Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pawn
May 24, 2008

Madcosby posted:

Put the balls in your mouth

the heavier one will go into your stomach

duh

oh theres a scale?

Even Pam could only get four pool balls in her mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

GBS used to be smart enough for threads with puzzles like this but I dunno if we're at that level any more.

Here's my entry, you can work for me if you answer this. (.....NOT!!)

You are sharing a pepperoni pizza with your fellow goon. It has a lot of pepperonis on it, but cleverly, you notice that some of the slices have more pepperoni than others. Obviously you want to try to maximize your pepperoni count, that's some basic goon instinct there. The way you go about choosing slices is, you go first, and take any slice you want. Then, the other guy takes one of the two slices adjacent to the first one. This continues to alternate, so each of you has two choices for each slice. Is there a way you can guarantee that you get more delicious pepperonis than the other goon?

If we assume that the other guy also wants to maximize his pepperoni, then I don't think there's a technique to guarantee that you get more in general. There's an arrangement where you're forced into an equal number of pepperonis, where there are just 2 "extra" slices next to each other. On the other hand, for a given arrangement there may be a guaranteed strategy, for instance with 1 extra pepperoni slice the strategy is to just take it first.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

shove them all up ur rear end, jump around a bit and the jumping will make the heaviest drop to the bottom and then just poo poo it out

the interviewer will love it

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The real answer is you take multiple, non-adjacent slices at once in a blatant pepperoni power play.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

If we assume that the other guy also wants to maximize his pepperoni, then I don't think there's a technique to guarantee that you get more in general. There's an arrangement where you're forced into an equal number of pepperonis, where there are just 2 "extra" slices next to each other. On the other hand, for a given arrangement there may be a guaranteed strategy, for instance with 1 extra pepperoni slice the strategy is to just take it first.

Incorrect - I can guarantee that I can get greater than or equal to the number of pepperonis for an arbitrary arrangement. Yes, the other goon (it might be a girl!!!) is maximizing pepperonis. (The pizza has 8 slices, as I clarified in a later post, if that helps.) I don't know what you mean by the "2 extra slices".

PS: wanna share a pizza :getin:

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Incorrect - I can guarantee that I can get greater than or equal to the number of pepperonis for an arbitrary arrangement. Yes, the other goon (it might be a girl!!!) is maximizing pepperonis. (The pizza has 8 slices, as I clarified in a later post, if that helps.) I don't know what you mean by the "2 extra slices".

PS: wanna share a pizza :getin:

I mean, consider the arrangement where there are exactly two slices with extra pepperoni right next to each other. As soon as someone takes the first one, the second one is open to being taken by the other person. If both people are maximizing the pepperoni it can't work any other way.

edit: Just saw that you are saying more or equal. Then it can probably work.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

I mean, consider the arrangement where there are exactly two slices with extra pepperoni right next to each other. As soon as someone takes the first one, the second one is open to being taken by the other person. If both people are maximizing the pepperoni it can't work any other way.

edit: Just saw that you are saying more or equal. Then it can probably work.

Yeah - or equal is pretty key. The case where the slices are all the same would be equal of course, though I guess it was misleading since I explicitly excluded that. Find the strategy. I can fully characterize the set of configurations where my solution only gets you equal once someone gets the answer.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
The pepperoni strat is to number every slice from 1-8 and count the total number of pepperoni on the evens and odds, then from the parity with the most total pepperoni pick the one slice with the most pepperoni on it so the other guy gets a worse deal

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Beef Turret posted:

The pepperoni strat is to number every slice from 1-8 and count the total number of pepperoni on the evens and odds, then from the parity with the most total pepperoni pick the one slice with the most pepperoni on it so the other guy gets a worse deal

welcome to jeffcorp

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I interviewed at a relatively well known consumer audio company for an IT position once and a MIT Phd and his assistant interviewed me to start. The phd guy gave me a logic problem and i solved it in like 5 minutes. The assistant was staring at me wide eyed and the phd guy said "oh he took a few days to solve it, good job". They wanted to hire me on the spot apparently, but the next guy, the IT manager said i didnt know enough about IT which was true, i totally botched a subnet question. Good

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Tautologicus posted:

I interviewed at a relatively well known consumer audio company for an IT position once and a MIT Phd and his assistant interviewed me to start. The phd guy gave me a logic problem and i solved it in like 5 minutes. The assistant was staring at me wide eyed and the phd guy said "oh he took a few days to solve it, good job". They wanted to hire me on the spot apparently, but the next guy, the IT manager said i didnt know enough about IT which was true, i totally botched a subnet question. Good

Wow, we got a smart cookie posting in GBS. Check out this guy over here - basically, he easily answered a really tough interview question that impressed an MIT grad, but he didn't bother to bone up on his IT stuff and didn't get an offer. Hey, it's no big deal for him though, turns out it was all for the best.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
Weigh the balls and the moment you find a heavier one that's your mark (2-8 steps) or break them in half, whichever four weigh mor break in half again, then narrow to two etc.

Buffer Overflow
Sep 3, 2006
Interweb Addict
This is like some standard bullshit question for Google interns. Goldman Sachs would have candidates describe how to best monetize poor people's organs and how to define values for CDOs based on liver tranches. The actual answer isn't important; its just to see if they get squeamish when they include infant organs are included in the tranches.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Moridin920 posted:

yea

might take a third step if you get unlucky here though: o/ø o

because you'll have to figure out which of the two is weighted more unless I'm mistaken.

edit: it was already answered sorry

vote for Bernie Sanders :bernget:

Calbiyum
May 18, 2015

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Tell an intern to handle it, I have important work to do.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Beef Turret posted:

Someone figure out the friggin pepperoni strat!!

you cut the pizza so the slice is 2/3 of the pizza and take that.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
the plane still takes off

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

DoctorTristan posted:

Actual interview question:

How can three men have mutually safe heterosexual sex with one woman using only two condoms?

This is the real important question here.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I suck at math and still make mid 6 in IT

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I like dumbass companies who use gimmick questions instead of coming up with a practical interview.c

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006

Darth123123 posted:

I suck at math and still make mid 6 in IT

$6.50 an hour. WOW! :eyepop:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

DoctorTristan posted:

Actual interview question:

How can three men have mutually safe heterosexual sex with one woman using only two condoms?

it's supposed to be one guy and three women but you made it impossible with your fantasy foursome

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

Tautologicus posted:

this, but i also answered the IT (data) question. also the interviewer was a hot chick and i turned down the job offer at first, accepted it 2 weeks later and still got in :smugdog::pipe:

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Wow, we got a smart cookie posting in GBS. Check out this guy over here - basically, he easily answered a really tough interview question that impressed an MIT grad, but he didn't bother to bone up on his IT stuff and didn't get an offer. Hey, it's no big deal for him though, turns out it was all for the best.

Yea this

Khorne
May 1, 2002
The question is poorly defined.

You have a "set" of scales? How many scales is a set?

What type of scale? I notice some people on the first page are assuming it's a balance, but why would you call that a "set" of scales?

Are we looking for the least amount of steps on average, in the worst case, or in the best case? This is pretty relevant.

Does each weighing count as a step? If you have 8 scales you can figure it in one step by weighing each ball on a scale.

If it is a balance then 3-3-2 split is the most efficient with two weighing operations max. But if it's not a balance then there are other solutions unless each weighing of a group counts as an action then 3-3-2 is still superior at 4 operations but it gets complicated here because knowing ball weight and knowing whether they want minimum, maximum, or average results can change the approach slightly.

I mean if you make the balance assumption why not assume you can design a specialized scale just for this case where you put 8 balls on separate limbs and get it in 1 operation.

Do we know the expected weight of individual balls ahead of time? This might not be relevant, but it could also help depending on scale type and rules for what counts as a step.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 18, 2015

Dicky Longcocking
Jan 2, 2015

it's supposed to be one guy and three women but you made it impossible with your fantasy foursome

I looked up this answer and since when is it okay to reuse condoms? Let alone turn them inside out. Plus if you turn it inside out wouldn't you have the pussy juices of one of the women all over your cock anyway?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Dicky Longcocking posted:

I looked up this answer and since when is it okay to reuse condoms? Let alone turn them inside out. Plus if you turn it inside out wouldn't you have the pussy juices of one of the women all over your cock anyway?

It's not, there's no point reasoning about weird puzzle logic. Turning it inside out is the insight the puzzle wanted you to have whether it makes sense or not.

Khorne posted:

The question is poorly defined.

Making concrete assumptions about vague problems is a reasoning skill to test candidates for.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 18, 2015

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I will pick a ball at random and declare it the heaviest ball. If anyone disagrees with me, I will strongly suggestion that HR do a performance review on them. I will tout the ball as the heaviest of the balls and share this information with others in news interviews. If anyone publicly disagrees with me, I will use this as an opportunity to gain more exposure, increasing the level of conflict. Eventually I will sell consulting and videos telling people how to pick the heaviest ball using such principles as "speak loudly and clearly" and "lean forward". After making significant amounts of money from this process, I will drop the ball and blame it on Obama.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Split the balls into two equal halves of 4 and 4 and then discard the lighter side.

Split into two equal halves of 2 and 2 then discard.

Next find the heavy ball.

3 steps

Give me millions of dollars to move numbers around on a computer

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Doctor Reynolds posted:

step 1: weigh all the balls

there, solved

:golfclap:

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

rakovsky maybe posted:

You have eight balls and a set of scales. Seven of the balls weigh identically, the eighth is heavier. Using the fewest steps possible, how do you find the heavy ball?

easy bribe or threaten the underwriter to give a random ball AAA rating,

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

If you cut the pizza so the slices are alternating giant and tiny, then take a giant slice your opponent can only grab a tiny slice, and that tiny slice will open up a giant slice for you to take, leaving two tiny slices again. Maximizing the amount of pizza you get, you get the most pepperoni.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

here is my sweet diagram

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

If the slices don't have to cut through the middle you could do this, too.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What if your opponent just grabs one of the other giant slices fuckhead

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Tautologicus posted:

What if your opponent just grabs one of the other giant slices fuckhead

You can only grab adjacent open slices.

GBS used to be smart enough for threads with puzzles like this but I dunno if we're at that level any more.

You are sharing a pepperoni pizza with your fellow goon. It has a lot of pepperonis on it, but cleverly, you notice that some of the slices have more pepperoni than others. Obviously you want to try to maximize your pepperoni count, that's some basic goon instinct there. The way you go about choosing slices is, you go first, and take any slice you want. Then, the other guy takes one of the two slices adjacent to the first one. This continues to alternate, so each of you has two choices for each slice. Is there a way you can guarantee that you get more delicious pepperonis than the other goon?

Potsticker fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jul 18, 2015

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Potsticker posted:

You can only grab adjacent open slices.

Says who, the pizza police?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Tautologicus posted:

Says who, the pizza police?

says the guy who posed the riddle question thing

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Potsticker posted:

says the guy who posed the riddle question thing

His riddle was flawed. Much like his posting.

Anyway it didnt specify whether you could cut it or not. Maybe it comes pre-cut.

Admittedly i didnt actually read the riddle until now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Do you shift goals at your company as often as you have amended this puzzle so you never have to give anyone a raise ever for good performance?

• Locked thread