Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

XMNN posted:

p much all beer comes in 440 or 568 ml cans here. the only 330 ml cans ive seen are imported american hipster ipas and theyre dead expensive so ive never bothered trying them

That's funny because here in America the hipster IPAs are primarily sold in single bottles of...
[looks at conversion chart]
650 ml bottles (22 ounces)

You can get a sixer of 12 ounce IPA, but it's generally mass produced crap. The good stuff comes in four-packs or single 22 oz bottles. I think Pliny the Elder comes in 16.9 oz bottles.

So if you buy a six pack, it's 15 ounce (440 ml) cans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
yeah mostly, though 4 packs are at least as common. some of them are pint cans though

im pretty sure the ipas are mass produced their labels just have a hipster vibe to them

beersize chat

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

texaholic posted:

LMAO, so britian doesn't have ribeyes and miller lite? What a failure of a country, you stupid cunts.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
Yeah whatever about the british OP but god drat could you maybe timg those loving images

I mean god drat

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

That music at 20 seconds in, what is that from? I know I've heard it before. Harry Potter?

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Drunk Nerds posted:

That's funny because here in America the hipster IPAs are primarily sold in single bottles of...
[looks at conversion chart]
650 ml bottles (22 ounces)

You can get a sixer of 12 ounce IPA, but it's generally mass produced crap. The good stuff comes in four-packs or single 22 oz bottles. I think Pliny the Elder comes in 16.9 oz bottles.

So if you buy a six pack, it's 15 ounce (440 ml) cans?

um excuse me but hop czar from portland brewing and torpedo from sierra nevada are pretty good ipa you can get in 6 packs

maybe get off your high horse

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

XMNN posted:

yeah mostly, though 4 packs are at least as common. some of them are pint cans though

im pretty sure the ipas are mass produced their labels just have a hipster vibe to them

beersize chat

crowlers are the new hotness in the hipster beer world. iirc they're just under 950ml

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

That music at 20 seconds in, what is that from? I know I've heard it before. Harry Potter?

Aliens.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
oh my god i really want some ambrosia custard, ginger nuts, bounty bars

no prawn cocktail crisps though, gently caress

british food is the greatest. irn bru is the nectar of the gods.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Ben Smash posted:

Pretty sure Boddingtons Cream Ale and some kebab are a higher quality evening than yours

Grilled ribeye steak kicks the everfucking poo poo out of authentic British boiled dogmeat kebabs.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
do you retards genuinely think youre the only people in the whole world to work out how to cut up and cook a cow lol

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
like at least talk about barbecue or something goddamn americans are a stupid people

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Das Boo posted:

Brits hate Americans 'cause they know we have all the Girl Scout Cookies.

Think you mean biscuits.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
pictured: actually unique and authentically american cuisine

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

XMNN posted:

like at least talk about barbecue or something goddamn americans are a stupid people

I do love to stand around small grill on a drizzly 12°C day in July watching frozen Lidle burgers blacken over Easy-Lite charcoal and drink Tennents lager

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
so many memories

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you

XMNN posted:

pictured: actually unique and authentically american cuisine

This is poo poo from the Midwest, none of us claim anything or anyone from there.

bitterandtwisted posted:

I do love to stand around small grill on a drizzly 12°C day in July watching frozen Lidle burgers blacken over Easy-Lite charcoal and drink Tennents lager

Lol speak American tia

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
an american once asked me what flavour tea i wanted and i had a minor existential crisis

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

Gum posted:

an american once asked me what flavour tea i wanted and i had a minor existential crisis

"Erm...the normal kind, please?"

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
Because I moved to the UK from Canada, I am uniquely qualified to speak on this subject, as I have both the necessary contempt for American processed food and refusal to adopt the metric system, and the initial stereotype of British food being terrible.

The truth is, British food became good over the past 15 years or so. More importantly, like America, it just steals other culture's cuisines anyway. Kebab, however, is poo poo, from at least 90% of the places that serve it. Go to Ottawa, Montreal, or New York, get a real Lebanese shawarma plate or sandwich and you will realise this. Putting processed donair meat, some liquidy mayo that's been sat out all day, a handful of iceberg lettuce, anaemic chili sauce, and a few slivers of tomato in a pita does not make a good middle eastern meal. I haven't even encountered proper toum apart from at Yalla Yalla or expensive places in Shepherd's Market.

Both the US and UK obviously have world class chefs and restaurants. In the UK, they just happen to be concentrated into a much smaller space.

British beer, mustard, bangers, cheese, etc are all top tier. The pickles (gherkins) are awful however. Stop putting sugar in them. I have to go to eastern European delis to get decent pickles. I also can't understand why Strongbow was the vanguard for ciders entering other markets. In Canada, for the longest time, the only cider was Strongbow. That stuff is sugar water for brain-dead chavs. There are so many legitimately good west country dry ciders with 7%+ a.b.v. that actually taste like a thing a grown-up would drink. I look forward to the day I can get Aspall Premier Cru on a patio in Canada.

I can also confirm that British colloquialism is universally terrible. It uses a system of infantile simplest most salient feature or use to refer to things, or weird child proto-language. The only thing that can be said in its defence is that at least it isn't as bad as Australian slang.

Note that some of these are regional (because a country of only 243,610 sq. km somehow has regions, most of which hate each other and all of which hate London)

Remembrance Day -> Poppy Day
Exit -> Way Out
Garbage can -> Bin
(regular sugar-containing) Coke -> Full-fat Coke
Any kind of dessert -> Pudding
Literally anything -> bits

gently caress bits. When I first saw this I was in shock. It goes all the way to the top, people. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go drink a glass of big boy orange juice with pulp.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
harsh but fair

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Celsius is how the devil takes the temperature in hell

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
i like how most of the hispanic food sections in grocery stores are tortillas, some strange soda, and hot sauce

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Artificial Idiocy posted:

Kebab, however, is poo poo, from at least 90% of the places that serve it.
There's probably something in this: places that see a dish as an exotic novelty are going to put a lot more effort in to things than those that see it as "that thing we've been serving to drunk people for the last 40 years".

quote:

I can also confirm that British colloquialism is universally terrible. It uses a system of infantile simplest most salient feature or use to refer to things, or weird child proto-language. The only thing that can be said in its defence is that at least it isn't as bad as Australian slang.

Note that some of these are regional (because a country of only 243,610 sq. km somehow has regions, most of which hate each other and all of which hate London)

Remembrance Day -> Poppy Day
Exit -> Way Out

No-one says "poppy day", maybe you just know children? (I have never heard half the supposed colloquialisms that get brought out in these threads) I am also sorry that your country is new and fake, have you considered splitting into a few dozen warring kingdoms for a few hundred years?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Dzhay posted:

There's probably something in this: places that see a dish as an exotic novelty are going to put a lot more effort in to things than those that see it as "that thing we've been serving to drunk people for the last 40 years".
Right like I don't know if there's even an American equivalent to it?

Don't say like "Taco Bell" or some other poo poo like that, no, that's a thing run by a large firm, not an independent motley, browbeaten handful of refugees getting charged out of the arse for an eight-inch diameter rod of compacted dog by wholesalers who'll rat them out to immigration if they even think about swapping suppliers.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Dzhay posted:

No-one says "poppy day", maybe you just know children? (I have never heard half the supposed colloquialisms that get brought out in these threads) I am also sorry that your country is new and fake, have you considered splitting into a few dozen warring kingdoms for a few hundred years?

Yeah it sounds like that guy has come over here and got a job where the only other employees are the British equivalent of hillbillys.

Ive heard people call regular coke full fat coke before and they are always retards.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
That "British section" looks about as bad as the few shops I've seen selling American food which usually amounts to a bunch of Oreo variants, butterfingers (which rule) and cans of drink.
Stupidly one of the biggest sellers one shop I know had was Pepsi throwback which as far as I know is just Pepsi sweetened with sugar instead of HFCS, it's stupid because normal Pepsi is sweetened with sugar in the UK.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

Kitchner posted:

Yeah it sounds like that guy has come over here and got a job where the only other employees are the British equivalent of hillbillys.

Ive heard people call regular coke full fat coke before and they are always retards.

I work in a branding agency in central London so I don't think this explains it. Our MD is the one who said full-fat though...not denying he may also be a retard.

Dzhay posted:

It's not an exotic novelty in Canada either - the shawarma places are cheap takeaways open until 4am where you get a monstrous amount of food for the equivalent of £8. They just tend to make and serve it the way they like it, with fattoush salad, tabbouleh, hummus, toum, pickled turnips, rice pilaf, etc, whereas in the UK I find ethnic cuisine tends to cater to the perceived palate of British people (adding chips). Your standard shawarma takeaway in Canada is very similar to Yalla Yalla only with big combo plates instead of individual small dishes.

I think the 40 years aspect is closer to the reason - kebab predates the British culinary revolution and may be largely vestigial.

Dzhay posted:

No-one says "poppy day", maybe you just know children?
Maybe mentally children - this industry is hardly a meritocracy. There is one co-worker in particular who is guilty of most of these, and she is actually from a moneyed background with friends who bring her to dinners at the palace sometimes. Maybe she is being ironic? It didn't feel that way but who knows.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Artificial Idiocy posted:

Because I moved to the UK from Canada, I am uniquely qualified to speak on this subject, as I have both the necessary contempt for American processed food and refusal to adopt the metric system, and the initial stereotype of British food being terrible.

The truth is, British food became good over the past 15 years or so. More importantly, like America, it just steals other culture's cuisines anyway. Kebab, however, is poo poo, from at least 90% of the places that serve it. Go to Ottawa, Montreal, or New York, get a real Lebanese shawarma plate or sandwich and you will realise this. Putting processed donair meat, some liquidy mayo that's been sat out all day, a handful of iceberg lettuce, anaemic chili sauce, and a few slivers of tomato in a pita does not make a good middle eastern meal. I haven't even encountered proper toum apart from at Yalla Yalla or expensive places in Shepherd's Market.
kebab is amazing when drunk or otherwise incapacitated to the point of not bothering to wonder what it's made of

Both the US and UK obviously have world class chefs and restaurants. In the UK, they just happen to be concentrated into a much smaller space.

British beer, mustard, bangers, cheese, etc are all top tier. The pickles (gherkins) are awful however. Stop putting sugar in them. I have to go to eastern European delis to get decent pickles. I also can't understand why Strongbow was the vanguard for ciders entering other markets. In Canada, for the longest time, the only cider was Strongbow. That stuff is sugar water for brain-dead chavs. There are so many legitimately good west country dry ciders with 7%+ a.b.v. that actually taste like a thing a grown-up would drink. I look forward to the day I can get Aspall Premier Cru on a patio in Canada.
strongbow is legit piss. it's probably the l;east drinkable cider before you start getting into 3l bottles of 9% intestine rotting alkie-fuel

it's beautiful in its simplicity. it's the leica of dialects

sorry you can't appreciate our rich tapestry of culture

Remembrance Day -> Poppy Day not a thing
Exit -> Way Out never really thought about this being a british thing but i like it; less formal than 'exit.' weird how it seems to be used in lieu of 'exit' in stations though
Garbage can -> Bin baller
(regular sugar-containing) Coke -> Full-fat Coke never heard anyone call it that except as a joke
Any kind of dessert -> Pudding yeah this is kind of stupid although it's not ubiquitous
Literally anything -> bits baller

gently caress bits. When I first saw this I was in shock. It goes all the way to the top, people. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go drink a glass of big boy orange juice with pulp.

pictured: a british institution

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
ginger nuts is a scottish favorite

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
I do appreciate the history and context of cultural variation across the UK, but there's a difference between warring over succession, and Londoners thinking northerners are ignorant and have a chip on their shoulder, while northerners think Londoners are posh twats.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
The German pictures are a small selection of genuine, everyday stuff from here yeah.
200-400% overpriced of course.

Try the potato dumplings with gravy and a piece of roast.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 18, 2015

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down

XMNN posted:

do you retards genuinely think youre the only people in the whole world to work out how to cut up and cook a cow lol

The only ones who know how to do it right

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

it's really not worth arguing over which poo poo bland food is better.

goatse.cx haver
Oct 17, 2010

precious metals
but you live in texas???

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

goatse.cx haver posted:

but you live in texas???

texas... is good.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I like how Americans are proud of their "let's throw pre-made poo poo on the grill / into a pot and let it sit there" idea of cuisine. I'm so proud of you, you are so special. :3:

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:

texaholic posted:

LMAO, so britian doesn't have ribeyes and miller lite? What a failure of a country, you stupid cunts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

• Locked thread