Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jeff Sichoe posted:

As a non american I lol just lol that you guys have so many sub-human animals living in your country (regardless of race) that your police force has escalated to a military-grade 'shoot first, ask questions later' style of force.

Aren't you guys worried that, ya know, one wrong move when you're out having a few drinks and BAM you're loving dead? Or that the police seem to literally make things up as they go along without regard for proper process?

Or do the majority of goons (being white and middle class I assume) just not have to worry about this sort of negative interaction with your law enforcement?

Don't worry, wherever dumbfuck place you live is the same way

Sovereign citizens are idiots and I like watching them be owned hard by upstanding officers of the law. Thank you op for this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_3dDNPwJTU

Semi related to sovereign citizen dickheads are people who refuse to answer whether or not they are a US citizen at DHS checkpoints. You're technically not legally required to answer yes or no because DHS checkpoints are not the same as actual border checkpoints, and people have for some reason decided that arguing in circles and making the officer suspicious of you until they get loving fed up of you and tell you to go because legally they can't detain you unless their suspicion has reasonable proof is a better proposition than saying "yes". And then if the officer DOES decide that the person refusing to say if they are or are not a citizen of the fuckin country they're coming into is FOR SOME REASON suspicious you get the same "waaaah you're violating my right to be a lovely pissant to you!!" rigamarole as with freemen.

Features such comments as:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also, sovereign citizens are a worldwide epidemic of people. There's an Australian guy in like the first video posted in this thread. It's got very little to do with government and politics and very much to do with a human being's innate want to live outside the system. The vast, overwhelming majority of people ignore that want because they feel on the inside that they are better off living under the rules that are imposed on them. it's not my place to judge whether they actually are or not. Sovereign citizens are broken people who are unable to ignore that want. They can rave and rant about how it's really about exercising their freedoms all they want, it will get them nowhere because it's not true. Even if your rights are impeded upon in America by police or other people of authority, other countries may have laws preventing such impediment and sovereign citizens still exist there, not because they want to live a life of awareness for the law, but because they don't think they should be bound by it because they're loving stupid.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 17, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The "I'm not driving, I'm traveling" line from the guy sitting behind the wheel of a car who has just been pulled over for speeding is a good example of that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Dregs posted:

What will police do if you just sit there and exercise your right to remain silent, by actually just shutting the gently caress up? I'm gonna see if there are any videos on that....Just checked. they're all pretty boring. Seems to work pretty well, though.

They have to tell you of the right and you have to acknowledge it or you have to say that you're operating under it, or else it doesn't count as being in effect. Which is dumb, but not it's not the cops' fault that the law is that way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ahundredbux posted:

waht is a sovereign citizen

like what is .. a sovereign citizen i dont understand ar ethey just people who wanna be ab ove the law?

Yes. And they also think the law is wrong and harms and fools the citizens by *mumble mumble mumble*

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

yeah and this unfortunately has been confirmed constitutional by the courts. you still are under no obligation to answer their questions, and good for anyone that refuses to. gently caress them.

Can you or anybody that feels this way explain why you feel this way other than "gently caress the government maaaaaannnnnn"

Funnily enough as it turns out, border patrol checkpoints are important to have on roads that lead in and out of the country and not just literally at the line on the exact marker for the border between countries, who would have thought

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 19, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's actually not a waste of anybody's time at all if you don't act like a tool

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

what if I say "yes" but I'm lying

if the answer is "he can deduce you are not actually a citizen by other means" then there is no point in asking the question

if the answer is "he doesn't actually care whether you are or not but he has to ask the question because it's his job because this checkpoint is not actually intended to accomplish anything" then welp that's kind of my point

of course we all know that the real answer isn't either of these, though, right

Hey dumbass those checkpoints exist to stop people who made it past the actual border when they shouldn't have, they're not for you, which is why they let you go if you say yes. It's because they already know you're a legal citizen since the previous checkpoints let you through, and only an idiot would say 'no'. If you weren't they would have heard about it and been ready to be like "actually we heard otherwise lol". The only reason they still ask anyway is because they are legally still required to stop you because you are in a car going down their highway. I can't believe you're actually this much of an idiot, it's common sense dude.

On topic, Here is an article by Forbes explaining what sovereign citizens are that pretty much calls them dumbasses after lolling that Glenn Beck thinks sov cits don't exist for some weird reason.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It sure is a good thing that they explicitly don't detain you then, even those jerks in that vid I linked were free to go after they declined to answer since being a dickhead =/= reasonable suspicion.

• Locked thread