Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe
Move over honkies, there's a new grit in town. That's right, Roughin' Tumble™, now available anywhere you drat please, is here! One hit, two shots, three baskets, it doesn't matter - you'll be Roughin' It™ it in no time at all. Can you dig it? Why the hell would you? Just jack in, kick back, and get ready for a Tumblin' time™ with Roughin' Tumble™, the best you-know-what from who-knows-where. Roughin' Tumble™. It's It.

zidane13 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Grok is just the Martian word for "understand" from some old scifi novel.

Stranger in a Strange Land and it's supposed to be a deeper understanding. I don't use it myself!

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
I like heroes of the storm because it has starcrafts in it. All kinds of Jimmy Raynor, space redneck supreme.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Office Commando posted:

a lack of gameplay mechanics that make a player "feel bad" when they occur rather than feel challenged. the original gangplank in league of legends had an aoe(if you do not know what this three letter acronym means please kill youre famil) buff for your team called "raise morale" that killed one of your own minions as a cost to use the spell. your opponent did not receive gold and iirc only partial experience from the dead minion. there was no counterplay, gangplank just took two minions [EDIT: per wave] you should be killing and offed them himself. he was the only character in the game that could do this, and it became very oppressive. it made players feel bad. league tries to actively avoid this.

grok means "at first glance you get it" ie. intuit but in game language, it comes from some old nerd poo poo i don't remember at the moment.. lightning bolt in magic: the gathering groks very well. so does, say, red ones going faster for orcs in WH40k.

Making the enemy team feel bad is fun as hell

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
The correct term is lol clone

Coin
Jan 9, 2006

I'm no shitposter; I always know how I'm posting is wrong. I'm just a guy that doesn't like reading the thread, effortposting, and respecting the mods. So if you think about it, I'm the best poster here.
Vainglory is free and p fun on your iPad and it has the best, most important feature of any moba; no one can talk to you, ever. Also matches are fairly short.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Clipperton posted:

so instead of pressing q, r, a, e and w in complicated patterns, i can press them in less complicated patterns? yes that sounds like a lot more fun

What i'm saying is you're trying to read about high level optimization techniques when you have literally 0 experience with the basics and this would seem overly complicated in literally any endeavor. It's a really dumb complaint. When you start playing lol or really get into any hobby there's going to be a phase where you just need to get accustomed to what's going on in general where all the reading in the word will do poo poo for you until you actually just get in there and try poo poo out. I'm a relatively high ranked player in league and I have never seen a guide like that before you posted it, I started by installing the game after a friend pestered me for a year about it and just playing the loving game. You honestly learn very little by reading about what you're supposed to do you just get a feel for it by playing the game, just like you would with literally any other game or hobby.

Lol in particular got so popular so fast because it's accessible which is what makes your post notably dumb, you really don't need to know poo poo about the genre or game before you start playing it all just comes naturally as you put hours in. It was a dumb post that you posted not once but twice and you should just accept you are being retarded about this for no reason.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

WHAT IS GOING ON I AM SO CONFUSED THIS GAME IS COMPLICATED

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

ArbyC I had you down as a pretty smart guy but really waht are you doing here?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Office Commando posted:

a lack of gameplay mechanics that make a player "feel bad" when they occur rather than feel challenged. the original gangplank in league of legends had an aoe(if you do not know what this three letter acronym means please kill youre famil) buff for your team called "raise morale" that killed one of your own minions as a cost to use the spell. your opponent did not receive gold and iirc only partial experience from the dead minion. there was no counterplay, gangplank just took two minions [EDIT: per wave] you should be killing and offed them himself. he was the only character in the game that could do this, and it became very oppressive. it made players feel bad. league tries to actively avoid this.

grok means "at first glance you get it" ie. intuit but in game language, it comes from some old nerd poo poo i don't remember at the moment.. lightning bolt in magic: the gathering groks very well. so does, say, red ones going faster for orcs in WH40k.

i know what grok means (stranger in a strange land is a terrible book) but your description is not what it means (it pretty much means to understand something thoroughly) and using it in that context was nonsensical

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 16, 2015

zidane13
Jan 2, 2005

by Smythe
Yeah Arbs, what gives? You mad? Sad? Come on man, don't hide it, you can tell us. Get a bad grade? Girl leave you? Boy leave you? Why you here man, huh? Whats eating you? How can we help? Got gas? Need a ride? I can't give you one, but we can work something out. Come on C, come on.

Office Commando
Mar 23, 2005
The Invasion from Within

ArbitraryC posted:

WHAT IS GOING ON I AM SO CONFUSED THIS GAME IS COMPLICATED

ok good to know

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

opus111 posted:

ArbyC I had you down as a pretty smart guy but really waht are you doing here?

If someone wants to say league/mobas are dumb games because they are a waste of time I'm not going to argue with them I just think in particular that specific complaint is very dumb because lol got so popular in part because it was accessible. Like if you think the games are dumb in a general sense because you're doing a "kids these days don't know what it's like to grief the other team with an autoshotty and flashbangs" I don't care but if you're going to whine about specific things you're flagrantly wrong about I will call you out on it.

On3moresoul
Apr 22, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
You all need to get your dicks wet with some Heroes of Newerth.

Office Commando
Mar 23, 2005
The Invasion from Within

Neurosis posted:

i know what grok means (stranger in a strange land is a terrible book) but your description is not what it means (it pretty much means to understand something thoroughly) and using it in that context was nonsensical

i genuinely am putting you on my ignore list for thinking SiaSL is bad. also, grok in the book means the exact same thing in the context of a game. i don't need a loving rulebook to inform me that giant balls of fire flying at my face are things to avoid in a game, that they are things that will hurt my health points. i grok that. apparently you don't.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Office Commando posted:

i genuinely am putting you on my ignore list for thinking SiaSL is bad. also, grok in the book means the exact same thing in the context of a game. i don't need a loving rulebook to inform me that giant balls of fire flying at my face are things to avoid in a game, that they are things that will hurt my health points. i grok that. apparently you don't.

lol

lack of feel bad mechanics that don't grok

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Office Commando posted:

no, you 'understand that' or 'realise' that, you don't 'grok' that. lmao.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

hey... ya grok me?!

Office Commando
Mar 23, 2005
The Invasion from Within

Neurosis posted:

lol

lack of feel bad mechanics that don't grok

please give me redtext i want that tied to my name forever

i-i mean i don't care about things at all

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Office Commando posted:

please give me redtext i want that tied to my name forever

seriously man I play league and your poo poo didn't make any sense, I dunno if you're trying to invent new terms here or what but the definition of word salad was meant to apply to nonsensical poo poo like that

Office Commando
Mar 23, 2005
The Invasion from Within

ArbitraryC posted:

seriously man I play league and your poo poo didn't make any sense, I dunno if you're trying to invent new terms here or what but the definition of word salad was meant to apply to nonsensical poo poo like that
are you going to perhaps state what is not clear to you, or just insist that SOMETHING is until you are blue in the face?

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Office Commando posted:

i get the feeling women dont grok u

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

ArbitraryC posted:

I'm a relatively high ranked player in league

arbitraryc what is your policy on using hydra, do you agree it can be used before W or any Qs except the Qs after Rs or before the R from R-Q-AA?

or do you sometimes use it before the Qs after Rs anyway

does that give you a naughty little thrill

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
hots is actually way better than dota 2

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
dotes

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Office Commando posted:

“Nine times out of ten, if a girl gets raped, it’s partly her fault.”

Good book imo

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Brinner posted:

something-other-than-goblin-techies.png

what is wrong with u

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp
Of all these mobas within the world I enjoy none of them.

I hope this helps in your quest.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

well warded

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
tides of blood

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Office Commando posted:

Dude you like league which is fine but for some reason you have decided that the things you like are the only things ever that people are allowed to like and are constructing elaborate psychological arguments about why people shouldn't really have different tastes than you which is not a thing that normal people do. Also Heinlein was a nazi.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP

Office Commando posted:

holy poo poo what a terrible post. lol

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Nanomashoes posted:

Dude you like league which is fine but for some reason you have decided that the things you like are the only things ever that people are allowed to like and are constructing elaborate psychological arguments about why people shouldn't really have different tastes than you which is not a thing that normal people do. Also Heinlein was a nazi.

hitler gave the people free healthcare

makes you think

Mister Panos
Jan 26, 2011

the correct term is not moba but FARTS (Fastpaced-Action-Real-Time-Strategy). pLease do not use the wrong acronym when yasserbossin about FARTS, the best video game genre ever!!

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
can someone please explain to me how a stupid loving starcraft custom map turned into an entire generation of retards, because i feel like it happened when I wasn't paying attention somehow

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
GROK GROK GROK went the fleshlight as office commando ejaculated, leaving a stained paper plate and a smugly unintelligible review on the video comments

thanks ~Salmiakki~

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

hairypanis posted:

the correct term is not moba but FARTS (Fastpaced-Action-Real-Time-Strategy). pLease do not use the wrong acronym when yasserbossin about FARTS, the best video game genre ever!!

Aeon of Strife Style Fortress Assault Game Going On Two Sides

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cyberball 2072 posted:

I like heroes of the storm because it has starcrafts in it. All kinds of Jimmy Raynor, space redneck supreme.

This is the same for me too. Being Thrall and hitting Raynor in the dick going "LOL IM THE WARCHIEF!" is cool. What I'm trying to say is having an entire cast of characters that I am already familiar with, using abilities I already know, makes it a lot easier to get into for MOBA newbies.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

spud posted:

This is the same for me too. Being Thrall and hitting Raynor in the dick going "LOL IM THE WARCHIEF!" is cool. What I'm trying to say is having an entire cast of characters that I am already familiar with, using abilities I already know, makes it a lot easier to get into for MOBA newbies.

it's really sad when blizzard has to copy a mod and give their abomination a pudge hook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I like Dota when the people on your team spend more effort and energy hating on each other because they don't like the choices their team mates make.

stuff like

- 'everything bad that is happening is someone elses fault'
- 'you (a person on my team) died more times than i would like to see, you are bad and i am going to call this match an early loss and just outright leave so that there is no chance of a come back, because games are only fun when you are definitely going to win from the start'
- 'someone on the other team is doing better than me, im going to tell them how over powered their character is and that it is the only reason they are winning, with no regards for my own tactics'

The last one is my favourite because that person goes into the next match trying to play as the hero that just beat them, but still loses because they refuse to accept that some characters directly counter the one they chose.

I also like dota because teams that are beating you hard can still lose if they take too long. It is so painful to see a person with less than 100 last hits in a 1 hour game.

• Locked thread