Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Harlock posted:

The Mets are pathetic.

people will look back on these years in like 2019 and say "yeah this when matt harvey knew he had no future here" when he's signing with the fuckin dodgers or something.

if they don't at least sign cespedes or upton or some poo poo in the offseason idk what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
When I first heard about the Mets trade I somehow conflated Kelly Johnson with Shawn Kelley and was really goddamned confused why the Mets were trying to pick up more pitching.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

CASHMAN WHAT R U DOIN

TRADE FUKKIN SEVARDINO AND THOSE FUCKIN BUMS FOR HAMELS

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
The idea behind Hamels for other young major league talent has been thrown around before, just not with Rizzo's name attached. Yasiel Puig's name was thrown out at one point, though unless the Dodgers add more I doubt the Phillies go for it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Phillies end up keeping Hamels. They have a ridiculous amount of money coming in next season when the new Comcast TV deal starts up, and Hamels will still be good for another three or four seasons at least. They can probably compete again with him still being a contributor.

Papelbon, on the other hand, absolutely needs to get traded soon.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

DeepDickPizza posted:

Saw a whole bunch of new posts in here and thought a blockbuster went down. Turns out Retail Slave just lost his drat mind.

I'll have you know I never had one to begin with. :colbert:

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Ken Rosenthal says Nats are interested in Papelbon because the Phillies might eat some of the salary

Ughhhhhhhhh I hate that guy so much

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Pastrymancy posted:

Ken Rosenthal says Nats are interested in Papelbon because the Phillies might eat some of the salary

I have faith that Rizzo wouldn't do something that stupid

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mentholmoose posted:

The idea behind Hamels for other young major league talent has been thrown around before, just not with Rizzo's name attached. Yasiel Puig's name was thrown out at one point, though unless the Dodgers add more I doubt the Phillies go for it.
Yasiel Puig is a 24 year old corner outfielder with like a 140 career wRC+ under team control through 2019 at well below market rates. He is more valuable than Cole Hamels.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Pastrymancy posted:

he is a dillhole but he's still a really good reliever.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Vertical Lime posted:

Atlanta Braves ‏@Braves
#Braves acquire RHP John Gant and RHP Rob Whalen from Mets in exchange for Kelly Johnson, Juan Uribe and cash considerations.

Why was this not posted yet.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

bawfuls posted:

Yasiel Puig is a 24 year old corner outfielder with like a 140 career wRC+ under team control through 2019 at well below market rates. He is more valuable than Cole Hamels.

Hey, I totally understand that, I just don't think the current Phillies front office does, because they are the current Phillies front office.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the Cubs are loving idiots if they trade any prospect for a major leaguer for this garbage-rear end team instead of packing it in and going for it next year.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
Doesn't Papelbon have some crazy clause in his contract that says he has to be the closer when he's on the roster? gently caress that noise.

Also, AJP is asking for 2 top prospects for Upton allegedly. The Mets balked at the price and I'm really not too surprised by this.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Good. Giving up a top prospect for a rental is questionable. Giving up two is ludicrous.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

Good. Giving up a top prospect for a rental is questionable. Giving up two is ludicrous.

You never know how much gms will pay with youngish bats. I guess it comes with the competitive balance first rounder if he walks right? But still...

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The Mets pitching isint going anywhere. Some offensive reinforcements for this year are desperately needed but still have Harvey and the rest under contract for 2 years before they need to start paying them. Need to plan for the whole window, not just this season.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

NEWS: Cole Hamels just threw a no-hitter.
VIEWS: It took him 129 pitches. Enjoy your dead arm whoever trades for him.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Hamels' trade value has been upgraded from Lars Anderson to Casey Kelly.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

garbage-rear end team

Weren't you excited at the idea of finishing .500 for the season?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
More reports of Mets scouting at the Reds/Rockies game.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I want to see a team with a low payroll and a few pieces from really being competitive (Houston?) take all the salary the Phillies want to dump (Hamels, Papelbon, Howard) and offer back a player to be named later or low level prospect. Ace for the postseason, good but overpriced closer, and basically a left-handed version of Chris Carter. Would RAJ do it? Is there anything RAJ wouldn't do?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
there is only one bad contract there

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Phillies have all kinds of cash and don't need to dump Howard if they need to destroy the returns for Hamels and Papelbon in order to do so.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

quote:

‏@Ken_Rosenthal

#Royals were close to acquiring Cueto from #Reds earlier tonight, sources tell me and @jonmorosi. Deal fell through.

Sources indicate that the problem was that one of the players going from the #Royals to the #Reds for Cueto did not check out medically.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
I think that can basically only refer to Kyle Zimmer.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That would make sense.

Will be interesting to see if that deal still happens with other players

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

R.D. Mangles posted:

the Cubs are loving idiots if they trade any prospect for a major leaguer for this garbage-rear end team instead of packing it in and going for it next year.

Dude, really?

There's four rookies in the starting lineup (three if Soler isn't a rookie anymore I don't know). This is an extremely young team. I wouldn't at all call it "garbage."

This team has been streaky all year. They sure as hell don't suck, but there are growing pains.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Apparently the backup pitcher told Cueto that he was going to get traded 10 minutes before the game tonight but it didn't happen and he threw 8 IP 0 ER 4 H

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

This guy is just some random blogger, but whatever, we posted Assman22 speculation in this thread before.

quote:

Joe DeMayo ‏@PSLToFlushing 5h5 hours ago

Hearing #Mets were willing to offer the #Rockies a 4 player package for Tulowitzki+cash. Offer headed by Wheeler with "3 other good names"

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope the Mets trade for Cargo and then never put him on the DL despite him being injured.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

davecrazy posted:

This guy is just some random blogger, but whatever, we posted Assman22 speculation in this thread before.

good lord, the Rockies maybe should have taken that

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 26, 2015

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mentholmoose posted:

Hey, I totally understand that, I just don't think the current Phillies front office does, because they are the current Phillies front office.
One of many reasons that deal will never happen.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
So are the Dodgers trading Puig? I'm rooting every day for that trade to happen.

Puig for Kirk Nieuwenhuis. Let's do it, Farhandrew.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
If the Mets trade for Tulowitzki they can have the best left side of the DL in the majors

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Rockies are almost as dumb as Phillies at this point. you'd think a franchise staring at the bottom of the barrel for the umpteenth time would want a huge return but nah gonna hold on to golden boy while the rest of the team burns

Beller
Apr 9, 2009

Groucho Marxist posted:

good player for bad player

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Puig for Kirk Nieuwenhuis. Let's do it, Farhandrew.

like clockwork

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Cueto is still going to the Royals per Rosenthal

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

i like the royals and want an i-70 series so this pleases me greatly

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
@JimBowden_ESPN
Johnny Cueto has NOT been told he’s been traded yet according to a source close to him

Jesus christ Walt stop being a dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Still waiting on the players to be revealed, but supposedly one is Brandon Finnegan

• Locked thread