Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Abel Wingnut posted:

polanco hasn't been THAT bad, has he?

Not great, but it seems reasonable to think it's gonna be tough to win a division while playing a not-quite-there player every day.

Especially now that Jordy Mercer is hurt. They can trade for an infielder, or call up a no-bat minor leaguer and replace their current small-bat OF to minimize the hit to the lineup.

We should trade for Tulo. (ha ha ha)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Manny Parra got put on the DL today, he probably would have been a decent lefty for a throw away prospect for someone.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

FairGame posted:

The Pirates absolutely need to go for it right now, and I write that as someone who wants the Cardinals to win the division so they don't have to face Madison Bumgarner or Jacob deGrom in a one-game playoff.

The Cardinals are absolutely vulnerable thanks to their various injuries and inability to generate offense from the 1B position. If the Pirates got Adam Lind, they'd solve their Alvarez issues (though it's a shame Lind and Alvarez are both lefties) and also keep the Cardinals from getting probably the only real impact 1B bat on the market.

If I'm the Pirates, I worry about how I deal with the 2016-and-onward Cubs and Cardinals on November 1 2015. Win now and avoid the one-game playoff, and you have as good a chance as anyone of winning the whole thing.

I agree. I appreciate the value of 'prospect hugging' but gently caress it. This year they absolutely have the potential to win it all. Flags fly forever.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Inspector_666 posted:

Yankees got two catchers doing real well in the minors and he's probably all yours for the low low price of one 2B who can hit better than Stephen Drew and Brendan Ryan!

But we have Refsnyder?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

gotta laugh at the mets front office jerking us off yet again by attaching trade rumor to everyone but in the end won't get a single loving upgrade to cure the now-legendary bad offense

normally I'd say take upton but if he can just walk in a few months what's the loving point. might as well wait til next year and try to buy upton or cespedes or encarnacion

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MinibarMatchman posted:

gotta laugh at the mets front office jerking us off yet again by attaching trade rumor to everyone but in the end won't get a single loving upgrade to cure the now-legendary bad offense

normally I'd say take upton but if he can just walk in a few months what's the loving point. might as well wait til next year and try to buy upton or cespedes or encarnacion

That's pretty good fan relations tbh

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Not if they refuse to look you in the eye while they're doing it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MinibarMatchman posted:

My Mets-fan friend categorically declared the idea of trading one of their starters "ridiculously stupid" on Facebook yesterday.

I was unaware he had a job within the organization!

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
It seems like the Jays have been linked to every pitcher in the majors. The other day, they had 'strong' interest in Mike Fiers, and now they have interest in Latos. AA seems to be in on every player, just because, apparently, he's pretty active.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm not too sure the Astros should be seeking rentals, as is being reported. At the beginning of the year, I said the Astros were one year away from being a legit World Series contender, and though they've performed beyond my expectations, I'd prefer getting Cashner from the Padres - while he might not be a Cole Hammels, he'd probably be around for next season, when the Astros should go full-on Dynasty Mode.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Baltimore is looking into trading Kevin Gausman if anyone wants a guy who will immediately turn into an ace the second you trade for him.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Astros acquired Scott Kazmir.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Finally the first domino falls

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
OK cool so this means the Yankees can totally swing Zobrist for nothing.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

My Cueto pipe dream has come to an end

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Intruder posted:

My Cueto pipe dream has come to an end

Mine never started since a name-player inter-division Reds-Pirates deal is just not going to happen.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Inspector_666 posted:

OK cool so this means the Yankees can totally swing Zobrist for nothing.

Nottingham has been rising recently and is a pretty decent return for a rental; they're not just gonna give Zobrist away for garbage.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MourningView posted:

Nottingham has been rising recently and is a pretty decent return for a rental; they're not just gonna give Zobrist away for garbage.

Yeah that's a subjective "nothing," not like, PTBNL or a Cash Considerations.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 23, 2015

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Shin-Soo Choo recently hit for the cycle. Someone should pick up this slugger before the deadline.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Angels should trade noted front of the line starter CJ Wilson for a left fielder/DH type. Who needs a starter and has outfielders?

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Good Dog posted:

Angels should trade noted front of the line starter CJ Wilson for a left fielder/DH type. Who needs a starter and has outfielders?

One slightly used Carlos Beltran coming right up.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Apparently the Jays have had discussions with the Indians about Carrasco. I am liking that the Jays are looking at long-term pitching options, rather than short-term fixes.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Craig Calcaterra, a bloggie who normally does not break news, says Aramis Ramirez is heading to the Pirates.

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance

zakharov posted:

Craig Calcaterra, a bloggie who normally does not break news, says Aramis Ramirez is heading to the Pirates.

Bill Brink reporting the same so this has legs

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Would be a really cool trade for Aramis. I've always liked him.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Brewers get Yhonathon Barrios for Aramis Ramirez and cash. What an amazing name.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
What the hell is with people putting the H in John right next to the J?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think that's a Columbian thing

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

zakharov posted:

Aramid Ramirez is still playing?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Rand alPaul posted:

What the hell is with people putting the H in John right next to the J?

Some people's first language is not English. :ms:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Good for A-Ram. I hope he does well in Pittsburgh.

Although he'll always be a Cub in my mind. That was probably one of the only good trades Jim Hendry ever made.

edit: I forgot Choi for Lee. That one was pretty cool too.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 23, 2015

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

CubsWoo posted:

As above-expectation the Cubs season has been, I really dread them making moves for two month rentals that trade away farm talent when the realistic ceiling this year is the WC1 slot and barring the most un-Cubs run in the last century somewhere between one and five playoff games this season.

Let the playoffs happen this year (or not!) and make moves in 2016-17 when the target is probably 'best team in baseball' instead of 'sneak into the WC and see if we get hot.'

Theo and Co. have said they will not pay a premium price for a rental player.

In other news, they offered Castro and Javy Baez to the Phillies for Hamels but got turned down.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Starlin Castro has negative value at this point.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Twin Cinema posted:

Apparently the Jays have had discussions with the Indians about Carrasco. I am liking that the Jays are looking at long-term pitching options, rather than short-term fixes.
I expect Toronto to offer them trinkets for him.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I expect Toronto to offer them trinkets for him.
And if the trade doesn't work out they'll send Carrasco back with some blankets.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Harlock posted:

Starlin Castro has negative value at this point.

two-time all-star

where's RAJ

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Retail Slave posted:

Theo and Co. have said they will not pay a premium price for a rental player.

I love that this quote gets headlines still. Who is gonna be the GM who tells a reporter "We will give a team literally anybody for a player by the deadline. You name 'em, we'll ship 'em off!"

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Inspector_666 posted:

I love that this quote gets headlines still. Who is gonna be the GM who tells a reporter "We will give a team literally anybody for a player by the deadline. You name 'em, we'll ship 'em off!"

Billy Beane.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Inspector_666 posted:

The difference is that Theo and Co mean it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Good Dog posted:

Cespedes. So all my A's friends will be mad

• Locked thread