Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Movie was pretty good. Not great, but good. I went to a 2:00 showing, so that might explain it, but the theater was basically empty. There were a couple families with kids down in the general seating area, and about 8 people up in the 21+ balcony where I was. Hope it does well, because it's a fun movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

I think the consensus is that there is a silhouette or outline of a person. I thought I saw a flash of wings, so I'm assuming it was Janet shown to still be there. Other people are speculating it has something to do with Dr. Strange.

I hope Michael Douglas returns as Hank Pym in Civil War and just goes around punching everyone.

It was clearly one of the micronauts. :colbert:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

WastedJoker posted:

I don't even want to get into the stupidity of the bad guy shooting an ant out of mid-air then 10 minutes laser being unable to shoot the side of a barn door with his lasers :negative:

He had probably fired a gun before, and knew how to do it. I bet it was the first time he'd ever been inside that suit. If the lasers on the suit were just guns, sure, but you can't expect two completely different things, in completely different positions, with completely different firing mechanisms, and completely different recoil, to react the same way, even if the guy is an expert at one of them. It's like asking why an American football player who's really good at throwing a ball isn't also just as good at passing in soccer.

Also I don't see how "is an arms dealer and wants to make money" is a bizarre plan.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Madurai posted:

I was assuming that it wasn't really even an aimed shot, he was just unloading the pistol in the general direction to maybe slow him down, because that's an instinctive reaction even if it wouldn't work. Antony was hit by incredible happenstance.

Also this. But even IF he was a crack shot with a pistol, it doesn't mean he'd also be one with big rear end shoulder mounted laser guns that he's never used before.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

Yep. He goes by the name Giant-man at one point. Guaranteed they'll figure this out and go for it in Infinity War part 2.

I wouldn't be surprised if, instead of Scott becoming Giant-Man, they introduce Goliath.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ah yes, the racial stereotype that latinos are into white wine and fine art. What a terrible, racist movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

The joke is that you wouldn't expect a funny non-white man to be interested in these things. But he is!

Yes, you might even say it's undermining the stereotypes that people hold of lower class minorities, and acknowledging via humor that they are not just walking cliches.

Basically your argument here seems like if minorities are shown acting like stereotypes that is bad, but also if they are shown not acting like stereotypes, that is bad too.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

I didn't say it was bad. It wasn't particularly funny though.

For me the humor came less from it being unexpected due to him being not-white, and it being unexpected because he's kind of an idiot. It's an old joke, but it was decently executed.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

Marvel have always had a villain problem for some reason, and while I liked Cory Stoll, he's really trying to make something work out there but there's nothing for him.

There's the implication early on that he's villainous but doesn't really want to be. After he shoots the executive there's a moment where he's looking in the mirror and it's like OK this is interesting. Then he's just overly villainous and Hope says 'It's the particles frying your brain!', which seems to come pretty much out of nowhere. As with Thor 2 and presumably GotG, most of the villain stuff is left on the cutting room floor. Marvel seems to take the approach of Villain=Obstacle, which can only get you so far.

I feel like Marvel is trying to avoid the criticism that a lot of early comic book movies got, where the villain was always more interesting than the hero. But instead of making the heroes interesting enough to match the villains, they've just intentionally made the villains less good.

Steve2911 posted:

And forgive me if I'm wrong but how is that even possible? He hadn't actually used the particles on himself until the end. If it was just working closely with the particles that drove him insane, why wasn't every scientist on that project insane by the end of the film?

I feel like there was quite a bit cut from this film. Or if not cut, last minute rewrites happening that made weird inconsistencies like this that no one really caught due to the change in leadership on the project.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Chernobyl Prize posted:

Is there an explanation in the comic books why Ant-Man still weighs 180 lbs when he's tiny but Pym's keychain doesn't have the same mass? Also, how does it work when Ant-Man is giant? Is he like 3 stories tall and really weak and light? I'm not complaining about comic book movie realism, just curious. I haven't read any comic books.

Pym particles. That's basically it. It's the Ant-Man equivalent to everything weird and pseudo-science in Fantastic Four being explained away with unstable molecules.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

In an episode of Angel there's a joke where some Italian woman keeps saying "bah, gypsies, they are a filthy people, we will speak of them no more!" and then spitting on the ground. That joke was pretty funny I think, because she was a dumb racist and the joke was how dumb it was that she kept doing that. And the joke here is that the guy is dumb and thinks technology is magic. It's not a joke that's "punching down." Well, it's punching down at the racist eastern european hacker, but not at gypsies.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Avalerion posted:

If he was in it for the money he just had to supersize a bunch of gold bars or something.

He also had his personal issue with Pym, where it really seemed like half the reason he was doing everything he was doing was just to piss him off.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Also other than that one single line they never say ANYTHING about the particles doing anything to your mind. When that line happened I was honestly wondering if it was just Hope bullshitting and trying to stall for time.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

Doctor Doom always has his own country. Being a dictator is basically his thing.

Has anyone ever done a comic where Black Panther can't punch Doom because they are both heads of state and it might cause a international incident?

No, because both of them would just be so pig headed that they wouldn't think twice about going to war with one another. It would probably just end up exactly like the Wakanda/Atlantis war did though, with basically everyone in both countries dead.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wade Wilson posted:

Yeah, so was nap time.

But nap time is still good?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

BexGu posted:

I'm going to see it soon, but to the people that have seen it, do you feel its the "comedy" of the MCU? I keep kind of hearing reviews/thought that the theme Marvel was going for the Ant-man series was more comedic then the more series Avengers, spy thriller Captain America, etc.

It's pretty similar tonally to Guardians.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Let's all be glad that Marvel doesn't have the rights to the F4 so we don't have to worry about Dr. Doom showing up and murdering Scott's daughter in a terrible storyline.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

effectual posted:

And why should I have to watch a different movie to understand what a guy is doing in this movie?

Because the Marvel movies are very obviously serialized and none of them are totally stand alone. Yes, this is not the way movies have traditionally worked, but it is working just fine for them, and is one of those things that you are going to just have to accept.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cythereal posted:

You're joking, but going by their movie characterizations? Yes, I could see them saying exactly that.

I highly doubt that will happen. I'm guessing there will be a grand total of one fight between Cap and Stark before they team up to fight Crossbones and the new Hydra dude.

If this is all the in-fighting there is in Civil War, then they chose the name for it poorly.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The reason they don't put Iron Man armor onto everyone is because that would be loving stupid and boring.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Red posted:

I don't know what show or book this is from, but it looks like it sucks.

It appears to be from the newest Avengers cartoon, which does in fact suck, and replaced the good Avengers cartoon because Jeph Loeb couldn't stand to have any show he didn't come up with on the air when he took over their TV department. So now we have this poo poo and those horrible Hulk: Agents of SMASH and Ultimate Spider-Man cartoons.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Loeb took over the TV division and one of his first acts was cancelling EMH. The reason given was that they wanted more synergy with the movies, but EMH was already based off of the movies right down to having a RDJ impersonator doing the voice of Iron Man. It was Loeb.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I saw this movie last night, and I think I missed a lot of plot. My main question is about Darren Cross's motivations. He already had the Yellowjacket suit working I thought; I mean we specifically see the shrunked version of the suit, does that imply it's working anyways? So why was he still conducting experiments? Why did he care about what Dr. Pym was hiding at that point?

They can shrink the suit but shrinking organic material makes it turn into a bloody splotch.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Anal Surgery posted:

I know I'm in the minority here, but Ant-Man was WAY better than Avengers and so much more fun than so many comic films. I really loved it and between Ant-Man and Guardians, I don't think the MCU is a total bust for me personally. I know I have different tastes, so I'm glad Marvel throws me a bone every now and again

Phase 2 and Phase 3 seem to really be starting to diversify the types of movies that fit in. With your space operas like Guardians, heist movies like Ant-Man, the weird trippy poo poo that Dr. Strange will be, etc. And then you add the Netflix and TV stuff into that and it's very clear that they're at least trying to bust out of the formula that they set with Phase 1 for some of the non-Avengers stuff.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Drifter posted:

So...which one?

Yeah, that's basically "all of them except for First Class."

And First Class was the best one.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

effectual posted:

I only saw the last 1/4 of first class but it sucked. Maybe it's better if you see the rest of it first?

I think this is probably the case for every single movie ever made, yes. Also the ending is easily the weakest part of the film.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I said come in! posted:

What Marvel movies have director cuts?

None. AoU will be the first extended cut, too.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Surlaw posted:

I thought it was a pretty polite discussion, I don't know where it went this weird.

Around the time the guy who just left claimed that superhero movies don't and can't reflect real life attitudes, I think. Like...that's insane. The entire point of all fiction, even fantastical stuff, is to reflect things the audience can relate to, or strive towards. Just because there aren't dragons and evil eye wizards doesn't mean that the core tenants of friendship, loyalty, not giving up, etc. in Lord of the Rings aren't real attitudes. Same goes for Ant-Man and it's portrayal of ex-cons, even non-violent ones who were on some level doing the right thing in the wrong way (and even that's arguable), as basically untouchable in modern society.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

effectual posted:

Pretty much all marvel movies are pro status-quo, all I see them for is visual spectacle on a big screen, not their repugnant politics. Like trans4mers.

Ah, yes, the movies where the stand in for the NSA are revealed to be indistinguishable from nazis and the man who represents the ideal version of America has to destroy the entire organization. Super pro-status quo.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

effectual posted:

^And then there's a :barf: monologue at the end where the triple-agent (or whatever she is now) says "we're not good but you need us". GG.

Except they don't need them and they don't restart SHIELD because Captain America himself is like "lol no gently caress you, your entire organization was infiltrated by literal nazis and none of you even noticed." And then SHIELD hasn't come back.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Apoplexy posted:

Did you watch Agents of SHIELD? That's a one-off thing that was being maintained below the radar in the remnants of SHIELD. It doesn't mean the organization is up and operating at full capacity. All they really have is a handful of agents and bases functional under Coulson.

This. That wasn't "Hey guys, SHIELD is back!" it was just Fury pulling out a last gambit style thing. SHIELD still ain't around, and what's left isn't operating on nearly the same level.

E: Hell, even what they're doing in Avengers 2 is a follow up to Winter Soldier. Instead of being a big military group spying on everyone and trying to attack problems before they start because thought crime, they're coming in to offer aid to a besieged third world country because it's the right thing to do. One of the characters, I think it was Cap, even says "this is what we should be doing," meaning "we should be doing good things instead of being literal nazis."

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 21, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Apoplexy posted:

Not my fault there's more than just the films.

Yeah, citing other movies (that are in the same continuity) to dismiss the events of one, but then refusing to accept people citing the tv show (that is also in the same continuity) to dismiss your dismissal is kinda dumb.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Drifter posted:

Haha, I'm sorry. This is a hilarious turn of conversation. It's so surreal to use a medium-low to low rating'd show as some sort of functional binding agent between literal record breaking movies.

Reviews and such don't matter. They're in the same continuity. And they directly impact one another, and that's only going to grow with the Inhumans stuff. I'm sorry that a thing you don't like influences some other things and offers evidence against your previous point.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Drifter posted:

Nah.

What trend is he talking about here? What similar-themed movies did what he's referencing from, say, 2010/12 on?

The first Avengers where a ton of civilians die and they even show a 9/11 style memorial wall after the fight.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I said come in! posted:

That was the entire point of that sequence, was that they are worthless. The whole point of Age of Ultron was to show just how out of touch and inadequate the Avengers were at saving humanity, especially Tony Stark.

This. It's not even subtext. Tony Stark literally makes an evil robot version of himself while trying to protect humanity.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The fights in Man of Steel make total sense though. The Smallville fight is literally the first time he's ever done anything even close to that. Holding up an oil rig or whatever is not even close to the same level as having to fight several other super powered people, all of whom have had military training and know how to fight. He's basically flailing around like an idiot and collateral damage is happening all over the place because he doesn't know what the gently caress he's doing.

Then with the Zod fight, while it's not ever spoken out loud, it's very clear if you watch it that Superman is constantly trying to take the fight away from the city, probably due to what happened in Smallville, and Zod is intentionally bringing it back to the city because his stated goal at that point is "you care about these people, I am going to murder all of these people."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I feel like the U.S. army did more damage then Superman or Zod's minions did in Smallville.

The US army having collateral damage? Unthinkable.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The hesitations I've seen people have about it is the amount sexual violence in the source material.

There's actually not all that much sexual violence in it, and the stuff that could be taken as sexual violence is in reality specifically NOT sexual at all in any way. The Purple Man never even touches her. It's all emotional abuse and mind loving her. And who knows how that is even going to happen in this show, seeing as a lot of that stuff will have to be changed to even fit into the MCU.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I dunno, there is something creepily sexual and exploitative about making her want to have sex with him against her will

Sure, but most people act like it was rape, which it explicitly wasn't. And on top of that purple man is never portrayed as cool or anything, he's a pathetic little ball of mental illness and insecurity, and the arc ends with Jessica just beating the poo poo out of him because she's not a victim, she's a survivor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Drifter posted:

You're gooning off semantics. And you can be both a victim and survivor. They're not exclusive. Look at how hosed up she is/was.

Jessica Jones was tortured extensively, and brainwashed or mind dominated or whatever, using sex and dissolution of power as the main methodology.

Sure, but the way it was executed wasn't exploitative in any way. Just because a work of fiction contains sexual violence doesn't mean it's bad. Like basically everything in fiction there's good and bad ways to do it.

And again, we don't know to what extent any of this is even going to be in the show, as the purple man isn't an established villain and the entire scenario and it's aftermath just doesn't work in the MCU, things are too different at a core level. I doubt we see anything even close to it in the show.

• Locked thread