Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DonnieBravo
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I've been banging my head against the computer screen for days trying to figure this out. Really, all I would like is some information from a person and not random lists on the internet. I am trying to buy a cheap car in New York to drive around for a couple of months. I'm not a US resident, I'm from Australia. We can find a car to buy no problem, but as soon as the internet starts talking about titles and registration and all that poo poo, it gets confusing and I'm not sure what should be the first step for buying a car. The DMV is being remarkably unhelpful here.

So basically can you guys help me with information about:

What I need to make sure the seller has before I give him cash for the car.
What I need to do immediately afterwards to make it legal to drive in the States.
Will I need to go into a DMV with the seller and sign some papers?

Any help or information will be appreciated, as it stands our big US road trip is all up in the air and we need to figure out what to do. Thanks guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I'd advise asking either the A/T car buying thread or the AI stupid question thread.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
In NY i think you need a signed title and a bill of sale. The title should be clear (not salvage, ideally) and have no liens on it. If he gives you a signed official title you can give him cash, because that is your proof of vehicle ownership transfer. Not sure how the process for registering a car in the US as an Australian works. Also you will have to pay sales tax at the time of registration, and possibly get temporary plates, not sure how NY works, im from Mass where they make everything as difficult as possible.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Unless this trip is some huge half-year long thing, buying a car is probably a bad idea. If you are going to be driving on a huge roadtrip, you are going to want to have a reliable vehicle. A cheapo car that you will probably be buying sight unseen and/or with little shopping around time is not going to be that. Consider also, car insurance, sales tax, and liability of getting totally boned if you get into an accident or the thing ends up being a lemon. And the idea that you can sell it at the end and recoup some of your costs? Debatable. You are going to be under pressure to sell, the buyer is probably going to know this. You are also some yahoo from out of the country who just took the car on some long road trip doing god knows what. Who wants to buy a mystery car from someone who'll be leaving the country immediately after the sale? All this adds up to the fact that you'll probably be taking a huge hit from whatever you bought it for.

Consider renting instead. Yes, it's "lost money", but you can find mid-sized sedans for like $1000/month with unlimited mileage. If you're out there for two months, that's probably going to be close to your sunk costs for buying and selling anyway since you're risking getting boned on the price on both ends, plus sales tax, insurance, tags, etc.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

I don't think any state is going to let you register a vehicle in their state with an out-of-state (and for this matter, out-of-country) drivers license, so I don't think your plan is possible. Usually obtaining a state's driver's license and providing proof the car you bought is insured is a prerequisite for registration/plates being issued. And you have to be a resident of that state to register there.

I guess you could find an idiot willing to register the car in their name but that requires an incredible amount of trust because anything you do illegally traffic/parking wise is potentially on them.

If you can commit to dropping the car off in the same place you pick it up a long term car rental is probably your best bet (or eat a potentially hefty drop fee for not doing so)

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

mishaq posted:

I don't think any state is going to let you register a vehicle in their state with an out-of-state (and for this matter, out-of-country) drivers license, so I don't think your plan is possible. Usually obtaining a state's driver's license and providing proof the car you bought is insured is a prerequisite for registration/plates being issued. And you have to be a resident of that state to register there.

I guess you could find an idiot willing to register the car in their name but that requires an incredible amount of trust because anything you do illegally traffic/parking wise is potentially on them.

If you can commit to dropping the car off in the same place you pick it up a long term car rental is probably your best bet (or eat a potentially hefty drop fee for not doing so)

I registered 2 cars in colorado with a mass drivers license with no problems. I remember doing the same in new hampshire but that was a special case (i was on active duty). Still dont know about new york but your post is not necessarily true across the board.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Tautologicus posted:

I registered 2 cars in colorado with a mass drivers license with no problems. I remember doing the same in new hampshire but that was a special case (i was on active duty). Still dont know about new york but your post is not necessarily true across the board.

Huh, news to me, but all the states I've lived in (not many) definitely require you to have a driver's license in the state you're registering a car.

You're legally required to have a driver's license in the state in which you are a resident with your most current address in almost all situations (I'm sure with exclusions for active duty military)

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

mishaq posted:

Huh, news to me, but all the states I've lived in (not many) definitely require you to have a driver's license in the state you're registering a car.

You're legally required to have a driver's license in the state in which you are a resident with your most current address in almost all situations (I'm sure with exclusions for active duty military)

I never declared residency in colorado, i was a student. Maybe that's the other part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

mishaq posted:

Yeah you definitely didn't need a Texas driver's license to get a Texas car registration either, at least not when I was there (2005). But I could certainly believe NY being more of a PITA for doing this (or making it impossible).

That said buying a car to do a roadtrip sounds like a bad idea. Even if it doesn't cost more in $$$ than a rental (debatable), it'll cost more on your mental health and sanity. It kind of sounds like you want to buy a car just to get around NY state where you'll be working / studying / visiting a friend?

Alternately, if you're just going to be around NY, maybe you could check out motorcycles? The paperwork will be all the same, but you'll get a much better vehicle for your dollar and it might be easier to resell than a car, though I don't know anything about it personally. Just a guess!

• Locked thread