Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

To keep pthighs naming convention rolling along:

The Dean Martin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
The Lafayette

I put forward the ship design. I hope within the next three years a three knot minimum increase with a larger deck gun system. At this era scientific advancement is so rapid we have to plan for the future.

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 19, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

A 24 knot battleship?! You ask for much! We shall see if the researchers can deliver.

[edit] Also, I kind of hope the game ends up smacked with some tonnage/armament restrictions at some point. Just building bigger and bigger ships gets boring. Trying to squeeze every last drop of effectiveness out of a strict tonnage budget is much more entertaining. Though preferably after we get a few large Battleships rolled out so they get grandfathered in.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 19, 2015

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
We can remove the submerged torpedo tubes to free up some weight for additional armor or guns. A battleship is so ungainly and the submerged tubes such a narrow firing arc that I don't think its worth the added weight/cost.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Err... I swear I removed those already. Must've snuck their way back in when I reloaded the design after not liking some changes. Just a moment. *scribble scribble*

There. Fixed it. Used the weight to add in four more 3" guns and twenty more rounds for the 12 inch guns.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Affi posted:

I'll join up if we name our first class of ships the Ving Rhames class. (drat am I spelling it wrong? Its been so long)

I would be for that, and yes, I think it's been about 7-8 years. Anyways, a few things we could consider for a first bill.

1) Standardization of speed. Regardless of what we go with for battleship designs, keeping the speed constant between them is essential for maintaining an effective battle line. Trying to increase the speed part way through the game splits your fleet or renders many of your ships less viable. Thus, we should consider 20, 21, 22 kts as being ideal. Picking this early is beneficial for doctrine.

2) The armored cruiser that's totally not a battlecruiser bill. In my game, in the first few years I was able to build an 18,000 ton armored cruiser that had 8x2 10" guns and a 27kts top speed, while still keeping armor. It remained viable the entire game and was very good at the fine art of hunting down raiders. I even had two of them take down an early battlecruiser with few issues. They're basically able to murder everything until you get superimposed CA turrets, and even afterwards remain as contenders. Anyways, holding off on too much construction until we have the money and technology to buy a pack of these seems to be a good strategy for winning early wars. Just keep them out of the way of torpedoes.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I propose, nay, DEMAND our ships of the line reach at least a speed of 24 knots!
See the following diagram:

See how the slow dumb ship is getting blown up like the idiot child's toy that it is? And how the cool fast ship is still unharmed and firing and and look how much better guns it has, how is this even a choice?

The Cool Fast Ships for Cool People Party demands a minimum of 24 knots for any ship in our glorious navy

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Sure if I used certain design strategies I could develop super cruisers and fast battleships (in fact I just designed a version of my battleship that goes 24knots and gets reclassified a BC), but playing hyper optimally using the benefit of hindsight and knowing the future of Dreadnoughts and Battlecruisers is boring. :colbert:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Saros posted:

It's probably also worth noting that the L by the Admiral charner class in the ship list denotes long range. They will be significantly more capable raiders than our other ships.

I will join the big ships, bigger guns party. The dreadnought is the future. We should place research to the max 10% and focus on gun calibre and ship design to get better layouts. Submarines and damage control are for cowards so Asw, submarines and damage control should be deprioritised.

I will join this party too.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Here is a proper manly battleship to get us started.

i would thank my near-lethal fever and the makers mark distilleries for assisting me in this design

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
cramped accommodations?

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Sharp eyes there. You will go far in this navy

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Illegal Username posted:

Here is a proper manly battleship to get us started.

i would thank my near-lethal fever and the makers mark distilleries for assisting me in this design

I like this.

I like it enough to start the ol' Cock & Bulls party: where the only legislation that is immediate is that all ships must have a phallic shape in remembrance of a penis with balls on it when viewed top down.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Unfortunantly BBs only go to 23 otherwise called a bc, now my fast friend if you will support 23 for our supermaxweightfuckoffships that are floating islands of guns we can talk :getin:

I hereby declare myself head of the technocratic party, more technology and more budgets to have technology with is our platform. This is clearly a stance that all other factions can support... unless they are dirty peaceniks

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Oh, a Legislative LP? :getin:

I propose the Neo-Napoleonic Party :france:, with the goal of never allowing France to back down in international politics, protecting our prestige, and destroying the evil nation of Germany. Destruction of Austria-Hungary, Russia and Britain are secondary priorities. If the people of this thread choose to stand with me, we will propose laws seeking to make these wars happen, and to ensure that we are prepared when the time comes. For budgetary matters, we will advocate for higher intelligence funding, and for the funding of ships designed to one-up our foreign enemies.

Takanago fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 19, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

What a pathetic broadside. And 90 rounds each? Only planning on staying out for a short jaunt, eh? :colbert:

And oh look, a phallic designed superstructure, whats the point? You'd need a balloon or one of those flying machines everyone keeps foolishly dying trying to build to see it, and you don't exactly find those in the ocean.

And flat deck? Why not go full cheese and "Everything or Nothing" the armor scheme? :v: You offend my aesthetic senses, good sir!

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 19, 2015

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

AtomikKrab posted:

Unfortunantly BBs only go to 23 otherwise called a bc
WHAT

Galaga Galaxian posted:

And oh look, a phallic designed superstructure, whats the point? You'd need a balloon or one of those flying machines everyone keeps foolishly dying trying to build to see it, and you don't exactly find those in the ocean.
The point is that it is there

to be

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

So. Do people in my party think we should go floating island route a lá Montana and Yamato or more just fast BBs with big guns?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
The battleships we have now won't be much use either way. At 24 knots we'd have a hard time fitting enough guns and armor to have a useful ship.
While we're waiting for developments in bigger ships, we could focus on building destroyers and some fast light cruisers. Our CLs especially are pretty :mediocre: and by building some 25 knot, 6" gun scouts we could free the old ships up for other jobs.

If we limit it to one or two new battleships, we should have room to improve our lighter ships, and it's something we could do with our current technology. CLs see a lot of action, so it's not just busy work.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The solution is we just need to get into a war to increase our budget so we can get more, nicer battleships and possibly get rid of make heroes of these mediocre ones we got.

I actually agree, I designed this battleship because I could, not because I advocate building more. We've got a good amount for now (at least until someone finally finds that drat ship and tonnage report on the other nations). I can design a better Light/Protected Cruiser if everyone wants, and/or a Heavy/Armored Cruiser.

Really, I just wanna build ships, I don't care about the politics of it all. :v:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

You raise a good point. If you want to discuss further, hop on #botes on synirc.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Top Hats Monthly posted:

cramped accommodations?

Illegal Username posted:

6 knots faster than our other battleships, medium range, cramped conditions, and the graphic is missing two secondary guns: not that great for the long distances needed to patrol the colonies, and its too fast to keep a line of battle with our other battleships.

Is it meant to be a raider?

Edit: Also, maybe we should consider starting with some lovely 1000-2000 ton gun boats for colonial duty so we don't get our knees broken by irate colonial governors? Being able to actually use the bigger ships we actually have (without getting a prestige penalty) might make more sense for such a mess of a colonial power such as France.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 19, 2015

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
What's the point of those pathetic 6" guns? They can't hurt a fly, let alone a warship. No ship shall be constructed without the biggest guns available, and anything not capable of fitting at least 10-inchers will not be accepted in the glorious French navy!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Arelon posted:

What's the point of those pathetic 6" guns? They can't hurt a fly, let alone a warship. No ship shall be constructed without the biggest guns available, and anything not capable of fitting at least 10-inchers will not be accepted in the glorious French navy!
code:
Error: Building nation has not developed the mounting of secondary guns heavier than 7 in!
Secondary armament is currently limited to 7" or less. :v:

Oh, and we currently can only build two main turrets on the centerline of the ship and no wing (sides of the deck) turrets.

[edit] Also, I want to live and build ships in a world where this:

is "pathetic".

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 19, 2015

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Gentlemen, I have a proposition.

Let's gently caress up Italy a bunch and take it over.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Galaga Galaxian posted:

code:
Error: Building nation has not developed the mounting of secondary guns heavier than 7 in!
Secondary armament is currently limited to 7" or less. :v:

Then we don't need secondary guns. Saves on the weight too.

Edit: you know how the A-10 is basically a plane built around a gun? That's what I want, only in heavily armored ship form.

Darkest Auer fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 19, 2015

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Gamerofthegame posted:

Gentlemen, I have a proposition.

Let's gently caress up Italy a bunch and take it over.

This man. He gets it. Perhaps a party is in order after all...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Arelon posted:

Then we don't need secondary guns. Saves on the weight too.

Edit: you know how the A-10 is basically a plane built around a gun? That's what I want, only in heavily armored ship form.

We can currently only build ships with two centerline main turrets. We currently only have Double or Single Main Turrets available. The largest gun caliber we have is a 13" -2 quality (11" and 12" guns are -1 quality, everything else is +0 quality).

We basically Need those "pathetic" secondary batteries to have a decent amount of firepower.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Takanago posted:

Oh, a Legislative LP? :getin:

I propose the Neo-Napoleonic Party :france:, with the goal of never allowing France to back down in international politics, protecting our prestige, and destroying the evil nation of Germany. Destruction of Austria-Hungary, Russia and Britain are secondary priorities. If the people of this thread choose to stand with me, we will propose laws seeking to make these wars happen, and to ensure that we are prepared when the time comes. For budgetary matters, we will advocate for higher intelligence funding, and for the funding of ships designed to one-up our foreign enemies.

I for one would gladly put my weight behind this party. It will fulfill my need for bloodshed and allow us to elevate mighty France to her rightful place, while striking down the upstart nations of Europe and beyond.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Urgent dispatch from the Prime Minister's office!

Pierre Waldeck-Rousseau posted:

To The Honorable Grey,

I demand a Battleship fleet of equal or greater numbers and tonnage than that of Germany and Great Britain combined by the year 1910. Failure to do so will be be met with swift recourse.

Good Day to You

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Here's a proposition: better sea-rations. Have you seen the slop they feed the rank-and-file? It looks like dog sick. If we give'em better food, they'll fight harder and die less, right?

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
But you see, we feed them slop because no proud Frenchman wants that to be his final meal. So he is very much motivated to return home and eat a fine meal with his family again. If we fed them feasts at sea, they would be content to die there!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Asehujiko posted:

I shall join the Big ships, bigger guns party and back the additional research bill.

I too, agree with both of those things. Also, to maintain our superiority, I vote that we go the speed route.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Alikchi posted:

Dropping subs is a crazy idea. Our greatest naval threat is Britain and advanced submarines doing commerce warfare will be the only way to bring them to their knees without incredibly improbable traditional naval victories.

This is dirty Spanish thinking! We ought to be investing that money in a better fleet so that victory during our fleet engagement is insured!

Also, what kind of cowardly fighter dances and prances out of the way of his opponent's blows? I propose that No battleship faster than 17kt be constructed.

You're all a bunch of cowards and will be the death of this glorious nation with your new ideas.

S w a y z e fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 19, 2015

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Submarines are basically the wine cellars of naval warfare.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Without three centerline turrets or crossfiring wing turrets there's little point to building battleships at the moment. Better to design some improved cruisers and coastal submarines as those will be useful for decades.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Can we please try not to actively sabotage the head admiral right off the bat? A game where we're desperately fighting to not be in last place all the way to the end isn't fun :smith:

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Arglebargle III posted:

Without three centerline turrets or crossfiring wing turrets there's little point to building battleships at the moment. Better to design some improved cruisers and coastal submarines as those will be useful for decades.

Won't the navy league try to knife us all in our sleep if we don't have some big ships?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Mukaikubo posted:

Won't the navy league try to knife us all in our sleep if we don't have some big ships?

The battleships we have should be sufficient to keep them happy for a few years unless someone (*cough* England *cough*) lays down a bunch.

I mean, just to make things clear. We have 7 Battleships with another 2 under construction that is probably more than enough*. We should avoid constructing more battleships for now in favor of more Armored Cruisers and Protected Cruisers. We actually have a good amount of Protected Cruisers/CLs, but they're all kinda mediocre. I do feel we're short a few Armored Cruisers, we only have 4!

But really, I want to see what the other navies are packing in terms of numbers/tonnage levels before I make any sweeping statements.

*Again, England or another close competitor could prove me wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Illegal Username posted:

The BE and DE armor is superfluous, you can axe it for some more speed if you want to draw on your not-actually-building-this-in-1900 knowledge. Casemates are also probably a better investment than secondary turrets with our tech.

uPen fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jul 19, 2015

• Locked thread