Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Out of all the superhero heist movies we've had, this is clearly the best.

And does this count as the first appearance of Spider-Man in the Marvel-verse? "we've got ones who jump, ones who swing, ones who climb..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

poparena posted:

There's one small scene I really liked, where the building is rigged to explode, and Michael Peņa is trying to escape, but he remembers a guard he knocked unconscious earlier and turns back for him. It's a nice "human life matters" moment that automatically makes this movie better than Man of Steel.

Shame about the other guy, really.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Ensign_Ricky posted:

And maybe this is a dumb gripe but the whole timing of him putting on the Yellowjacket suit felt really off. He was out of sight for maybe 10 seconds and then BOOM!

Earlier in the movie it was established that it only takes 10 seconds. Somehow.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Doronin posted:

I really can't think of anything I disliked about it, and I'd put it in my top 3-4 MCU films to date. Plus, I love heist movies, and that combined with the fact that I've always actually liked the Ant-Man as a character was a good marriage of ideas for me.

I love heist movies, the analogy I've decided to go with is "you know how the modern Italian Job is half heist half Mini Cooper commercial? This one's half heist half super-powered punching."

It's not a repeat viewing movie for me though. I liked it well enough, but something didn't quite click for me.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

The way that the climax played around with size and perspective to such degrees was fantastic, especially when they had those brief cutaways showing showing normal perspective for comparison.

"HEARGH!"
*dink*

never got old.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The whole movie, I was building myself up to get mad that they didn't do it, and then they did it, and it was wonderful.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Gyges posted:

Are Jews an infamously magical ethnicity? Other than Golems I can't think of any Jewish magics that have penetrated the fabric of the culture.

Kabbalah/Numerology's the big one, but that's in the cultural mind less as a menacing magic and more as crystal hippie woo-woo. At the core (there's a bunch of "hidden knowledge about the universe" built on top) it's about words having power and how to manipulate them. The Golem's a prime example, it's brought to life by the Word, but erasing one letter turns emet (truth) into met (dead). 18 is a lucky number in Jewish culture because that's the numerological equivalent of chai (life, pronounced with a ch-sound English doesn't have an equivalent for, not like the tea).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

They're Nazis without the race-blaming.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

Those first trailers seemed to be trying to nail down the tone, but kind of sounded a little obnoxious. The 'Can we change the name?' exchange that's used as a comedy beat in the trailer isn't present in the finished version so I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel were tinkering at the time with how funny it should be.

"I'm Ant-Man [...] I know, I didn't pick the name." made me cringe. When looking it up another trailer had "I'm Ant-Man [...] Iron Man was taken." I'm glad they cut any sort of quip entirely from that scene, but I suspect a DVD blooper reel will have about a million of them that they just riffed on.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

What was Luis referring to at the end with his line "He said yes"? I apparently got lost in the convolutions of his story, but it seemed to me that he was referring to Ant Man getting a gig with the Avengers. Am I wrong?

The whole "did she tell him to tell you that yadda yadda yadda" is a convoluted way of saying "is this a setup knowing it would reach Luis/Scott." So the last line is that Falcon isn't just looking for Ant-Man, he found him and is saying hello.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also in Ant Man they remember to go back and get that security guard they punched out earlier when the building is imploding.

Pity he didn't grab the other one from the pump room.

• Locked thread