Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mornacale posted:

Some people's first language is not English. :ms:

But it doesn't make any sense in Spanish, either, because unlike English that language has logic involved in how words are spelled/sound :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Good Dog posted:

Angels should trade noted front of the line starter CJ Wilson for a left fielder/DH type. Who needs a starter and has outfielders?

Isn't 3B a slightly bigger need for the Angels now with Freese out?

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
I'm really happy that Aramis is back with the Buccos to finish his career where it started. It helps out an ungodly woeful infield in the short term and will make a much better bench once Harrison and Mercer are back

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I don't see how the Angels could get anybody who's actually any good since they've got basically one serious prospect in the minors and they're not going to give him up, but hey, maybe

Roasted Donut posted:

I'm really happy that Aramis is back with the Buccos to finish his career where it started. It helps out an ungodly woeful infield in the short term and will make a much better bench once Harrison and Mercer are back

Have you Pittsburgh posters heard anything regarding Mitch Moreland? There's been basically nothing about it in DFW but I've seen random Pirates commentors posting about him here and there the last couple of days. I don't know anything about Pittsburgh's system but I would be so down with that

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I don't see how the Angels could get anybody who's actually any good since they've got basically one serious prospect in the minors and they're not going to give him up, but hey, maybe

Have you Pittsburgh posters heard anything regarding Mitch Moreland? There's been basically nothing about it in DFW but I've seen random Pirates commentors posting about him here and there the last couple of days. I don't know anything about Pittsburgh's system but I would be so down with that

Haven't heard a single word about him from anywhere

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The only other Pirates rumors I've heard are Justin? Upton and they are actively shopping Pedro Alvarez.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Jose Oquendo posted:

The only other Pirates rumors I've heard are Justin? Upton and they are actively shopping Pedro Alvarez.

I've read there is interest in Zobrist and bringing Barmes back as well, though getting Aramis might nix that.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Vernacular posted:

Isn't 3B a slightly bigger need for the Angels now with Freese out?

Kyle Kubitza is supposedly going to be the 3B next year if things go as planned, though he didn't have a great stint in the majors earlier when Freese was hurt. Grant Green is another option although not any better. The comedy option is former #1 angels prospect Kaleb Cowart, who has had to repeat AA and then went down to A+, before getting sent to AAA where he has been tearing it up. Angels probably don't want to risk messing up his developmental mojo if he has just now gotten back on track.

Matt Joyce is an absolute tire fire, and Angels LF has combined to hit for a 64 OPS+. Even getting a below average bat would likely still be a massive upgrade offensively, especially since Joyce is a below average defender too.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Roasted Donut posted:

Haven't heard a single word about him from anywhere

Okay, must've just been random spitballing then.

I hope the Rangers hurry up and do whatever they're gonna do soon and get it over with

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
The Pirates already have a lovely busted-prospect lefty platoon 1B, why would they trade for Mitch Moreland? Also, why would anyone trade for Mitch Moreland?

e: Also, why would anyone trade for Pedro Alvarez.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Mornacale posted:

The Pirates already have a lovely busted-prospect lefty platoon 1B, why would they trade for Mitch Moreland? Also, why would anyone trade for Mitch Moreland?

Moreland is having a pretty good year, I'd absolutely take him on the Cardinals to platoon with terrible Mark Reynolds. Although, does Moreland have one more arb year left? If so, that kind of throws a kink in it (when Adams comes back next year).

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

cubs in on hamels

:pray:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

It'd never happen, but Pedro Alvarez would make sense on the Cardinals for the balance of this season. He could platoon with Reynolds at 1b and also provide some insurance for Matt Carpenter at third.

Sure there'd be like a billion strikeouts and horrific defense, but it'd guarantee a legit power bat is always available off the bench, unlike the current configuration where Peter Bourjos, Tony Cruz, Pete Kozma, and Dickshot Dan Johnson are your bench bats.

Then you just don't offer arbitration.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Have fun with Gillaspie, Angels.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
Super cheap second half tickets here we come! :D

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Mornacale posted:

Moreland isn't lovely and busted though? He's hitting well this season(131 OPS+) and he still has a year of what I'd expect to be relatively inexpensive arb left. He's just somewhat extraneous on the Rangers from a roster construction standpoint because they're obnoxiously LHB-heavy on both the big league club and the upper minors.

If I needed to upgrade 1B I'd probably rather have Lind, but that doesn't make Moreland worthless

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Moreland is having a pretty good year, I'd absolutely take him on the Cardinals to platoon with terrible Mark Reynolds. Although, does Moreland have one more arb year left? If so, that kind of throws a kink in it (when Adams comes back next year).

He's athletic enough that you could probably put him in a COF spot in the offseason and he wouldn't be a total disaster. There was a lot of talk of having him do that coming into this year before Prince willingly gave up first base.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Apparently Steve Cishek is a Cardinal now.

He makes more money and isn't as good as the other -shek, but I guess I still like it.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

FairGame posted:

He makes more money and isn't as good as the other -shek, but I guess I still like it.

Will Matheny use him though :iiam:

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Cishek to the Cards for someone called Kyle Barraclough.

e: Too old for the league he's in, 5.1 BB/9 in the minors. The Marlins better not be paying any money.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

FairGame posted:

2015 version of edward mujica is about to happen and you know it

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

mentholmoose posted:

Cishek to the Cards for someone called Kyle Barraclough.

e: Too old for the league he's in, 5.1 BB/9 in the minors. The Marlins better not be paying any money.

Cards are taking on the rest of his contract.

I like it, should help take some of the load off Rosie/Siegrist/Maness. plus Walden should be back soon, this could make the bullpen scary good.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I need more trades! I'm hooked on trades.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

I need more trades! I'm hooked on trades.

Enter a man named AJ. Sleep deprived from an overnight trip to Cuba and now filled with coffee, he's here to trade the entire starting 5.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ummmmm, isn't that a total steal of Cishek?? He's the guy with the should-be-illegal delivery right?

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011
^^ That's Capps.

Cishek move seems like a salary dump for ~a lost season~.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

bawfuls posted:

ummmmm, isn't that a total steal of Cishek?? He's the guy with the should-be-illegal delivery right?

No that's Carter Capps. Cishek is a righty side armer, hes got a much higher ERA, and worse walk and strikeout rates this year compared to his career averages. I'm sure he'll have a 1 ERA the rest of the year with the Cards though.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

bawfuls posted:

The Cards already have a guy in their bullpen with a delivery like that (Jordan Walden), they didn't need another.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Walden's injured, though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Pastrymancy posted:

Walden's injured, though.

In theory he should be back soonish but lol.

That is a good move for the cards though.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
Cishek is kind of busted but he should be a fine back of the pen addition.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Bob Shabazz posted:

Cishek is kind of busted but he will be good now that he's a cardinal

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bob Shabazz posted:

Cishek is kind of busted but he should be a fine back of the pen addition.

He's been okay since he came back up and has been good prior to this year

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Good Dog posted:

No that's Carter Capps. Cishek is a righty side armer, hes got a much higher ERA, and worse walk and strikeout rates this year compared to his career averages. I'm sure he'll have a 1 ERA the rest of the year with the Cards though.
Ah ok, that makes more sense now.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

MourningView posted:

In theory he should be back soonish but lol.

That is a good move for the cards though.

Walden pitched a scoreless IP in relief just yesterday.

E: in AA I mean

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
As much as I hate to suggest this, would it be worth it to both sides for the Cubs to trade Rizzo and a mid-level prospect for Hamels? I love Rizzo, but you can't give them Bryant, Schwarber, or Russell, and they don't want Castro or Baez and I doubt they'd be interested in Soler. And that would solve the whole "what do you do with Schwarber" problem. Even a chimp could play a serviceable 1st base.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm honestly surprised the Marlins got that much for Cishek considering he's making a lot for what he's producing.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Retail Slave posted:

As much as I hate to suggest this, would it be worth it to both sides for the Cubs to trade Rizzo and a mid-level prospect for Hamels?

How drunk are you right now?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Retail Slave posted:

As much as I hate to suggest this, would it be worth it to both sides for the Cubs to trade Rizzo and a mid-level prospect for Hamels? I love Rizzo, but you can't give them Bryant, Schwarber, or Russell, and they don't want Castro or Baez and I doubt they'd be interested in Soler. And that would solve the whole "what do you do with Schwarber" problem. Even a chimp could play a serviceable 1st base.

It isn't worth 1 season and a half of Hamels to trade a great young hitter who's on a great deal if he continues to be above average. Trade prospects first. You don't know what will happen to them.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Retail Slave posted:

:staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Retail Slave posted:

Even a chimp could play a serviceable 1st base.

Let me tell you about a man named Jason Giambi...

tadashi posted:

It isn't worth 1 season and a half of Hamels to trade a great young hitter who's on a great deal if he continues to be above average. Trade prospects first. You don't know what will happen to them.

Hamels is locked up through 2019.

• Locked thread