 years, historically speaking, is not an impossibly vast expanse of time - there are chairs in the United Kingdom older than this country. just because you yourself have chosen or just are alienated from your family's or community's history doesn't mean everyone else is.

• Locked thread