Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

corpuscollossus posted:

You tweet something as a joke and it catches on. You push it it becomes a meme. Then it manifests like a boil and you're being vilified by two knobs with frosted tips and a shark mascot under a gazebo. God bless the internet.

Sometimes you get to be the cool guy that cracks wise. Other times smash mouth, guy fieri, a shark mascot, and your own social anxiety conspire to make a fool out of you in front of everyone and sometimes that moment is the height of your fame and the most significant thing you will ever accomplish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Moon Atari posted:

Sometimes you get to be the cool guy that cracks wise. Other times smash mouth, guy fieri, a shark mascot, and your own social anxiety conspire to make a fool out of you in front of everyone and sometimes that moment is the height of your fame and the most significant thing you will ever accomplish.

hey at least it's not the worst thing an SA mod has accomplished

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Didn't he end up getting a part in that Charlie Sheen sitcom or whatever

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
I remember trying to explain to my wife why this surreal situation was funny and her just staring at me.

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

RaceBannon posted:

I remember trying to explain to my wife why this surreal situation was funny and her just staring at me.

Epic fail.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

RaceBannon posted:

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

ElGroucho posted:

Didn't he end up getting a part in that Charlie Sheen sitcom or whatever

is @fart the fat kid in 2½ men ??

hmm wait no he lost all that child weight so it cant be

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

puchu posted:

hell eggs

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Rand alPaul posted:

This was me moments before I called Steve Harwell on the phone and told him to eat the eggs my rear end.

Whoa, wanna get on that workout plan

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The best part (think it was actually copy pasted earlier) is Hendren's recounting of it in a vice article where he tried to make it sound like he was cool and good. Where he didn't eat the eggs and ran off because 'the eggs were bad'.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
It's an allegory for goons. We are bad eggs.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
no, i just smell like rotten eggs

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I'm not bragging. On the contrary, this is a confession. I, along with several thousand Internet people, forced his hand and made the otherwise nice-enough lead singer from Smash Mouth eat eggs until he either cried or was sweating so hard it looked like crying. I'd almost go as far as to call it extreme cyberbullying. Yeah, now that I think about it, I guess we cyberbullied the "All Star" guy.

It began on a Thursday night, last year. I know this because I remember getting pretty drunk before realizing it wasn't Friday. Smash Mouth's account had just been verified by Twitter, but they had no real activity and only 200 followers. Naturally, as things go on the Internet, we accosted it with dumb stuff, but the dumbest of all was a challenge I issued to Steve Harwell, the band's lead singer:

The reason this even became a thing at all is because Smash Mouth is a group of local boys from my town of San Jose, CA, and are arguably the most culturally-relevant young men this place has ever produced. That is, if you aren't counting Screech from Saved by the Bell.

I went to my kitchen and made sure I had a pot big enough to boil 24 of them at once. Of course, this was all in fun and definitely never going to actually happen until a different Twitter user piped up and offered $100 to charity if Steve would eat the eggs. Then another person did that. And someone else. And then 4 or 5 people. And then dozens. I went to bed and woke to find thousands of pledges, promising money to charity if Steve would scarf the eggs.

Who knows what charity they were talking about. It's sort of like how Nas keeps firing out "back-to-Africa" speeches in Belly, without really explaining where on the world's second-largest, second-most-populous continent he wants to go.

The band never said a word about it over the course of days, but the flame continued burning in many of us. We'd remind them every few weeks about charity and money and duty and honor, but they wouldn't budge.

One afternoon, though, I got an email from a promoter at a local venue (a fantastic man named Nathan) who had confronted the band about the egg thing and found out that, yeah, they knew all about it and were trying to ignore it until it went away. He did the best possible thing and not only convinced them that it's a good idea, but that he'd set up a causes.com page to track and legitimize donations to a real charity. The band responded with a challenge: Raise $10,000 for St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital and we'd be off to the races.

In a matter of days, we did exactly that. With the money raised, the actual egg thing went down a couple months later. In fact, it was to be the opening ceremony for Guy Fieri's Johnny Garlic's restaurant in Dublin, CA. Yeah, the same frosted-tipped Guy Fieri whose newest restaurant was bludgeoned to a pulp very publicly in a recent New York Times review. Guy and Steve were supposedly old friends and not actually the same man, despite the exact same fashion sense and divorced dad aura. The plain laid out by whoever was now running the show was that Guy would cook the eggs for Steve, and the rest of us would watch in terror. The incomparably kind soul David Thorpe and I piled into the car and drove.

Dublin's a decent distance from San Jose, but Guy Fieri put on enough of a show to make it worthwhile. His bronzed, leathery bod scrambled up a bunch of eggs and asked the audience which ingredients they'd like added. They cheered wildly for things like jalapenos, cayenne pepper, tabasco, and onions, but much less so for things like peppers, cheese, or other human-style ingredients. Steve sat down and quite literally choked down maybe 6-8 eggs' worth of the concoction, all the while visibly pained.

I stood onstage behind the whole sad ordeal trying to post videos and photos to prove this was all actually happening, in spite of the fact that the shady company Smash Mouth hired to livestream the thing was a no-show. The shark mascot from the San Jose Sharks hockey team came up and molested me a couple times, and Steve, unable to finish the eggs and wiping his brow constantly, called a couple people up from the crowd to eat the terrible eggs. I had a bite of the eggs at some point, too, and my belly burned like something was smoldering inside it.

Steve and Guy snuck the heck out of there, so I grabbed a free Smash Mouth CD from the pile their manager had set out-- their 2006 album Summer Girl-- and took off. In what I assume to be the final act of a cruel genie, my phone (along with all the music on it) died just before the hour-long drive home thanks to all the photos and video I'd taken. Call it a quirk, but I have to listen to some form of music while I drive, or I can't drive at all, and suddenly the only music I had on me was Summer Girl. Which I listened to. In its entirety. Twice, because there was traffic.

My review of the album: 2/5 stars - Not bad for free, but it wasn't all it's cracked up to be.

lol

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
hes so gonzo

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Imagine if he had torn off his shirt, flexed some bad rear end muscles and downed all those eggs

Then lifted the shark on his shoulder in triumph

what a different world this would be if we had sent a starwars betamax to take care of those motherfucking eggs

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

Mid October 2011: FYAD gets wind of the press coverage, featuring photos of their beloved fat admin overloard, and video of what an awkward plump apple-shaped baby-face aspergic trainwreck he is.

Link to this thread, please.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Stay safe clark duke goon

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Melmac posted:

Link to this thread, please.
found it

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442606

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Thank you!

:munch:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Is there a real Johnny Garlic, or is this more marketing bs??? Feel like lately all my idols turn out to be marketing bs.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Whoa, I just noticed that Guy Fieri is also in the audience. How'd he do that?

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
I do not like

Guy fiery
Smash mouth

I do like

Eggs made by a real chef
Attention
The idea of sharing attention with a rock star

Therefore I would have eaten the eggs

Why doc evil did not eat the eggs and bask in fame is beyond me

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
im sure doc evil did his best and i wish him well

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Tomatoes and jalapeños in eggs actually sounds pretty awesome, idgi

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin

facebook jihad posted:

Agreed

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax

facebook jihad posted:

cause they were made by guy fieri

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

he coulda just taken a big bite and laughed and said how spicy it was but instead he got chumped by a shark

maybe he was sad and pissy that smash mouth didnt eat all 24 eggs himself? like it would have been WAY funnier if mr mouth sat down and ate like 6 of them and then went home with a take out box of 18 eggs and had to eat the rest over the course of a couple of days like abe did with his fruit hat? well too fuckin bad sonny its turned into a spectacle with a goofy celebrity chef and a crowd and you shoulda smiled and eaten a goddamn egg

Amorphous Blob fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 28, 2015

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

ElGroucho posted:

Imagine if he had torn off his shirt, flexed some bad rear end muscles and downed all those eggs

Then lifted the shark on his shoulder in triumph

what a different world this would be if we had sent a starwars betamax to take care of those motherfucking eggs.

Even if Jon hendren had tried to do this and comically failed it would have been funny and shown he knew how to laugh at himself and have a good time. Then he could have turned to smash mouth and been like "somebody once told me you were gonna eat some eggs, but I guess somebody didn't know how much of a pussy you are“.

Affe mk2
Mar 9, 2004

Chicks dig giant robots

Amorphous Blob posted:

he coulda just taken a big bite and laughed and said how spicy it was but instead he got chumped by a shark

maybe he was sad and pissy that smash mouth didnt eat all 24 eggs himself? like it would have been WAY funnier if mr mouth sat down and ate like 6 of them and then went home with a take out box of 18 eggs and had to eat the rest over the course of a couple of days like abe did with his fruit hat? well too fuckin bad sonny its turned into a spectacle with a goofy celebrity chef and a crowd and you shoulda smiled and eaten a goddamn egg

this is the only gayer than what really happened

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Affe mk2 posted:

this is the only gayer than what really happened

not as gay as you

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
I'm getting severe second-hand embarrassment from these photos.

I feel weird just taking out my phone when I'm even remotely expected to pay attention or expect someone to address me. Never loving mind while on stage in front of a crowd. What an embarrassing dork.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
because johnny hates jazz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctwqa3QCwMw

thats why

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
let me just brush my hair out of my eyes again

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
this thread is literally seinfeld

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp
david thorpe bringing piutbull to alska was so infinitley better, since he used twitter to turn a pre-existing corporate promotion thing on it's head, and they went ahead and went through with it. pitbull was nice about it and the eskimos were welcoming and even did a little cultural dance/presentation thing for him. it ended up being this overall sweet, positive thing, instead of an attempt at dadaist bullying doomed to awkward faluire

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

jesus loving christ this is pathetic

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
gently caress you stupid aspergers 0 social skills rear end in a top hat

gently caress

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
stone faced twat

Moola
Aug 16, 2006