Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

The Snark posted:

The leaders didn't really bother to lie to each other, but I continue to doubt they were inclined to be completely honest with Johnny Confederate grunts.

Er, the cornerstone speech wasn't some kind of secret back-room agreement. It was a speech. It was directed at the masses and intended to move them into action and it succeeded.

The Snark posted:

I don't know, maybe some problems can't be solved with wholesale slaughter. I wonder, how do you feel about the Middle East? Glass it or no?

nuclear weapons lack utility and I would prefer that they all be decommissioned. to answer the first question, the question of how to "solve" the middle east is largely one of logistics, I don't think you can really argue that wholesale slaughter won't be necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I'm not trying to soft pedal slavery being the reason for secession, it was 100%. I am arguing that when irreconcilable differences arise, whether they be about slavery, tarrifs, gas tax or whatever, it should be the right of states to withdraw from the union that they entered of their own free will if its citizens vote to do so.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
vols bitch

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Dead Gay Romans posted:

Guy living in Gettysburg flying the Confederate flag outside his trailer spotted.

Last time i went there you'd almost think the south won the battle. there were confederate flags every goddamned where compared to union flags.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Frackie Robinson posted:

I'm not trying to soft pedal slavery being the reason for secession, it was 100%. I am arguing that when irreconcilable differences arise, whether they be about slavery, tarrifs, gas tax or whatever, it should be the right of states to withdraw from the union that they entered of their own free will if its citizens vote to do so.

that is so loving stupid. take a minute to think about the future of a representative republic whose constituent jurisdictions have the right to dissolve it if they don't get their way on any particular issue they deem important enough. I'm not going to explain to you why it's a bad idea, if you can't figure it out then just kill yourself tia.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Seems like a forum full of people who hate America would have more respect for the guys that came closest to taking it down.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
while America is extremely ftl I'm a law student and an American soldier and neither of those parts of me are inclined to respect people who think murdering me is a legitimate way to make a political statement

Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

Frackie Robinson posted:

Should Billy Joe McMeth and his large extended family of the Sunny Views Trailer Park be able to secede from the state of Kentucky because they all care so deeply about their sacred institution of child marriage that it causes irreconcilable differences between them and the society they live in?

Also,

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

that is so loving stupid. take a minute to think about the future of a representative republic whose constituent jurisdictions have the right to dissolve it if they don't get their way on any particular issue they deem important enough. I'm not going to explain to you why it's a bad idea, if you can't figure it out then just kill yourself tia.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Ramsus posted:

It was a long time ago and none of you were there. Remember, history is written by the winners
History can be rewritten by those with an agenda.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Scalding Coffee posted:

History can be rewritten by those with an agenda.

lol at the conspiracy theorist who doesn't think we've always been at war with Eurasia. :jerkbag:

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
The American Civil War is one of those rare cases where, because of the failure of Reconstruction, history was written by the losers

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
"history is written by the victors" is something only people who haven't done any serious study of history say

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Frackie Robinson posted:

it should be the right of states to withdraw from the union that they entered of their own free will if its citizens vote to do so

Hindsight being 20/20 we really should have just let the south secede. It's not like the former confederate states really contribute anything and have been nothing but a net drag on society.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Geoj posted:

Hindsight being 20/20 we really should have just let the south secede. It's not like the former confederate states really contribute anything and have been nothing but a net drag on society.

Natural resources, electricity, agriculture, soldiers.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dead Gay Romans posted:

What is with all the loving morons who were born and raised in a Union state flying loving Confederate flags and pretending it has something to do with their "heritage"?

They let people born in the south move into northern states, now. Just FYI.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

burritolingus posted:

Natural resources, electricity, agriculture, soldiers.

All of which can be obtained elsewhere. gently caress the south.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Geoj posted:

All of which can be obtained elsewhere. gently caress the south.

Yeah I mean if you're down with invading other countries sure.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Knight posted:

The American Civil War is one of those rare cases where, because of the failure of Reconstruction, history was written by the losers

nah it was still written by the winners

the military campaign was only the first phase

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

burritolingus posted:

Yeah I mean if you're down with invading other countries sure.

Hasn't this effectively been our foreign policy since the post war era anyways?

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

burritolingus posted:

Anyone flying the Confederate flag is a loving idiot.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'm in WI and I saw a guy in a huge pickup with a confederate flag on the left rear, and an US flag on the right rear roar on past me.

So which country are you for, I don't get it.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

comes along bort posted:

nah it was still written by the winners

the military campaign was only the first phase

Don't forget about revisionist, white guilt ridden academics. They write a lot of books and poo poo no one will ever read.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

burritolingus posted:

Anyone flying the Confederate flag is a loving idiot.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

the worst thing about jackson's presidency was richard lawrence's weapon maintenance

Jackson still would have beaten him half to death with his cane, you piece of poo poo.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

rakovsky maybe posted:

Posters Who Capitalize Every Word are loving Idiots

genius!

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
some people really like the dukes of hazard :shrug:

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

GORDON posted:

They let people born in the south move into northern states, now. Just FYI.

Dead Gay Romans posted:

What is with all the loving morons who were born and raised in a Union state flying loving Confederate flags and pretending it has something to do with their "heritage"?

What's it like being illiterate?

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what

"history is written by the victors" is something only people who haven't done any serious study of history say

It's also what every Nazi apologists say.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

because slavery was not the issue in the revolutionary war. if the american colonies had rebelled against the british specifically because they were afraid they'd have to give up slavery otherwise, then I would probably feel the same way about the founding fathers as I do, say, andrew jackson.

True but does it not make a mockery of the causus belli of the Americans?

Frackie Robinson posted:

gently caress that poo poo. Human rights trump states rights and abuses of human rights are always a legitimate reason to start a war whether with a secessionist state or another sovereign government (at least in principal, most of the time the ensuing snafu makes it not worth it).

I haven't done any serious study of history but is there not some truth to it?

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
OP is a flag.

salty fries make me cry
Oct 3, 2007

~~i'm outside ur window~~
~throwin bricks at teh moon~
Surprisingly haven't seen any more than the normal amount of confederate flags here in Vermont.

I live in the lovely, heroin-addled, redneck part of Vermont, too, not the nice liberal part.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Benny Harvey posted:

True but does it not make a mockery of the causus belli of the Americans?

It does not, not unless you're fond of presentism. In the late 1700's the enlightenment was not a foregone conclusion, it was a current event. A hundred years later, most developed countries had already banned slavery. It seemed inevitable that the United States would as well. The confederacy was created specifically as a backlash against this change.

Benny Harvey posted:

I haven't done any serious study of history but is there not some truth to it?

Some, particularly in antiquity when decisively losing a war sometimes meant being literally eradicated, having your libraries burned, your leaders executed, and your people enslaved, EG Carthage. Even moreso with regard to societies that lacked or did not value literacy. There are still lots of exceptions, but antiquity is not my area of expertise. The Jews would be a good example, though. As would be the losers of a lot, but not all of, Rome's civil wars.

Napoleon wrote his memoirs from exile. Hitler wrote Mein Kampf while serving a prison sentence for his first coup attempt. Lots of other Nazi leaders wrote their accounts of the war from prison. The Italian Wars, the Austrian Wars, the Wars of the Roses, the Hundred Years' War, the Thirty Years' War, the Great Northern War, the the Franco-Prussian War, and, hurr, the American Civil War, it is trivial to find accounts written by both sides of all of these conflicts.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Luvcow posted:

some people really like the dukes of hazard :shrug:

I liked the Dukes of Hazzard when I was 6

I also liked The A-Team but I don't drive a van

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

FuturePastNow posted:

I liked the Dukes of Hazzard when I was 6
We didn't watch those pinche gueros in my house when we were kids. My mom said the Confederate flag on the top of their car meant they were in the Klan and hated black people, Latinos, and Native Americans.

Pinche gueros was actually how we referred to that show in my house growing up.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Frackie Robinson posted:

This is why it is excellent to execute traitors and Andrew Johnson was one of the worst presidents in history.

Also you should be imprisoned unironically

Dead Gay Romans
Mar 19, 2015

Pitbull enthusiast

Irradiation posted:

What's it like being illiterate?

Your mother never cared that I couldn't read, nether should you son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

burritolingus posted:

No, when your "heroic deed" is ultimately in service to probably one of the worst causes imaginable, like the enslavement of an entire race of people or genocide, whether you're doing it for those reasons or not, it really underscores your "heroic deed" and makes you sort of not a hero 'cuz you're fighting on the side of the baddies regardless of your personal reasons to do so.

If a soldier jumps on a grenade to save his buddies, he's a hero, but if it was a Nazi soldier saving a bunch of other Nazi soldiers, no, not so much really a hero then, even if he was "just following orders."

Obviously you have never been a soldier, because a soldier jumping on a grenade is heroic in any context, regardless of the politics of the greater conflict. Those saved soldiers didn't stop being people just because they were nazis, or french resistance members, or Swedish commandos, or anything else.

Although grenading the nazis wasn't a bad thing, so, you know...it's all subjective

BLARGHLE fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 12, 2015

• Locked thread