Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Pretty fun movie, plenty of charm, I do dig it. Didn't love it though, maybe my 5th favorite Marvel movie so far. I do like most of them though so it's not that bad of a ranking.

I don't really think it's a heist movie. Terminator 2 is as much of a heist movie. In that they want to break into a place to get a thing. Ditto for this. Other than the brief robbing of the house early in the film, it's just your standard action comedy. There's a big training montage and then they infiltrate the enemy place to get a thing etc. That makes it a heist movie?

Fast 5 , that I can see being called a heist movie. They spend the majority of the movie planning this big elaborate robbery, and then they do it, and it's big involved process. Plus, their goal is to get tons of money for their own gain.

Enjoyable movie, just not very different from the Marvel mold so far. It is a superhero movie. Iron Man takes out a few more people but this is in a very similar mold to that film. Plus, Iron Man was also notably comedic. RDJ got more laughs out of me than Rudd here, and I'm a fan of Rudd.

Darth Brooks posted:

I thought it was a fun little movie. It wasn't an EVENT like the Avengers or Batman/Superman/Spider-Man. Marvel movies are best when the stakes are personal, not world sized. I would expect that if there's a second movie that they would find a way to bring back his wife.
From the way Pym paints it, the world is doomed to chaos if the villain unleashes this tech. So they're saving the world. Not in an immediate there's a black hole bomb trying to eat the planet sense, but the stakes are still world sized.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Avalerion posted:

I had a though about how the enlarging side of the technology doesn't really get a mention, could Scott use the suit to turn himself into a giant?
Yep. He goes by the name Giant-man at one point. Guaranteed they'll figure this out and go for it in Infinity War part 2.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 18, 2015

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

TheJoker138 posted:

In an episode of Angel there's a joke where some Italian woman keeps saying "bah, gypsies, they are a filthy people, we will speak of them no more!" and then spitting on the ground. That joke was pretty funny I think, because she was a dumb racist and the joke was how dumb it was that she kept doing that. And the joke here is that the guy is dumb and thinks technology is magic. It's not a joke that's "punching down." Well, it's punching down at the racist eastern european hacker, but not at gypsies.
On a similar note, I thought the Angel episode "Smile Time" wasn't really racist against muppets or laughing at puppets, it was laughing with puppets so to speak.

My favorite gypsy humor is of course from Borat. "And a jar of gypsy tears to protect me from AIDS."

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 21, 2015

• Locked thread