Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Professor Tomtom posted:

I hate america

I hate the parts of America which hate America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gargoyle
Feb 2, 2014

Professor Shark posted:

If I were to break my arm in the States I would be paying for it for the rest of my life.

Whenever I think about how hosed things are here in Canada, where our current government is trying it's damnest to get the US Republicans to notice them and give them a pat, I remember how loving hosed things are in the States.

How does your population not riot and demand UHC?

Because you don't have universal health care you just pay for healthcare in a completely different fashion. It's nice but I can't imagine in my small tiny brain it would scale well.

Also smart people: http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2014/06/13/if-universal-health-care-is-the-goal-dont-copy-canada/

http://www.radiolab.org/story/288733-23-weeks-6-days/ <--- do you have any idea how much this poo poo costs

http://www.radiolab.org/story/juicervose/ <---- costs $$$, will never get that back, but also really interesting and I felt like posting it here because I wanted too or something.

http://www.radiolab.org/story/sex-ducks-and-founding-feud/ <--- how govern't kinda works at it's core sort of? If they have issues regulating ducks, figuring out who is going to pay for a bill is certainly going to involve a lot of bullshit.

ANYWEH. Canadian system works okay for the 35 million Canadians, As someone who has health insurance I too have walked into places, had stuff done that cost some serious coin, and walked out without paying a dime. Getting it all to work with 319 million souls of all sorts of expensive medicalness compared to 35 million Canadians. Wife is a Team Coding Leader at one of the largest hospitals around here and has been working their for 15 years. Also when Sally Scumbag who never plans of paying a dime and goes to the hospital every month doesn't pay they need the money somewhere so they overcharge Timmy Hardworker for his poo poo to break even on Sally Scumbag. You'd do the same thing in your industry of choice don't lie. Yeah it's people but that gets old real quick when you don't actually have any money and expect everything to run on hopes dreams and facebook likes for kids with Cancer. (Of which I'm perfectly fine paying for the kids with Cancer, they didn't decide to get that poo poo. But not Sally Scumbag, gently caress her >:| )

I'd need more of a breakdown on that bill, I hate single post OPs. Like, any more info jackass? Anything? You're* paying for 4 full days of a hospital room treatment, with an entire floor/wing taking your vitals, giving you medications, and performing checkups and tests. probably one night in the ICU which there is literally a TEAM of doctors ready to do all sorts of poo poo 24/7 within like 3 minutes, an Ambulance ride that was ALS (Possibly a helicopter depending on if you were out in the loving boonies or something when you got bitten by a rattlesnake) plus the meds and antivenom that for all we know they had to fly in on helicopter depending on how much you needed.

The meds are obvs the huge cost but they probably used 4-5 different high-end anti-venoms, plus antibiotics, plus whatever else was needed via IV, or whatever method they used... depending on the bite and the length of time, and even where the bite was. Lab tests to make sure shits actually working. Also you needed Therapy services.

Reading the top part, you applied to Med-Cali, which once that poo poo kicks in (Instead of the whats probably going to happen thing of not doing it because gently caress the police or something) they will cover a LOT of this.

But yeah, posting this on reddit's outstandin and fixes everything.

*You is obviously not OP OP is reposting stuff methinks.

Hope the best for the dude that just lived through a rattlesnake bite and spent 4 days in the hospital as a result, in any case.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

If I were to break my arm in the States I would be paying for it for the rest of my life.

Whenever I think about how hosed things are here in Canada, where our current government is trying it's damnest to get the US Republicans to notice them and give them a pat, I remember how loving hosed things are in the States.

You are paying for it your entire life whether you break your arm or not because of your high as gently caress taxes/fees.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

It's all the delusional people that think that somehow god will take care them and nothing bad will ever happen to them because they are good christians that stand against homosexuality.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

CountingWizard posted:

It's all the delusional people that think that somehow god will take care them and nothing bad will ever happen to them because they are good christians that stand against homosexuality.

Nice straw man

no large group of people think this.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Professor Shark posted:

Flags, Guns, and calling people out on their "racism" is a more important priority apparently.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

Powercrazy posted:

Flags, Guns, and calling people out on their "racism" is a more important priority apparently.

No one waving a confederate flag wants UHC.

gently caress you.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Meiers Goldbrick posted:

No one waving a confederate flag wants UHC.

gently caress you.

No people who are against the confederate flag want UHC either.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

The Taint Reaper posted:

No people who are against the confederate flag want UHC either.

That's not true. I could get down with UHC and I wouldn't think ill of people assaulting people who wave the confederate flag around.

gently caress you.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Meiers Goldbrick posted:

That's not true. I could get down with UHC and I wouldn't think ill of people assaulting people who wave the confederate flag around.

gently caress you.

Then you still wouldn't need UHC, the prison healthcare system would take care of you.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

The Taint Reaper posted:

Then you still wouldn't need UHC, the prison healthcare system would take care of you.

I'm not doing the assaulting, I'm not a savage.

gently caress you.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Meiers Goldbrick posted:

I'm not doing the assaulting, I'm not a savage.

gently caress you.

Oh right you're a coward

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

The Taint Reaper posted:

Oh right you're a coward

Nah, I just have a job and poo poo, why would I go to a place where there a bunch of poors en mass?

gently caress you.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Meiers Goldbrick posted:

Nah, I just have a job and poo poo, why would I go to a place where there a bunch of poors en mass?

gently caress you.

White Flight ITT

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

The Taint Reaper posted:

White Flight ITT

Some of us are masters, some are slaves. Slaves are expendable.

gently caress you.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Meiers Goldbrick posted:

Some of us are masters, some are slaves. Slaves are expendable.

gently caress you.

Actually slaves were really expensive and were really not expendable.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

Nice straw man

no large group of people think this.

I don't just think these people exist, I was one of them until I left home. I live in Texas, and I guarantee you that giant swathes of our population believe in Prosperity Theology or some other virulent mutated strain that actively preaches against liberals and welfare states. It is really creepy to be driving across the state and only be able to pick up religious christian broadcasts.

CountingWizard fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 24, 2015

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

CountingWizard posted:

I don't just think these people exist, I was one of them until I left home. I live in Texas, and I guarantee you that giant swathes of our population believe in Prosperity Theology or some other virulent mutated strain that actively preaches against liberals and welfare states.

I too am originally from texas and have never heard anyone ever say that poo poo ever.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Gargoyle posted:

Because you don't have universal health care you just pay for healthcare in a completely different fashion. It's nice but I can't imagine in my small tiny brain it would scale well.

Also smart people: http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2014/06/13/if-universal-health-care-is-the-goal-dont-copy-canada/

http://www.radiolab.org/story/288733-23-weeks-6-days/ <--- do you have any idea how much this poo poo costs

http://www.radiolab.org/story/juicervose/ <---- costs $$$, will never get that back, but also really interesting and I felt like posting it here because I wanted too or something.

http://www.radiolab.org/story/sex-ducks-and-founding-feud/ <--- how govern't kinda works at it's core sort of? If they have issues regulating ducks, figuring out who is going to pay for a bill is certainly going to involve a lot of bullshit.

ANYWEH. Canadian system works okay for the 35 million Canadians, As someone who has health insurance I too have walked into places, had stuff done that cost some serious coin, and walked out without paying a dime. Getting it all to work with 319 million souls of all sorts of expensive medicalness compared to 35 million Canadians. Wife is a Team Coding Leader at one of the largest hospitals around here and has been working their for 15 years. Also when Sally Scumbag who never plans of paying a dime and goes to the hospital every month doesn't pay they need the money somewhere so they overcharge Timmy Hardworker for his poo poo to break even on Sally Scumbag. You'd do the same thing in your industry of choice don't lie. Yeah it's people but that gets old real quick when you don't actually have any money and expect everything to run on hopes dreams and facebook likes for kids with Cancer. (Of which I'm perfectly fine paying for the kids with Cancer, they didn't decide to get that poo poo. But not Sally Scumbag, gently caress her >:| )

I'd need more of a breakdown on that bill, I hate single post OPs. Like, any more info jackass? Anything? You're* paying for 4 full days of a hospital room treatment, with an entire floor/wing taking your vitals, giving you medications, and performing checkups and tests. probably one night in the ICU which there is literally a TEAM of doctors ready to do all sorts of poo poo 24/7 within like 3 minutes, an Ambulance ride that was ALS (Possibly a helicopter depending on if you were out in the loving boonies or something when you got bitten by a rattlesnake) plus the meds and antivenom that for all we know they had to fly in on helicopter depending on how much you needed.

The meds are obvs the huge cost but they probably used 4-5 different high-end anti-venoms, plus antibiotics, plus whatever else was needed via IV, or whatever method they used... depending on the bite and the length of time, and even where the bite was. Lab tests to make sure shits actually working. Also you needed Therapy services.

Reading the top part, you applied to Med-Cali, which once that poo poo kicks in (Instead of the whats probably going to happen thing of not doing it because gently caress the police or something) they will cover a LOT of this.

But yeah, posting this on reddit's outstandin and fixes everything.

*You is obviously not OP OP is reposting stuff methinks.

Hope the best for the dude that just lived through a rattlesnake bite and spent 4 days in the hospital as a result, in any case.

uhc would be cheaper per person for a population of 300 million than 35 million

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Phoon posted:

uhc would be cheaper per person for a population of 300 million than 35 million

No, no, it doesn't scale well, you see.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Batterypowered7 posted:

No, no, it doesn't scale well, you see.

That's actually the case because look at the total hospitals and medical facilities per area.

That and lets not forget that private practices can deny any sort of UHC program.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014
Thought the thread was going to be about the NSA, or maybe cops blasting civilians at will. Healthcare debate? Voted 1.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

burritolingus posted:

If you don't pay your hospital bill, what are they gonna do? Kill you? Pffft I'd like to see those assholes try.

Back in the 70s, there was a Twilight Zone comic book. One of the stories was just that. A guy in a very rural part of the country runs a private fire department and charges people to save their houses. Eventually he turns to arson to increase revenues. A family dies when dad can't pay the bill and the guy just watches the house burn, rather than help.

A few days later guy is involved in horrific car wreck. He loses both legs and an arm. In the hospital they fix him up, which requires transplanted limbs, dozens of units of blood, and a long stay in ICU. When they present him with the bill, he can't pay, and they keep him alive long enough to produce all the blood they gave him, then they take back the transplanted limbs. The final frame shows a one-limbed skeleton sitting in a wheel chair in a vacant lot, in front of a big sign reading "Coming in 1980! A New, High-Tech Hospital to Better Serve You!"

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

genesplicer posted:

Back in the 70s, there was a Twilight Zone comic book. One of the stories was just that. A guy in a very rural part of the country runs a private fire department and charges people to save their houses. Eventually he turns to arson to increase revenues. A family dies when dad can't pay the bill and the guy just watches the house burn, rather than help.

A few days later guy is involved in horrific car wreck. He loses both legs and an arm. In the hospital they fix him up, which requires transplanted limbs, dozens of units of blood, and a long stay in ICU. When they present him with the bill, he can't pay, and they keep him alive long enough to produce all the blood they gave him, then they take back the transplanted limbs. The final frame shows a one-limbed skeleton sitting in a wheel chair in a vacant lot, in front of a big sign reading "Coming in 1980! A New, High-Tech Hospital to Better Serve You!"

Goddamn I love the Twilight Zone.

If you're going by chargemaster costs my wife and I ran up about 150k in medical expenses over the past 12 months through injuries and surgeries and such but since we don't live in a libertarian hellhole we got treated and are productive members of society, funny how that works.

There's no way snakebite selfie guy is gonna pay 150k for that, US hospital billing is wacky and nonsensical.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
UHC should be a mandated requirement for the government, like if anyone needs healthcare and isn't getting it for some reason that should result in the termination of some incompetent bureaucrat's career

any monetary obstacles to providing effective UHC should be solved with brute force because anyone refusing to help heal their fellow countryman's ails because there isn't profit or enough profit in it is human garbage and does not deserve to be reasoned with

corpuscollossus
Apr 19, 2007
Americans are hilariously cute wrt the concepts of liberty, justice and personal agency

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gotta love how they look at you like you have 3 heads if you ask how much a routine procedure might cost. Even places that mostly handle uninsured people.

corpuscollossus posted:

Americans are hilariously cute wrt the concepts of liberty, justice and personal agency

Healthcare is just yet another way for your boss to threaten to ruin your life if you offend him or try to leave. Can't let that bargaining chip go, poors might move around more than they're already forced to.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

With no private health insurance I had appendicitis and an infection throughout my intestinal wall. I spent a fortnight in hospital, had surgery, multiple doses of morphine and oral pain relief, IV antibiotics, a pack of oral antibiotics to take home, all meals provided. The bill: $0. Please sort out your poo poo america or at the very least stop slowly exporting it to my part of the world, I don't need that.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Moon Atari posted:

With no private health insurance I had appendicitis and an infection throughout my intestinal wall. I spent a fortnight in hospital, had surgery, multiple doses of morphine and oral pain relief, IV antibiotics, a pack of oral antibiotics to take home, all meals provided. The bill: $0. Please sort out your poo poo america or at the very least stop slowly exporting it to my part of the world, I don't need that.

There are about 40-50 million complete retards in this country who vote entirely against their own interests called Republicans. So that's not going to happen any time soon.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Powercrazy posted:

actually a lot of us have jobs with insurance and we wouldn't pay near as much as the bill in the OP

also most of us don't play with venomous wild animals

Moon Atari posted:

can whatever country you live in and step up to secure international shipping and defend the US so we can have UHC too plz

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
Lotta disgusting victim blaming ITT

fuckers should be ashamed of yourselves

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

VikingSkull posted:

can whatever country you live in and step up to secure international shipping and defend the US so we can have UHC too plz

Suggesting what we spend on the Navy would even be close to what we need for UHC.

The best part is that we can actually afford it anyway if we really wanted it.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

The problem with the US is that there are so many poor, unhealthy people (esp in the south) that we simply do not produce enough healthcare to offer it for free to everyone. How else do you limit it? First-come, first-served? Yea, that's not going to fly the first time some millionaire needs a new pancreas and he's being held up by 10 fatso poors.

Frankly, I'm surprised that you can't buy organs in America -- I mean, legally, or is there a loophole that I don't know about?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

crabcakes66 posted:

Suggesting what we spend on the Navy would even be close to what we need for UHC.

The best part is that we can actually afford it anyway if we really wanted it.

yeah I know but it would be cheaper if we stopped propping up European decadence and let the Germans handle that

huskarl_marx posted:

Lotta disgusting victim blaming ITT

fuckers should be ashamed of yourselves

uninsured people should be allowed to play with wild and poisonous animals and you're a monster if you suggest otherwise

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
Eat poo poo you strawmanning son of a bitch

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

huskarl_marx posted:

Eat poo poo you strawmanning son of a bitch

I'm all for UHC but the dude in the OP is a loving moron, sorry, he took a selfie with a rattlesnake and depleted 2 hospitals of anti-venom

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
Still not a good argument for debt peonage

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
you're right they should have let him die

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
a shameful opinion