Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW

dad gay. so what posted:

that was from the movie "War games" where a wily "hacker" teen dials into norad and tries to blow up the drat world. scary stuff if you think about it.

dad gay. so what posted:

did you know that the "dark web" is just a collection of modems and bbs' that google cant see? the headquarters is in an old underground telco office and its run by former 411 operators. if you know the right password you can buy a hooker and have her killed. scary stuff.

please stop scaring me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nefarious posted:

please stop scaring me

sorry. i dont know if youve noticed but this world is going down the tubes......

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

this rockin' mofo has yet to give up on me:

The word "office" takes on new meaning with our portable modem. Just snap it to your Palm V organizer at home or while traveling, and you can access your desktop PC in less than a minute. Speedy 33.6 Kbps modem connection allows for easy data exchange of e-mail, address, and date book. The modem is compatible with any standard phone line; you can also make the connection via your analog or GSM wireless phone (GSM Upgrade Kit sold separately).

gently caress YEAH

fight me haters

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
when I was growing up I had a 28.8k modem, 33.3k, and I actually jumped from there to

:siren: :siren: ISDN :siren: :siren:

I WAS PLAYING GAMES ONLINE

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

dad gay. so what posted:

modem facts:

did you know that modem is short for modulate/demodulate?
some modems can be internal and some are external
most modems are serial devices that use "com ports"
you have to have a free IRQ for your com port. i prefer to use "com 3"
millenials are faggots

ur back! so what?

Frostillicus
Jul 20, 2002

Jealous of that 1200 baud modem. I used Q-Link with just a 300.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

fast enough to do the job bitch

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a millenial, am I a human being?
also I get 25 megs a second.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nosam0819 posted:

IF THE SHOE FITS!!!

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Nosam0819 posted:

yes lol

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp
56gay which is the OP in a nutshell, 56 and gay.

Frostillicus posted:

Jealous of that 1200 baud modem. I used Q-Link with just a 300.

Bitch please, I have a 300 baud SIMPLEX so I gotta toggle every time I wanna talk. It was the first job saver in the electronic age.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

i don't use modems, i get my internet e-lectronically

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy
I just got burned by 2 members of an internet community.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
486SX b/cause that floating point poo poo is a scam

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

This Jacket Is Me posted:

486SX b/cause that floating point poo poo is a scam

gently caress you 486SLC I can still use my 286 motherboard and maybe, JUST MAYBE upgrade to 16MB of RAM after I sell my parents car. :c00l:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Our mall has a good chicken sandwich place, so I've been told, but they won't serve me no matter how many faxes I send them....because I'm gay.

Flo Cytometer
Apr 20, 2015

by Ralp

King of Bees posted:

Our mall has a good chicken sandwich place, so I've been told, but they won't serve me no matter how many faxes I send them....because I'm gay.

nobody wants to serve you because the best things bees do is puke out sugar. <:mad:>

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

when I was growing up I had a 28.8k modem, 33.3k, and I actually jumped from there to

:siren: :siren: ISDN :siren: :siren:

I WAS PLAYING GAMES ONLINE

I remember when Windows would incorrectly show modem up/down speed and say poo poo like you're getting 128K and people would be in the AOL chat room claiming that was their speed and we'd be all like "newbie"

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

King of Bees posted:

do they have a renzios?

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I kind of miss baud barf. When you're typing a post or in a chat sometimes you'd get rand&(^OUOINJFom then keep typing as nothing happened.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have several modems. the one i use most is 1200 bps

and is hooked up to a ham radio

we talk about ham radio things on it

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jonny 290 posted:

i have several modems. the one i use most is 1200 bps

and is hooked up to a ham radio

we talk about ham radio things on it

do you have a fax?

Risky
May 18, 2003

My modem is fast enough so the text appears really fast in LoRD.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
I remember I was the poo poo because I knew Basic from playing with my Commodore 64. I miss Bards Tale 3.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
Any proof that all millenials are faggots?

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
what's a good MUD i should play?

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pvt Dancer posted:

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work...w-1227440993477

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

Pvt Dancer posted:

Yes, millenials are a subset of faggots but not all faggots are millenials.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nefarious posted:

what's a good MUD i should play?

i dont know but adventure in serina is p good

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

dad gay. so what posted:

do you have a fax?

yes actually. and i can receive fax weather maps from big radio transmitters in new orleans and boston that send them to all the ships at sea

Risky posted:

My modem is fast enough so the text appears really fast in LoRD.

in about a month or two yospos will be bringing up our telnet bbs for LoRD like we have done every year for the past five. it is our fall depression quest

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jonny 290 posted:

yes actually. and i can receive fax weather maps from big radio transmitters in new orleans and boston that send them to all the ships at sea

in about a month or two yospos will be bringing up our telnet bbs for LoRD like we have done every year for the past five. it is our fall depression quest

do you use gopher?

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
Do you need welfare to play muds?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Isn't this just another kids these days rant? By most standards I'm pretty successful career wise but something I've consistently noticed is I never have any guaranteed stability, it's kindof hard to be entirely gungho about your job when you have no idea if you're going to be working there for more than a year. Same with things like starting a family or whatever, it seems like we have a generation full of people who are perpetually on probationary periods where they have no idea whether or not they're going to have to move halfway across the country for their next position. I work with post-docs who are doing their second or third post-doc it's ridiculous. If anyone is entitled nowawadays it seems like employers that can't make any promises but expect you to work like you owe the company something are the ones out of touch.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

Isn't this just another kids these days rant? By most standards I'm pretty successful career wise but something I've consistently noticed is I never have any guaranteed stability, it's kindof hard to be entirely gungho about your job when you have no idea if you're going to be working there for more than a year. Same with things like starting a family or whatever, it seems like we have a generation full of people who are perpetually on probationary periods where they have no idea whether or not they're going to have to move halfway across the country for their next position. I work with post-docs who are doing their second or third post-doc it's ridiculous. If anyone is entitled nowawadays it seems like employers that can't make any promises but expect you to work like you owe the company something are the ones out of touch.

tl;dr and please get out of my thread you filthy millenial

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Thanks

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

See that block marked "Learning Center", on the right? Yeah. I worked there. I went in one day looking for assistance with some problems in advanced evolutionary genetics. When they saw what I was asking, they decided I knew enough about basic Bio to be one of their tutors, so they offered me a job.

I was paid in minutes.

For those of you too young to remember, there was a time when online access to services like this were a monthly fee, but to get to their "Premium Services", you paid by the minute. I was paid in premium access minutes.

Which I got to use over a 1200 baud modem.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

dad gay. so what posted:

cock facts:

did you know that cock is short for cum/decum?
some cocks can be internal and some are external
most cocks are serial devices that use "cum ports"
you have to have a free IRQ for your cum port. i prefer to use "cum 3"
millenials are faggots

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

a market salad with tuna from freshii is a tasty and healthy lunch as long as you hold your nose and dont make eye contact with the fag white-guy-with-dearddlocks working there

• Locked thread