Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Trailer 1

Rotten Tomatoes score: 77%
Metacritic score: 65

BIFFORD'S REVIEW
I went in the theatre worrying that this would be the film where Marvel finally slips up and makes a lovely movie, but thankfully that was not the case. Marvel has pulled off another decent (though not spectacular) superhero flick. It's quite an impressive track record, and goddamn miraculous when you think at how bad Hollywood is at making decent films. Kevin Feige's management style is sure to be studied intensely by future scholars and Hollywood execs.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

FreudianSlippers posted:

In my opinion it's one of the best Marvel films so far on par with Iron Man 3 and Guardians of the Galaxy.
This I must disagree with. It's a decent installment but it's certainly not their best effort.

FreudianSlippers posted:

The villain has actual motivation and character and is even a bit sympathetic in parts.
I was actually sympathizing with the villain at first, because he had a point that Pym was trying to thwart the inevitability of human scientific progress. If Pym refuses to share his discovery, somebody else will discover it (and take the credit). Then we see Cross trying to sell his weapon to Hydra, which makes little sense when he could make tons of money selling his invention through legitimate channels.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

MisterBibs posted:

I think the best scene(s) in the movie were the one where Scott discovers that the out-of-the-way place is the goddamned Avengers building, especially when Falcon radios in to tell whoever is on the other end not to report to Cap that he got his rear end kicked by a guy who can shrink.

Edit: and Scott trying to get a story winnowed down to 4-5 bullet points from someone who has to tell you the Whole Story? Flashbacks to any time my dad has tried to tell me a story about anything. Hit too close to home on that one...
That scene puzzled me. If the Avengers security could detect Ant-Man, then does it go off every time an insect lands on the building?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I kinda groaned at the scene where Cross kills one of his execs for some business reason that I forget, which struck me as a cheap way to mark him out as the villain. Aside from this, it is only Cross' attempt to sell the tech to Hydra that truly makes him the bad guy. Otherwise he is just an arms manufacturer trying to sell a new weapon. I was actually rooting against Hank and Scott up to that point, because Hank just comes across as a big Luddite. By destroying Pym Technologies he ruins a lot of people's livelihoods, all to suppress a technology that might get rediscovered anyway at some point in the future.

Cross is one of the weaker Marvel villains because his villainy feels a little forced. Oh well. He's better than Ultron, at least.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

:agreed:

Also, I just realized how easy Luis could knock out those guards. Just one punched a couple of dudes. You go back to his first scene and what is it? Him talking about how he was the only one to knock out the big guy saying goodbye to Scott. Dude's pretty good at throwing a punch.
It's a standard trope of superhero stories. Cops and guards are laughably bad. Remember in Amazing Spider-Man 2 when Harry, a teenager with a terminal illness, manages to easily overcome those prison guards?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

dog days are over posted:

Superheroes are absolutely absurd on every level and unless a movie goes with it and makes it pretty much fully comedic, it feels totally bizarre to me. It's why I hated the newer Batman movies. It's a dude that dresses as a bat and everybody's just okay with this? And they respect him? Bwuh??

I know the Nolan Batman movies are beloved please don't hurt me

No, you're right. The Nolan movies wanted to treat Batman seriously, and while I believe that is actually possible, they did it in a clumsy way that often made me groan.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Ant-Man is one of the quirkier superheroes out there, so I'm glad this movie is going to raise his profile.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I have some plot issues I need straightened out.

1. What exactly is Scott's incentive to help Pym? Pym doesn't offer Scott anything. All he gives Scott is the chance to prove himself the hero his daughter thinks he is. So is Scott being Ant-Man just to impress his daughter? Is it really just about saving the world?

2. That cop Paxton learns that Hank Pym masqueraded as Scott's lawyer and visited Scott just before Scott busted out of prison. Why did Paxton wait until Pym went to his company for Cross' unveiling? Why did he not immediately go to Pym's house and arrest him?

3. There is a moment in the Yellowjacket vault where Cross has a gun pointed at Scott's head. Hope uses the ants to disarm Cross. At this point, there is a strange cut where Cross just grabs a suitcase and walks out the vault. Why didn't Scott or Hope stop him? That was weird.

4. The explosives Scott plants totally destroys the Pym Technologies building. That could have killed anyone inside. We saw the building being evacuated before that happened, but how did Pym and his gang arrange that? The explosives were on a timer.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 19, 2015

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Full Battle Rattle posted:

The gypsies remark, yeah. There's no way that nobody who worked on the movie doesn't realize that gypsy is a pretty serious racial thing in Europe, especially in today's internationally minded cinema. Struck me as odd - wonder if they'll change it for international release.
In Europe, nobody likes the gypsies, so people will probably just laugh at it.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I was disappointed that they didn't show Ant-Man crawling up someone's nose and then growing to full size.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Terror Sweat posted:

Wrong thread i guess

This movie was weird. The first half was funny, then it turned into generic boring superhero movie. Michael douglas keeps going into how this technology is evil for some reason without actually explaining, the bad guy just ups and decides to openly sell his newly designed science to a no longer secret terrorist organization (what?). This movie was all tell and no show.
I agree with both these points. Pym is trying to stop scientific progress. He was barely able to prevent Cross from spreading the technology, so someone else will figure it out in time and Pym won't be there to stop it. Selling the tech to Hydra was stupid because Cross could make more than enough money through legitimate channels.

Terror Sweat posted:

It feels like a lot of the scenes just happened without any cohesion between them. The falcon thing was literally just tacked on to add a cameo, and every scene filmed at the house when training started felt like it was filmed in a cheap set over a weekend.
The Falcon fight scene was there for pacing. Without it, the middle of the movie would have been nothing but training montages and exposition.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Kal-L posted:

But what if Hydra is willing to pay double of any legitimate amount? Why are you against the free market, you commie?

Plus, it's not only the suit, but the particles. He gave them the first container free, but any more would been worth at least a couple of gold ingots.
I really think this plot point was there to have Ant-Man actually saving the world, instead of just suppressing technology on behalf of Pym.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Pym mentions that Cross was never a very stable person to begin with. Cross didn't know about the particle's effect on the brain and thus built no protection into the suit.

BrianWilly posted:

I'm honestly curious...what exactly do y'all hear when someone says "The term 'gypsy' is a very offensive racial slur against the persecuted Romani ethnic group"? Does it in fact sound something like "Blah blah social justice blah SHUT UP so I can enjoy my witty blockbuster film joking about gypsy curses"?
The gypsies of Europe, both the Roma and the Irish Travellers, are a striking case to me because hardly anyone here is ready to stick up for them. There are plenty of people willing to protest the mistreatment of Jews, Muslims, and blacks. Overt racism is about as taboo in Europe as it is in America (especially Britain). Yet hating the gypsies is considered acceptable.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jul 21, 2015

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Kal-L posted:

I don't advocate it, I'm just pointing out that if Cross wants the most money for the tech, as he's depicted in the film, he's not going to go "SHIELD is paying X, but Hydra is paying double... Hmm, maybe I shouldn't sell it to the bad people, because that would be too villainous!"
He risks arrest and imprisonment for selling weaponry to a terrorist organization.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Cross murders an exec who objects to his plans because of legal reasons. He then tries to sell his technology to Hydra. He then takes a little girl hostage.

Yeah, Hank Pym is fighting an ultimately futile battle against scientific progress, but that makes him more of a fool than monster.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 21, 2015

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
There's a post-credits stinger that hints at the tensions that will be explored in Civil War.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

effectual posted:

Usually these comic movie threads have a lot more arguing, is this one unpopular or something?
There were no glaring flaws in this movie. That's not to say it's a masterpiece of cinema, it just has no serious warts the way AoU has.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, the redemption arc is completely hollow because they don't actually present the hero as having done anything wrong; they just have all the characters (including him) pretend that he has.
There are some lines of dialogue that suggest Scott has a more extensive criminal history beyond the VistaCorp job, but no details.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Like how Luis (?) comments about how Scott gets when Scott's cocky. So Luis has seen Scott in situations like this before and it wasn't simply the corporate job. Or when Hank says that Scott always goes back to crime when things get rough even though we only see one instance of that in the movie. So clearly there's more petty thievery going on, and I guess Scott was in jail in the beginning of the movie for that instead of the corporate job they bring up? The movie wants Scott to be the stand-up-to-the-man little guy but also have great burgling skills. Except they also don't want you to really think about how he developed those skills.
I can't entirely blame Scott for turning to crime. Having a criminal record plus a reputation as a whistleblower makes him radioactive to any employer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Was the Sceptre lost in the Battle of New York, or did Hydra moles in SHIELD steal it?

• Locked thread