Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Seiyu's Life is a heartwarming show about three rookie voice actresses facing the harsh realities of an industry where crushing competition, underemployment and low job security are the norm:

From left to right we have:

Moesaki Ichigo
A big jerk from the strawberry planet.

Ichinose Futaba
Her biggest role is a robot who can only say 'pipo'.

Kohana Rin
As expected, the most successful voice actress of the three protagonists is a highschool girl.

The three girls also like to sing famous anime songs in the ending:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSnyipMgA_8

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

This isn't too bad.

Where can you download their radio show?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

nielsm posted:

This isn't too bad.

Where can you download their radio show?

I checked, and it doesn't seem to exist (yet?).
Too bad, because I'm listening to quite a few of these seiyuu radio shows.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I want to know how much closet space Moesaki has dedicated to cosplaying as Strawberry Shortcake every time she auditions.

Also Rin is totally going to Hayate (Gakkou) HS and one of Futaba's talent managers is literally a Hayate character.

quote:

I checked, and it doesn't seem to exist (yet?).
Too bad, because I'm listening to quite a few of these seiyuu radio shows.

It would seem like a missed opportunity not to put out an actual radio show at some point. I've listened to enough random radio shows in the past to really be looking forward to next week.

Overall I'm liking this show a lot. The slow bits tend to be interesting and the rest is, uh, cutely depressing, which is not something you see too often.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

They have a regular segment in the 22.40 slot here but as far as I can tell it's actual radio only, rather than web radio.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So basically this is an entire show about the most depressing part of Shirobako? Fun.

Joking aside, I might have to check this out sometime; it sounds like it might be interesting.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I wonder what goes through the voice actresses' minds when they're asked to do this show about how their profession is a loving joke that works its employees to the bone and only a tiny few actually achieve meaningful prosperity from it.

Besides "sweet, I get to pay the bills this month".

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Checking the Wikipedia article, it seems that this manga is written by the lady who voiced Risa in Psycho-Pass and Imca in the 3rd Valkyria Chronicles game.

Huh. Color me intrigued.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Kanos posted:

Checking the Wikipedia article, it seems that this manga is written by the lady who voiced Risa in Psycho-Pass and Imca in the 3rd Valkyria Chronicles game.

Huh. Color me intrigued.

It's an adaption of a doujin written by a veteran Voice Actress. (Masumi Asano) and illustrated by the Hayate the Combat Butler Mangaka.

So basically it's all inside jokes, real life experience and mild commentary on the industry, kinda like Shirobako but from a purely VA perspective rather than the animation studio side of things.

I actually like how in this show basically all the studio people might as well be Charlie Brown adults to the VAs except for like the 1 or 2 dudes who actually get paid to communicate with them.

madmac fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 16, 2015

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

madmac posted:

It's an adaption of a doujin written by a veteran Voice Actress. (Masumi Asano) and illustrated by the Hayate the Combat Butler Mangaka.

So basically it's all inside jokes, real life experience and mild commentary on the industry, like Shirobako but from a purely VA perspective rather than the animation studio side of things.

That actually makes me feel better about it because at least it's self-deprecating.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello

Kanos posted:

I wonder what goes through the voice actresses' minds when they're asked to do this show about how their profession is a loving joke that works its employees to the bone and only a tiny few actually achieve meaningful prosperity from it.

Besides "sweet, I get to pay the bills this month".

Feast or famine kind of the nature of entertainment industries in general. You can't walk a block in West LA without running into a dozen starving actors trying to make it. Hollywood is a meat grinder and I'm sure a ton of cynical stories can be told about the place.

By the way missed an opportunity for some sort of thread title/OP combination. Something like Aya Hirano is stealing our lunch money.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

That scene of Ichigo toiling away in an assembly line gave off so much of a Turning Girls vibe it was hilarious.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

When's the Shirobako crossover?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I'm reading the /a/ thread and the entire thing can be summed up as "Please for the love of all that's decent don't scare her away/ruin her day."

Well at least I got some music from Ichigo, and honestly I kind of like her songs.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Oh, completely forgot to mention but in addition to the volumes that get sold every year at comiket (Which have never been scanlated to my knowledge) the doujin has a website that puts up a new free 4-Koma every week: http://blog.livedoor.jp/hajimemashite_maru/

madmac fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 16, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

pandaK posted:

When's the Shirobako crossover?

The cast applies to Aerial Girls, none of them make it. If/when we get a new season of Shirokbako, we'll see some familiar faces in the backgrounds/montages of would-be VA's getting turned down for their new projects; they won't even have any lines. That will be the extent of the crossover.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
A seiyuu radio show can be one of the more embarrassing part of a seiyuu's career since a lot of the times they have to do a lot of improv and the show itself usually calls for the seiyuu to do stuff like reading embarrassing lines or reading lines as an embarrassing character (ie: a cat-character). It's even worse when it's a radio-show with video or a live broadcast stream because then you have to visually embarrassing things like do skits.

You still even have big names like Hanazawa Kana or Taketatsu Ayana doing radio shows where they're made to say stupid and embarrassing poo poo so it doesn't get any better when you're popular either.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Zettace posted:

You still even have big names like Hanazawa Kana or Taketatsu Ayana doing radio shows where they're made to say stupid and embarrassing poo poo so it doesn't get any better when you're popular either.

They should learn from funnier VA's. Like Ono and Kamiya's show, or Sugita's every Anigera show. Especially when he goes into weird tangents... which is all the loving time.

I guess it depends on how much they're into it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I can't imagine web radio is popularly translated, so it's something I'll probably never really experience. Stuff like the improv on Tesagure and Kaito from Gaim's baking show areal good though.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
It really does feel like Shirabako primed the pump for this show.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

dogsicle posted:

I can't imagine web radio is popularly translated, so it's something I'll probably never really experience.

Which is a shame, because some of them are really good. The AoT one with Kaji (Eren) and Shimono (Coney) for example is amazing.

Great listening practice for any Japanese language students too.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

z0glin Warchief posted:

Which is a shame, because some of them are really good. The AoT one with Kaji (Eren) and Shimono (Coney) for example is amazing.

Great listening practice for any Japanese language students too.

Don't they have a radio show already where it's just those two goofing off? I remember when they brought Hiroki Yasumoto (Guile, Agil in SAO, Goofy Gangsta dude that goes 'yo. Yo! YO! HEY MAN!' in Durarara) and they had him read some phrases with a 'cute' voice. Which was completely ridiculous and fun.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Well, this was about as awkward as expected.

The guest this episode was Tamura Yukari and the ending song was the opening of C³ )

edit: The radio show is available online now:
http://soregaseiyu.com/radio/

Tamba fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 21, 2015

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Ahahaha. The web radio director guy owns.

And it's interesting that they're using real names.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 21, 2015

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tamba posted:

That's far more chaotic than I had expected. I may have to listen again when I'm not tired etc.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Ahahaha. The web radio director guy owns.

And it's interesting that they're using real names.

That's pretty typical. Usually they'll introduce themselves as "Character Name, Real Name" and do the entire radio show somewhere halfway between vaguely in character and not at all.

Ichigo spazzing out about her entire extended family subscribing to her lame twitter feed was great. Radio Director was great. I love this stupid show.

I like how the show keeps allowing the protagonists to make tiny tiny steps forward while still being screw-ups at everything.

madmac fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 22, 2015

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
It's not uncommon for a VA to use a stage name if they don't want to use their real name. I would say the majority of VAs use their real name, though.

There are also instances where a VA will use a stage name because their real name is kind of bland or because their name overlaps with an established actor or TV personality. In a industry where you have to be recognized to be successful you can probably guess why.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Tamba posted:

I was hoping this would be more laid back, but I guess that's too much to ask for.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Ichigo confirmed best character.

Tiny manager gets some funny 4-Koma's in the webcomic, I hope she gets expanded in the show eventually.

One of the interesting bits about this show (Shirabako did it first though) is that the three main characters are all played by rookies who are only credited with stuff like "Maid B" and "Friend A" prior to this, so they were all living the moe impending unemployment lifestyle.

Also the mangaka's old Seiyu Unit is getting back together for the show, which makes me wonder how semi-autobiographical it really is:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-07-17/voice-actress-unit-aice-5-reunites-for-new-single-appearance-in-seiyu-life-anime/.90579

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I really liked this episode.

Ichigo Dad is a cool dad.

Also Yui Horie officially a slob.

madmac fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 5, 2015

Pringleton
Jul 21, 2008
Slovenly meta-Yui Horie is my waifu.

fake edit: For real though, this somehow ended up being the show I most look forward to each week this season. Also I skipped Shirobako at the time, and if not for people mentioning it often when they talk about this, I might never have gone back and watched it. So that alone justifies this series.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Seeing as they already have Hitomi Nabatame cast in the show, they should have Shizuka Itou as the guest. The 2 of them can takes the girls out drinking.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
The official "Earphones" site they are looking at in the start of the episode is a real site. http://earphones-official.co/

Also they uploaded a full video of the "Kuroneko of Eternia 2" trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIJATs_H1Mo

madmac fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Aug 5, 2015

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

madmac posted:

Also they uploaded a full video of the "Kuroneko of Eternya 2" trailer.

:colbert:

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
My deepest apologies nya.

Apparently Haruka Yamazaki recently tweeted about filming for the show, so there will probably be a Ruka (From HTCB) cameo at some point, as happened in the doujin I believe, along with a few other random Hayate character cameos.

Also, Ichigo's dad has a strawberry car ornament, because he's a cool single dad.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

This show continues to own.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

madmac posted:

The official "Earphones" site they are looking at in the start of the episode is a real site. http://earphones-official.co/

Also they uploaded a full video of the "Kuroneko of Eternia 2" trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIJATs_H1Mo

The related videos also had the PV of the op.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72LDDi2UvwE

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The only downside to this show compared to Shirobako, besides of course, not being about most levels of anime production through the protagonist's eyes (though the strict focus on voice acting makes the subject matter even dorkier than Shirobako much of time), is the existence of the middle schooler makes it so Real Talk post-workday drinking will never be shown. It's a shame because those were some of the best (and most realistic) parts of Shirobako, since it was hilarious commentary on Japanese working life in general. Not just working in animation.

Otherwise, I'm really happy to have a solidly animated cartoon that looks like Saki and has endless seiyuu cameos.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Rie Kugimiya smells amazing, apparently.

Brand new ending this time, not sure if I like it or not yet.

Also ouch, just ouch.

On a happier note, looks like they got Rie to do another special song for this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzcpagowEpk

Man, that's two songs from guest VA's in 6 episodes, and I don't think they're going to stop. I'm really digging this show.

madmac fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 12, 2015

• Locked thread