Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Trailer 1

Rotten Tomatoes score: 77%
Metacritic score: 65

BIFFORD'S REVIEW
I went in the theatre worrying that this would be the film where Marvel finally slips up and makes a lovely movie, but thankfully that was not the case. Marvel has pulled off another decent (though not spectacular) superhero flick. It's quite an impressive track record, and goddamn miraculous when you think at how bad Hollywood is at making decent films. Kevin Feige's management style is sure to be studied intensely by future scholars and Hollywood execs.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Ant-Man looks cool and I look forward to see it this weekend.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I saw Ant-Man and I enjoyed it. It was humourous and Paul Rudd was charming and relatable. The action had cool unique twists as a result of the shrinking and ants. A pleasant smaller scale Marvel movie.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

http://www.polygon.com/2015/7/15/8973663/ant-man-review ant science was not 100% correct

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
The relative size and grouping of those bullets to the ant in the poster is really bothering me.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rough Lobster posted:

Ant-Man looks cool and I look forward to see it this weekend.

I hope you're bringing a magnifying glass :downsrim:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So this is good?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm going to see this in a cinema. It will be a movie probably.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In my opinion it's one of the best Marvel films so far on par with Iron Man 3 and Guardians of the Galaxy. The villain has actual motivation and character and is even a bit sympathetic in parts. They stakes are a lot lower and the story is more personal than in most Marvel films where they are saving the world from something. It's also very well structured and never feels like itīs dragging on and there isn't really any filler. It's also really funny. Micheal Pena really kills it as Luis and is probably one of the best characters in any Marvel film.

It's good.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man
It has decent effects, some funny lines & quips and a familiar plot and of course there's that dude Peyton Reed's fingerprints all over it. Five bags of popcorn!

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

FreudianSlippers posted:

In my opinion it's one of the best Marvel films so far on par with Iron Man 3 and Guardians of the Galaxy.
This I must disagree with. It's a decent installment but it's certainly not their best effort.

FreudianSlippers posted:

The villain has actual motivation and character and is even a bit sympathetic in parts.
I was actually sympathizing with the villain at first, because he had a point that Pym was trying to thwart the inevitability of human scientific progress. If Pym refuses to share his discovery, somebody else will discover it (and take the credit). Then we see Cross trying to sell his weapon to Hydra, which makes little sense when he could make tons of money selling his invention through legitimate channels.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

3D, or not 3D, that is the question.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The 3D's not awful, but it doesn't really add much.

I have not seen this movie yet.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
http://teamcoco.com/video/paul-rudd-shows-an-exclusive-ant-man-clip

This is my favorite gag/running joke in television. I can't believe he's been doing this for like 15 years.

BlackJosh fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 17, 2015

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Sir Nose posted:

3D, or not 3D, that is the question.

All Marvel 3D movies are post conversion, so never 3D.

Also, just got back, I enjoyed it. It's a fun film and certainly better than Avengers 2.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The 3D in the trailer I saw before Fury Road wasn't anything special.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
This movie should have been two hours of Scott and his cronies doing heists and getting in to wacky hijinks. The worst parts of the movie were when it tried to connect it to the bigger part of the MCU or throw in the tired superhero tropes like a supervillian that's a twisted version of the hero.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

duz posted:

All Marvel 3D movies are post conversion, so never 3D.

That's generally how I feel about it. I saw Thor 2 and Captain America 2 in 3D and it added nothing. But I thought Guardians of the Galaxy 3D was surprisingly good, so now there's a precedent. I thought maybe the shrinky stuff in Ant-Man might look cool in 3D.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jose Oquendo posted:

This movie should have been two hours of Scott and his cronies doing heists and getting in to wacky hijinks. The worst parts of the movie were when it tried to connect it to the bigger part of the MCU or throw in the tired superhero tropes like a supervillian that's a twisted version of the hero.

I dunno, I felt that the couple of greater MCU references that we got worked really well. This is the first film to really address "Why don't we just call in the Avengers?"

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

jivjov posted:

I dunno, I felt that the couple of greater MCU references that we got worked really well. This is the first film to really address "Why don't we just call in the Avengers?"

Yeah, I thought the tie-ins worked really well, and one was a high point of the movie.

All in all, I thought Ant Man was a delightfully fun little movie. Scott's crew was great, Hope was great, the de-aging of Michael Douglas didn't look nearly as creepy as it did in Tron.

The final post credit teaser is completely superfluous though.

SD87
Jun 7, 2011
It is worth seeing this movie for the visuals alone

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think the best scene(s) in the movie were the one where Scott discovers that the out-of-the-way place is the goddamned Avengers building, especially when Falcon radios in to tell whoever is on the other end not to report to Cap that he got his rear end kicked by a guy who can shrink.

Edit: and Scott trying to get a story winnowed down to 4-5 bullet points from someone who has to tell you the Whole Story? Flashbacks to any time my dad has tried to tell me a story about anything. Hit too close to home on that one...

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 17, 2015

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

It was enjoyable and the action was good, sometimes great, always imaginative. Overall the visuals were top notch. One particular moment is really, really good. Rudd and Douglas are great.

It's better than you're expecting, probably. Really weird marketing for this movie though. You could watch a half hour sitcom and see one commercial that looks like it's making fun of itself, and the next break it looks like it's taking itself way more seriously. Pretty standard for action/comedies but this risky concept could've used a better hook to get the audience interested.

I thought this was much better than Age of Ultron, take that as you will.

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

howe_sam posted:

There were definitely a lot of "oohs" and "oh shits" being uttered by the diehards who stayed for the post-credits stinger, but it's entirely due to what they're saying and you have to be a comics nerd to get the significance of it. In other words, it's been many years now of "wave 1 of the audience leaves as soon as the credits start, wave 2 leaves after the animatic credits end, leaving just diehard nerds who sit through all of it" and they know this.

I enjoyed Ant-Man a lot more than Avengers: Age of Ultron, which was perfectly enjoyable albeit completely unmemorable (I forgot most of that movie by the time I got to my car). Ant-Man avoids an annoyance I've had with the Marvel movies since around oh, Iron Man 2, in which superhero movies seem to all have basically the same finale. Ant-Man also doesn't feel like an extended commercial for future movies that haven't been made yet; the acknowledgements of a shared universe are enough to make sense without weighing down this particular story. It's also quite funny; I heard some audience members describe it as "stoner humor," but I don't really agree. It's definitely closer to Adam McKay's style of comedy than whatever Edgar Wright would have offered, but since I don't care for Edgar Wright's work I'm fine with this.

It'll be interesting to see how this one does and whether people like it for being a different sort of movie in some aspects than the other Marvel Studios films. What will not be interesting is all the "are superhero movies OVER?" articles that will result from the fact that this movie isn't set up to be some record-shattering sensation or the typical tried-and-true clickbait angles, but I suppose we get the journalism we deserve.

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 17, 2015

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Holy poo poo, this is probably my favorite or second favorite of the Marvel movies.

It easily had the best looking and choreographed action out of any of the these movies. Those sequences were Edgar Wright as all hell. Sucks that he didn't direct them himself but still ages better than anything else Marvel has done.

The plot was simple enough, the guy who played Cross managed to show and sell his motivations pretty well unlike other MCU villains besides Loki.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Was a nice movie, fits in with all the others.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

MisterBibs posted:

I think the best scene(s) in the movie were the one where Scott discovers that the out-of-the-way place is the goddamned Avengers building, especially when Falcon radios in to tell whoever is on the other end not to report to Cap that he got his rear end kicked by a guy who can shrink.

Edit: and Scott trying to get a story winnowed down to 4-5 bullet points from someone who has to tell you the Whole Story? Flashbacks to any time my dad has tried to tell me a story about anything. Hit too close to home on that one...
That scene puzzled me. If the Avengers security could detect Ant-Man, then does it go off every time an insect lands on the building?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Baron Bifford posted:

That scene puzzled me. If the Avengers security could detect Ant-Man, then does it go off every time an insect lands on the building?

Sensors have a way of detecting humans no matter how small, or maybe sensed the suit and tech. Mostly thinking too hard about it

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Watched it tonight and thought the movie was great, especially the comedy in it and Luis' story telling. The action scenes to me were the highlight of the film; the back and forth transitions between perspectives during a fight scene and change in scale with the audio (especially in the final fight scene) was done tremendously well.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I am completely shocked to see everyone so positive about the movie. The previews made it look not good at all. Might check it out now based on this.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Just watched it, and drat! I expected it to be good, but not this good. Like, I know there were going to be funny bits, and I like Paul Rudd, but I ended up laughing way more than anticipated.

My favorite bit is how Cassie loved that ugly doll her dad gave her, so of course she would love having a giant ant as a pet. Even more hilarious because my 6 year old niece is going through a similar phase.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

BlackJosh posted:

http://teamcoco.com/video/paul-rudd-shows-an-exclusive-ant-man-clip

This is my favorite gag/running joke in television. I can't believe he's been doing this for like 15 years.

I love the spin they took on the gag this time. That's great.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Coming in on the hype train. I liked this movie, and would watch it again.

I really hope the get Wright to do more action sequences for Marvel, although I feel as though that's impossible. It's a shame, he has such a clever way of getting powers to work with personalities in a fight.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Like I'm generally the most social justice of warrior's but holy poo poo, did this dude not watch the movie.

They literally explain why Hope isn't given the suit, Janet went subatomic and for all intents and purposes died. He picked Scott because he is complerely expendable. it's part of Pym's arc so the point we get to in the end he realizes that he shouldn't fear that possibility and works with Hope on the new Wasp suit.

Fridging is way over used jesus.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I can't believe I'm going to be the one who comes in here and says that the film was more bad than good and is probably the first Marvel release that I have no interest in seeing again.

Visually and technically, the film is a pleasure to experience. The shrinking and ant effects were clever, full of character and charm. Those sequences were all way more entertaining than probably anyone might have expected.

Everything else about the film, though? In a nutshell, I would describe every non-superpowered aspect of Ant-Man with one word: "generic." Scott was generic. His crew was generic. Hope was generic. Hank was generic. The plot was generic. Every aspect of the storyline, everything that happens, everything that anyone says or does, is so consummately, mechanically, by-the-numbers trite that you can predict nearly every "thing" that the film does five minutes before it actually happens. Yes, it's fun to see sight gags and hear banter and watch giant ants run around, but the fact is that Ant-Man provides absolutely no surprises narratively, thematically, or character-wise. It truly feels like a movie that was churned out from a script-making computer program designed to hit the most generic and complaisant beats of a feature film.

The one thing that you probably won't be able to predict about the film is how the villainous Darren Cross is going to act, but that's only because his entire character is lame and nonsensical and ends up going crazy and evil because A) daddy* didn't love him enough and B) science particles literally made him evil. Yellowjacket is probably the worst, most halfassed MCU villain to date, which is such a shame because he definitely looks the coolest.

*Daddy, in this case, refers to his employer.

Dexo posted:

Like I'm generally the most social justice of warrior's but holy poo poo, did this dude not watch the movie.

They literally explain why Hope isn't given the suit, Janet went subatomic and for all intents and purposes died. He picked Scott because he is complerely expendable. it's part of Pym's arc so the point we get to in the end he realizes that he shouldn't fear that possibility and works with Hope on the new Wasp suit.
You're using the exact part of the plot that the reviewer didn't like to justify the parts of the plot that they didn't like. "Pym's arc" didn't spring forth into existence from thin air, it was crafted by the filmmakers. Of course it "makes sense" that Hope is sidelined due to the context and circumstances of the plot, of course it's "in-character" for Pym to be overprotective after what happened to Janet. And yes, this is set up as the central conflict for both characters and is resolved by the end of the film, with Pym seeing the error of his ways. But those circumstances didn't need to be there at all if the creators of the film didn't want them to be. They could have come up with any number of perfectly, equally valid contexts where Hope managed to suit up and be a superhero in this film if that's what they really wanted.

And I know someone's gonna say "It just wouldn't fit the story, the way they did it here is the best way for the story to be," in which case I would ask: why? Why is this way the best? There are any number of other ways they could have plotted out this aspect of the film, they certainly aren't beholden to any plots or character arcs that make their film sexist as a matter of necessity. Maybe she finds the Wasp suit herself and steals it. Maybe Hank has his change of heart before the heist instead of when the whole movie is conveniently over. Maybe they run into an unforeseen snafu the night beforehand and absolutely needed two shrinkers in order to pull off their plan.

It doesn't matter how much the storyline lampshades the fact that Pym sidelining Hope is bad and sexist; the filmmakers were the ones who constructed the storyline of Pym sidelining her in the first place. It doesn't matter how much the film goes "Hey, don't you feel bad for Hope getting this lovely treatment? Don't you wish she got to be a superhero too?" when the only reason she isn't a superhero is because the filmmakers circumnavigated a labyrinthine context so that it would "make sense" for the one single competent female character to play second fiddle to the male lead for the entire first film. Frankly, I agree with that article; this film may or may not be the worst Marvel film in many other respects, but it's definitely the worst when it comes to dealing with female characters.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 17, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
That was much better han it had any right to be with all he production problems. A lot of fun too, Luis storytelling was brilliant. The action was quite clever

train fight was highly entertaining and the train being thrown out bought the theatre down. Tha was a great visual gag. Really surprised Janet was fridged, was Hope a comic character? I dont remember Hank and Janet having children....?

Also Ant-Man is quite definatly quite a bit better than Age of Ultron. I wouldnt call it Guardians of the Galaxy great but it's certainly up there with say Iron Man, abeit very different tone.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

howe_sam posted:

What was it, I'm only willing to wait for mid credits scenes.

Dexo posted:

Sensors have a way of detecting humans no matter how small, or maybe sensed the suit and tech. Mostly thinking too hard about it

Also he still weighed his 180lbs or whatever despite being the size of an ant, I'm sure that's enough to trip sensors.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

BrianWilly posted:

Frankly, I agree with that article; this film may or may not be the worst Marvel film in many other respects, but it's definitely the worst when it comes to dealing with female characters.

If Janet was a dude and Hope was too their arc would literally read like a cliche 80s action piece. Dad dies doing something crazy stupid awesome, son wants to get into but everyone goes "No, that is too badical for you", ultimately dude ends up doing the awesome thing. We just follow it from an outsiders perspective and thus end before she gets to go do awesome poo poo.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Curious, is it possible to kill any female character in a movie/series without it being considered fridging.

Fridging always seemed like the female died a gruesome unheroic (killed off screen and stuffed in a freezer) death(or was raped brainwashed etc etc) with no other purpose than to die or affect the hero.

Janet "died" to save people from a nuke. Yeah no poo poo her death was written and crafted by a writer who was setting up a world. However she died as a result of her own agency as a character and not a hero's or a villian's agency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I kinda groaned at the scene where Cross kills one of his execs for some business reason that I forget, which struck me as a cheap way to mark him out as the villain. Aside from this, it is only Cross' attempt to sell the tech to Hydra that truly makes him the bad guy. Otherwise he is just an arms manufacturer trying to sell a new weapon. I was actually rooting against Hank and Scott up to that point, because Hank just comes across as a big Luddite. By destroying Pym Technologies he ruins a lot of people's livelihoods, all to suppress a technology that might get rediscovered anyway at some point in the future.

Cross is one of the weaker Marvel villains because his villainy feels a little forced. Oh well. He's better than Ultron, at least.

• Locked thread