Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ensign_Ricky posted:

You know, with the emphasis on the keychain in multiple scenes, showing it off, I had a feeling what was gonna happen, but it was still loving awesome.

:agreed:

Also, I just realized how easy Luis could knock out those guards. Just one punched a couple of dudes. You go back to his first scene and what is it? Him talking about how he was the only one to knock out the big guy saying goodbye to Scott. Dude's pretty good at throwing a punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Just go back from seeing it with a big audience. Audience loved it. Quite a few kids, too. It's very funny like all the Marvel films have been. The quantum shrinking scene was trippy as gently caress. I think this is going to be another hit :)

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Movie was pretty good. Not great, but good. I went to a 2:00 showing, so that might explain it, but the theater was basically empty. There were a couple families with kids down in the general seating area, and about 8 people up in the 21+ balcony where I was. Hope it does well, because it's a fun movie.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Basically, my thoughts on this movie are that it needed more Edgar Wright. There were parts where you knew Edgar Wright is involved, and those needed to be even more Edgar Wright-y.
Then there were the other parts that you know Edgar Wright wasn't involved in, and those needed to be done by Edgar Wright. It was a good, fun movie, but Edgar Wright could've elevated it to be great. As it stands it's pretty decent, better than I thought the movie would turn out when it was announced that Edgar Wright left the project. Edgar Wright.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Kerrrrrrr posted:

So many great moments: "It's not a keychain", Thomas the Tank Engine, giant ant pet, FALCON!!!! :syoon:, we're backin' up. we're backin it up. Luis going back for the poor bullet-ant'd guard. Actually everything with Luis.

One major problem Marvel has had with its movies (I haven't seen the last few so I don't know if this is still the case) is that the third act is usually the weakest and Ant-Man is like a complete inversion of that. The first 2/3rd of the movie are mostly a slow burn setting up and character-building but when the heist finally starts the hits just keep on coming. "It's not a keychain" would have a been the perfect :master: for the movie to climax on but then they go above the call of duty and do another three or four other gags like that that continue to one-up each other. The way that the climax played around with size and perspective to such degrees was fantastic, especially when they had those brief cutaways showing showing normal perspective for comparison.

Blue Star posted:

The quantum shrinking scene was trippy as gently caress.

I started thinking a lot about the movie Phase IV about halfway through the movie because it's the only other movie I could think of that treated ants with such power and respect also did a lot of special effects shots that showed the ants up-close and personal, and whether intentional homage or happy coincidence I loved that Ant-Man managed to also have a really trippy sequence towards the end.

Really I wish Phase IV was still on Netflix because it's a rad movie and an ant siege movie would make a perfect chaser to the ant heist movie that is Ant-Man.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So, who thinks either the Time or Soul Infinity Stone are hidden in the Quantum Realm?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sleeveless posted:

The way that the climax played around with size and perspective to such degrees was fantastic, especially when they had those brief cutaways showing showing normal perspective for comparison.

"HEARGH!"
*dink*

never got old.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Movie was awesome. Felt like a comic book movie, much more so than Avengers 2.

Apparently there is an Easter egg in the quantum realm? I completely missed it if there was.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Oh yeah, the special effects they used to de-age Michael Douglas to his Wall Street-aged self for the flashback at the beginning was drat near flawless. I remember being impressed at how Tron Legacy regressed Jeff Bridges to his Starman-era self back in the day but this was a whole other level.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Sleeveless posted:

Oh yeah, the special effects they used to de-age Michael Douglas to his Wall Street-aged self for the flashback at the beginning was drat near flawless. I remember being impressed at how Tron Legacy regressed Jeff Bridges to his Starman-era self back in the day but this was a whole other level.

Yeah, that was probably the most jarring thing for me. The magic of computers, I guess. Same for how they aged up Hayley Atwell in that same scene.

e; by jarring I mean that I wasn't expecting that high level of aging/de-aging. Seemed a little weird but it was great for the scene

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I really liked the movie, I thought it was the best since Winter Soldier.

Paul Rudd leading the ants was a lot of fun, and Yellowjacket was a menacing villain who was at the right fit.. The train fight was hilarious, especially when they kept showing it from the kids perspective. The smaller scale of the movie was nice too, without having to act like the planet is about to explode. Good Agent Carter and Gregg Turkington cameos too.

Michael Peņa was funny, but I didn't like his exaggerated accent as ethnic comic relief. Probably because he did such a great job in End of Watch, I mean he could have been just as funny without sounding like a Fast and the Furious extra. The stepdad hating Paul Rudd but coming to like him was too cookie cutter too. Although I liked that the giant ant stuck around. I didn't like that both "oh no, Ant Man is doomed!"' moments were resolved by him remembering he had the blue discs.

Overall fantastic. Glad the infinity gems were no where to be found.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes

synthetik posted:

Movie was awesome. Felt like a comic book movie, much more so than Avengers 2.

Apparently there is an Easter egg in the quantum realm? I completely missed it if there was.

I could have sworn I saw an outline of someone for a split second but it might have been a case of trying too hard to notice something that wasnt there

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Sam Rockwell should have been Cross

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Big Bob Pataki posted:

I could have sworn I saw an outline of someone for a split second but it might have been a case of trying too hard to notice something that wasnt there

Only seen the movie once but yeah I also got this vibe. Nothing came of it so I figured I had just imagined it but I could have sworn I saw an outline halfway through the quantum realm ride

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Big Bob Pataki posted:

I think the consensus is that there is a silhouette or outline of a person. I thought I saw a flash of wings, so I'm assuming it was Janet shown to still be there. Other people are speculating it has something to do with Dr. Strange.

I hope Michael Douglas returns as Hank Pym in Civil War and just goes around punching everyone.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

I think the consensus is that there is a silhouette or outline of a person. I thought I saw a flash of wings, so I'm assuming it was Janet shown to still be there. Other people are speculating it has something to do with Dr. Strange.

I hope Michael Douglas returns as Hank Pym in Civil War and just goes around punching everyone.

It was clearly one of the micronauts. :colbert:

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I thought it was a fun little movie. It wasn't an EVENT like the Avengers or Batman/Superman/Spider-Man. Marvel movies are best when the stakes are personal, not world sized. I would expect that if there's a second movie that they would find a way to bring back his wife.

Marvel needs to get their hands on the Fantastic Four. They've done a marvelous job of interpreting even lesser characters and FF was the crown jewel series for a long time.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Ensign_Ricky posted:

You know, with the emphasis on the keychain in multiple scenes, showing it off, I had a feeling what was gonna happen, but it was still loving awesome.
Yes that is indeed the best example of Chekhov's Gun in recent memory

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The whole movie, I was building myself up to get mad that they didn't do it, and then they did it, and it was wonderful.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I enjoyed the movie a lot but it felt really cheap and generic in a lot of places. If it wasn't in the MCU it would have been completely ignored and on a bargain bin shelf within a week.

As I said though, I liked it.

mehmedbasic
Jul 6, 2015
Well after Guardians of The Galaxy, I pretty much trust anything with a Marvel stamp.

Looking forward to watching this one, it's nice to see they emphasize telling stories and cross-movie world-building instead of just cashing in.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Rough Lobster posted:

Ant-Man was great. The cast was fun and the movie was funny. Michael Douglas was a badass. Corey Stoll does a great job as an unhinged villian. Michael Pena was a showstealer, like everyone says. Didn't care for Hope's character, but I think that's kinda the point. Paul Rudd was good and his daughter was adorable, you really want to root for the guy. There were actually a few horrific scenes, and some crazy existential poo poo that I really really enjoyed. It really upped the stakes. My wife thought the ants were gross and kept cringing at them. I thought they were adorable, especially the crazy ants.

anyway most importantly, they made Ant-Man and his powers really loving cool. I can't wait to see what they do with the characters next.
My stream of consciousness review from BSS.

Cool movie, go see it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
As someone who isn't a fan of bugs/insects, I got the heebie-jeebies from some of the scenes where things were swarming with ants.

Oh yeah, and Evangeline Lilly is a fox, but that haircut did nothing for her.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

So it turns out the best Marvel movies are the ones who don't try to be super hero movies (GotG was a caper, Winter Soldier was a spy thriller, Ant-Man was a heist movie).

Now I can't wait for Dr Strange because that has the potential to be really loving weird.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Sleeveless posted:

The one movie that is totally going to be completely awful and bomb hard, bankrupt Marvel, end superhero movies forever, and single-handedly return us to the golden age of mature and complicated films that was the 70s:

-The Avengers
-Guardians of the Galaxy
-Ant Man
-???

Sorry, writers of lovely clickbait articles and bitter internet film snobs, Ant-Man ruled and everybody I saw it with loved it. If anything a movie like Ant-Man being so good in spite of the behind-the-scenes drama and rushed production is proof that superheroes as a concept are so flexible and audiences are so open-minded and willing that it's going to stick around for a long, long time.

I feel the same way. If Ant Man can work, and they can navigate through Dr. Strange without turning people off, then the MCU is going to be around for as long as Marvel/Disney wants it to be.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Loved Ant-Man, and the ants were great. They really made the movie for me. Thanks, ants. Thants.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Doronin posted:

I feel the same way. If Ant Man can work, and they can navigate through Dr. Strange without turning people off, then the MCU is going to be around for as long as Marvel/Disney wants it to be.

Though it doesn't really matter for Disney if the MCU peters out after the next round of movies since they have a decade or so of Star Wars films lined up now.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You could see the seams in this one, there's lots of stuff Edgar Wright clearly would've babied more and his editing style is very distinct. However outside of Iron Man 3 its the one most resembling a movie than a TV show. Part of that is that I would rather watch Michael Pena eat cereal than than most of these bozos in any of these movies do anything.

Despite the obvious butchery, it's easily at the top.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Also after all the talk about "fridging", that particular character does the most badass thing in the whole film, that is, sacrificing herself without hesitation and the male character she inspires is deeply flawed and fragile.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Yeah Pena was the highlight for me, and I couldn't stop laughing during all his stories for jobs, or even as he kept repeating "just back it up"

They also did a great job making the supporting cast seem significant while having them be normal people who are never required to do anything extraordinary.

My only real complaint is they didn't have enough on the decay of Pym and Stoll's relationship, the hatred didn't feel earned.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 18, 2015

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

:agreed:

Also, I just realized how easy Luis could knock out those guards. Just one punched a couple of dudes. You go back to his first scene and what is it? Him talking about how he was the only one to knock out the big guy saying goodbye to Scott. Dude's pretty good at throwing a punch.
It's a standard trope of superhero stories. Cops and guards are laughably bad. Remember in Amazing Spider-Man 2 when Harry, a teenager with a terminal illness, manages to easily overcome those prison guards?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Very disappointed for the most part.

The bad

I didn't think Paul Rudd was going to work and my fears proved well founded. He let the film down badly. Very unconvincing and his humour totally fell flat for me and the audience.

Didn't like any of Paul's crime buddies either. - the flashback bits where they're revealing the path of the story etc was poo poo. I don't even want to get into the stupidity of the bad guy shooting an ant out of mid-air then 10 minutes laser being unable to shoot the side of a barn door with his lasers :negative:

quote:

you'll pay for that

Could be the worst line I've ever seen spoken.

Shoehorning in the Falcon and then the bit at the end where they recruit him :negative:

Another disposable forgettable bad guy with bizarre plans and ridiculous setups - Marvel need to start nailing this poo poo on the head because it is ruining the solo films nevermind the Avenger movies.

The good

The action sequences were fun and they made really good use of him resizing for the fights. The quantum resizing bollocks was a bit daft but hey, easily forgivable.

Evangeline made me cry when Michael was telling her about her Mum :( That was some good acting from her and him, to be fair.

5/10 from me, Clive.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

WastedJoker posted:

I don't even want to get into the stupidity of the bad guy shooting an ant out of mid-air then 10 minutes laser being unable to shoot the side of a barn door with his lasers :negative:

He had probably fired a gun before, and knew how to do it. I bet it was the first time he'd ever been inside that suit. If the lasers on the suit were just guns, sure, but you can't expect two completely different things, in completely different positions, with completely different firing mechanisms, and completely different recoil, to react the same way, even if the guy is an expert at one of them. It's like asking why an American football player who's really good at throwing a ball isn't also just as good at passing in soccer.

Also I don't see how "is an arms dealer and wants to make money" is a bizarre plan.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Pretty fun movie, plenty of charm, I do dig it. Didn't love it though, maybe my 5th favorite Marvel movie so far. I do like most of them though so it's not that bad of a ranking.

I don't really think it's a heist movie. Terminator 2 is as much of a heist movie. In that they want to break into a place to get a thing. Ditto for this. Other than the brief robbing of the house early in the film, it's just your standard action comedy. There's a big training montage and then they infiltrate the enemy place to get a thing etc. That makes it a heist movie?

Fast 5 , that I can see being called a heist movie. They spend the majority of the movie planning this big elaborate robbery, and then they do it, and it's big involved process. Plus, their goal is to get tons of money for their own gain.

Enjoyable movie, just not very different from the Marvel mold so far. It is a superhero movie. Iron Man takes out a few more people but this is in a very similar mold to that film. Plus, Iron Man was also notably comedic. RDJ got more laughs out of me than Rudd here, and I'm a fan of Rudd.

Darth Brooks posted:

I thought it was a fun little movie. It wasn't an EVENT like the Avengers or Batman/Superman/Spider-Man. Marvel movies are best when the stakes are personal, not world sized. I would expect that if there's a second movie that they would find a way to bring back his wife.
From the way Pym paints it, the world is doomed to chaos if the villain unleashes this tech. So they're saving the world. Not in an immediate there's a black hole bomb trying to eat the planet sense, but the stakes are still world sized.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 18, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You could see the seams in this one, there's lots of stuff Edgar Wright clearly would've babied more and his editing style is very distinct.

The part where he's fighting his way through the security guards from the containment room to the helicopter really drove this home since it's pretty similar in setup to Wright's leaked test footage, so you have just enough of an idea of how he might have done it for it to come off worse in comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-pFrplmexo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yep. I don't think Reed managed the action particularly well, you can see that Wright was clearly using comedy timing to show how awesome the power could be. It was reliant on editing and camera tricks rather than depicting mini world. It works best to play the absurdity.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
After watching that test footage it's a drat shame Edgar Wright didn't direct this one. If only he just said "yeah, whatever" and put the Avengers stuff in or whatever Marvel wanted him to do.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

He had probably fired a gun before, and knew how to do it. I bet it was the first time he'd ever been inside that suit. If the lasers on the suit were just guns, sure, but you can't expect two completely different things, in completely different positions, with completely different firing mechanisms, and completely different recoil, to react the same way, even if the guy is an expert at one of them. It's like asking why an American football player who's really good at throwing a ball isn't also just as good at passing in soccer.

Also I don't see how "is an arms dealer and wants to make money" is a bizarre plan.

I was assuming that it wasn't really even an aimed shot, he was just unloading the pistol in the general direction to maybe slow him down, because that's an instinctive reaction even if it wouldn't work. Antony was hit by incredible happenstance.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I think Cross opening fire on the swarm of ants was clearly out of rage/panic and hitting Antony (RIP) was just pure luck. As well, I get the impression he never wore or tested the suit out before so his lack of accuracy with the twin lasers is just him being a novice. There's nothing more to it than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Madurai posted:

I was assuming that it wasn't really even an aimed shot, he was just unloading the pistol in the general direction to maybe slow him down, because that's an instinctive reaction even if it wouldn't work. Antony was hit by incredible happenstance.

Also this. But even IF he was a crack shot with a pistol, it doesn't mean he'd also be one with big rear end shoulder mounted laser guns that he's never used before.

• Locked thread