Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Applewhite posted:

Jared Leto is: Heath Ledger as the Joker.

"Wanna know how I got these scars corrective braces? My father, was a drinker...and an orthodontist."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

in the suicide squad comics there is a man who is also a shark

A giant wacky hyperviolent manshark who also spouts memes

Kind've surprised he wasn't included in the movie. Kids loves memes!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

midnightclimax posted:

this is too dark for me

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/adjust-monitor-brightness-contrast

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

fyodor posted:

hey that's a monster magnet song wtf

I'm guessing he wanted to call the character 'Slut Machine' but his editor said no.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phobic Nest posted:

"Getting people to act against their own self-interest is what I do for a living."

This is actually 100% correct but it was the director talking about movie audiences

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CJacobs posted:

Hancock was a good movie imo and even though the "twist" was dumb I thought it was a good take on the "super hero who just wants to be a regular guy but the world + his conscience won't let him" cliche

I will probably also enjoy this movie because I have low standards, if it's good I'll genuinely enjoy it, if DAMAGED Joker is terrible I will just laugh at it and still enjoy it

Monkey Fracas posted:

lazy drunk with superpowers is a good movie pitch I think

try it again Hollywood, please

The original pitch for Hancock was an incredibly dark movie called "Tonight He Comes" which ends with him going on a rampage and murdering dozens of police and trying to rape a woman but Hollywood wasn't quite ready for grimdark superhero poo poo back then so they turned it into a wacky comedy. I hope everyone enjoyed the surprise new ending to the film, it took them almost a decade of rewrites to come up with that!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Head posted:

I will have an honest crack at this: Harley Quin, Diablo, Dr. Boomerang, Killer Crocodile, Deadshot, Katana, Joker, Enchantress. How did I do?

You missed The Other Guy With A Gun and Third Guy With A Gun

The guy on the far left has the super villain ability of "is good with ropes" and the guy in the middle has the supervillain ability of "was in the military", if you need a clue in guessing their identities

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Applewhite posted:

Wait, is Will Smith supposed to be Slade?

Naw he's Deadshot, not Deathstroke.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Germstore posted:

I'm confused. I thought Deathstroke was Wade Wilson.

I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Woodrow WIlson

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zzulu posted:

whats skullguys ability

Can someone give me a breakdown on who those characters in that lineup are. I know of killer croc and Katana so far

But who's ethnic guy with gun on the far left, guy in trenchcoat next to him, weirdo lady with a crescent moon on her head and mr.military man in the middle??

From left to right, their names and their special abilities:

Slipknot: has unbreakable ropes
Boomerang: has boomerangs
Enchantress: can cast magic spells
Katana: samurai
Rick Flag: fighter pilot military guy
Harley Quinn: hangs out with the Joker
Deadshot: expert sniper
Killer Croc: super strong, invulnerable skin
El Diablo: can control fire

Yeah some of those sound slightly more useful than others

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Victis posted:

Is it ever explained why anyone chooses to work with or for the Joker?

Why would anyone choose to become a supervillain at all? "Oh hey I invented a machine that can shoot freeze rays ... I could patent it and make millions of dollars in the refrigeration industry or I could use it to rob convenience stores and get punched in the head by Batman. Hmmmmm. HMMMMM."
"Oh hey I'm really good at throwing boomerangs ... I'm going to make myself a costume and fight guys with super powers who can punch through walls!"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Applewhite posted:

Harley is the single biggest turn off to me about the movie, and let the record show that I am among the most prominent cheesecake fans in GBS.

Yeah it's a travesty that they shoehorned in a newish popular character and passed over classic Suicide Squad members like Sportsmaster or Clock King or Big Sir (whose super power is that he's literally a giant retard)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Applewhite posted:

Sportsmaster would have been a better choice, IMO.
Would watch a superhero movie where a guy throws a football straight through another guy.

Sportsmaster is loving amazing.

He wears a hankie over his face and he will fly fish you to death and then escape on his rocket skis

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Say Nothing posted:

I'm just going to post Harley Quinn.
Just because.

Sure, some Harley Quinn cosplay looks like that.

But most Harley Quinn cosplay looks like this:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Young Freud posted:

This would have worked if they had gone for a Guardians Of The Galaxy route with this film. I'm not even sure why they have such a grimdark movie with a cast of unknown characters. I'm betting that the reason it's being made is because it's going to be more of a Joker movie than any of these characters (excluding Harley).

If the Suicide Squad were all rear end in a top hat wisecracking smartasses who were forced to work together even though they could barely tolerate each other (like the Guardians of the Galaxy) it could be an awesome fun movie but DC don't seem interested in making awesome fun movies.

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpu6yPAFHrs He's not making that up, either. It's real, it's made by a lot of the old animated-series/JLA people, and it's dumb as hell.

I don't think she shows up in the movie, though. Pretty sure she's dead after that.

The other two shorts they made to hype this up don't mesh with this one at all. DarkWonderwoman just likes to have sex and is sort of snarky. DarkSuperman isn't even all that dark. He might kill a person if it looks like there's no other way, but he's pretty sorry about it and doesn't do it because he wants the blood inside them.

Nah, DarkSuperman kills the gently caress out of all sorts of people in the movie and doesn't feel the slightest remorse. "Oh you're a terrorist?" /snaps neck
Also in this version he wasn't raised by the Kents in Kansas but by Mexican immigrants (he's an illegal alien, get it?) so he's not so keen on all that "Truth, Justice and the American Way" stuff.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

burritolingus posted:

Remember when they cast Stallone as the Mask oh wait no they weren't idiots they gave that to Jim Carrey and he had a ball doing it and everyone had a good time seeing it.

But then they made a sequel and we can't ever risk anything like that happening ever again because JESUS loving CHRIST JUST LOOK AT IT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4e2EBYu3l0

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

burritolingus posted:

Seth Rogen should be Batman in the next Batman.

James Franco for Robin.

Just think of all the Superhero movies we nearly had

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEXyNl8OaV0

The fact that we had Michael Keaton play Bruce Wayne/Batman in the 1989 movie is still amazing but he wasn't their first pick:

quote:

Parallel to the Superman casting, a who's who of Hollywood top stars were considered for the role of Batman, including Mel Gibson, Kevin Costner, Charlie Sheen, Tom Selleck and Bill Murray. Burton was pressured by Warner Bros. to cast an obvious action movie star, and had approached Pierce Brosnan, but he had no interest in playing a comic book character. Burton offered Ray Liotta, then an upcoming actor, a chance to audition after having completed Something Wild, but Liotta declined, a decision he regrets. Willem Dafoe, whom was falsely reported to be considered for the Joker, had actually been considered for Batman early in development.

quote:

Tim Curry, David Bowie, John Lithgow and James Woods were considered for the Joker. Burton wanted to cast Brad Dourif, but the studio refused. Robin Williams lobbied hard for the part.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 16, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

burritolingus posted:

Bill Murray could have been a good Bruce Wayne.

Bill Murray as Batman and David Bowie as the Joker. I can't even imagine what it would have been like.

Also if anyone is still wondering why movie studios keep loving up certain iconic superhero characters they should watch this Kevin Smith clip if they haven't seen it already, it pretty much explains everything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo2KB1dEDdk

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jul 16, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Germstore posted:

Why is Angela in the GotG comic? She looks like a lost traveler from a parallel universe of super edgy poo poo.

That's because she is a lost traveler from a parallel universe of super edgy poo poo.

Neil Gaiman was guest writer on one issue of Spawn and co-created the character with Todd McFarlane under the understanding that they would share ownership of the character but McFarlane later tried to gently caress him over and deny him any of the profits from the collected reprints of that issue amongst a bunch of other shady bullshit. Gaiman took him to court and won (and donated the money from that to charity) and in a later private settlement he gained full ownership of that character. He then immediately sold it to Marvel (allegedly for just $1) as the ultimate "gently caress you" to McFarlane.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Applewhite posted:

Except for Winter Soldier, Marvel's latest films have all fallen a little flat for me, especially Age of Ultron.

I'm gonna go see Ant Man tomorrow, let's see how their latest offering fares.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

burritolingus posted:

Seth Rogen should be Batman in the next Batman.

Seth Rogen should be digitally inserted into all the previous Batmans as well. gently caress, we've had the technology to achieve this since Forrest Gump and we've just been sitting on our hands all this time.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gatekeeper posted:

whoah forgot all about rogen's green hornet. was it his fault that movie was so forgettable?

There's a lot of people to blame for that lovely film but most of the blame has to be put on Rogen since he starred in it, co-wrote it and co-produced it.

Gatekeeper posted:

at the time i remember thinking he was good in the role but the film itself was unfortunately boring. funny guys being super is cool (the ironman is a good example, or barry lyndon in the film barry lyndon) but the story still has to be not dumb. seth rogen is definitely a funny enough dude even if his particular brand of rambunctious judaism is a little played.

I just looked up the history of the Green Hornet film and the poo poo that made it onto the screens was the result of almost 20 years of Hollywood dickwaving development bullshit. George Clooney was originally signed to star in it, then they wanted Greg Kinnear, then they went for Mark Wahlberg, then it went quiet for a bit, then in 2003 they were trying to find a car company to buy product placement rights on the "hero car" and help develop the script (they didn't even have a script or a director or a lead actor at this point, they just wanted to nail down that sweet product placement cash before they started in on any of that less important stuff), then they signed Kevin Smith to write it and he wanted Jake Gyllenhaal to star in it, then someone said "Just hand all this poo poo over to Seth Rogen" and four years later the film finally came out.

Oh and Nic Cage very nearly ended up playing the main villain but dropped out when he saw that Seth Rogen was taking the script in a "different direction" than what he was comfortable with. You know a film is in a lot of loving trouble when Nic Cage goes "Eh, you just keep all this cash, I'll save my dignity and wait for something better." :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SaltLick posted:

i would like new swole dave chappelle to be a fun goofy superhero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Dv83BM_5w

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

boom boom boom posted:

break out the color swatches boys, we have a potential case of "insufficient blackness"

Please print out and keep this handy guide for future reference

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ROFLburger posted:

:stonk:

that is one stupid looking apocalypse. apocalypse is supposed to be an imposing, menacing mother fucker, this guy looks like a turkey

He looks like poo poo. The original character design is also pretty awful and would be a pain in the rear end for the costume/effects team but this guy fuckin' nailed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPU9k2xfZRw

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dapper Dan posted:

did someone seriously bring out the paper bag test in this thread. for fucks sake

Nope

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Madcosby posted:

Ive never seen a photo before that truly captures the spirit of denver until now

Look again, it captures the spirit of Demver :haw:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PostNouveau posted:

Sometimes he likes to play moody d-bags instead of sticking to what he's good at (see Hancock, After Earth, Seven Pounds). So he's no guarantee of fun times. If he decides to go serious with it, it'll suck.

Apart from Hancock and MIB3 and Focus all his films for the last decade have been moody poo poo, and Hancock and MIB3 was half moody poo poo anyway. (I didn't see Focus)

His upcoming film 'Concussion' is about NFL players getting brain injuries and committing suicide, sounds like a laff riot. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zzulu posted:

Hancock could have been real good but welp

The first half of Hancock was one of the best, most fun superhero films I've ever seen but the second half was disappointingly lovely.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm gonna go see Ant Man tomorrow, let's see how their latest offering fares.

Trip report: it's not gonna set the world on fire but it was a lot better than I was expecting. It's a good fun movie with heart.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zombie Boat posted:

If you exist you're a broken human being.

Apparently Jesus fixed that for everyone, c/d?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

midnightclimax posted:

BTW I didn't know the Punisher skull is also used to sell Chris Kyle merchandise.

http://www.forged.com/collections/the-legend

Screw you all, Chris Kyle is a true American hero and his autobiography belongs in every classroom in the nation. :colbert: :patriot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pv-wPEKbdM

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

boom boom boom posted:

That's an interesting point, actually. Wolverine's advanced healing factor isn't really "healing" the way humans do it. If it was he'd be covered in scars and and stuff. It's more like a magical return to an untouched body.

His bris must have been a hell of a surprise.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xelkelvos posted:

Deadpool was recently revealed to be a walking organ farm and every so often, he'd get knocked other and have some organs taken from him after which he'd wake up none the wiser since he just grows them back. The latest Marvel Zombies also has a strong up Deadpool with the top of his skull cut off with the implication that the undead that have him captured get free refills on his brains and need not go out and hunt or go mindless from lack of food (though in previous Marvel Zombies, it was shown that the hunger could be beaten and it was more of a compulsion than a biological need).

There's a webcomic called Strong Female Protagonist where they have a character with Wolverine's abilities who tries to be a superhero and eventually comes to the realisation that she'd save a lot more people's lives by volunteering as an organ donor and having her organs harvested by surgeons as often as she can grow them back.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

shiksa posted:

i havent seen one page of it but i already know reddit hates it

the description brings up social injustice for gently caress's sake

Gorilla Salad posted:

It's (Super) White Privilege.txt in exceedingly drawn out comic form.

The latest storyline has a former hero using her powers to track down and murder rapists. She becomes a literal Social Justice Warrior. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bonzo posted:

Anyway....Fox had an embargo on review for the new FF movie until 3 hours before the first showtime. They've now extended that to the day before.

They should instead have bribed the reviewers to just keep writing angry reviews on Adam Sandler's Pixels and quietly released F4 with as little fanfare as possible.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

burritolingus posted:

The X-Men movies have been alright.

There's been a few low points in the franchise

#NotMyDeadpool

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I was cynical as gently caress at the start of the Deadpool trailer but it actually made me laugh.

And weirdly enough I have no recollection of ever having seen that Wolverine helicopter movie scene before although I've seen all the Wolverine movies at least once. Maybe I slept through that bit?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Double Monocle posted:

Deadpool movie ending should be a real dude in your actual theater wearing a deadpool costume stands up and boos when credits rolls, storms out.

Well there's no lack of Deadpools running around out there so don't be too surprised if that actually happens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCPnKGd54jY

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Aug 5, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zombie Boat posted:

First, I'd like to say that's NOT MY DOOM.

Second, why in a world were we have these ludicrous movies of superheros we still can't have a Doom in his cheesy glory. He needs to be cursing Reed and wearing armor because of his vanity.

Finally, seriously those "exploding heads" look like a student films first go at special effects.

Bro Dad posted:

they did that the first time and everyone hated it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPRjkUwfzUc

That wasn't the first time, this was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e58P6QhK4-4

burritolingus posted:

Roger Corman still has the best Fantastic Four flick and that's shameful.
This guy knows what's up. :mmmhmm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

burritolingus posted:

Fantastic Four is a good concept, but they never really do anything good with it.
They already made the perfect Fantastic Four movie, it's called The Incredibles. :colbert:

• Locked thread