Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Getting some memories at the bar seems important. Does dropping in on Elizabeth prevent that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

SelenicMartian posted:

Getting some memories at the bar seems important. Does dropping in on Elizabeth prevent that?

Maybe :). Whichever one we do first, I'll try to do the other one afterwards, but I am not making any guarantees...

Also, the order in which you do things can often make a difference in this game.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 1, 2015

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
There doesn't seem to be much context to guess which option is the mistake here...

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Well, delivering the letter can be described as a short walk I suppose? One added to by the metro.

Bon Yack
Aug 19, 2010
If our current personality is carefree and easy-going then maybe our best course of action is to remain in character and take our time, exploring the rest of the city looking for clues etc. Though it might also be prudent to ask ourselves if the carefree personality is the most suitable to have given our current predicament.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
You still around, OP?

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Anoia posted:

You still around, OP?

Yeah, I'm still here. I've just been really busy lately, but I hope to have the next update ready within a week or so.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
These are good news.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Yeah, I was thinking that last episode was a really awkward sort of cliffhanger, considering.

I'm really enjoying this LP and appreciate you translating everything, by the way. This game is a real gem, I just wish some sort of English patch existed cause it seems like it has a ton of replay value.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Anoia posted:

Yeah, I was thinking that last episode was a really awkward sort of cliffhanger, considering.

I'm really enjoying this LP and appreciate you translating everything, by the way. This game is a real gem, I just wish some sort of English patch existed cause it seems like it has a ton of replay value.

I have some good news for you! While googling for information about the game, I came across this post on a Danish game development forum: http://www.spiludvikling.dk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3599. Apparently, a new team of developers, including the original tech lead, have acquired the rights and assets to the game and are planning to Kickstart a tablet version in the near future. Updating the game is possible, because most of the game logic is stored in text files, using a custom scripting language.

Not only that, but I e-mailed the team, and it turns out that the original developers DID produce an English version of the game, with full English VA and everything. It just wasn't published, because the international publishers cancelled the project, but the tablet version will have an English language option.

Of course, this means that my subtitle translation will be outdated, but I suppose there might still be some interest in watching the Danish original with subtitles :)

In other good news, I have finished recording for the next update and hope to be able to finish the subtitling during the weekend.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

In this episode, we learn a ton of background information and start to piece together what is going on. It seems like we need to figure out how to get a head in the game.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 3, 2015

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I wonder if anyone chose to flirt with her after finding out about Elisabeth being your half sister...

Bon Yack
Aug 19, 2010
Great to see you're back. Also really interesting to hear about that tablet version kickstarter.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

SimonChris posted:

I have some good news for you! While googling for information about the game, I came across this post on a Danish game development forum: http://www.spiludvikling.dk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3599. Apparently, a new team of developers, including the original tech lead, have acquired the rights and assets to the game and are planning to Kickstart a tablet version in the near future. Updating the game is possible, because most of the game logic is stored in text files, using a custom scripting language.

Not only that, but I e-mailed the team, and it turns out that the original developers DID produce an English version of the game, with full English VA and everything. It just wasn't published, because the international publishers cancelled the project, but the tablet version will have an English language option.

Of course, this means that my subtitle translation will be outdated, but I suppose there might still be some interest in watching the Danish original with subtitles :)

In other good news, I have finished recording for the next update and hope to be able to finish the subtitling during the weekend.
Tell them that they really should plan on making a PC version as well, because people on Kickstarter expect it when it comes to games and I would totally back it if they did. Maybe see if Night Dive and/or GOG can help out with any porting problems.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I wanted to get this episode up tonight, so I will post the full book translations later.

We have some important choices to make now:

The four choices vis-a-vis Bob are:
1) gently caress him up
2) Run away
3) Blackmail
4) Explain

Secondary choice: Should we try to work something out with Elisabeth or just leave her out of this entirely?

Edit:
The full translations of the texts in the book are posted below:

Journal entry posted:

I can hear you grinding your teeth, but your lungs are burned away!!!!
I see your hands reaching out, but they are robbed of the desire that could make them hold on to even the slightest shred of life!!
I am the bonfire in the night. A knife that cuts a hole in the sky. A tightrope walker seeing heaven to one side and hell to the other....
And I am staying on the line. And I stomp on your face. I look you straight in the eyes until you have to look away because your pupils melt.
Because your brain sizzles and you smell smoke.
What is louder than the crying of the children - the roar of the fire.
I burn life clean!!!! And eat your ashes!

Letter from mom posted:

Dear Gabriel
I was 27 years old before your father freed me from the miserable life I had been leading. Before he pulled me up.
I was notorious for being the most sadistic whore on the block.
I enjoyed seeing the men squirm.
They reminded me of where I should have kept my own father.... Beneath my heel. I never let your father go all the way either, unless I was dead drunk.
No one promised us that life would be easy. Pain is a fundamental feature. We are born with it, and we die with it.
- Mom

Letter from dad posted:

Gabriel
I worked patiently, formally and without being seen.
I was taught that children should be seen and not heard.
I was taught that if you won't listen, you must feel.
I patiently passed it on.
I think it was the only time I was really awake and could feel - it freed me from own pain every time I struck.
I think we lived the darkness of our intimate life through you.
In the beginning you thought it had to be like that, that the same things happened to the others when their parents dragged them down into the basement.
I ought to say that I was filled with remorse.
But life isn't like that, it is not a question of right and wrong - but merely of what is possible.
It was possible to use you.
It brought me nothing but pleasure.
Dad

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 1, 2015

Bon Yack
Aug 19, 2010
Things are heating up...

I'm unsure about what the best way to deal with Bob is. Playing though and attempting to use the head as blackmail might work, but I don't know if our protagonist is up to the task.

We definitely should have another chat with Elizabeth. I doubt the old lady would hurt her.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I guess we should probably explain. I don't get the feeling we're being deliberately malicious towards the widow -- we seem way too brain-burnt for that -- and it doesn't seem fair to get Kathe killed because we had an episode. Talking with Elizabeth is probably a good option, too.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Oof, this is a tough one. I say try and explain, and also work something out in case things still go south.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Oh god, our main character is a total goony weeaboo with his secret lair all decked out in hentai. :haw:

Agreeing with explain and talking to Elizabeth.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.

Accordion Man posted:

Oh god, our main character is a total goony weeaboo with his secret lair all decked out in hentai.
Considering that our struggling artist neighbor's in-game art are all also pin-ups from manga and the like, I was just going to ignore the screenshots from old-timey hentai games as "in-universe-smut." Especially since the whole room is unsettling as a whole. Makes me wonder if there ever even was a fishmonger or whomever we were supposed to meet in what turned out to be our own hideout.

All the options look like they'll go terribly no matter what.
It seems like the smartest choice would be to double-down and try blackmail whilst working with Elisabeth.

Bob doesn't seem like the type who'd accept explanations, and the Widow seems resourceful enough that escaping is kind of out of the question. We got our asses handed to us by a group when we left a bar, so I don't think fighting is our forte. Teaming up with Elisabeth might give us some leverage against the Widow due to her desire to get along again with her daughter, and she may rein in Bob in that case- especially with the double-whammy of actually confirming the threat she suspected about us blackmailing them with the missing head. Or course, we can't follow up on the threat since apparently we don't actually know where the head is, but, y'know: they don't seem to know that.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Makes me wonder if there ever even was a fishmonger or whomever we were supposed to meet in what turned out to be our own hideout.

I think my translation is a bit off here. "The old fishmonger" is an old fish store, in which our hideout is apparently now located. We weren't supposed to meet anyone there. A creepy attic atop a narrow staircase does seem like a weird place to sell fish, but maybe that room was used for storage or something.

So far the votes seem to be:
Explain: 3.
Blackmail 2.

I have been away for the weekend, but I will post the translated texts early next week and then check the final vote. One vote can still make a difference!

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

SimonChris posted:

I think my translation is a bit off here. "The old fishmonger" is an old fish store, in which our hideout is apparently now located. We weren't supposed to meet anyone there. A creepy attic atop a narrow staircase does seem like a weird place to sell fish, but maybe that room was used for storage or something.

So far the votes seem to be:
Explain: 3.
Blackmail 2.

I have been away for the weekend, but I will post the translated texts early next week and then check the final vote. One vote can still make a difference!

Ah so, "The old fishmonger's" then.

Also, explain

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Time flies, but here are the full texts of the letters from the attic:

Journal entry posted:

I can hear you grinding your teeth, but your lungs are burned away!!!!
I see your hands reaching out, but they are robbed of the desire that could make them hold on to even the slightest shred of life!!
I am the bonfire in the night. A knife that cuts a hole in the sky. A tightrope walker seeing heaven to one side and hell to the other....
And I am staying on the line. And I stomp on your face. I look you straight in the eyes until you have to look away because your pupils melt.
Because your brain sizzles and you smell smoke.
What is louder than the crying of the children - the roar of the fire.
I burn life clean!!!! And eat your ashes!

Letter from mom posted:

Dear Gabriel
I was 27 years old before your father freed me from the miserable life I had been leading. Before he pulled me up.
I was notorious for being the most sadistic whore on the block.
I enjoyed seeing the men squirm.
They reminded me of where I should have kept my own father.... Beneath my heel. I never let your father go all the way either, unless I was dead drunk.
No one promised us that life would be easy. Pain is a fundamental feature. We are born with it, and we die with it.
- Mom

Letter from dad posted:

Gabriel
I worked patiently, formally and without being seen.
I was taught that children should be seen and not heard.
I was taught that if you won't listen, you must feel.
I patiently passed it on.
I think it was the only time I was really awake and could feel - it freed me from own pain every time I struck.
I think we lived the darkness of our intimate life through you.
In the beginning you thought it had to be like that, that the same things happened to the others when their parents dragged them down into the basement.
I ought to say that I was filled with remorse.
But life isn't like that, it is not a question of right and wrong - but merely of what is possible.
It was possible to use you.
It brought me nothing but pleasure.
Dad

It seems like the current consensus is to explain things to Bob and try to work something out with Elisabeth.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

SimonChris posted:

Time flies, but here are the full texts of the letters from the attic:

Man. Our parents really suck. We'd have been better off as the Widow's son.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Those translations. :stare: That explains why we disassociate so much, I guess.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ghostwoods posted:

Man. Our parents really suck. We'd have been better off as the Widow's son.
Or the street sweeper, he seems like a cool guy.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

In this episode, almost everything goes according to plan.

The poetry collection that Kathe wanted is "Gypsy Ballads" by Federico García Lorca and is available at http://www.bpj.org/PDF/V02N1.pdf. The poem we read in the library is "The Faithless Wife", which starts at page 15.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 1, 2015

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Uh, oops. Probably should have waited for our hero to become more stable...

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Huh. Unfortunate.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Well, we were planning on leaving town anyway...

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Well gently caress.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
That was surprising, I didn't think our character would talk (was that him talking?).

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Mraagvpeine posted:

That was surprising, I didn't think our character would talk (was that him talking?).

We only ever hear our other self talk, but yeah, that's us.

It's actually really clever from a game design perspective and drives home the whole feeling of being out of control.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
We also spoke to Dr. Lütting back in Episode 5. Same cocky personality both times.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
http://nordicgamebits.com/2015/06/19/the-1997-blackout-is-getting-remastered-for-tablets/

More information about the planned tablet version.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Well, that's all folks!

I believe that's all four endings, but the mid- and endgame can differ significantly depending on your choices and what kind of person the game has decided you are. You don't always get to choose the ending either; on my initial playthrough, I went straight from the warehouse to the suicide ending. I'm happy that I had the opportunity to show off all the endings like this.

Unfortunately, I just don't have the time to brute-force my way through all possible combinations of actions, to figure out how to trigger the various personalities. I've only actually seen one other personality myself, and there are no guides for this game to be found anywhere on the internet. Also, with an official translation apparently under way, I don't really feel like writing any more subtitles.

So, I think we'll call this an LP. Thank you for watching :).

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 18, 2015

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
Congratulations on finishing your LP of this strange, interesting game. I wonder what the other three emotions would've resulted in in the two endings that seemed to be shaped by your 'psych profile,' though. Heck, I wonder if at that point where the 4 shadows are talking to you if the other three non-intellect ones can approach and talk to you.

Ah well, hopefully the remake gets a PC release, since I lack an iOS or Android enabled device.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ElTipejoLoco posted:

I wonder what the other three emotions would've resulted in in the two endings that seemed to be shaped by your 'psych profile,' though. Heck, I wonder if at that point where the 4 shadows are talking to you if the other three non-intellect ones can approach and talk to you.

They can indeed. The shadow that approaches you is your active personality.

Bon Yack
Aug 19, 2010
Great job with the LP. It is one unique piece of work, whatever else you may think of it.
I'll list some of the things I remember happening when I played the game that didn't show up in this playthrough. Spoilered, just in case.

If you play as the aggressive personality, the dominatrix in the brothel will ask you to go beat up and extort the deadbeat father of her son, which you can do if you so chose. Also Kathe won't be as welcoming when you first meet her.

You can make the thugs in the alley back down if you pick an option that suits your personality, try to fight them if you're aggressive etc. Since you can play that scene over and over again I believe you can use this to check which personality is currently dominant.

Attempting to explain the situation to Bob doesn't go over so well. He'll beat you up, and right before you enter the warehouse there's a scene where he dumps what I think is Kathe's body in the ocean. It doesn't effect the ending though.

There's a scene where you meet the blonde prostitute and she tells you that someone (probably you) burnt down her apartment, if I remember correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

Fantastic work on the LP! I know it can't be easy translating, subtitling, and then intercutting the travel transitions, and I don't blame you for not bothering with all the other paths. I liked the style of humor your commentary had, too. It's not to easy communicating that through text.

I want to thank you for sharing this with us. I'm really looking forward to trying the tablet version myself when it comes out.

• Locked thread