Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Just got back from the theater and I loved the movie. It' was funny (to a surprising degree), the action was great and given that there are probably only a very small few ways to do an Ant-Man movie, this did the trick.

I liked Paul Rudd as Lang. I thought Michael Douglas fit the role of Pym very well as how I imagine a real life Hank Pym would be.

I really can't think of anything I disliked about it, and I'd put it in my top 3-4 MCU films to date. Plus, I love heist movies, and that combined with the fact that I've always actually liked the Ant-Man as a character was a good marriage of ideas for me.

Although I am definitely going to get back to the theater to see it again just because I enjoyed the way they played with scale so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Sleeveless posted:

The one movie that is totally going to be completely awful and bomb hard, bankrupt Marvel, end superhero movies forever, and single-handedly return us to the golden age of mature and complicated films that was the 70s:

-The Avengers
-Guardians of the Galaxy
-Ant Man
-???

Sorry, writers of lovely clickbait articles and bitter internet film snobs, Ant-Man ruled and everybody I saw it with loved it. If anything a movie like Ant-Man being so good in spite of the behind-the-scenes drama and rushed production is proof that superheroes as a concept are so flexible and audiences are so open-minded and willing that it's going to stick around for a long, long time.

I feel the same way. If Ant Man can work, and they can navigate through Dr. Strange without turning people off, then the MCU is going to be around for as long as Marvel/Disney wants it to be.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Thevalencian posted:

Honesty, why is every marvel villain a total pussy?

Ultron sucked balls, Ronan is a fag. Yellow jacket sucked balls,
Every marvel villain is as intimidating as a can openner

I love the MCU movies so, so much. But I agree, they do a terrible jobs with villains for the most part. I was thinking Cross had potential, but that was blown pretty quickly. I hate that villains like Baron Strucker and Ronan were completely wasted, when they have incredibly rich histories in the comics. Although I really think we'll see Red Skull again at some point, but even he seemed inept in a way that didn't mesh with his overall character.

Loki, to date, is the only memorable villain that has been really intriguing. Although I'm really holding out hope that we get a little more Ten Rings action, and they revisit The Manadarin and show that Iron Man 3 was a ruse. Then we have to hope that Thanos lives up to the potential they've teed up for him. From the comics, we know he's loving nuts, but a lunatic (literally, a mad Titan) with an Infinity Gauntlet HAS to be memorable, right?

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Feige has said that the Quantum Realm is very connected to Dr Strange.

I missed that interview, but that is the best news I'm going to read all day probably. Although count me among the people who believe there was some semblance or shadow of Wasp in the Quantum Realm. I swore I saw it, but thought I was seeing things.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Irish Joe posted:

Why is Falcon a member of the Avengers, again? Didn't he basically steal the falcon suit from the army? Ditto with War Machine. Or are the new Avengers part of the US Army?

WarLocke posted:

You should watch Age of Ultron

Just catching up, but Falcon laid everything on the line for Captain America and Black Widow in Winter Soldier. That's where we should presume he was brought into the fold of the Avengers initiative. He wasn't in AoU for more than a couple of minutes.

Of course he presumably stole the suit from the military (or maybe he stole it from Hydra, technically?), but either way, I would count that as a pretty acceptable initiation into a group like The Avengers. Especially one needing special people, powered by genetics or technology.

As for whether or not Avengers are part of the U.S. military, that is an interesting question. Especially since SHIELD, where the Avengers initiative began, technically still doesn't exist outside of what we know from Agents of Shield on TV. Fury didn't even acknowledge that he's got something going when he was asked about where he found a helicarrier out of nowhere.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Terrible Horse posted:

They also visually quoted the Death Star attack plan, with a pulsing circle being dropped down a chute on Pym's display

Oh wow. you're right. Totally didn't catch that, but that's a great detail if it were intentional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

berzerkmonkey posted:

I read an article that said they did a few nods to Star Wars (the pew-pew laser sounds) and Disney ("It's a Small World"), so I'm sure there was a bit of an homage in the display too.

I noticed the curiously identical laser noises on the first watch, but that's really cool. I'll have to go dig up that interview.

I also managed to catch the It's a Small World song, somehow, before my wife which is rare when it's anything Disney.

• Locked thread