Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

psyopmonkey2 posted:

Split the balls into two sets of 4.

Whichever is heaviest contains the large ball. Then split the four with the heaviest ball into two groups of two.

Find the group with the heaviest again.

Split that into two, and bam, you have the heaviest ball.

They asked us something similar when I was at a place.

Dumbass questions ITT

This solution always takes 3 weighings. You can alter this to take 2 weighings half the time and at most 3 weighings, which can be a big difference if you've got lots of balls rolling around.

Split the balls into two sets of 4. Edge the second set aside for a moment (or possibly forever, you big tease).

Split your first set of four into two pairs of balls and teabag either side of your scale.

If one of your pairs is heavier, then one of those two is the ball you've been dreaming of. Your second weighing determines which one. Hence, half the time you finish yourself off in two weighings.

If not, repeat the process with your second set of four balls. Before you get past 3 weighings you've emptied out your balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

you can do it in two weighings guaranteed and the solution was already posted

You caught me. Found me out. That cuts deep.

Balls deep.

• Locked thread