Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Every four years, the finest fighters the world over gather in the city of Erratzia for the Tournament of Heroes. A ten-day festival, complete with exotic dishes, street vendors, and performers, people come from all across the continent to watch the most elite gladiators the world has to offer fight for fame, glory, and a substantial sum of gold. However, there are rumors that this year a contingent of combatants has come with the intention of winning through less than honorable means. By steel, spell, or cunning, can you rout these rogues and restore the integrity of the Tournament?

Welcome to Tournament of Heroes, a game of mafia for 17 players! In this game, you will take on the role of an entrant in a world-class fighting tournament. However, there are several among you who want to cheat and murder their way to victory, and it's up to you to stop them!
This game is going to have a bunch of unorthodox roles, and a number of mechanisms to encourage player activity and participation, including daily mod challenges and lots of items, so it's sure to be a blast!
There's also going to be a bit of a choose your own flavor component, so when you sign up, please also send me a PM with:
  • A name for your fighter
  • Your area of expertise: Combat, Trickery, or Magic
  • Your favored way of dealing with your foes. For example, a favorite weapon, kind of magic, poison, etc.
  • What made you become a fighter?
  • Why have you entered the Tournament?
  • What motivates you? Gold? Fame? Personal glory? Something else entirely?
Additionally, if you could include your timezone and/or the hours you're generally available, it will help me plan out when to schedule the mod challenges so that as many people can participate as possible.

SAMPLE VANILLA TOWN ROLE PM

quote:

you are a Town Combatant. You are a trained pit fighter and have entered into the Tournament of Ages to win fame, glory, and gold. You are vanilla town and have no powers; your weapon is your vote. However, your training does grant you a slight edge. If you have no items and take part in a challenge, you will get a slight bonus in that challenge. You win when all threats to town are eliminated

:siren:RULES OF THE TOURNAMENT:siren:
  • Days will be about 72 hours. Nights will be 12-24 hours. There will be a Twilight phase.
  • Your flavor may have a bearing on your role and alignment. It may not. Be aware.
  • Mod challenges will occur at least once per game day. In order to take part, you must make a ##challenge in-thread within the specified timeframe.
  • During mod challenges, ALL out of thread communication will be forbidden.
  • This will be a game with fairly heavy item use. Each player will have an inventory with at least two item slots. Some will have more, but two will be the standard.
  • If your inventory is full and you gain another item, you choose one of the items in your inventory to publicly drop. Other players may attempt to ##snatch that item for themselves.
  • Each night , a player can perform a single action granted by their role, and a single item. If a player has multiple possible actions from their role, or multiple items, they can still only use one of each type.
  • Passive or reactive items and abilities trigger automatically and do not count against a player's number of actions.
  • All nightkills, regardless of origin, resolve simultaneously.
  • If a situation somehow arises where all players are dead, neither team wins and the result is a Spectator Victory. Blood for the blood god.

In addition, Standard Mafia Rules apply:
  • No editing your posts. Ninja edits for spelling, etc., are fine so long as the forums don't catch them
  • No OOT communication unless your role PM explicitly says otherwise
  • No posting your role PM or any other mod communication unless I explicitly tell you you can
  • No deadposting with the exception of a single content-free ghostpost
  • No spectator posting EXCEPT during challenges
  • No encrypting your posts, playing truth or dare, or Toxxing
  • No posting after hammers or while there are unresolved day actions. If there is one and it doesn't look like I've seen it, feel free to contact me OOT to let me know
  • No lurking! At the end of day 1, if you have fewer posts than me plus votefinder, I will replace you. If it happens on day 2 or later, I will modkill you.
  • No being a dickhead! Things' getting a bit heated is to be expected, but getting nasty and personal is not acceptable.

PLAYER LIST
  1. AnonymousNarcotics
  2. Birdstrike
  3. CapitalistPig
  4. CCKeane
  5. EccoRaven
  6. garthoneeye
  7. imgay
  8. King Burgundy
  9. merk
  10. Murmur Twin
  11. OmegaGoo
  12. Opopanax
  13. Pinterest Mom
  14. QuoProQuid
  15. Roydrowsy
  16. TMMadman
  17. yuming

REPLACEMENTS:
1. Epsilon Plus
2. Tremendous Taste

FALLEN HEROES
None... For now

EXAKT Science fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I will play and if the setup is ~wonky~ I will just lump it and not complain (much)

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
I'll play!

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I'll give this a go.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I'm in!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Hello I am here for the tourniquet!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sounds cool

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

*spits*

*throws sword into arena*

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

hi

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have pm'd my character sheet. I am very happy with my current flavor.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I'm in!

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I'll be a replacement for you, bro.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
I'd like to play.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

imgay posted:

I have pm'd my character sheet. I am very happy with my current flavor.

Let me guess, you just answered "imgay" to all the questions

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I want to play, but as a new guy I think I should contain myself to two games at a time.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Let me guess, you just answered "imgay" to all the questions

Not at all, I made a pretty detailed fantasy character with a robust back story.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

TMMadman posted:

I want to play, but as a new guy I think I should contain myself to two games at a time.

Let me know if you die or something, I don't expect to get properly started until after the weekend anyway.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EXAKT Science posted:

Let me know if you die or something, I don't expect to get properly started until after the weekend anyway.

You know what? Just sign me up as a regular. The 24 hour night cycles makes things slow and a third game should help alleviate the boredom. Unless all three games end up on a night cycle at the same time! :psyduck:

I'll figure out a character and send a PM by tomorrow. I won't be Hollywood Hulk Hogan. :v:

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Still looking for four more players and waiting on flavor from some of the current signups.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Exact who has best flavor so fa r?

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

imgay posted:

Exact who has best flavor so fa r?

All of the flavor I have is fantastic! :sun:

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I'm in!

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nice hopefully fills by weeks end.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
If signups are full by the end of the weekend, I will launch on Monday.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm out of the house for now but you'll have my flavor before I go to bed tonight.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
I'm in and will be adding flavor in a bit.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Birdstrike posted:

Hello I am here for the tourniquet!

OmegaGoo posted:

I'm in and will be adding flavor in a bit.

Glad to have you guys back!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yo

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TMMadman posted:

I'm out of the house for now but you'll have my flavor before I go to bed tonight.

I sent this last night but forgot to add my availability. I'm usually available and around a computer between 7pm-12am during the week. Weekends and Tuesdays are more erratic but I'll almost always be able to at least phone post even if I'm not able to give it my full attention.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
P.S. That's Central Time

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

TMMadman posted:

I sent this last night but forgot to add my availability. I'm usually available and around a computer between 7pm-12am during the week. Weekends and Tuesdays are more erratic but I'll almost always be able to at least phone post even if I'm not able to give it my full attention.

Exakt please assume my availability is the exact opposite of this person.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Oh I missed this game is going to have minigames and stuff, I'll be pretty spotty for those so I'll pull my sign up! Thx

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Count me in please if there still is room

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Roydrowsy posted:

Count me in please if there still is room

i just sent in my flavor answers.
it might just be the oddest thing i've written in a long, long, long time.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Roydrowsy posted:

i just sent in my flavor answers.
it might just be the oddest thing i've written in a long, long, long time.

The oddest thing I have ever written was a continuing series, starting at 1, where I add two to the previous number.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

CCKeane posted:

The oddest thing I have ever written was a continuing series, starting at 1, where I add two to the previous number.

Yohoho, it is a math joke.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

CCKeane posted:

I can't even!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

garthoneeye posted:

I can't even!

I find you odd.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wow you guys are so punny

Adbot