Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The one movie that is totally going to be completely awful and bomb hard, bankrupt Marvel, end superhero movies forever, and single-handedly return us to the golden age of mature and complicated films that was the 70s:

-The Avengers
-Guardians of the Galaxy
-Ant Man
-???

Sorry, writers of lovely clickbait articles and bitter internet film snobs, Ant-Man ruled and everybody I saw it with loved it. If anything a movie like Ant-Man being so good in spite of the behind-the-scenes drama and rushed production is proof that superheroes as a concept are so flexible and audiences are so open-minded and willing that it's going to stick around for a long, long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Kerrrrrrr posted:

So many great moments: "It's not a keychain", Thomas the Tank Engine, giant ant pet, FALCON!!!! :syoon:, we're backin' up. we're backin it up. Luis going back for the poor bullet-ant'd guard. Actually everything with Luis.

One major problem Marvel has had with its movies (I haven't seen the last few so I don't know if this is still the case) is that the third act is usually the weakest and Ant-Man is like a complete inversion of that. The first 2/3rd of the movie are mostly a slow burn setting up and character-building but when the heist finally starts the hits just keep on coming. "It's not a keychain" would have a been the perfect :master: for the movie to climax on but then they go above the call of duty and do another three or four other gags like that that continue to one-up each other. The way that the climax played around with size and perspective to such degrees was fantastic, especially when they had those brief cutaways showing showing normal perspective for comparison.

Blue Star posted:

The quantum shrinking scene was trippy as gently caress.

I started thinking a lot about the movie Phase IV about halfway through the movie because it's the only other movie I could think of that treated ants with such power and respect also did a lot of special effects shots that showed the ants up-close and personal, and whether intentional homage or happy coincidence I loved that Ant-Man managed to also have a really trippy sequence towards the end.

Really I wish Phase IV was still on Netflix because it's a rad movie and an ant siege movie would make a perfect chaser to the ant heist movie that is Ant-Man.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Oh yeah, the special effects they used to de-age Michael Douglas to his Wall Street-aged self for the flashback at the beginning was drat near flawless. I remember being impressed at how Tron Legacy regressed Jeff Bridges to his Starman-era self back in the day but this was a whole other level.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You could see the seams in this one, there's lots of stuff Edgar Wright clearly would've babied more and his editing style is very distinct.

The part where he's fighting his way through the security guards from the containment room to the helicopter really drove this home since it's pretty similar in setup to Wright's leaked test footage, so you have just enough of an idea of how he might have done it for it to come off worse in comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-pFrplmexo

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Avalerion posted:

I had a though about how the enlarging side of the technology doesn't really get a mention, could Scott use the suit to turn himself into a giant? Seems like the tech could also be used to end the world's resource scarcity, but then the arc reactor should have done that ages ago anyway so that's just a non-serious nitpick.

Overall though I found the movie pretty good, can't really think of a fault or any specific thing I'd change. I actually like corresponding scene in the actual movie more than the test footage linked above which looks "off", like it's getting too close to slapstick.

I totally thought that was what was going to happen at the end when he escapes the Quantum Zone by replacing the shrinky core of his belt with a growy one, especially after they repeated over and over that he would lose all sense of time and space being there.

Also considering that Yellowjacket was able to grow back to normal human size after Ant-Man used the shrinking shuriken on him when he was full-sized that must mean that his suit has the ability to grow above and beyond its normal size but it doesn't really matter because that entire fight owned.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Sir Kodiak posted:

Don't think that's how it works. Both the suits and the discs did the same thing: adjust the amount of space between atoms. Being shrunk by a disc leaves you in the same position as being shrunk by a suit, so the suit can reverse either. The fact that nobody made themselves a giant was presumably a function of the same regulators that, unless tampered with, stopped people from shrinking below ant-sized.

That makes a lot more sense.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

duz posted:

Not entirely related, but I laughed when they showed Hank looking longingly at the photo of him and his wife, and her hat is pulled down so you can't see the actress they haven't cast yet to play her.

I think that's pretty much the entire reason for the "fridging", because thanks to the time-space fuckery of being trapped in the quantum realm they can bring her back whenever they want to and have her be young or old so they don't want to commit to an actress. Hence the only time we see her in action is a pair of eyes in a CGI costume.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

turtlecrunch posted:

This movie was cute and funny hth. There's one really bizarre exchange that makes me wonder if the creators have some intimate knowledge on the difference between mice and lambs or if they assume small = stupid or something anyway that was weird.

edit: I guess lambs are cuter.

I bet that some poor marketing guy at Aardman is suddenly really regretting making this after what happened to the cute little lambs in Ant-Man.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
If anything the villains have gotten better post-Disney because in Iron Man, Hulk, and Iron Man 2 the villains were all just evil versions of the hero while after the acquisition we at least got Loki and Trevor Slattery in addition to the evil versions of the heroes.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Ant-Man made $58 million opening weekend. Time to get a head start writing about how Dr Strange is going to be the one that finally bombs, I guess.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Full Battle Rattle posted:

The gypsies remark, yeah. There's no way that nobody who worked on the movie doesn't realize that gypsy is a pretty serious racial thing in Europe, especially in today's internationally minded cinema. Struck me as odd - wonder if they'll change it for international release.

That's literally the entire point of the joke. It's like wondering how nobody who worked on Borat realized that the joke where he thinks the elderly Jewish couple have turned into cockroaches is touching on some pretty serious racial thing in Europe.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

computer parts posted:

So the joke is that Hispanics are known to be racist against Roma?

The guy who made the gypsy joke was the eastern-european hacker character.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

reignonyourparade posted:

The joke is definitely not in the best taste, and yeah probably only exists because of the fact that the vast majority of america is not aware that "gypsies" are a real thing that's not just in stories, but I'm pretty sure if it had instead been "this is the work of Romani" that would have made things worse, not better.

You do know that the guy who wrote the movie is European, right?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

GORDON posted:

"This is the work of republicans."

"This is the work of southerners."

Some bigotry is more acceptable than others, because every one is exactly like every other one so to generalize is fine.

Thus, sorry gypsies.

What white nonsense is this?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I guess I have an Ant-Man av now? Thank you, mystery benefactor :toot: 🐜🐜🐜

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpPx7E27Bc8

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

effectual posted:

Usually these comic movie threads have a lot more arguing, is this one unpopular or something?

I guess that's one of the downsides of not being so tied in to the cinematic universe as a whole, you don't get the huge amounts of :speculate: that come from people trying to figure out how it will effect the canon or where it ties into Avengers 3: The Ghost Dimension or whatever. It was just a fun and funny movie.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Jerusalem posted:

If you're not joking you should remedy this, because Douglas has been in some amazing films.

The last movie I saw him in was Behind the Candelabra where he played Liberace and the makeup effects were really good in that too, I like that Douglas is a guy who isn't afraid to look completely different for a role.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Wright was offended that he was being treated like a typical Marvel hired-hand on a script that he had shepherded and developed for 8 years.

Marvel was ready and willing to make the movie years ago before they had even settled on the cinematic universe, it was Wright who put the project on hold to blow his studio blank check on Scott Pilgrim and wrap up the Cornetto trilogy and then get indignant when they wanted him to make some changes since their entire business model had changed in the intervening years.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Don't you guys have an entire comic book movie thread dedicated to quarantining this garbage so everybody else doesn't have to read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Frostwerks posted:

I'm catching up on the movie posters thread and it is soooo cathartic to see all the poo poo talking about how bad this was going to be/bomb.

And now that Jessica Jones has a release date and a teaser people on the internet are doing the exact same song and dance about how this is totally going to be the huge mis-step that topples Marvel.

• Locked thread