Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

CISMALES DID 9-11 posted:

wow balls huh, nice misogyny -- you'll be hearing from my tumblr

trigger'd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Pizza comes divided into equally sized slices, geez, the variable is the amount of pepperoni. You big/little slice thing does figure out the solution those, the high-pepperoni slices are "big in spirit" as they say. Beef turret got it first.

my new pizza franchise will feature a webapp where you can draw the slices you want in an mspaint gui and we will make that pizza for you

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster

Khorne posted:

The question is poorly defined.

You have a "set" of scales? How many scales is a set?

What type of scale? I notice some people on the first page are assuming it's a balance, but why would you call that a "set" of scales?

Are we looking for the least amount of steps on average, in the worst case, or in the best case? This is pretty relevant.

Does each weighing count as a step? If you have 8 scales you can figure it in one step by weighing each ball on a scale.

If it is a balance then 3-3-2 split is the most efficient with two weighing operations max. But if it's not a balance then there are other solutions unless each weighing of a group counts as an action then 3-3-2 is still superior at 4 operations but it gets complicated here because knowing ball weight and knowing whether they want minimum, maximum, or average results can change the approach slightly.

I mean if you make the balance assumption why not assume you can design a specialized scale just for this case where you put 8 balls on separate limbs and get it in 1 operation.

Do we know the expected weight of individual balls ahead of time? This might not be relevant, but it could also help depending on scale type and rules for what counts as a step.

can somebody call security to get this guy out of my office

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Beef Turret posted:

The pepperoni strat is to number every slice from 1-8 and count the total number of pepperoni on the evens and odds, then from the parity with the most total pepperoni pick the one slice with the most pepperoni on it so the other guy gets a worse deal

This was the actual solution? Its so dry and obvious. Where's the thinking outside the box?

The pizza question is no turning a condom inside out let me tell you.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Tautologicus posted:

His riddle was flawed. Much like his posting.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib
Step 1: Shove 7 balls up the interviewer's rear end (don't use a condom) and push them in really deep using a pepperoni (again no condom), say remaining ball is the heavy one.

Step 2: Cut the pepperoni 70/30 and give him the small part

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
1. Dodge responsibility.
2. Blame everyone else.
3. Bail out of the company with golden parachute.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Still loving the people who come in here all, "Not even gonna bother reading the thread but it obviously takes three steps shitlords. :smug:"

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
first, you unfold several paper napkins and place them over the pizza,

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Howard Beale posted:

first, you unfold several paper napkins and place them over the pizza,

Will you keep the pizza box on the floor if you don't eat it all right now?

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Moridin920 posted:

gravity is loving weird when you think about it

easily the 'weakest' force but also the only one able to work at such long distances

Gravity ain't so loving weak when ur mom is riding my dick I can tell you!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

rear end cobra posted:

Is Goldman mostly nerds or psychos?

Psycho nerds. All the non-psycho nerds work at places like Google where you don't have to work 16 hours a day, and all the non-nerd psychos work in the USPS

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

loquacius posted:

Psycho nerds. All the non-psycho nerds work at places like Google where you don't have to work 16 hours a day, and all the non-nerd psychos work in the USPS

Haha you think google doesn't expect you to work 16 hour days. They have chefs and sleeping rooms for a reason.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

job interview scores have no correlation with work performance

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ArmZ posted:

job interview scores have no correlation with work performance

They do, because if you don't pass the interview test you don't get to even have a go at showing your work performance.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

A Man With A Plan posted:

Haha you think google doesn't expect you to work 16 hour days. They have chefs and sleeping rooms for a reason.

Yeah Google has all the fringe benefits like free laundry and food because they don't want their employees to leave campus/have a life outside of work.

Apple is even worse

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Slightly off topic but i think it bears repeating that facebook headquarters is right next to a huge swamp

I think if you give a stupid answer to an interview question they throw you in

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

etalian posted:

Yeah Google has all the fringe benefits like free laundry and food because they don't want their employees to leave campus/have a life outside of work.

Apple is even worse

These are good points, someone I work with actually recently told me about someone he knows who works at Facebook who basically lives at the Facebook office and sleeps in an RV

They don't let him park the RV overnight so he has to drive it to a random parking lot somewhere else

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
lol what a bitch baby question for someone who has to be good with numbers, but I think the telling an intern to do it is the right answer

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Google actually found gimmick questions weren't useful compared to more obvious challenges such as creating practical tests directly related to the job.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

final answer

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You can't do that - the pizza is a circle and you only get a free choice on the first slice. After that, there are always two edges, and both pizza eaters always have two choices until the last slice remaining.

you have ordered a half-half pizza with someone who thinks seafood is an attractive topping.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

loquacius posted:

been said already, but lol. those ball pits and slides you see at the offices are never used, everyone is rabidly fighting each other to work more hours at tech companies.

as for places like goldman, you don't have to be a nerd. psycho with a passable penchant for numbers will do.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lorn Wayne posted:

been said already, but lol. those ball pits and slides you see at the offices are never used, everyone is rabidly fighting each other to work more hours at tech companies.

as for places like goldman, you don't have to be a nerd. psycho with a passable penchant for numbers will do.

I like the story of the Goldman Sachs intern who worked himself to death

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

etalian posted:

I like the story of the Goldman Sachs intern who worked himself to death

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/17/us-goldmansachs-interns-idUSKBN0OX1LA20150617

lol and they had to tell interns to please go home...maybe

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

lorn Wayne posted:

I work at a tech company (which only serves ONE free meal a day) and it's not like that, nor has anywhere else I've worked, but I have heard it about Google and Facebook in particular and I'd 100% believe Apple is like that too

and I've known a few people who worked at Goldman or Goldman equivalents (Morgan Stanley etc) and they were all (particularly masochistic) nerds but it might just be that I know a lot of nerds

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

loquacius posted:

I work at a tech company (which only serves ONE free meal a day) and it's not like that, nor has anywhere else I've worked, but I have heard it about Google and Facebook in particular and I'd 100% believe Apple is like that too

and I've known a few people who worked at Goldman or Goldman equivalents (Morgan Stanley etc) and they were all (particularly masochistic) nerds but it might just be that I know a lot of nerds

yeah should've stressed I meant the larger ones like google. i've worked at smaller tech firms and they're pretty chill.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I'm sure it's been answered, but it's two steps: Weigh three balls against three, take the three that weigh least and weigh two of those against each other. It's the lightest one, unless they're equal in which case it's the unweighed ball. Obv if the two threesomes weigh equal, weigh the two unweighed balls.

Here's one of my favorite riddles:

Which weighs more: A pound of feathers or a pound of gold?

And before one of those "mommy told me I'm smart so I think I am even though I'm not" people chimes in with "a pound is a pound," just know that you are wrong and shouldn't post that.

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

Drunk Nerds posted:

I'm sure it's been answered, but it's two steps: Weigh three balls against three, take the three that weigh least and weigh two of those against each other. It's the lightest one, unless they're equal in which case it's the unweighed ball. Obv if the two threesomes weigh equal, weigh the two unweighed balls.

Here's one of my favorite riddles:

Which weighs more: A pound of feathers or a pound of gold?

And before one of those "mommy told me I'm smart so I think I am even though I'm not" people chimes in with "a pound is a pound," just know that you are wrong and shouldn't post that.

is this that oh ho ho gold is weighed with a different standard so feathers weighs more answer or am i thinking of something else?

cos if it is, that riddle annoyed the crap out of me when my gold-obsessed friend first told it to me a while back.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I do IT work for GS every once in a while as a vendor, they are psychotic and it only gets worse as you move up the ladder.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

lorn Wayne posted:

is this that oh ho ho gold is weighed with a different standard so feathers weighs more answer or am i thinking of something else?

cos if it is, that riddle annoyed the crap out of me when my gold-obsessed friend first told it to me a while back.
yup, good job.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tailored Sauce posted:

I do IT work for GS every once in a while as a vendor, they are psychotic and it only gets worse as you move up the ladder.

It's basically the darwinian process that filters people for immoral psychotic behavior.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Drunk Nerds posted:

yup, good job.

The fun part is when you ask "What about an ounce of feathers and an ounce of gold?" and the answer is the other way around. Troy ounce vs. regular ones.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
I go to a doctor to see if having more then two balls can cause health complications.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

You only have to work to 1200AM now, what kind corporate overlords.

Kharohz
Jul 25, 2007

THE BELL TOLLS FOR THEE

rakovsky maybe posted:

You have eight balls and a set of scales. Seven of the balls weigh identically, the eighth is heavier. Using the fewest steps possible, how do you find the heavy ball?

Simply ask the interviewer which ball it is.

or

As long as you don't walk anywhere it will take no steps.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Beef Turret posted:

No
code:
      ____------ 
     |    |    \o/
 o \ø/    |

------------- 
   \o/    |    \o/
 ø        |

------_____ 
   \o/    |     |
 o        |    \ø/

they look so happy!!

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
alternatively: the heavier ball is made of gold, pocket that one

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

The real answer is zero. If the ball is actually noticeably heavier then you just pick up the balls until you find one that's heavier than the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

I had a buddy interview at a really small IT start-up and one of the guys on the panel tried to pull some dumb question like this and he said "is this supposed to test how I deal with difficult questions under pressure, or do you honestly expect a serious answer?" and the guy looked him squarely in the eye and said "I have never been more serious about anything in my life." So my buddy called him 'The Riddler' and went to leave and the guy chased him and tried to get him to come back and eventually admitted that he was the only person who had agreed to come in for an interview.

• Locked thread